• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

My initial impressions were that the environments look good, but models look bad.

After seeing the direct feed shots, I've flipped. Models look glorious, though the environments need some work. There needs to be more of a balance, since a realistic lighting model doesn't seem to work well with low poly models and textures made for a completely different artstyle.

I need to see this in motion.

Tookay

Are they fixing the incredibly tedious Tri-Force hunt at the end of the game?

People seem to forget how bad that was...

They do tend to forget it.

But I imagine it will be fixed as part of that "tuning up the overall gameplay experience" bulletpoint.

chiablo

"How can we make the most gorgeous Zelda game even better?"
"Let's make it high definition."
"Great!"
"AND SO MUCH BLOOM IT RUINS EVERYTHING!"
"Aweso.... wait, wut?"

Dandalf

Neo Member
So glad to see they finally gave a name to SAILING SIMULATOR 2013.

I knew it was a project Nintendo was working on, but didn't think they'd rope it into a full fledged Zelda game.

Still - I'll purchase because Wind Waker was awesome the first time around, and I'd love to enjoy it in 1080p.

They have a new Zelda for 3ds in development . Hopefully a remake plus new game for Zelda 3ds .

God... i just want MM to play it again for the next 10 years. I cant play MM with those graphics anymore. And i hated the OoT anime style of the 3DS remake... i want it in HD

MarkusRJR

Wind Waker on Dolphin in HD looks infinitely better than this. Looks like they ruined the art style in Wind Waker with gross bloom/lack of cell shading.

x3sphere

Grabbed the higher res pics from Nintendo's press site

268-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-yMQ.jpg

268-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-ZMQ.jpg

268-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-bMQ.jpg

More here: http://vgimg.com/268/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd/

ASIS

I suppose it is only appropriate for WW to be shat on prior to release right? But something that is more puzzling to me is that no one is speculating about this title's soundtrack... Can we actually get an orchestrated version?

Mit-

I feel like Nintendo is going to go through all of the phases and trends of the HD PS3/360 generation, maintaining their nature of constantly being an entire generation behind in any way possible.

Starting with "OMFG BLOOM LIGHTING IZ SO AMAZING"

nasos_333

Damn i liked the older art/coloring much more

Cant they just release the game with old graphics in HD and only add better shadows or something ?

Hmm, no, thanks. It'll be good for people who play it only for the artstyle (like absolute majority of WW fans do), but it won't change WW is a very tedious game.

wow looks nice. still not entirely sure it looks better than what a 360 could do, but very nice.
Given the likely marginal budget I really doubt the 360 would have too much trouble running it.

But I also don't think that matters much. WiiU is give or take at parity with the 360. Now just shut up and look at the pretties specialguy.

mattp

so, am i the only one kind of disappointed it looks less 2d/cel shaded than the original?
i dont know...meh
it looks off

The first half of Wind Waker is sublime, the second half I find weak by comparison whicg drags the game down, I can only hope that "tuning up the overall game experience" is them doing more than the bare minimum because it could take WW into being a great but flawed game into being pure distilled awesome.

I'm pretty sure it's still early days for the visuals, i'll wait until we have some more footage to go by as opposed to what seemed to be more of the Zelda team dicking around with HD visuals.

JordanN

Banned
I don't get the hate for the graphics. The photorealistic lighting in a cartoon environment suits the game well. Kind of like what Pixar does for their movies.

And if all they did Wind Waker in HD people would just bitch about hey they could play it on their PC's so hush...

Eusis

Yeah, this kind of upgrade would be MINDBLOWING... on Twilight Princess. It'd be a straight up upgrade there, no debating it.

Here? Uhh, I hope it's a toggle, because at best it's like moving from cel animation to CGI, at worst clearly doesn't look right as they try to add modern bloom and lightning to a game that's supposed to be cel shaded. The appeal of WW's look was that it was timeless and resistant to aging, it can be improved but that'd be more by throwing more polygons on to eliminate any unintended blockiness, not by dumping bloom on.

Randomizer

Really excited for this but as this game is pretty much a stopgap I can't help but worry how far off the new Zelda will be, I'm assuming 3-5 years :/.

mantidor

so, am i the only one kind of disappointed it looks less 2d/cel shaded than the original?
i dont know...meh
it looks off

I seriously don't get at all what the hell you people are talking about, the original never looked "2D" like, maybe in screenshots, if anything. And that's stretching it.

Martian

Looks guuuud.

It does kind of look like SM Galaxy. I don't know if that's good or bad, it's just something that striked me

I'm pretty sure it's still early days for the visuals, i'll wait until we have some more footage to go by as opposed to what seemed to be more of the Zelda team dicking around with HD visuals.

Yeah, I hope that's what it is. He said that they were messing around with WW's style as we saw in the pictures and then they realized that they should make an HD Wind Waker. It could go either way really...

Kyzon

So many opportunities. Double off tv play would be pretty cool.

a player playing the game gamepad only, and someone assisting via tinglebomb 3DS. All while the tv is occupied by another person. Off screen multiplayer like that would blow my mind.

XaosWolf

The original's graphics still hold up today, so people can always play that.
As much as I'd like them to dial it back a bit, this'll still look great in motion.

Ryoku

Classic Zelda reactions:

*Game is announced*

"HOLY SHIT FUCK, OH MY GOD DAY ONE FOR SURE, OH MY GOD HHHNNNGGG!!"

*Later that day*

"Yeah, it seems pretty bland compared to the last game. That one was a timeless classic, for sure. I wish they remained true to their origins, but oh well. It's a Zelda game, so I'll give in, I guess..."

Going back to the announcement of that last Zelda game in question:

*Game is announced*

"HOLY SHIT FUCK, OH MY GOD DAY ONE FOR SURE, OH MY GOD HHHNNNGGG!!"

*Later that day*

"Yeah, it seems pretty bland compared to the last game. That one was a timeless classic, for sure. I wish they remained true to their origins, but oh well. It's a Zelda game, so I'll give in, I guess..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom