• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast/others submitting false FCC User Comments on Net Neutrality

Searched for my name and it's pretty weird. There's 6 listings, and all of them have the same pro-net neutrality comment that I wrote except for one, but it is still net neutrality positive, but posted from a different state. It could be another person with my name but it was posted on the same day...

But only poor minorities commit fraud (voter fraud, theft, etc.), remember? The good folks at Faux News and in the Republican Party of Traitors told me so. They told me huge multinational corporations always had the customer's back. Why would they lie?

Morts

Searched my name, found a comment i definitely didnt make.

I believe The Verge had a story about this recently. I'm surprised it didn't blow up.

Please tell me somebody is going to take them to task for this bullshit

It won't be the federal government, that's for sure.

But there's probably a class action lawsuit waiting to happen involving privacy laws, assuming they can prove who used the customer information.

Most blatantly illegal thing I've seen a company in America do in a decade. At least.

Did you forget Volkswagen?

I searched my last name, luckily my name wasn't there, but look at this. Not going to say the name, but NO WAY IN FUCKIN HELL is this just a regular joe schmoe internet customer. It uses so much jargon it's absurd.

"The unprecedented regulatory power the Obama Administration imposed on the internet is smothering innovation, damaging the American economy and obstructing job creation. I urge the Federal Communications Commission to end the bureaucratic regulatory overreach of the internet known as Title II and restore the bipartisan light-touch regulatory consensus that enabled the internet to flourish for more than 20 years. The plan currently under consideration at the FCC to repeal Obama's Title II power grab is a positive step forward and will help to promote a truly free and open internet for everyone."

Yeah, I'm sure that the average person uses terms like "bipartisan light-touch regulatory consensus" in their fierce and strangely specific impassioned defense of a multi billion dollar corporation...

Joeku

It won't be the federal government, that's for sure.

But there's probably a class action lawsuit waiting to happen involving privacy laws, assuming they can prove who used the customer information.
Well the class action is expected, but surely this must be illegal?

How hot is the water they're in here?

These fucks need to boil.

Fisty

I remember when Comcast used to throttle my internet speeds because I used Netflix streaming. It took a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT to make them stop.

Fuck em

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I searched my last name, luckily my name wasn't there, but look at this. Not going to say the name, but NO WAY IN FUCKIN HELL is this just a regular joe schmoe internet customer. It uses so much jargon it's absurd.

"The unprecedented regulatory power the Obama Administration imposed on the internet is smothering innovation, damaging the American economy and obstructing job creation. I urge the Federal Communications Commission to end the bureaucratic regulatory overreach of the internet known as Title II and restore the bipartisan light-touch regulatory consensus that enabled the internet to flourish for more than 20 years. The plan currently under consideration at the FCC to repeal Obama's Title II power grab is a positive step forward and will help to promote a truly free and open internet for everyone."

Yeah, I'm sure that the average person uses terms like "bipartisan light-touch regulatory consensus" in their fierce and strangely specific impassioned defense of a multi billion dollar corporation...
thats exactly the same as whats under my name.

Speely

Banned
If you just search "smith" you can see it updating in real time there are so many entries.

Fucking horrible.

Can anybody submit one with falsified name/address? I noticed there's one for Trump with the WH address and am curious if somebody did it as a joke or if they really did something like that.

I suspect Comcast is not having bots run through their subscriber's data to post robo-comments. They probably sold the info to someone who did so I don't really care if they take heat for it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
also guys, it doesnt matter if people sue. the FCC will just use this as "proof" of why the comments against their new rules should be ignored.

rucury

Banned
Losing net neutrality... I can't begin to imagine the consequences it could have. One of the scariest solvable problems right now in the U.S, imo

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
also guys, it doesnt matter if people sue. the FCC will just use this as "proof" of why the comments against their new rules should be ignored.

Then they need to take comments in person.

Guarnetee the amount of real people against will vastly outnumber the for.

I put in my wifes maiden last name. Even a slightly unique last name like hers and the responses were all bots.

Just try random last names.

chekhonte

It (appears) to be easy to buy off congress. I hope it proves a little more difficult to dupe the public.

Let's pray for an angry backlash.

Are we sure it's comcast?

I put in a generic last name of "Burns". Out of 263 responses only 5 were not bots. Nothing will be done about this for sure and it looks like there is probably nothing we can do to stop the end of net neutrality short of everyone cancelling their internet service together.

Media

My husband's name is there, and we have a very uncommon last name. Address is wrong though. Wtf. Mine isn't but we are subscribed to Comcast under his name.

searched my last name and found my dads name. It wasn't my dad(address didn't match nor has he ever lived in that state) but what I found more shocking is every other result has the same comment as the one in the op

RCSI

Here's another bot text that shows up, this time with liberal extremists:

I was outraged by the Obama/Wheeler FCC's decision to reclassify the Internet as a regulated "public utility" under a Depression-era law written for the old Ma Bell telephone monopoly. Government utility regulation of the Internet risks devastating private investment, undermining competition, and stalling innovation. It also puts consumers at serious risk of being hit with a new "broadband tax" to cover the lack of private sector investment due to these regulations. The liberal extremist groups that ginned up fake support for reclassification include the group Free Press, which was cited 62 times in the Title II order. Free Press was founded by ultraliberal college professor Robert McChesney who has admitted: "At the moment, the battle over network neutrality is not to completely eliminate the telephone and cable companies. We are not at that point yet. But the ultimate goal is to get rid of the media capitalists in the phone and cable companies and to divest them from control." Clearly, these extremists groups are openly hostile to America's free-market economy. The Trump/Pai FCC is right to revisit this issue. I urge you to stand up to the radical extremists who took over the FCC under Obama and protect our free-market Internet by rescinding the Title II order.

shiba5

What happened to all the tech companies that were fighting for net neutrality last time? I haven't heard anything from them this time.
We're fucked aren't we? :(

ElRenoRaven

Yup saw this awhile ago. It's one reason that commenting was temporarily down. Course the FCC decided they're gonna honor all comments and brought it back up. This is so rigged it isn't funny. You have an FCC now that has vowed to destroy net Neutrality and with the help of shitty companies like Comcast will pull it off.

Top Bottom