• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

Final Fantasy XII.

It was a top contender since release, but this year's Zodiac Age version moved it to the top.

I'm always on the lookout for new favorites though, so it's entirely possible.

Ctlead

Banned
I don't think I have a GoAT since there's so many varied titles out there, but if I were forced to choose one, it would be Red Dead Redemption.

Will it be dethroned? Maybe some day. I don't think RDR2 will beat it, but hopefully it's of similar quality. Cyberpunk 2077 has potential.

HylianTom

Banned
It has been The Wind Waker since 2003, but I’ll be damned if Breath of the Wild isn’t threatening to take that top spot. It might come down to how much I like The Champions’ Ballad DLC.

Chrono Trigger, first game I bought with my own money on the first console I bought with my own money, and my first RPG I sat down and played (as opposed to being at a friend's house).

Probably not, but not because I haven't played better and more fun games. CT is mythical status in my head at this point.

My 3 all time favorite games are:

Fallout 3
The Last of Us
Bloodborne

Each had a profound effect on me during the period in my life when i first played them. No other game can take that feeling these gave me away. It can only add to my short list if my personal experience with it is powerful enough.

My personal favorite is Zelda: Majora's Mask. I'm not sure it'll ever be dethroned but 999 came very, very close to doing so, so it's certainly not unthinkable.

Syf

Banned
StarCraft Brood War, and I doubt it. RTS genre hardly gets notable releases anymore let alone masterpieces.

Kirye

Super Mario RPG, and nope. The level of nostalgia I have for this game is staggering. I can replay it at any time, whenever I want, and have the time of my life.

Vyrance

EverQuest. It was my first MMO, so I really don't think anything will ever top it. It was a time before everything about a game was posted online, so you had to figure things out half the time.

Aaron D.

Nostalgia weighs so heavily into my fave that it becomes an unfair advantage that others are judged against.

Is Link to the Past really my favorite game of all time?

Or is just kinda there by default as it won that crown some 25 years ago and stuck.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My favorite game is a three-way tie between Kirby's Adventure, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, and Jet Set Radio.

There have been better Kirby games than Adventure, but Adventure always holds a special place in my heart. Rayman 2: The Great Escape is still one of the best 3D platformers every made, and Jet Set Radio is still very much a unique product.

I could pick out a few other titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Phantasy Star Online and Space Channel 5: Part 2, but those three mentioned above are forever my trifecta of nostalgia personified.

FinalAres

Nostalgia weighs so heavily into my fave that it becomes an unfair advantage that others are judged against.

Is Link to the Past really my favorite game of all time?

Or is just kinda there by default as it won that crown some 25 years ago and stuck.
Link to the past is not my favourite ever game, but I will defend anyone who says it's theirs.

The game is still a perfectly crafted 2D experience. It continues to age better than any other Zelda game.

Final Fantasy Tactics since release. Infinite Space (DS) since I played it like a year ago. Still not sure about that decision but I've made it official. Can be dethroned

souppboy

Neo Member
Bulletstorm
Possibly. It isn’t my favorite because it’s flawless game. It’s my favorite because it felt different at the time and was an oasis in the desert for me. The way it controlled, the violence and the humor helped raise Waggleton P. Tallylicker into the echelons of my heart.

Crayolan

I waver between Paper Mario TTYD and Mario Galaxy 2.

The former, probably not, I have a lot of nostalgia for that game, and the paper mario series isn't the same anymore.

Galaxy 2, maybe. It's still a relatively recent game so I don't doubt that a future Mario game can top it. Not expecting Odyssey to be that game though.

CS will never be dethroned. Online shooters these days are way too different than the ideology that made the game perfect. Also map designers today just don't get it. There's truly something to be said for the core map rotation of d2, inferno, nuke, train, cbble and later cpl_mill/fire/strike. Maps made with competitive play in mind, not realism or grafixxx.

thefil

Breath of the Wild. It will probably be dethroned, but it might take a while. The previous choice was Final Fantasy IX, which held the position for 17 years, and I had thought was incontestable.

kingbean

My favorite game changes by the hour. I have many games that I love.

I don't think I could pick just one. So they all go in a lump that doesn't have a throne. Just a but awesome pile.

My favourite is also Dark Souls, but it can be dethroned since it dethroned Morrowind which dethroned System Shock 2 which dethroned A Link to the Past, which dethroned Mario which dethroned Atari Boxing.
Constant fine taste throughout the ages. I salute you, Sir.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Zelda Ocarina of Time, and no. It has been on the top for nearly two decades, and i am getting old.

Surfinn

I keep wanting to go back and play both games again. Hopefully one day we will get a remaster. My problem with 2 was all the bugs when I played it.

Yup.

If K2 would have been complete.. oh my. Probably would be my favorite SW game ever

Tell me it's getting a remaster

Renna Hazel

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

I don't think anything will ever top it for me, but it's not impossible. Both Ninja Gaiden Black and Zelda BotW took a run at Majora. I'll have to give BotW a few years to sink in before I solidify it's placing on my all time list. For now, it's third.

Indelible

Chrono Trigger, I don't think it will ever be dethroned. Playing it right now on my SNES classic and it still feels as fresh as the first time I played it.

Mobius01

• Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Not a chance
  • Portal 2 - considering Valve are allergic to the number 3, nope
  • JSRF - probably not

Final Fantasy IX - Ain't happening, the series and RPGs in general now value other things over what makes it so amazing. Hell even just a slow burn adventure opening similar to tbe game's first few hours feels like a pipe dream.

compo

Banned
Mario 3. It will never be dethroned, because the nostalgia is too deeply ingrained in multiple points in my life.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mario 64

I would LOVE it to be dethroned, but I don't see it happening. There're too many factors that contribute to this being my number 1, nostalgia being one of them.

Spenny

Either Ocarina of Time or Deus Ex.

They could possibly be dethroned but it would be quite a task. There are too many dumb kid emotions mixed in with the experiences.

Kovacs

The Secret of Monkey Island I & II.

I can't see it being topped even with the renaissance that the genre has had in recent years as the circumstances surrounding my first time playing them can never be replicated.

I was a young teenager and I'd been lucky enough to receive an Amiga 1200 for Christmas. I knew I was getting it, and I'd also been working weekends in a local corner shop doing chores, sweeping up etc to earn some money to buy games for my new computer. I bought the MI games as a double pack (remember when you used to buy games in huge boxes containing 10 or more titles for the same price as a full release?) and from the very first moment the Lucasarts logo appeared I felt like it was going to be special.

The theme music is simply ingrained on my psyche, and still fills me with a sense of longing for travel and adventure. The graphics looked amazing especially when the portraits of the Guybrush and Elaine were shown. The cover art was beautiful

But really it was the humour that bit me. Even on the very first screen I was giggling with the classic 'I'm over here' line to the blind lookout. On the 2nd screen you're looking out to sea and your curser hovers over the moon. I wonder.... you think as you click 'walk to' and then 'the moon'... a moments pause then Guybrush breaks the 4th wall and tells you what he thinks of that idea. I'd never played a game like this, it was funny, it had great characters and I the puzzles were such that even I could manage it. The second game was played immediately after it and simply expanded all that I loved about the first. There was so many little Lucasarts in-jokes and easter eggs crammed in there such as visiting a shop in MI2 and seeing things like Indy's Whip™ or Star Wars quotes as the silly answers. As a kid who'd grown up on Star Wars and Indiana Jones it felt like the games had been crafted just for me.

However, the other reason those first playthroughs stay with me is because it because a real social thing with my friends. They'd already owned Amiga's and so it became a round-robin experience of heading to a different house each day as we tried to solve a tricky puzzle and each took a turn saving onto our savings discs so we could continue at home. If one of us solved it, we'd go back to the last bit we'd all seen so we could show off the solution and no-one missed any of the story.

That's the crux of it, the games aren't just the games. They're wound up in childhood memories of after school clubs, having tea at friends houses or late night sleepovers with gaming and then Match of the Day. It was even Monkey Island that forced me into buying my first PC as with release of The Curse of Monkey Island and its drop dead gorgeous animation on CD-ROM it was also the end of my Amiga. Only this time I was working full time in my first job and that PC was the first system I ever bought with purely my own money.

Sure there have been better games, sure there have been huge marathon sessions and I distinctly remember how excited I was then Mass Effect was released and also playing Dragon Age for the first time being very skeptical thanks to the very odd way it was advertised and slowly realising that I was hooked by its world. But nothing beats childhood nostalgia, especially when you can play it again 20 add years later and still be tickled by the writing and get goosebumps from the music.

Hu3

Neo Member
suikoden II.

no, as the game has everything I really like. can go back to the game any time. reply it every year.

Surfinn

The Secret of Monkey Island I & II.

I can't see it being topped even with the renaissance that the genre has had in recent years as the circumstances surrounding my first time playing them can never be replicated.

I was a young teenager and I'd been lucky enough to receive an Amiga 1200 for Christmas. I knew I was getting it, and I'd also been working weekends in a local corner shop doing chores, sweeping up etc to earn some money to buy games for my new computer. I bought the MI games as a double pack (remember when you used to buy games in huge boxes containing 10 or more titles for the same price as a full release?) and from the very first moment the Lucasarts logo appeared I felt like it was going to be special.

The theme music is simply ingrained on my psyche, and still fills me with a sense of longing for travel and adventure. The graphics looked amazing especially when the portraits of the Guybrush and Elaine were shown. The cover art was beautiful

But really it was the humour that bit me. Even on the very first screen I was giggling with the classic 'I'm over here' line to the blind lookout. On the 2nd screen you're looking out to sea and your curser hovers over the moon. I wonder.... you think as you click 'walk to' and then 'the moon'... a moments pause then Guybrush breaks the 4th wall and tells you what he thinks of that idea. I'd never played a game like this, it was funny, it had great characters and I the puzzles were such that even I could manage it. The second game was played immediately after it and simply expanded all that I loved about the first. There was so many little Lucasarts in-jokes and easter eggs crammed in there such as visiting a shop in MI2 and seeing things like Indy's Whip™ or Star Wars quotes as the silly answers. As a kid who'd grown up on Star Wars and Indiana Jones it felt like the games had been crafted just for me.

However, the other reason those first playthroughs stay with me is because it because a real social thing with my friends. They'd already owned Amiga's and so it became a round-robin experience of heading to a different house each day as we tried to solve a tricky puzzle and each took a turn saving onto our savings discs so we could continue at home. If one of us solved it, we'd go back to the last bit we'd all seen so we could show off the solution and no-one missed any of the story.

That's the crux of it, the games aren't just the games. They're wound up in childhood memories of after school clubs, having tea at friends houses or late night sleepovers with gaming and then Match of the Day. It was even Monkey Island that forced me into buying my first PC as with release of The Curse of Monkey Island and its drop dead gorgeous animation on CD-ROM it was also the end of my Amiga. Only this time I was working full time in my first job and that PC was the first system I ever bought with purely my own money.

Sure there have been better games, sure there have been huge marathon sessions and I distinctly remember how excited I was then Mass Effect was released and also playing Dragon Age for the first time being very skeptical thanks to the very odd way it was advertised and slowly realising that I was hooked by its world. But nothing beats childhood nostalgia, especially when you can play it again 20 add years later and still be tickled by the writing and get goosebumps from the music.

I like this post. MI1/2 are definitely two of the best games ever.

Did you play the remasters? They were also excellent.

Top Bottom