• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

I think a lot of people missed or chose to ignore the post by the person who wrote up what vgleaks got its hands on. Was specifically mentioned the info is not fully accurate and a lot missing such as the fact the GPU can handle things beyond SM4.0 etc

Link?

I think a lot of people missed or chose to ignore the post by the person who wrote up what vgleaks got its hands on. Was specifically mentioned the info is not fully accurate and a lot missing such as the fact the GPU can handle things beyond SM4.0 etc

Indeed. And that his impressions of the system had improved since he first started posting in January. Nevertheless, people will be GAF.

majik13

what post? this thread moves fast

Yuripaw

Banned
So...from what I know, and my manager actually wanted me to let people know something is happening Thursday, so I guess I couldn't get in trouble for posting this...is I don't think everyone at gamestop knows exactly what's going on. I've seen some of you guys say in this thread that gamestop is showing the conference on Friday on their TVs, the day after conference...yet my manager told me that they would be airing it live on the gamestop TVs as it's going on. He didn't seem sure that preorders would be in the computer either, but he said it was a "possibility."

The thing that still seems weird to me, unless the higher ups have some kind of deal with Nintendo, and they know all the details from the press conference before it airs, I'm not sure how we would take preorders for it. Nintendo starts the conference at 9am in my time zone, and my store opens at 9am. If for instance there are multiple versions of the system, at 3 different prices, it's gonna be difficult selling that stuff when even I won't know what they are yet. Not to mention launch games, and accessories. Gamestop likes to get people to do that stuff all at once. Unless that stuff may be in the computer before the press conference airs, but that seems weird to me. I have never seen that happen before where stuff was in the computer prior to any public announcement. The day after, yes, but not exactly when it's going on. Take that for what it's worth though. I honestly don't know any thing more, which is driving me crazy, because I open the store that morning.

majik13

So...from what I know, and my manager actually wanted me to let people know something is happening Thursday, so I guess I couldn't get in trouble for posting this...is I don't think everyone at gamestop knows exactly what's going on. I've seen some of you guys say in this thread that gamestop is showing the conference on Friday on their TVs, the day after conference...yet my manager told me that they would be airing it live on the gamestop TVs as it's going on. He didn't seem sure that preorders would be in the computer either, but he said it was a "possibility."

The thing that still seems weird to me, unless the higher ups have some kind of deal with Nintendo, and they know all the details from the press conference before it airs, I'm not sure how we would take preorders for it. Nintendo starts the conference at 9am in my time zone, and my store opens at 9am. If for instance there are multiple versions of the system, at 3 different prices, it's gonna be difficult selling that stuff when even I won't know what they are yet. Not to mention launch games, and accessories. Gamestop likes to get people to do that stuff all at once. Unless that stuff may be in the computer before the press conference airs, but that seems weird to me. I have never seen that happen before where stuff was in the computer prior to any public announcement. The day after, yes, but not exactly when it's going on. Take that for what it's worth though. I honestly don't know any thing more, which is driving me crazy, because I open the store that morning.

dat cray

NateDrake

When is the Wii U conference tomorrow?

Thursday at 10am Eastern

The site that Goes Nintendo had a GameStop memo saying the conference will air on Friday in GS locations but after the conference concludes the store will get a corporate email with details from the conference.

D-e-f-

Banned
Its about probability.

The next gen could be

A. Less powerful than this current generation.

B. On par with current generation.

C. Barely more powerful than current generation.

D. Substantially more powerful than current generation and visually a clear generational leap

E. Totally revolutionary and would require second jobs to afford.

Based on past experience, I'm willing ot bed D is the most probable answer for Sony and MS. All indications are that the Wii U is closer to C.

Always E. Always, for everything, all the time. Did you not see their marketing? Everything is always absolutely crazy revolutionary and new from everybody! We should all just be thankful that they are giving these wonderful things to us lowly folk!

----

Sidenote: anyone wanna join me in asking the Terraria devs for a Wii U port of the game? They've just announced PSN/XBLA ports yesterday. I sent them a nice email asking for a Wii U version :)

Yuripaw

Banned
The site that Goes Nintendo had a GameStop memo saying the conference will air on Friday in GS locations but after the conference concludes the store will get a corporate email with details from the conference.

I see...well you guys know more than I do I guess then.

HegeMon

Neo Member
I agree with this, with Free 2 play being so big now, and cheap iOS games being big, what devs are really going to push out billion dollar budgets to make AAA games using up 6 GB of RAM? Activision? It would be suicide trust me the leap next gen will not be Wii to 360 type leap. Its just not gonna be a generation leap, even if those consoles are real powerful most devs will be level headed.

Some publishers may try, but they are secretly counting on being the last publisher standing in an arms race. Of course, shareholders won't put up with that strategy for long if it doesn't pan out.

Here's what I don't get: Your point is so obviously true, and yet folks around here and other gaming forums seem to think that the next gen is somehow going to be the same as this one, only more so. Yet no one can explain how this is remotely possible. (EatChildren has suggested that a fundamental change in game architecture could happen and change games more profoundly, but for everyone else it's shaders, tesselation, 1080p, and the budgets to go with it.)

antonz

what post? this thread moves fast
Per nintendo's docs the GPU's API "GX2" Supports some features greater than SM 4. SM4 is just given as a point of reference. Ill post the detail later when I have the time.

and on a side note:
Wow vgleaks.com didnt even change a single word or my formatting... That part is kind of sad. I should have made something up just to make them(and who ever "shared" my discussion) look bad :p

Some yes. But the same problems are still present if you are porting a game over from the Xbox360. So if companies dont want to invest retooling games, you will get crappy(downgraded) ports.

That said,I am nothing but excited for the console and cant't wait to see the first round of games made from the ground up on the WiiU. That is when we will see what this little beast can do!

Some of the posts made.

jmizzal

Thanks for the info, I really hope they dont start preorders until Friday, I want to trade in my Wii but I need to know all the info on how Wii shop games will be transferd first before I do anything like that. But if I wait to late I may be out of luck and the preorders may be sold out.

antonz

What do you think those things are/should be?

Shaders and tessellation are likely things. How advanced they really went is the question. at a minimum they were already using SM 4.1 with a 10.1 DX equivalency.

Leak suggested Wii U support showed up in UE4 page so will have to wait and see probably. I sadly only have access to the UE3 pages so cant say anything on UE4.

Nintendo with the Wii U has made a system that in a way is very easy to port too if your publisher doesn't give a shit on overall quality. You take 360 code and throw it on the Wii U and sure it will work but its not going to be very effective or pretty. You have to rework the code to take advantage of the decisions Nintendo made. Its why 2nd gen Wii U games will start to be a lot nicer as its not just a late in development port etc

The M.O.B

Tessellation is overrated. I have yet to see it make an amazing difference with anything. Then again you only see it on PC games.

Played all the way through Crysis 2 with it and it was barely noticeable until you stopped and actually looked for examples of it. The water was the one thing I thought greatly benefited from it.

Lost Planet 2, it makes monsters bumpier.............okay

Yes it smooth's a lot of stuff out, but nothing that impactful that you would notice right away.

NateDrake

I see...well you guys know more than I do I guess then.

That is just based on the memo they received. So preorders could happen on Thursday but it looks like it'll be after, let's say, 10:30am or whenever the details are announced. Doubt Nintendo wants price/launch date leaking early.

Yuripaw

Banned
That is just based on the memo they received. So preorders could happen on Thursday but it looks like it'll be after, let's say, 10:30am or whenever the details are announced. Doubt Nintendo wants price/launch date leaking early.

Items never get added in the computer for preorder mid business day, it's always overnight stuff is added.

NateDrake

Items never get added in the computer for preorder mid business day, it's always overnight stuff is added.

Reading the memo again and it says they want managers on Thursday to answer customers questions regarding Wii U. No mention of preorders but a communications email will be sent once the conference concludes.

pWMMW.jpg

RagnarokX

Reading the memo again and it says they want managers on Thursday to answer customers questions regarding Wii U. No mention of preorders but a communications email will be sent once the conference concludes.

pWMMW.jpg

If previous threads about Gamestop are any indication, this is the first time many managers have heard of WiiU.

Reclaimer

Just got my San Francisco WiiU Experience invite! Nice!

It looks like its only an hour or two long...? Worth the hour drive to check out?

Medalion

Banned
It's the first time a lot of people have heard about it as well that it is a successor system, not a new Wii accessory or portable stand alone tablet

So what's the mood in here? I get the feeling everyone might be on edge.

I think things are going to be back on track now that we are a little over a day away. What we saw yesterday isn't surprising since most haven't followed Wii U progress like we have in these threads. So I think the intensity felt from those reactions is settling down.

I know I'm ready to learn about what all these secret features can do. It'd be interesting if the Gamepad in TV remote mode also has Kinect-like capabilities to control the TV.

likely what will happen with preorders is this. Week or so ago when the COD where announced, GS somehow added a SKU for preorders and the stores were alerts to this via gamestop's "intranet" & emails from DM, RM, etc... The next day the sku was added to the regular pre-order list along with everything else. So, if preorders are available Thurs it will likely be a similar set up. As for the video streaming live, I haven't heard anything from management (store level or otherwise). The Friday thing was communicated to to all stores (with no specifics). I tend to not think its gonan be streamed instore (live) due to the time difference. Stores typically don't staff up until 30 min -1 hour before opening, so anyone not in CNT or EST would have to come to work 1-2 hours early. And though they are salaried, GS isn't gonna front the payroll hours to offset it. It may stream live

AzaK

same time but there is only uk and au directs announced so far

Huh? Aussie ND........<goes to nintendo.com.au>.....holy moly......oh....it's just the UK one.

Don't think I'll be up at 1am for the US one, nor 2am for the UK one, but I'm tempted.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Any predictions for the final feature?

I'm thinking real time streaming of what you or your friends are currently playing. Maybe demonstrated by Black Ops 2, but shown to be an OS feature.

I'm thinking real time streaming of what you or your friends are currently playing. Maybe demonstrated by Black Ops 2, but shown to be an OS feature.

You probably shouldn't count of BO2 being shown in any playable (or video) form on the Wii U. MS has the series locked down as far as media goes. They only show the game running on 360's before their release.

AzaK

That would be an interesting and viable feature. They have video encoders in the thing anyway (For the DRC, and possibly two of them due to the two GamePad features). I also remember that being mentioned as a possible feature of Cafe way back when we first heard of it, but I'm not sure if it was mentioned by a Nintendo person or just a member of the press.

The main reason I would think that it wouldn't be in there is that it's not really a "mainstream" feature but more high end.

AniHawk

The rumor is Gamestop is taking WiiU Preorders Thursday morning when they open, if thats true wouldnt they let people know this before Thurday? Not just the people who went into the store this week. I was told by a Gamestop employee that they will give a call to people who preordered WiiU games, I have so if I dont get a call i'm not gonna just show up there.

it's okay. you should be able to walk in day one and pick it up if the 3ds, ds, and gamecube are any indication

TriGen

it's okay. you should be able to walk in day one and pick it up if the 3ds, ds, and gamecube are any indication

I've been able to walk in on day one and pick up any console I've ever wanted, even the supposed difficult ones like the 360 (got 4 actually) and the Wii. The problem is you never know when that plan will backfire, so I'm not taking the chance anymore, pre-order day one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom