• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

TheYanger

Stuff like this is why I still haven't reached Golem City even after 20+ hours.

Remember when Gaf were in panic when someone said the game is only 12 hours long?

Yeah same. I had hit every part of palisades. I didn't even go there during my playthroguh due to my choices, but I'd already robbed them and all 3 special vaults. Had some odd moments of sequence breakage too but nothing TOO bad.

For example I killed the leader of the Dvali the moment I had access to the red light district, and then later they were still referring to him as if he wasn't dead. Then I still had to infiltrate to hack his computer later. lame.

OH I will say one negative, I'm playing on Xbone due to having tons of best buy credit and GCU and an average PC....the load times can be awful. I don't mind it going between zones since that's infrequent, but they're REALLY long when you die which is a big deterrant to experimentation sometimes :/

Whelp. I think I glitched my game. As an explorer, I go to places often in games way before I'm supposed to. So in side mission 3
When you were supposed to go check out the apartment Sarif found I had already been there and seen everything. Unfortunately it seems I can now not get the piece of information I need to progress the quest. This is really frustrating as it was an interesting side quest.

No glitch. I did the exact same thing, he'll contact you later to finish up the mission. That's just a duplicate file that isn't need to be picked up assuming you picked it up earlier.

That's really weird. I've been places before I'm supposed to and when I go back, the new info is there (I'm on my second playthrough.)

Actually, it looks like you completed that part. That quest spans the entire game, and that's the way the mission appears in the quest log until you get the next part later on.

Ok odd I can't pick up the file though, and there was no location mission ever given for the apartment etc. I just knew where it was from being there before.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Man, exploring Prague is such a pleasure.
Yea it feels like the world of Witcher 3 was shrunk down.
Hell the whole game is basically just a futuristic shooter version of Witcher 3. It's epic.
I wonder if Cyberpunk is going to be FPS and how similar it will be to Deus Ex.

Ok finished the game tonight. Won't spoil in this thread, but I gotta say 10/10, disagree with the complaints in the reviews, this game for me is PURELY between Human Revolution and the Original Deus Ex - modern controls and gameplay systems, but the sandboxy nature of each building and zone is so far ahead of HR. Truly what I wanted from a sequel. Can't wait for the next one.

Haven't finished yet, still lots to go, but yeah, I'm really not understanding many of the negatives from reviews, or from the early negative explosion on GAF.
MD is everything I wanted in a Deus Ex sequel. Incredibly immersive and some stunning level designs. I truly like the setup and writing so far as well - kind of cyberpunk spy fiction. The writing is lower key than most games, and Jensen is kind of like Geralt in some ways - he's a professional with his own moral code, but he gets on with the job he was paid to do, and make the best of it if he can.

Sifl

Just wondering if it's possible to break into the
corporate vault
in the bank while snooping around, or if it's mission related? I got into the other 2, not sure if I missed a way to get into this one.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've had the game for 2 days and I've had a difficult time putting it down. GOTY for me thus far.
Is it worth getting MKD now because i saw this
cUt2MXk.jpg

And wanna know how bad the the glitches are. Can you still get the gamebreaking glitch?

Ruff

cUt2MXk.jpg

And wanna know how bad the the glitches are. Can you still get the gamebreaking glitch?

It's a brilliant game, just with a random ass game halting bug that no one can nail the cause of down. It'll be fixed early next week though.

Kalentan

There's an amazing feeling when a place is loaded to the brim with people and I knock out/stun every-one of them and then I'm free to just run around and loot.

Stuff like this is why I still haven't reached Golem City even after 20+ hours.

Remember when Gaf were in panic when someone said the game is only 12 hours long?

Not gonna lie that 12 hour comment + one hub + reviews saying the ending was cut off had me sweating =P.

Then actually playing the game and the Jensen Story to completion + my somewhat OCD need to thoroughly explore + the brilliantly crafted/designed Prague...

untitled-2xdsgr.jpg

Yeah I'm satisfied.

Machina

Banned
I can't even play at the moment. Steam just refuses to download the latest patch. I keep on getting content server errors no matter which one I use.

DeaDPo0L84

Soooo is there no way to wakeup a vendor that you put to sleep? Really annoying that I cant buy anything after 15 hours cause hes still knocked out...

Kalentan

Not gonna lie that 12 hour comment + one hub + reviews saying the ending was cut off had me sweating =P.

Then actually playing the game and the Jensen Story to completion + my somewhat OCD need to thoroughly explore + the brilliantly crafted/designed Prague...

untitled-2xdsgr.jpg

Yeah I'm satisfied.

While I can't tell how long I've played on ps4. I feel like I was in Mission 7 for like... Five or Six hours. I explored every nook and cranny of Golem City.

And I've put in many hours before that. Waaaaaaay past the 12 hour mark. I feel like to beat it in that time would be to literally skip EVERYTHING.

Dec

Soooo is there no way to wakeup a vendor that you put to sleep? Really annoying that I cant buy anything after 15 hours cause hes still knocked out...

I came back like 30 hours later and he was awake for some reason. I put him back to bed cause I don't give business to criminals.

nOoblet16

Whelp. I think I glitched my game. As an explorer, I go to places often in games way before I'm supposed to. So in side mission 3
When you were supposed to go check out the apartment Sarif found I had already been there and seen everything. Unfortunately it seems I can now not get the piece of information I need to progress the quest. This is really frustrating as it was an interesting side quest.
It's not glitched, it's possible to do this out of order like you did and progress. I did the same in my 2nd playthrough.

You can't pick that file up but it's already in your story item and you'll get a call later when it's relevant.

Notice how your objectives are check marked in green...meaning you have finished them.

Sagroth

cUt2MXk.jpg

IIRC, the glitch is somewhat close to the last third or quarter of the game, and I have not run into it yet(i'm on mission 12 whereas the glitch is on mission 14).

But yeah, I'd say it's worth it. Admittedly, I got it somewhat on the cheap because I traded in No Man's Sky towards it, but to me it'd still be worth it as a $60 game.

nOoblet16

Silent footsteps are still not really needed to do that, at least I found it pretty easy to run through hoards of guards just cloaked.
They get suspicious and if you run out of energy or take cover then they will come to you because they'll follow your footsteps to your cover, plus once they are suspicious it's very easy for them to turn hostile. They also break their patrol pattern if they are suspicious.

Using silent footsteps you can run jump etc without making them suspicious at all.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I've played for about 3 days now, and have barely just made it into my 2nd section of Prague via the train system. This damn game is soo good.

... Except for the shitty one-time use DLC. I lost 2 Praxis Kits after getting them out of storage and using them, and then having to revert to an earlier save. Fuck this shit, and I pray it doesn't lead down a slippery slope to other companies trying the same thing!

Really enjoying the game and all but damn are the load times when you die a motherfucker (so long). And it seems inconsistent too with how long the load times are as well, sometimes it's just a minute or two and other times like five minutes. Hope they patch this. Flashbacks to the early days of Bloodborne.

Vuze

Holy shit, the Universe app says I've killed 10 people already <_< I only use stun guns and tranq rifle and never threw anyone to death however... I really hope it's just bugged as hell and that number is just another mistake.

nOoblet16

I told you guys to ignore the prerelease negativity. Because the week leading up to release people would make overreact with negative comments at the slightest of the thing. Like that PC performance where it turned out ultra present used 4*MSAA, or the 13 hour to do most side quests+main quest+exploration or that the game was cut in half or that there is only one proper hub or that the game looks like an early PS3 game. Smh

Now you can see the reality.

lol, the complaints about the "abrupt ending" are completely unfounded. The game is clearly building up to a climax and features a final confrontation. The story is left unfinished, but not it's not a cliffhanger. It feels like the middle entry of a trilogy.

That said, the story isn't great at getting you to care about what's going on. And while Prague is fantastic, I did feel like the game needed another hub. Golem City is like a semi-hub, and the best area in the game, so it would have been nice to see it expanded and feature its own sidequests and such.

The new augs are mostly useless in that they do stuff that your other equipment already does. There's really no reason to explore because there's nothing exciting to spend your money on and nothing worthwhile in the upgrade tree after a certain point. This is the game's main failure imo.

Otherwise it was a great time, but definitely an 8/10, nothing too exceptional. This series could be so much more. I hope they get everything right in the next game.

nOoblet16

Really enjoying the game and all but damn are the load times when you die a motherfucker (so long). And it seems inconsistent too with how long the load times are as well, sometimes it's just a minute or two and other times like five minutes. Hope they patch this. Flashbacks to the early days of Bloodborne.

It's inconsistent because load times would obviously depend on the size of an area. They are never longer than 30-40 seconds or so for large areas (it's not really 5 minute, you know it), the smaller areas and missions have shorter load times like 15-25 seconds.

nOoblet16

lol, the complaints about the "abrupt ending" are completely unfounded. The game is clearly building up to a climax and features a final confrontation. The story is left unfinished, but not it's not a cliffhanger. It feels like the middle entry of a trilogy.
Yep I said the exact same thing, unless this is the first game you ever played I cannot see how you won't see the end coming even before you get to the final area due to the buildup. Nor is it a cliffhanger, because it finishes its own story and leaves the overarching plot open.

Now whether it should have been on a bigger scale or not, or should have been world changing is all subjective opinion because I don't necessarily believe you need a world ending scenario at the end of the game to make it interesting. It does suffer from being the middle of the trilogy in that it can't do something too drastic without it being a cliffhanger but it can't do so little that people think it doesn't do anything at all.

Staf

Am i alone in not being very engaged or interested in the main story? I love playing this game but i find the side-missions a lot more fun then the main story. I'm doing a side mission called
The harvester
now and it's super cool.

Samikaze

Yea it feels like the world of Witcher 3 was shrunk down.
Hell the whole game is basically just a futuristic shooter version of Witcher 3. It's epic.
I wonder if Cyberpunk is going to be FPS and how similar it will be to Deus Ex.

It's funny you mention that because I've always said Witcher and Deus Ex are the same game in different settings.

1. Protagonists are Orphans modified against their will, which serves as a plot device so they skirt the line between human and non-human.
  2. The only way to know they're modified is usually their eyes, (Geralt: Yellow Cat eyes. JC and Alex D: Purple nano-augment, Adam: his augmented sunglasses)
  3. The games focus heavily on conspiracy and themes of racism and segregation.
  4. They feature morally grey area decisions and the consequences of your actions are not immediately shown.

Can anyone tell me if Mankind Divided corrects the problem Human Revolution had where the game clearly punished you with less EXP for taking a lethal approach? Do you more or less gain the same amount of EXP regardless of your approach this time?

I still mostly played non-lethally, but that always really bugged me. I'd always regret the lost EXP if I allowed myself to let even one enemy die.

That was my only real problem with it, though. Human Revolution was amazing otherwise.

TheYanger

That said, the story isn't great at getting you to care about what's going on. And while Prague is fantastic, I did feel like the game needed another hub. Golem City is like a semi-hub, and the best area in the game, so it would have been nice to see it expanded and feature its own sidequests and such.

The new augs are mostly useless in that they do stuff that your other equipment already does. There's really no reason to explore because there's nothing exciting to spend your money on and nothing worthwhile in the upgrade tree after a certain point. This is the game's main failure imo.

Otherwise it was a great time, but definitely an 8/10, nothing too exceptional. This series could be so much more. I hope they get everything right in the next game.

The new augs only don't seem cool if you never take them to try them out. I think they're fucking clutch. Sorry, but nothing does what remote hacking does. Nothing does what the tesla launcher does. Nothing does what the Icarus Dash does. Even the nano blade (trying now for the first time on my 'murder every person alive' second playthrough) is a very strong targetted instant kill or explosion. Much better than a grenade launcher or grenade.

Of course you don't NEED the new augs - it's Deus fucking Ex, you don't need any of the damn augs. They represent possibility in a sandbox. They do NOT do the same things as other augs.

J4g3r

Holy shit, the Universe app says I've killed 10 people already <_< I only use stun guns and tranq rifle and never threw anyone to death however... I really hope it's just bugged as hell and that number is just another mistake.

I've noticed people dying even if I'm using non-lethal methods, multiple times.

Why? I have no idea...

Just always check your corpses.

EDIT:

I just checked the Universe app myself and it says I've killed 14 people, and I too have been going completely non-lethal - Huh?

...maybe your headbutts aren't as non-lethal as you think they are Jensen.

DSix

Banned
Can you guys tell me if there's another hub-city than Prague in the game?

If not I think I will just stop playing here because I hate everything except the city exploration part.
I don't care about spoilers, the story is shit.

Top Bottom