• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt: Gunmen attack Christians, killing at least 23

Tovarisc

Developing story!

Egyptian state TV says 23 people were killed and 25 wounded in an attack by gunmen on a bus carrying Coptic Christians south of Cairo.

The report quotes local health officials as saying that the attack happened on Friday while the bus was traveling on the road to the St. Samuel Monastery in the Minya governorate, about 220 kilometers, or about 140 miles, south of the Egyptian capital.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Source: https://apnews.com/8306731262384171...Gunmen-attack-Christians,-killing-at-least-23

Edit: More info from AP http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238132353&postcount=11

Edit:

6SNEqiU.png

https://twitter.com/AymanM/status/868056028847497216

Tovarisc

AP got more info.

------

The ministry said there were between eight and 10 attackers dressed in military uniforms, according to witnesses.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. Egypt has been fighting Islamic State group-linked militants who have waged an insurgency, mainly focused in the volatile north of the Sinai Peninsula but there have been also attacks on the mainland.

Egypt has seen a wave of attacks on its Christians, including twin suicide bombings in April and another attack in December on a Cairo church that left over 75 people dead and scores wounded. The Islamic State group in Egypt claimed responsibility for them and vowed more attacks.

Following the pope’s visit, the Islamic State affiliate in Egypt vowed to escalate attacks against Christians, urging Muslims to steer clear of Christian gatherings and western embassies as they are targets of their group’s militants.

Egypt’s Copts, the Middle East’s largest Christian community, have repeatedly complained of suffering discrimination, as well as outright attacks, at hands of the country’s majority Muslim population.

Source: https://apnews.com/8306731262384171...Gunmen-attack-Christians,-killing-at-least-23

Regiruler

Coptics are a really poorly treated minority in Egypt, depending on who recently came into power. Unfortunately this isn't surprising. A really awful event.

Barbaric is the only way to describe this.

This section from the Independent's article puts in context the lot of minorities in the region:

Coptic Christians have been kidnapped and beheaded in Libya, while Sufi Muslims have been massacred in Pakistan, Yazidis subject to genocide in Iraq and Shia Muslims massacred across the Middle East.

Egypt’s Copts, the Middle East’s largest Christian community, have repeatedly complained of suffering discrimination, as well as outright attacks, at hands of the country’s majority Muslim population.

Even the population, not just the terrorists?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Even the population, not just the terrorists?

Egypt elected a fundamental Islamic government not long ago. While they might not be in power anymore, the fact that they were so popular speaks volumes as to the attitudes of a good chunk of the population.

I have to assume under such a society minority groups wouldn't be treated too well.

I had a text about this from my Mum whilst I was at work. My sister has gone over there for a few days but was nowhere near the area.

This is awful, RIP.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Nothing to do with religion....yupe.

Muhammed said:
You are going to enter Egypt a land where qirat (money unit) is used. Be extremely good to them as they have with us close ties and marriage relationships. When you enter Egypt after my death, recruit many soldiers from among the Egyptians because they are the best soldiers on earth, as they and their wives are permanently on duty until the Day of Resurrection. Be good to the Copts of Egypt; you shall take them over, but they shall be your instrument and help. Be Righteous to God about the Copts.

What part of this command are they following?

How are the Copts, who are oppressed and have their rights infringed on, a threat to the majority Sunni population of Egypt? Man fuck these animals.

What part of this command are they following?

How are the Copts, who are oppressed and have their rights infringed on, a threat to the majority Sunni population of Egypt? Man fuck these animals.

I guess they are taking them over, trying to use them as an instrument not as people, right now they are not being subservient , they arent paying the jizya ,etc. who knows.

Toxi

Banned
The persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt is horrendous. Stuff like this is depressingly normal.

Top Bottom