• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikita Klæstrup: Female empowerment or internalised sexism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pnr8CHf.jpg

Female empowerment or internalised sexism? Danish moral threshold tested by UCPH rhetoric student and young conservative politician. So much for her politics, the media concentrates on her other attributes
by Anne Kirstine Rønn, English version by Seraina Nett

Nikita Klæstrup poses for the camera in the Odd Fellows Mansion banquet hall in a confident pose, with her hand on her hip and impeccable makeup. Her hair is pinned up with a few curls framing her face.

The occasion was the Young Conservatives' 110 year anniversary, and the provocative element here is Nikita's dress: a black, floor-length model, with the textile split open above the navel, leaving a substantial section of bare skin visible between the breasts.

5N9Sm9O.jpg

Nikita studies rhetoric at the University of Copenhagen. She was surprised when, a few days after the event, the Danish media came calling.

Denmark's election babe

On the Danish TV programme Aftenshowet, the revealing dress was displayed on a mannequin in the background, and the hosts of radio channel P3 discussed Nikita's side-boobs and under-boobs.

The old Conservative Party's anniversary did not really form part of the discussion. In fact, she was only asked one single question about the party, says Nikita. And it was in the last minute on Radio 24/7. Otherwise, it was all about the dress, her skin and her breasts.

It is not the first time Nikita appears in the media, because she is both pretty and politically active: During the local elections in 2013, she was voted Denmark's election babe by newspaper BT. The many beauty-votes did not translate to personal votes in the municipal ballot boxes, however.

Considering how many people know Nikita Klæstrup, there are few who know anything about her political stance. But she does regularly participate in the political debate by writing letters-to-the-editor and comments, she emphasizes.

Going all in for politics

Political branding expert Kresten Schultz-Jørgensen said to Danish newspaper Metroxpress that the attention she gets is not necessarily bad for Nikita's political career.

On the contrary, he says, it helps sharpen her profile. So if she wants to stand for a modern, open-minded conservativism, it is not a bad idea to wear a daring dress.

Nevertheless, Nikita has not only received acclaim for her choice of dress. On Facebook, many believe that the dress makes the politician appear frivolous and downright stupid.

Breasts - the weapon or the target?

Is the dress a sign of female empowerment or is its wearer the victim of internalised sexism?

The Facebook community disagrees on whether Nikita is trying to garner the media attention that her political views fail to attract or whether the public is turning Nikita's cleavage into the center of a political debate where it clearly does not belong?

As a rhetoric student, Nikita is fully aware of her communicative toolkit.

And she believes that she can appropriately use herself as an example of a political rhetoric where you cannot disregard the fact that female politicians may well be vain and good-looking while nevertheless being intelligent.

'We cannot escape the fact that it sells. There is a natural focus on women's appearance. That's just how it is', says Nikita, who is not planning to choose a different style of dress for the next party.
http://universitypost.dk/article/politics-outstripped-breasts-conservative-student-politician

Looks in politics is generally an interesting topic to discuss...
I'm not sure I could take a woman seriously who advertises her good like that (or a dude who can't wait to show you his abs or whatever). Obviously this is a special occasion, but this image would certainly stay with me even after seeing her in 20 different Hillary/Merkel style jumpsuits, talking about solving pressing issues.

I know of Italian politicians who got elected based on their looks (please bring up more examples you know of), but I've never seen anything like that in countries whose political climate is timid, "low-testosterone".

It's also interesting to note that she's a conservative. Are conservatives more shallow / sexist or it a coincidence? I can't help but think about Sarah Palin who in contrast to this woman is a certified idiot, but still managed to gain popularity based on her looks (for dudes) paired with addressing conservative social views (women).
And isn't it weird that these women sort of ride the emancipation movement while at the same time being conservative?
Or am I just being too conservative myself and will we see more of this sort of thing in the future?

Althane

Seems to me that a politician using their looks to their advantage isn't a surprise at all. I'm fine with them using all the tools at their disposal in the arena of politics, not like others don't.

guggnichso

Banned
I wish people would just not fucking care. This is non news. People can wear what they goddamn like, end of story.

Seems to me that a politician using their looks to their advantage isn't a surprise at all. I'm fine with them using all the tools at their disposal in the arena of politics, not like others don't.
But why are you fine with that? Will their looks somehow improve their qualities as politicians? Shouldn't looks be pretty much the last thing people look for in a politician?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its neither female empowerment or internalized sexism. Its an attractive girl wearing a sexy dress.

markot

Banned
I wish people would just not fucking care. This is non news. People can wear what they goddamn like, end of story.

Some people wear things to get attention.

This clearly is that.

She got attention.

Also 'who cares what people wear'? Almost everyone?

Its a pretty inappropriate dress to wear to a function like that.

I certainly would be inclined to vote on her on account of her good looks. That has no bearing on whether her choice of fashion is an expression of female empowerment or internalized sexism - she alone can determine that.

All the rest of us can do is politely remark that she's attractive, and that we would engage in sexual congress with her as a result of the collection of physical traits that indicates good fecundity.

While I may translate my interest in her into a vote for her political platform (don't read too much into it: I merely lack understanding and interest in danish politics), I doubt that others would on account of her visual appeal vote for her - as indicated by previous polls. As such, she's doing herself a disservice and needlessly putting hurdles in her path to become a political winner. Perhaps her hopes are for people to regard her attractiveness as merely one of her features, but I'm afraid that as society stands now a pretty face can be quite the distraction.

Fuchsdh

The Facebook community disagrees on whether Nikita is trying to garner the media attention that her political views fail to attract or whether the public is turning Nikita's cleavage into the center of a political debate where it clearly does not belong?
On that point, Klaestrup's already won—people are talking about her skin rather than her politics, which reflects on them rather than her.

Calling it "internalized sexism" seems pretty far-reaching if you don't know the person, and also infantilizes the person you're using it on—"no, you don't have opinions of your own, let me tell you what those opinions should be."

On a side note, her dress reminds me of something Theiss would have mocked up for Star Trek: The Original Series if he could have gotten away with it—

I've read that entire article and I'm really not sure what it's about.

I think it's wrong to even phrase this as "advertising" her "goods". I also agree with another poster that the comments on her skin/dress/breasts says less about her and more about them.

- J - D -

If she's got ideas to back up those looks, I don't see what the problem is. She knows what she has, and what she's doing, obviously.

Conservatives usually boasting they've got the prettier ladies, dont they?

Dress is a bit too try-hard for me. A bit much on the "Look at Me" vibe.

Politicians, eh.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Apparently she's a student and part of a government club. Not a politician.

Skux

She's a student, not a politician. I feel like this is only getting attention because she's a member of a political party who just happens to be a model.

Is it empowering to benefit from the sexist status quo, which for the most part conspires to disempower? I think it is, especially as that behavior goes on to subvert expectations by, as she said, breaking from an established perspective (one that can be considered sexist) with the addition of irrefutable qualities. To be fair it seems like everyone's falling for her game.

That said i don't really like that dress.

MiszMasz

What does it mean to study rhetoric? Like, is that just equivalent to studying english in the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric

Rhetoric is the art of discourse, an art that aims to improve the capability of writers or speakers to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations. As a subject of formal study and a productive civic practice, rhetoric has played a central role in the European tradition.

ie. Political spin class.

I wonder a little why there appears to be a fundamental social difference re: above-the-boob cleavage versus below-the-boob cleavage.

The woman in the green dress in that second photo has a considerable amount of breast exposure as well, but I reckon didn't rate nearly the same response.

Desi

This judgmental bullshit needs to die off.
What, are you serious? Was under the belief that they had pretty severe dress codes for a function like that. Though I must admit I do not attend parties of that sort.

And she is damned beautiful.

Kurdel

Banned
If Angela had that body, I like to think she would have rocked that dress just as hard.

merkel_res2.jpg

Seriously, I don't it's worth overthinking a dress worn at a party. It's not like it was at a stump rally, or outside trying to lure people into signing a petition.

DJ_Lae

She got the attention she wanted, that's for sure (and well deserved, damn she looks good).

Wonder how much tape it required.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean...thats the big question, isn't it? Sexist attitudes have driven our culture for so long so pervasively that even empowering gestures can have sexist roots.

I guess the dude equivalent would be a tux shirt unbuttoned down to the navel and spread open? I have no idea. how come women get to show tittymeat??!

This judgmental bullshit needs to die off.
I don't follow; she's clearly adhering on some level to the established dress code for these events, given that she didn't show up in a pair of daisy dukes and a tube top, so that comment isn't exactly out of line here.

Kinyou

I wonder a little why there appears to be a fundamental social difference re: above-the-boob cleavage versus below-the-boob cleavage.

The woman in the green dress in that second photo has a considerable amount of breast exposure as well, but I reckon didn't rate nearly the same response.
For some reason is the nipple considered to be the really sexy/obscene part of a breast, so the closer the nipple is to opening of the dress, the more extreme does the dress appear. And since the nipples are at the lower side of a breast, a below the boob cleavage tops an above the boob cleavage.

At least is that my take on it.

Kurdel

Banned
I guess the dude equivalent would be a tux shirt unbuttoned down to the navel and spread open? I have no idea. how come women get to show tittymeat??!

Because male cleavage doesn't exist in western fashion norms.

We can still have a sweet beard and a tailored tux that emphasizes our manly muscles, which women find attractive.

Valnen

What, are you serious? Was under the belief that they had pretty severe dress codes for a function like that. Though I must admit I do not attend parties of that sort.

And she is damned beautiful.

It's time for strict dress codes to die off.

Madness

Do they just invent new terms everyday now to explain away things they don't like or don't understand? Internalized sexism? I was in a debate a while back with someone who said, because I didn't agree with their projection, I had Internalized racism on my part. I Googled and the term was fairly recent, with most references to it starting in the late 2010-2013 years.

Christine

I mean...thats the big question, isn't it? Sexist attitudes have driven our culture for so long so pervasively that even empowering gestures can have sexist roots.

Lisa Wade has referred to this as a patriarchal bargain.

A patriarchal bargain is a decision to accept gender rules that disadvantage women in exchange for whatever power one can wrest from the system. It is an individual strategy designed to manipulate the system to one’s best advantage, but one that leaves the system itself intact.  Williams is making a patriarchal bargain, exchanging her sex appeal for the heightened degree of fame and greater earning power we give to women who play by these rules (e.g., Kim Kardashian).  Don’t be too quick to judge; nearly 100% of women do this to some degree.

But once women appear to have acquiesced to the idea that their bodies are public property, their bodies are treated as public property.  Others, then, feel that they have the right to comment on, evaluate, and even control their bodies.  Williams made her body public, the logic goes, therefore anything that happens to it is her fault.  This is why the bargain is patriarchal.  Williams will be excoriated for her unwillingness to defer to the male gaze if she refuses to trade on her sex appeal. But if she does make this trade, she’ll be the first against the wall if anything bad happens to her.

injurai

Banned

Maybe it's just that sexuality and sexual attraction is just part in parcel with life, and we've mapped ways to interpret things onto sexuality. We're empowering and repression are two sides of a coin, we're your own comforts and the behavior or others determines how sexuality is seen and experienced.

Do they just invent new terms everyday now to explain away things they don't like or don't understand? Internalized sexism? I was in a debate a while back with someone who said, because I didn't agree with their projection, I had Internalized racism on my part. I Googled and the term was fairly recent, with most references to it starting in the late 2010-2013 years.

Internalized sexism/racism/misogyny isn't really that new, as a concept (see: Sam Jackson's character in Django, while fictional, is based in reality). Maybe the label is?

Also, aren't all words technically "invented"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom