• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: MK8Deluxe and Splatoon 2 Switch Analysis

Good to have it confirmed.
Maybe I missed something but overlaying the frame counter for MK Wii U on top of the 2 platform splitscreen was very confusing to me.
It might have been running for the combined frame but somehow registering a skipped frame even when the left half didn't skip?

Geg

I hope Splatoon will hit higher resolutions later in development.

The game looks almost exactly the same as the first one, I assume there's a few bell and whistles more, but still.

Visually from what I can tell, the lighting is better and ink effects are more detailed in Splatoon 2 compared to the first game. Maybe the character models are different too but it's hard to be sure.

https://youtu.be/2r2-nVHZ_bQ

The repeated frame glitch from MK8 is gone! Also a full 1080/60 when docked.

Splatoon 2 is 720/60 in both modes tho.

Spla2oon is still a while from launch though, so that will likely change. John notes that it is unlikely to be a performance issue considering it runs at 720/60 in portable mode.

That's good to hear, some people were afraid that Splatoon might take a performance hit at some point when running in Portable mode.

I'm still amazed at the performance Nintendo achieved for a handheld device, playing this games at work will be perfect.

Zedark

What's worrying though is that it's pretty close to launch date. Hopefully they can fix it but I'm worried.

One thing to consider I think is that we can see that the Zelda demo may have been an older build of the game. This can seen by one neat detail: on the newer build, which was shown on Jimmy Fallon and on the Treehouse livestream, you can see a weather forecast on the HUD, while the WiiU demos of E3 2016 did not have that feature. The Switch demos also lack this detail, which would suggest the demos are not recent but a few months old. It would make sense that other games would have older demos in the same way, so there is a bit more time than just from now to their respective launch dates.

Edit: This is not correct, it turns out the demos do in fact have the weather forecast (though it is not present at all times, only in certain moments of the demo). Disregard please.

I really hope most Switch games will be at 1080p while docked. Like I know Nintendo isn't at the cutting edge of tech but when other consoles are doing 4k and you're still at 720p...just cmon son

Ridley327

Wow. I didn't know such thing exist. Good thing my eyes are not as hardcore as other people.

Frame pacing issues tend to be more noticeable at lower framerates (hence the complaints regarding it in both Bloodborne and with Dark Souls 3 on consoles), but it is one of those kinds of phenomena that if you notice it at higher framerates that it winds up being really hard not to notice it. Squashing it for the Switch version is a nice bonus.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thank god I don't have the kind of OCD that would allow me to notice a repeated frame every 64 frames.
It's not even an OCD thing. I just see it even when trying not to. It just looks like a constant stutter. Was a blemish on an otherwise incredible game. Glad it's gone in the new release!

Oregano

It's not even an OCD thing. I just see it even when trying not to. It just looks like a constant stutter. Was a blemish on an otherwise incredible game. Glad it's gone in the new release!

Gotta say you nail a lot of my thoughts on the Switch hardware. It's a beast of a portable, the docked mode is an added bonus to me.

jts

...hate me...
Please let there be a MK8D deal for MK8 owners. I probably won’t be able to bring myself to buy it otherwise, even if portable + battle mode is enticing.

Kandinsky

Is it me or the paint in Splatoon looks different?, like they added reflections and shit, I dont remember looking like that in the og.

LordKano

Must say, I've always tried but never could quite figure out how the little framedrop was visible. I never noticed it, even when I tried to.

Effect

One thing to consider I think is that we can see that the Zelda demo may have been an older build of the game. This can seen by one neat detail: on the newer build, which was shown on Jimmy Fallon and on the Treehouse livestream, you can see a weather forecast on the HUD, while the WiiU demos of E3 2016 did not have that feature. The Switch demos also lack this detail, which would suggest the demos are not recent but a few months old. It would make sense that other games would have older demos in the same way, so there is a bit more time than just from now to their respective launch dates.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah, played many hours of MK8 but never noticed any stuttering. But maybe it'll feel noticeably smoother now?
I imagine it's one of those things that once you noticed it's hard not to see.

Banned
Don't give up hope yet. We're at least 6 months from launch. I can't think of any reason why the resolution wouldn't at least increase a tiny bit while docked. Well, I mean, I guess they could be doing it for multiplayer parity or something, but I really doubt that.
I'm sure it'll be fixed. They may have knocked it down to 720p60 for the demo to ease up the hardware until they better optimize it.

I just hate upscaled resolutions. That's why I'm glad alot of docked mode games are native 1080p.

I'd rather have 1080p with less post processing and detail on screen than something incredibly complex but sub native like 720p or 900p or whatever hell Telltale games comes up with.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gamers who skipped Wii U and get a Switch with MK8 and Splatoon will have their mind blown by the polish, 60fps and colors in these games. Such quality on a handheld is a jump in the future.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it's not "at least 6 months" :p

I'm hoping it'll be closer to 5. June would be nice.

Isn't it a "summer" title? I was going by that and thinking that summer starts in late June.

Whoa, that's a really interesting catch! I wonder if performance will become more stable.

My suspicion with Splatoon 2 is that they're using 720p @ 60 as a performance baseline, given the heavy multiplayer element. As in, to maintain consistent and fair competition, the devs feel the game has to run at 60 FPS, and right now it is only able to do so at 720p - fortunately, in both docked and undocked mode.

I'm sure it'll be fixed. They may have knocked it down to 720p60 for the demo to ease up the hardware until they better optimize it.

I just hate upscaled resolutions. That's why I'm glad alot of docked mode games are native 1080p.

I'd rather have 1080p with less post processing and detail on screen than something incredibly complex but sub native like 720p or 900p or whatever hell Telltale games comes up with.
I don't think it's about easing up the hardware, it's likely literally just displaying the portable image on the TV at this point.
I imagine working on the docked mode is probably one of the last things they have to do.
My suspicion with Splatoon 2 is that they're using 720p @ 60 as a performance baseline, given the heavy multiplayer element. As in, to maintain consistent and fair competition, the devs feel the game has to run at 60 FPS, and right now it is only able to do so at 720p - fortunately, in both docked and undocked mode.
MK8 also has online multiplayer. The only thing that would result in an unfair advantage would be higher frame rates.

Mory Dunz

Is it me or the paint in Splatoon looks different?, like they added reflections and shit, I dont remember looking like that in the og.

The lighting and models have looked slightly better since reveal in october....but without a resolution bump it's not much.

My prediction was that the game was august (hope i'm wrong), so that gives Nintendo time to make it better.

But how often has a Nintendo game improved in resolution from it's reveal?

I don't think it's about easing up the hardware, it's likely literally just displaying the portable image on the TV at this point.
I imagine working on the docked mode is probably one of the last things they have to do.

MK8 also has online multiplayer. The only thing that would result in an unfair advantage would be higher frame rates.

Which is... my point? Like, if the game's not running consistently between differing players because it cannot maintain 60 fps across the board, that can create issues that would sour the game in a competitive environment. Which yes, is a consideration for Splatoon when one looks at the first Switch trailer.

Irminsul

Are you sure? You can see the weather forecast in Digital Foundry's video on Zelda:

zelda7bx76.jpg

Curiously, it's not there the entire time, but just for some parts of the video.

-shadow-

Never noticed the stutter myself, but good that it's gone regardless. But I just don't find a repackaged game with an actual good battle mode not worth another €60.

Zedark

Are you sure? You can see the weather forecast in Digital Foundry's video on Zelda:

Curiously, it's not there the entire time, but just for some parts of the video.

Hmm, you're right. I hadn't seen it when I took a look, apparently I looked at the wrong segment. Thanks for the correction! So, at least we know now it is a more recent build than the E3 2016 one, which puts the speculation back to anywhere after E3 2016 up to any day before the Switch events.

Looks like the weather forecast hud element is something you pick up later in the game, as the footage from very early stages of the game does not show it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Edit: This is not correct, it turns out the demos do in fact have the weather forecast (though it is not present at all times, only in certain moments of the demo). Disregard please.

The presentation demo build actually is older, you can see the version number of it and it's not the same as the retail build played at the Treehouse stream, which was 1.0 iirc.

It shows how much these tech "issues" really matter....
Those of us sensitive to this stuff can't help but see it. Like, I can happily play a game with jaggies without it hurting my enjoyment of the game, but if they bother you it's not like you choose for them to bother you. Frame pacing or stutter are things I can't help but see, and I can't help them detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

So I am super happy it's been fixed finally.

I am honestly getting tired of people coming into Digital Foundry threads and whining about what they believe are unnoticeable or easily ignored tech issues.

Digital Foundry is the best source for console game analysis, without them we wouldn't have much and their entire purpose is to review every inch of a game's technology at work.

If you don't care about graphics, performance, hitches, etc. then don't come in here, you do nothing but start a snowballing argument that has no place here.

Top Bottom