• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete Releases May 23rd in US

As other members told you it's not connected.
But I'd like to had that from some people who played it, it's also a solid title to begin the series with.

There's some vague hints in a couple of places that Disgaea 5 might even be a distant prequel (the only reference to other characters from the franchise in the main story / postgame is a one liner about a character from Makai Kingdom who' has being incredibly old as one of his characteristics in that game and that line refers to their size rather than their age (which was their other notable trait)) so it definitely stands alone.

MrFortyFive

I've never actually played a Disgaea game before. Since the concensus seems to be that this is a decent one to start with, I'll give it a shot. Seems like something that would be good to have on the go.

Teletraan1

Banned
What kind of Jabroni releases this so super late after launch? Pre order delayed plip.

This is a great game. The story wasn't as good as other entries but the actual game is a refinement of all of the systems the last games have had. It is almost hard to go back to the older games now because of the improvements that have been made over the years. I like the cast of this one though. They really grew on my over the course of the game.

jonno394

What kind of Jabroni releases this so super late after launch? Pre order delayed plip.

It makes sense not being at launch, Zelda will be bought by so many switch owners that Disgaea launching day 1 and being ignored would be bad for business. I'd say 4 weeks post launch would have been better. People are likely finished with Zelda by then and looking for single player content.

Malakai

Wow. Days before Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (May 19, 2017) release on the 3DS, something that Switch owners would own as well....I guess NISA want it to fail.

Waji

There's some vague hints in a couple of places that Disgaea 5 might even be a distant prequel (the only reference to other characters from the franchise in the main story / postgame is a one liner about a character from Makai Kingdom who' has being incredibly old as one of his characteristics in that game and that line refers to their size rather than their age (which was their other notable trait)) so it definitely stands alone.
Thank you for the detail.
Though even if it was related anyway, I don't think it would be a big problem since the stories are never the main point : P .

I loved this game! I got to level 4000 before I started burning out and even then I still wanted to grind but decided to invest my time in other games since I finished the post episodes.

Dlc was great too but totally replaces the generics since you get like 20 heroes to use.

What always kept me away from trying the Disagea series is the fact, that EXP isn't split up between all your active characters. Only the ones who finish off an enemy will receive EXP. I love how Fire Emblem handles the whole system.

Cerium

What always kept me away from trying the Disagea series is the fact, that EXP isn't split up between all your active characters. Only the ones who finish off an enemy will receive EXP. I love how Fire Emblem handles the whole system.

Fire Emblem doesn't split EXP either.

Fire Emblem doesn't split XP either (which is one of the reasons that Jeigans were a bane).

You can split XP in Disgaea by using tower attacks and combo attacks in games that have them and from Disgaea 2 on healers get XP from healing.

cj_iwakura

Fire Emblem doesn't split XP either (which is one of the reasons that Jeigans were a bane).

You can split XP in Disgaea by using tower attacks and combo attacks in games that have them and from Disgaea 2 on healers get XP from healing.
Also XP bonuses from level clearing.

Cerium

Right because Fire Emblem will have an audience and this doesn't.:p

I think Disgaea can do well with the Nintendo audience, actually, and it's quite a different game than Fire Emblem.

There is also a non zero chance that Disgaea 5 will be better than Echoes.

I enjoyed D5. The writing is typical J-cheese with some occasional genuine humor, but the gameplay is excellent.

If you are thinking about hopping in and you liked the previous games it will probably please you.

Right because Fire Emblem will have an audience and this doesn't.:p

I don't have a 3ds (well I share/steal one with/from my wife). As you can see above, im interested in this game so I never have to look at that shitty 3ds screen ever again. Zero interest in anything else for the 3ds. I'd imagine others would be happy to find a game in a similar genre for their new switch purchase.

I don't get the negativity.

Foffy

Banned

Aren't there other tricks and ways to get XP in later games?

I've only played up to 2 - which I am playing now - but haven't they had better ways of sharing XP in 3 onwards?

Also, does this port have any new features, or is this the first time a Disgaea game gets a port with nothing added..?

JoeFu

Banned
It's the same game with all of the DLC included. They've said it didn't take any performance hits or anything.

Yeah I know. I'm honestly just kinda messing since there are people on this board who think the switch is that underpowered

disgaea-5-complete-2-1.jpg

Aren't there other tricks and ways to get XP in later games?

I've only played up to 2 - which I am playing now - but haven't they had better ways of sharing XP in 3 onwards?

Also, does this port have any new features, or is this the first time a Disgaea game gets a port with nothing added..?

There's ways to share XP in 3/4/5 (but not D2 IIRC) based on the "Club" mechanic but they only apply to small groups.

Yeah I know. I'm honestly just kinda messing since there are people on this board who think the switch is that underpowered

The Switch is pretty weak (and the games have to function in portable mode), it's been a long time since Nintendo was competing on power (the GBA was probably the last system they did that was legit competing on that basis) but NIS games aren't generally monstrously demanding either their biggest things for system changes are the sheer number of objects in memory and using sprites on systems that are optimised for 3D, fortunately there are things that still get cheap fairly quickly.

JoeFu

Banned
The Switch is pretty weak (and the games have to function in portable mode), it's been a long time since Nintendo was competing on power (the GBA was probably the last system they did that was legit competing on that basis) but NIS games aren't generally monstrously demanding either their biggest things for system changes are the sheer number of objects in memory and using sprites on systems that are optimised for 3D, fortunately there are things that still get cheap fairly quickly.

The thing obviously is weaker than any current console considering the form factor. I have 0 delusions when it comes to the switch. It's just people seriously thought the game wouldn't be able to run on the system without downgrades like resolution or whatever despite the type of game it is.

I wish there was at least one new scenerio or something. Oh well. Hopefully we get a D2 port with the improvements of 5 and new content.

I've only tried Disgaea once and barely put any time into it, but I have wanted to get back to it someday.

As tempted as I am to start off with this one, I do own a Vita and I really like the idea that I can have the first 4 games on one system assuming I get hooked on the series (and they're probably more likely to go on sale in less time than the D5 on Switch).

Maybe if I hit a drought on the Switch or I'm going to travel and don't want to bring multiple handhelds I might pick up D5.

Top Bottom