• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

That makes sense but maybe I am just missing something, I havent spent hardly anytime messing with it much yet.

Has anyone tried first person mode? How does it feel?

first person is terrible. at least when i tried. it just doesn't feel fine. not even minecraft level fun.

TP is better lol.

Do you unlock new outfits for your characters and new abilities too? Like how the construction guy has that dash attack, that chick has the grenade and so on. But do we get more?

Only just now realized that blue circle when destroying objects is a crit spot. Wtf

Yeah. I said the same thing yesterday. Game doesn't teach you, but when I realized, my harvesting speed was so much faster.

It's like the second skill you learn on skill tree and when open the Manila envelope reward after completing it explains to you what it does. Don't be so quick to X out of thing they explain that super early.

Maybe a stupid question but I'm out of ammo and I can't create any either. How do I just travel to a place with some cars that I can destroy and then get back to my quest?

Maybe a stupid question but I'm out of ammo and I can't create any either. How do I just travel to a place with some cars that I can destroy and then get back to my quest?

Go to map. Find a non-forest location. It'll say something like industrial park, ubran, city, etc..

But, in forest areas you will find metal nodes and occasionally areas you can farm metal in. But for nuts and bolts your best best is populated areas.

Tei

Neo Member
Do you unlock new outfits for your characters and new abilities too? Like how the construction guy has that dash attack, that chick has the grenade and so on. But do we get more?

After finishing the first area, you get access to the second one. It seems you get 2 new abilities, different for different classes, on top of the generic ones (heal, airstrike).

I have not seen newoutfits, but seems theres a lot of different heroes, and special version of existing heroes. Also some heroes change (become more cool) when they evolve stars.

So a lot in the look variety, but is not free has you would want it to be.

Wow, good thing I've been saving my points for so long before unlocking the tier 2 tree. This tree is crazy good.

Edit: Was saving weapon XP as well. Now my sniper rifle's level 20 with 713.8 DPS.

jond76

Banned
first person is terrible. at least when i tried. it just doesn't feel fine. not even minecraft level fun.

TP is better lol.

I was excited to they first person but its not good. Its just a floating camera. You don't see your hands or weapons. No first person animations at all. Third person is the way to go.

KodaRuss

What class is everyone using? I have really only been sticking with the Legendary Soldier I got from a llama I smashed on the preorder bonuses. Is there any reason to switch around early on?

It seems that the unlocks are global and you can spend experience and level up any character without having to play them?

aka_bueno

Anyone else playing on XB1s? Is the game laggy for you?

I'm getting terrible lag, even in the menus it's sluggish and laggy. In-game there's always some sort of lag randomly for short periods of time. It's a little annoying.

Haven't played since maintainence so hopefully it's better today.

What class is everyone using? I have really only been sticking with the Legendary Soldier I got from a llama I smashed on the preorder bonuses. Is there any reason to switch around early on?

It seems that the unlocks are global and you can spend experience and level up any character without having to play them?

i went with the ninja that has the ninja kick and smoke bomb. i had the other ninja with the shuriken. i ain't no genji lol. that and the double jump helps reaching high places without having to build stairs.

KodaRuss

i went with the ninja that has the ninja kick and smoke bomb. i had the other ninja with the shuriken. i ain't no genji lol. that and the double jump helps reaching high places without having to build stairs.

Double Jump huh, not having to build stairs would be pretty sweet. I am almost to the Soldier's next unlock. Might give the ninja a try though.

R0ckman

Thats the blue one you posted earlier right?

Go to map. Find a non-forest location. It'll say something like industrial park, ubran, city, etc..

But, in forest areas you will find metal nodes and occasionally areas you can farm metal in. But for nuts and bolts your best best is populated areas.

And when I'm done there I can just exit the place and keep those resources?

After finishing the first area, you get access to the second one. It seems you get 2 new abilities, different for different classes, on top of the generic ones (heal, airstrike).

I have not seen newoutfits, but seems theres a lot of different heroes, and special version of existing heroes. Also some heroes change (become more cool) when they evolve stars.

So a lot in the look variety, but is not free has you would want it to be.

Hmmm I see. Because just now I unlocked the Ninja character but it's a female here and I also saw a male version somewhere I believe.

Thats the blue one you posted earlier right?

yep. i forgot when and how i got her but she's my go to.

Double Jump huh, not having to build stairs would be pretty sweet. I am almost to the Soldier's next unlock. Might give the ninja a try though.

yeah. don't have to really build stairs at the base as well. just double jump up. lol

but a double jump uses 50 energy. (may have a skill later that decrease the amount of energy?)

Nialrot

So whats the early reports on this game, any good?

Enjoyable grind fest.

You can spend hours playing or if your short on time you can pop on for a single mission for like 15-20 mins.

Tons of loot and serious upgrade potential via multiple skill trees.

Good times, especially with competent teammates.

the only thing i don't know is what their walk path is. i scout the area where they will spawn but these things just go whatever way they want sometimes. the best thing to do is go down and distract them. they will follow you. give your teammates time to kill them. some of the later zombies can be ruthless.

if you stand there and don't realize what's going on lol.

also i'm almost there to unlocking skill tree #2. i might just finish off the skills before i go for #2.

also found a sniper rifle that deals fire damage over time. i like the little aesthetic because the dmg number that pops up is also on fire. and increase in size if you get a crit hit lol.

Redshirt

Banned
It's like the second skill you learn on skill tree and when open the Manila envelope reward after completing it explains to you what it does. Don't be so quick to X out of thing they explain that super early.

Yeah. Yeah. Like I said, I was rushing to get those friend codes, so suck it! :p

Q--_-

Anyone else playing on XB1s? Is the game laggy for you?

I'm getting terrible lag, even in the menus it's sluggish and laggy. In-game there's always some sort of lag randomly for short periods of time. It's a little annoying.

Haven't played since maintainence so hopefully it's better today.

No problems here.

R0ckman

the only thing i don't know is what their walk path is. i scout the area where they will spawn but these things just go whatever way they want sometimes. the best thing to do is go down and distract them. they will follow you. give your teammates time to kill them. some of the later zombies can be ruthless.

if you stand there and don't realize what's going on lol.

also i'm almost there to unlocking skill tree #2. i might just finish off the skills before i go for #2.

also found a sniper rifle that deals fire damage over time. i like the little aesthetic because the dmg number that pops up is also on fire. and increase in size if you get a crit hit lol.

Have a flamming pistol that does this, are there any other elements?

Shredderi

I don't really understand leveling/evolving yet. When I inspect my hero it has all the abilities listed out. I don't really know what the numbers next to them mean. Like it has an ability and the number 18 next to it.

B-Dex

I don't really understand leveling/evolving yet. When I inspect my hero it has all the abilities listed out. I don't really know what the numbers next to them mean. Like it has an ability and the number 18 next to it.

It gets that ability at lvl 18.

Palmer_v1

I'm just into the second tier area. Glad the difficulty is finally ramping up. I only have a few issues with the game.

The general lack of transparency is kind of aggravating. Like I don't really know how the AI operates, which is usually very important to a wave defense kind of game.

The way you progress everything is also a bit weird. They give you access to Transform early on, but it seems like it can only get you green items until you upgrade it, which is somewhere far deeper into the skill tree.

I'm unclear on if the collection book is taking weapons, or weapon schematic at first glance.

What exactly affects my power level, and how does that affect my ability to kill enemies or varying power levels.

What the hell do I do with the like 5 stacks each of the green resources I have?

Not to mention just the general annoyance at how the menus are navigated.

Base defenses are boring overall. The fact that traps only affect one tile is pretty lame. You just end up building low walls to slow them down while you shoot them. I want some insane Deception/OMD! style trap setups.

Weird terrain blocks you from building better looking structures sometimes. Wish you could terraform to some degree in these instances.

Leveled up snipers and pistols not one shotting normal zombies with headshots is aggravating. It makes them very inefficient.

Skill cooldowns are awfully long. Only getting one airstrike per defense is pretty lame. The supply drop is incredibly underwhelming. 5 minutes for 90 wood, brick and metal? What a waste.

deoee

Is it possible to "resend" the friend code (or send them to another person) for PS4 if a person does not revoke them?

Does base building really matter eventually? Cause outside of your personal base defense missions, the regular missions all seem stupid easy and the husks almost never do any damage or even reach the base

Does base building really matter eventually? Cause outside of your personal base defense missions, the regular missions all seem stupid easy and the husks almost never do any damage or even reach the base

early game you don't really need to go all fancy. most of the time they don't make it to base.

Wow, been helping randoms defend their own bases, and some people have some really elaborate designs.

Unfortunately I fell in between four walls with no door on the one I'm currently on, and the host hasn't noticed me yet.

killroy87

Dumb question here: How does weapon durability work in relation to leveling weapons up? Like, why would I level a weapon up if it will break? Or am I levelling up the schematic for that weapon, so each one I craft from now on will be stronger?

Dumb question here: How does weapon durability work in relation to leveling weapons up? Like, why would I level a weapon up if it will break? Or am I levelling up the schematic for that weapon, so each one I craft from now on will be stronger?

just the schematic for the weapon gets leveled up to make it stronger and better when you craft. i don't think they even give you an option to upgrade for stuff you don't own a plan for.

bender

What time is it?
Played a bunch over the weekend. They really need to work on the tutorial in the game as it lasts far too long and still doesn't do the best job explaining all of the systems in the game. The lack of difficulty in the game early on (I'm power level 13) is also an issue. Beyond putting up a set of walls, there is little reason to build defenses at your home base or around other mission objectives as the herds of zombies aren't big enough or challenging enough to warrant wasting your resources. I'm sure it gets more difficult later on in the game but it really needs to up the challenge earlier to keep player engaged and show them the benefits of a well built fort. I also think the control scheme on controllers could use some work not to mention the UI. Other random thoughts and I could be missing something:

-Backpack limit and tiny on-base storage limit is annoying.
-Wish there was an easier way to tear down something at your home base. Not getting any of the crafting resources back is also bothersome.
-Wish you could repair weapons even if it were just for the ones you own schematics for. Seems like your best bet is to recycle the item before it breaks to get materials back to re-craft it.
-Why do I have to be in a mission or at my home base to manage my inventory?

cobell

Played a bunch over the weekend. They really need to work on the tutorial in the game as it lasts far too long and still doesn't do the best job explaining all of the systems in the game. The lack of difficulty in the game early on (I'm power level 13) is also an issue. Beyond putting up a set of walls, there is little reason to build defenses at your home base or around other mission objectives as the herds of zombies aren't big enough or challenging enough to warrant wasting your resources. I'm sure it gets more difficult later on in the game but it really needs to up the challenge earlier to keep player engaged and show them the benefits of a well built fort. I also think the control scheme on controllers could use some work not to mention the UI. Other random thoughts and I could be missing something:

-Wish there was an easier way to tear down something at your home base. Not getting any of the crafting resources back is also bothersome.
-Wish you could repair weapons even if it were just for the ones you own schematics for. Seems like your best bet is to recycle the item before it breaks to get materials back to re-craft it.

Beyond agreeing with those wishes, here's one thing that can help with tearing things down that you construct. If you enter edit mode and change it to anything else, it reset the health to zero and it rebuilds. This makes it a little faster to break down (as you will damage faster than the build speed).

Note you can't do this that has a trap as it locks the structure.

killroy87

Bolded is probably my biggest beef as well. I feel like I keep finding mechanics to this game that just aren’t explained at all. Which is fine to a degree, I’m a pretty savvy person who can come on here and ask questions. But the majority of users won’t have the patience to seek that information out. They need to revamp the tutorial to incorporate another layer of complexity from the game.

I’m really enjoying the game as it stands, but I’m pretty busy and my gaming time is precious, so I’s a bit frustrating that I need to spend so much time outside of the experience to find things out.

hollomat

Banned
Where can I go to farm mats for crafting rare and uncommon weapons? I've got a ton of these schematics but I don't have enough mats to even craft one.

bender

What time is it?
Thank you for the de-construction tip but I think that's a mechanic that needs to be added. You also can't seem to move traps once you've placed them so if you want to do reconstruction, you have basically wasted that resource. Base building is my favorite mechanic so far but boy does it come with it's own share of frustrations that seem to be little more than needless time wasters and not something you can pay-to-fix.

Crating sub-components for weapon crafting was the most confusing part to me. Take "Blasting Powder" as an example. It has two sub-components. I had plenty of one resource but not the other. As far as I can tell, it only give you an icon of what that item is and not the actually name. Turns out the little black square was coal but it was a mystery until I randomly looted that material. If you have a material in your inventory, it also tells you were it can commonly be looted. You can file this under the "I might be missing something" category but an encyclopedia of materials would be nice.

Where can I go to farm mats for crafting rare and uncommon weapons? I've got a ton of these schematics but I don't have enough mats to even craft one.

What materials are you missing? A habit I fell into early own was that I'd just use my pickax for gathering. You want to loot (hold square on PS4) as much as you can to gather crafting materials.

Vic_Viper

Anyone know how to get the red sword for the Ninja class? Seen someone using it the other day. Looks like the sword from MGS Rising.

Also how do you get the White armor for Ninja?

Top Bottom