• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete Releases May 23rd in US

New thread for new news, right?

May 23rd in US and May 26th in Europe on the Nintendo Switch.

Lock if bold.

C46qoz4UcAATPGD.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I haven't played one of these since the original, but having it on the go is really tempting and I can't imagine catching up on the story of the three games between now and then is all that important

Luigi87

I have D5 on PS4
Only played a few episodes...

... I'll probably double dip for portability x_x

Saying this and I still have D3 hardly played on Vita <_<

Really liked D5. For anyone that has been on the fence, you really shouldn't be. I wasn't even a HUUUUGE fans of the previous ones. Thought most were pretty good I guess but I loved 5.

BuggyMike

Don't know why I thought this was launch. Watched a few videos on the series and was thinking about picking it up. Guess I got some extra money to put into another game/accessory on release.

loved what i've played on ps4, which it wasn't until fucking may on switch

I was hoping we'd get it at launch like japan so I have something to look forward to for switch

Eusis

I have to admit, I'm not exactly a huge Disgaea fan but this is one of the games that pushed me to wanting a Switch sooner than later. Disgaea 3 filled a similar niche for the Vita and it was great.

aett

How does D5 compare to D4? I was a big fan of the series since day one (playing the first three games multiple times, etc.), but D4 bored me within the first few chapters and I never finished it.

How does D5 compare to D4? I was a big fan of the series since day one (playing the first three games multiple times, etc.), but D4 bored me within the first few chapters and I never finished it.
The game is bigger and better. Like gameplay wise, so much is added and improved. It's so good.
The story comes down to preference. I thought it dragged on after a while.

the story is pretty uh anime

i can't say i remember much of it other than the bunny character, who's name i can't even remember

but the gameplay is so much better

OmegaDL50

Hmm so this is essentially the main game plus season pass with no additional content?

Well I suppose If I were to make the OT, a lot of the content I made from the original Disgaea 5 OT could probably be reused in some fashion.

Hmm so this is essentially the main game plus season pass with no additional content?

Well I suppose If I were to make the OT, a lot of the content I made from the original Disgaea 5 OT could probably be reused in some fashion.
Yup. It's a lot of content though.
I believe Disgaea 3 Vita has the most content out of them all though

This is glorious. Such a great game. Triple dipping! One hardcopy and one digital on PS4 and now this. Only reason I ordered a Switch.

cj_iwakura

Is this a self-contained game? I mean I don't need to play the other 4 or something.

Each game has a different story and a new cast. 1: Overlord out to reclaim his throne. 2: Human out to save his family. 3: Bratty kid out for revenge against his father for breaking his PSP. 4: A vampire who wants to save Prinnies. 5: Alliance of Overlords. (Sheer badassery)

BasilZero

I just got Disgaea Triple play on PS3 few weeks ago.

Playing through Disgaea PC on Steam.

Finished Disgaea 2 on PSP not so long ago

Will get this on Switch when I buy the Switch sometime in the future.

blazeaire

Urrgg I wanna double dip since it's one of my fav games ever but I've already put over 150 hours on the PS4, wish there was some sort of save transfer :(

-Mikey-

I always wanted to try out playing 5 on my vita through cross play, but only ever played it on ps4. Having it on Switch is how I wanted to play this from the beginning.

OmegaDL50

In terms of recruits, yes. As for the amount of maps however, Disgaea 5 takes the cake here.

Putting things into perspective, Disgaea 5 has 16 story chapters at 5 maps each. This isn't factoring the post-game stuff, or the DLC recruit maps which are comprised of 3 maps each.

Compared to Disgaea 1 and 2 which have the second longest campaigns in the series at 12 chapters each, followed by Disgaea 4's 10 chapters, with Disgaea 3's 8 chapters.

Adding the Fuka and Desco Show and Raspberyl side story stuff probably bumps Disgaea 3 and 4's maps comparable to Disgaea 1 and 2 amounts.

Still the main game content is largely irrelevant in terms of overall scope of the post game in terms of length and things to do.

Still Disgaea 5 and all of it's DLC on a single cartridge for the Switch is a tremendous amount of game content to be had, even if it's re-released at a $60 price tag.

cj_iwakura

Urrgg I wanna double dip since it's one of my fav games ever but I've already put over 150 hours on the PS4, wish there was some sort of save transfer :(

Just do what I do when I double down on a Disgaea. Gain 20 levels in one item world blitz then go plow through the story with ease.

It's kind of hard to say. Disgaea 3 had a much shorter main storyline (it's one of the reasons for the
bunch of Fake Out End chapters in D4
) , and Disgaea 4 got three pieces of "story"-like episodes as DLC (the Tournament, Fuko & Desco Mode & Fenrir's backstory mode) while Disgaea 3 only got Raspberyl mode. On the other hand Disgaea 3 Vita added 3 mini-stories (Kyoko and Asuka, Salvoterz and Master Big Star, Almaz & Sapphire, and the Majiin Academy) while Disgaea 4 Vita only added the Sister Artina story but it was longer. Disgaea 3 had a truly ridiculous amount of DLC characters thoug, Disgaea 4 also had a lot but I'm pretty sure it didn't even come close.

EDarkness

Each game has a different story and a new cast. 1: Overlord out to reclaim his throne. 2: Human out to save his family. 3: Bratty kid out for revenge against his father for breaking his PSP. 4: A vampire who wants to save Prinnies. 5: Alliance of Overlords. (Sheer badassery)

Doesn't Laharl show up in Disgaea 5? If so, then that's even more reason for me to jump in. Heh, Laharl is my fav character in the series. Having all the DLC will be awesome, too. Definitely picking this up in May.

cj_iwakura

It's kind of hard to say. Disgaea 3 had a much shorter main storyline (it's one of the reasons for the
bunch of Fake Out End chapters in D4
) , and Disgaea 4 got three pieces of "story"-like episodes as DLC (the Tournament, Fuko & Desco Mode & Fenrir's backstory mode) while Disgaea 3 only got Raspberyl mode. On the other hand Disgaea 3 Vita added 3 mini-stories (Kyoko and Asuka, Salvoterz and Master Big Star, Almaz & Sapphire, and the Majiin Academy) while Disgaea 4 Vita only added the Sister Artina story but it was longer. Disgaea 3 had a truly ridiculous amount of DLC characters thoug, Disgaea 4 also had a lot but I'm pretty sure it didn't even come close.
Despite being the weakest entry, and I hated the skill system, I enjoyed D3's classroom seating system way too much.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I haven't played one of these since the original, but having it on the go is really tempting and I can't imagine catching up on the story of the three games between now and then is all that important

Separate stories so you're right. Disgaea 5 is a great game though. If you liked the original, you'll like 5. It's a much better game.

OmegaDL50

Despite being the weakest entry, and I hated the skill system, I enjoyed D3's classroom seating system way too much.

Yeah, I liked the Disgaea 3 class rooms much more than the Disgaea 4 Cam-pain Map thing.

The only problem though was the fact the largest amount of seats the Class Room could have was 64.

Factoring there is 41 unique non-generic units. (Mao and the main game characters, Laharl and all of the Post-game recruits, plus the DLC characters) means if you wanted one of every single unit in the game there wasn't enough seats and you needed to send the extras to the detention storage basically.

I think Disgaea 5's method of having all of your recruits being able to freely walk about at your base was NIS best way to handle your troops.

Jashobeam

Must have that collectors edition! Something about the switch game cases makes me want to buy strictly physical lol. I love that the Switch logo is just a small red square, really makes box art shine.

Must have that collectors edition! Something about the switch game cases makes me want to buy strictly physical lol. I love that the Switch logo is just a small red square, really makes box art shine.

Completely agreed, potentially one of my favorite case designs of any generation.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang. Wish it was near launch. Oh well. Haven't really played a disgaea game since 2 so I'm really excited for this.

Waji

As other members told you it's not connected.
But I'd like to had that from some people who played it, it's also a solid title to begin the series with.

Top Bottom