• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

J3ffro

Wow, been helping randoms defend their own bases, and some people have some really elaborate designs.

Unfortunately I fell in between four walls with no door on the one I'm currently on, and the host hasn't noticed me yet.

This sounds like literal video game hell.

I'm trying to figure out the pathing. I can't seem to get them to move in any way that would justify building these cool castles or even sniper towers or trap hallways. I try to leave open paths to the Atlas, but they just attack the walls. Any tips on getting them to use the spaces between walls?

J3ffro

I'm trying to figure out the pathing. I can't seem to get them to move in any way that would justify building these cool castles or even sniper towers or trap hallways. I try to leave open paths to the Atlas, but they just attack the walls. Any tips on getting them to use the spaces between walls?

I'm still figuring it out, but giving them a path, that they don't have to divert too much to go through helps a ton. Also, if the walls they are inclined to tear down have been fully upgraded, and loaded with one of those spikey traps, that helps too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Any way to work on your base and access your storage without having to play an entire damn defense mission?

That's my biggest gripe.

Someone in the Reddit AMA was trying to tell someone else that they could edit the material of already placed walls and stuff, and said you could just right click while in the edit screen. That's the reset button for me though.

Is it something in a skill tree or something, or is he bullshitting me and there's no actual way to change the material of placed objects yet?

Any way to work on your base and access your storage without having to play an entire damn defense mission?

That's my biggest gripe.
Just open the map and go to your base.

That starts a mission though...
It doesn't start one unless you're on one, and besides, just put your stuff in storage and build onto your base. End the game when you're done. You don't have to complete the objective.

J3ffro

That starts a mission though...

Maybe if your next mission is to defend your base. My current quest/mission is something else, and if I go to my Storm Shield from the map, it loads me in, with some verbiage about not being ready to expand yet.

aka_bueno

Someone in the Reddit AMA was trying to tell someone else that they could edit the material of already placed walls and stuff, and said you could just right click while in the edit screen. That's the reset button for me though.

Is it something in a skill tree or something, or is he bullshitting me and there's no actual way to change the material of placed objects yet?

Just open the map and go to your base.
If you’ve unlocked the building upgrades, you can upgrade the material to a higher level version of that material (it will alter the look too) but I don’t think you can change the material type? Can you?

Is it worth getting the Deluxe edition over the standard one?, not sure how the extras your get effect the game??

You get a couple extra llamas right away and a few more in the daily rewards. It's completely dependant on you're own personal feeling on spending money. It's in no way game breaking and the only real exclusive stuff that you can't earn in game is from the $150-250 packs.

Evolved1

Maybe if your next mission is to defend your base. My current quest/mission is something else, and if I go to my Storm Shield from the map, it loads me in, with some verbiage about not being ready to expand yet.
Ahhh. That must be it. Thanks!

Kaelan

I'm not too far in but does the game get any more difficult further along and is there any possible way to replay missions? Hopefully the devs support this game post launch, unlike Unreal Tournament

The first world you're in is still the "tutorial" world/area. The areas after that such as plankertin etc are highly more difficult.

Well, I downloaded it for free and after reading somethings, I'm confused, am I going to be able to play? Or will I have to buy it to play?

When the servers are on I mean.

Ramirez

"We're sorry you can't get into the game right now. We're trying to scale up due to new players, and we broke it. Working on it! ETA soon!"

Latest from their Twitter, but that was over an hour ago. Is the game becoming much more popular than they anticipated or something?

Evolved1

First day I get out of work early enough to play a bit and of course the servers are down with absolutely no ETA.

lol.

Modern gaming: Hurry up and pay to wait.

Well, I downloaded it for free and after reading somethings, I'm confused, am I going to be able to play? Or will I have to buy it to play?

When the servers are on I mean.

The free version is only for those who have an account linked from PC and purchased the PC version it's Crossbuy and Cross play. So the free version is for people with linked accounts and purchased on PC. For now at least the game is not F2P until sometime in 2018.

"We're sorry you can't get into the game right now. We're trying to scale up due to new players, and we broke it. Working on it! ETA soon!"

Latest from their Twitter, but that was over an hour ago. Is the game becoming much more popular than they anticipated or something?

From Reddit:

Updates from Fortnite Forums...

Sorry for not being able to provide an ETA.
I can provide a bit of back story for those interested though. At around 4 AM ET we added extra shards to our profile database during our "planned" downtime to handle increased load. Balancing shards takes around 24 hours so we decided to add a few more shards at 2 PM ET given anticipated future load / increasing player counts. This resulted in us running into an open file handle limitation (default is 1024) which brought everything down.

We incorrectly identified the root cause and tried a speculative fix of rolling back an unrelated change to our backend, but the deploy of that change failed. In the mean time we identified the actual root cause and raised the file handle limit and rolled back to the previously working instance. This deploy failed as well.

The root cause of the deploy failure is not clear and we are working on trying to resolve / debug this. The goal is to spin up a single instance of our backend and then rapidly scale it up in parallel. After that we will enable our "waiting room" (avoids a land rush taking system down if everyone tries to get in at once) and let everyone in again.

Source: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ssion/11102-fortnite-server-status-7-24/page9

Update #2 - 7:17pm EST
We had an explicit / planned downtime from 3 AM ET to 630 AM ET this morning to make major changes to our configuration, scaled up XMPP (which we use for matchmaking and global chat), added shards to our profile DB, made sure it can be backed up, and deployed a new version of our dedicated servers.

Our unscheduled downtime started at 4:36 PM ET and is still ongoing as of 7:09 PM. No ETA as we haven't found the root cause of our backend service deploy failing. We can spin them up, but they fail to connect to rest of infrastructure and then fail our health checks due to it.

Source: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...sion/11102-fortnite-server-status-7-24/page12

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm not too far in but does the game get any more difficult further along and is there any possible way to replay missions? Hopefully the devs support this game post launch, unlike Unreal Tournament

Unreal Tournament launched? I thought they gave up on that game.

Evolved1

Well at least they commented... most devs don't, or they respond with some "soon" bullshit.

Sounds like this isn't getting resolved tonight if they can't roll back and can't figure out why their new resources aren't connecting properly to the cluster.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
From Reddit:

Updates from Fortnite Forums...

Sorry for not being able to provide an ETA.
I can provide a bit of back story for those interested though. At around 4 AM ET we added extra shards to our profile database during our "planned" downtime to handle increased load. Balancing shards takes around 24 hours so we decided to add a few more shards at 2 PM ET given anticipated future load / increasing player counts. This resulted in us running into an open file handle limitation (default is 1024) which brought everything down.

We incorrectly identified the root cause and tried a speculative fix of rolling back an unrelated change to our backend, but the deploy of that change failed. In the mean time we identified the actual root cause and raised the file handle limit and rolled back to the previously working instance. This deploy failed as well.

The root cause of the deploy failure is not clear and we are working on trying to resolve / debug this. The goal is to spin up a single instance of our backend and then rapidly scale it up in parallel. After that we will enable our "waiting room" (avoids a land rush taking system down if everyone tries to get in at once) and let everyone in again.

Source: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ssion/11102-fortnite-server-status-7-24/page9

Update #2 - 7:17pm EST
We had an explicit / planned downtime from 3 AM ET to 630 AM ET this morning to make major changes to our configuration, scaled up XMPP (which we use for matchmaking and global chat), added shards to our profile DB, made sure it can be backed up, and deployed a new version of our dedicated servers.

Our unscheduled downtime started at 4:36 PM ET and is still ongoing as of 7:09 PM. No ETA as we haven't found the root cause of our backend service deploy failing. We can spin them up, but they fail to connect to rest of infrastructure and then fail our health checks due to it.

Source: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...sion/11102-fortnite-server-status-7-24/page12

So basically they fucked their shit up good.
Best of luck to them figuring that cluster out.

B-Dex

I'm sorry but this isn't their first online game. And their twitter account makes it sound like they had no clue how to scale to accommodate more players.

Maybe don't deploy new server infrastructure in the middle of the day during prime time.

Tei

Neo Member
They don't sounds very professional to me. Why you are telling me your thing uses XMPP?

How the servers works is their problem. Has cool any tech can be, is less cool if it breaks. You customers don't want to heard sad tales from IT, only a ETA even if is a bad one.

They have my sympathy anyway. A lot of it.

Spoo

Got on to play last night and ran into their scheduled maintenance.

Now today, got to play for like 20 minutes and then this. Fuck my luck.

I'm sorry but this isn't their first online game. And their twitter account makes it sound like they had no clue how to scale to accommodate more players.

Maybe don't deploy new server infrastructure in the middle of the day during prime time.

If you want better details follow the EpicGames forum page for the issue.

Last update 7:57pm EST states they fixed the issue not allowing them to join the shard to the DB but health checks are failing. They're progressing.

Basically, they made some planned changes, and it didn't work - a rollback didn't fix it. This means a lot of troubleshooting and no real idea of ETA.

Also it's a Monday and they went down during what I would call definitively NOT prime time.

If anyone wants to group up on PS4 send a friend request to Nestled_Grizzly. Love to have some people to play with. I'm power level 4 almost 5 right now.

hollomat

Banned
Guess they underestimated the launch.

This wasn't a server overload. They were trying to get servers ready for the launch tomorrow and encountered an issue which brought down the servers.

On one hand I understand these things happen, but on the other hand, tonight was the only free time I had for gaming this week so I was looking forward to playing this.

Top Bottom