• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikita Klæstrup: Female empowerment or internalised sexism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I just wanna ask if you even realize that both women show pretty much the same amount of boob/skin in that photo, yet you seem to only have an issue with one of them, why is that?
I don't know hour to explain this properly, bit the reason underboob cleavage is considered more lewd so to speak, is because as you can see on that picture, the breasts look a lot more "plump" and full, than in regular cleavage.

J10

Banned
Like a couple years ago there was an older lady politician who people gave shit for baring cleavage at some kind of event.

Avixph

tDQcJQZ.png

Big Shake commercial
You do know that the character in the image you posted is an botty lover?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really seeing the problem here. She should be judged on her politics not her clothes.

I agree. The fact that she is a young conservative really kills the attraction. :(

Xe4

Banned
Yeah you almost see a but of nipple in there. Won't someone think of the children browsing this place.

Sorry. I'm not a mod. I didn't ban the other guy. Nudity is not allowed in the TOS, even if it's tagged NSFW/L. The mods don't like it, and the advertisers don't like it. If advertisers pull, then you get sketchy/worse ads.

I don't personally have a problem with the album, but someone does, and I was just trying to help someone not get banned.

Mr.Pig

It's funny that it is always the women in the Danish Conservative Party who are famous for showing off their cleavage (or more).

Ikael

Sexualization is in the eye of the beholder, and neopuritanism should stop trying to disguise itself as feminism and go die in a fire already.

She has all the right in the world to dress as however she wishes to, and yes, looks and the ability to cause attraction to the opposite sex is not shameful, nor degrading, nor "unfair", it is just a personal trait like any other.

Sorry. I'm not a mod. I didn't ban the other guy. Nudity is not allowed in the TOS, even if it's tagged NSFW/L. The mods don't like it, and the advertisers don't like it. If advertisers pull, then you get sketchy/worse ads.

I don't personally have a problem with the album, but someone does, and I was just trying to help someone not get banned.

I know.

Trickster

I don't know hour to explain this properly, bit the reason underboob cleavage is considered more lewd so to speak, is because as you can see on that picture, the breasts look a lot more "plump" and full, than in regular cleavage.

angela-merkel-opera-gown-cleavage.jpg

These look plenty "plump" despite being regular cleavage though :p

I dunno, I feel it's silly putting something like this under a lens and try to stir up controversy about it. She's not showing off more skin that a lot of other women in dresses do, it's not see-through, it's not some crazy over the top haute couture design. So really, what is the big deal, ya know?

SmokyDave

I dunno, I feel it's silly putting something like this under a lens and try to stir up controversy about it. She's not showing off more skin that a lot of other women in dresses do, it's not see-through, it's not some crazy over the top haute couture design. So really, what is the big deal, ya know?
The difference to me is that traditional cleavage can be presented via a myriad of supporting garments. To achieve the effect in the OP requires a tremendous set of bangers, first and foremost. There is no upside-down wonderbra.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
angela-merkel-opera-gown-cleavage.jpg

These look plenty "plump" despite being regular cleavage though :p

Merkel can get it

Because male cleavage doesn't exist in western fashion norms.

We can still have a sweet beard and a tailored tux that emphasizes our manly muscles, which women find attractive.

Isn't this what the v-neck movement has been trying to accomplish with quite outrageous v-necks? Ones that come down to the end of the sternum.

old

I think America has to get over the fact that politics shouldn't be exclusive to just older people. As well as get over the notion that young women have to sacrifice their beauty, femininity, and sexuality in order to be leaders, doers, and agents of change.

markot

Banned
I just wanna ask if you even realize that both women show pretty much the same amount of boob/skin in that photo, yet you seem to only have an issue with one of them, why is that?

It isnt the quantity, its the quality.

One is clearly more sexual.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
jesus christ

she's my write in vote for 2016 presidential election. she's beyond stunning.

patapuf

Calling a young woman dressing provocatively for attention "internalised sexism" is really stretching it.

If anything, critisise the media reaction of giving all the attention to the woman with the nicest cleavage.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Calling a young woman dressing provocatively for attention "internalised sexism" is really stretching it.

If anything, critisise the media reaction of giving all the attention to the woman with the nicest cleavage.

That's the whole reason why it's internalised sexism, though. The general media, because of entrenched sexism, will give a lot of attention to a woman who flaunts cleavage. Klaestrup knows that the media will do this. She also knows she stands to gain personally from attention. She therefore flaunts her cleavage. The net result is that she personally benefits, but the media are legitimised in their position because a woman is now directly playing to their pandering. Because the media have been further legitimised, their current positions, which are sexist, become even more entrenched. Klaestrup also knows this. Therefore, Klaestrup has knowingly aided sexist institutions for personal gain. That's pretty clearly internalised sexism.

Sadly, it also works, judging by the shameless thirst in this thread.

patapuf

That's the whole reason why it's internalised sexism, though. The general media, because of entrenched sexism, will give a lot of attention to a woman who flaunts cleavage. Klaestrup knows that the media will do this. She also knows she stands to gain personally from attention. She therefore flaunts her cleavage. The net result is that she personally benefits, but the media are legitimised in their position because a woman is now directly playing to their pandering. Because the media have been further legitimised, their current positions, which are sexist, become even more entrenched. Klaestrup also knows this. Therefore, Klaestrup has knowingly aided sexist institutions for personal gain. That's pretty clearly internalised sexism.

People use their appearance for their advantage all the time especially publich figures and regardless of whether they are men or women. She's completely aware of what she's doing and it would work even without the extra focus from the media (though that helps, of course).

At the same time, the Media don't get their legitimisation from Klaestrup. They sell copies/clicks regardless of wether the attractive woman wants to be noticed for her looks.

Which is why I said: i don't see the sexism in a woman flaunting her good looks for attention.

But i doubt i'd take newspapers seriously that has articles about "the election babe".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People use their appearance for their advantage all the time especially publich figures and regardless of whether they are men or women. She's completely aware of what she's doing and it would work even without the extra focus from the media (though that helps, of course).

There are clear bounds to this, though. Obviously any public figure's looks will be a part of their perception. However, there are still some social norms governing the bounds to which they can manipulate this. A clean-cut, well-shaven politician in his early 40s with dark hair and well-fitting tuxedo will probably do better than a whiskered chubster falling prey to the depredations of age. However, the first example here is not breaking particular social conventions or norms purely for the purpose of high-lighting his attractiveness. It's unfortunate that this comes into play, but being judged on attractiveness here is passive: as the person being judged, there is little you can do about it.

In contrast, Klaestrup has deliberately decided to break social conventions by wearing an outfit that is not normally seen in this sort of environment. If she was just going for "I want to generally appear attractive" instead of "I want my attractiveness to be the main thing people focus on", she would have worn something like the girl in the green to her left wore. Instead, she is making being judged on attractiveness active: she is deliberately trying to draw attention to her features.

At the same time, the Media don't get their legitimisation from Klaestrup. They sell copies/clicks regardless of wether the attractive woman wants to be noticed for her looks.

Wrong. Look how many desperate GAFers in this thread who have made comments along the lines of "dam those gosh darn titties there" and immediately proceeded to try and find the imgur album of her being even more scantily clad. Newspapers will have gained far more clicks from this than they would had Klaestrup dressed like the girl to her left, and more clicks means more ad revenue. The fact they get more money from it is why they feel legitimised in focusing on acts like Klaestrup's.

But i doubt i'd take newspapers seriously that has articles about "the election babe".

More importantly, I take Klaestrup less seriously because of it, in much the same way that I take Tony Abbott less seriously because of his ridiculous shots in Speedos.

andycapps

That type of dress isn't something a politician would normally wear, but honestly, I don't care. I will say that I wouldn't want most politicians I've seen in the US to wear something like that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

So your first assumption is that she's a malicious temptress because she wore a sexy dress. Am I understanding you correctly?

What picture are you talking about? There were never any pictures here

wey3FWb.jpg

I don't get it, why was that imgur album link and the comments to it removed?
Was that an attempt to not have people sexualize her? Because that didn't seem to have to worked...
(especially when the very news is about her being attractive and having no problem showing it)

hot album though

patapuf

There are clear bounds to this, though. Obviously any public figure's looks will be a part of their perception. However, there are still some social norms governing the bounds to which they can manipulate this. A clean-cut, well-shaven politician in his early 40s with dark hair and well-fitting tuxedo will probably do well than a whiskered chubster falling prey to the depredations of age. However, the first example here is not breaking particular social conventions or norms purely for the purpose of high-lighting his attractiveness. It's unfortunate that this comes into play, but being judged on attractiveness here is passive: as the person being judged, there is little you can do about it.

In contrast, Klaestrup has deliberately decided to break social conventions by wearing an outfit that is not normally seen in this sort of environment. If she was just going for "I want to generally appear attractive" instead of "I want my attractiveness to be the main thing people focus on", she would have worn something like the girl in the green to her left wore. Instead, she is making being judged on attractiveness active: she is deliberately trying to draw attention to her features.

Wrong. Look how many desperate GAFers in this thread who have made comments along the lines of "dam those gosh darn titties there" and immediately proceeded to try and find the imgur album of her being even more scantily clad. Newspapers will have gained far more clicks from this than they would had Klaestrup dressed like the girl to her left, and more clicks means more ad revenue. The fact they get more money from it is why they feel legitimised in focusing on acts like Klaestrup's.

More importantly, I take Klaestrup less seriously because of it, in much the same way that I take Tony Abbott less seriously because of his ridiculous shots in Speedos.

Politicans that overtly pander to the media are rarely worth listening to, i agree. But getting attention as a young politician is also difficult and i'm way less annoyed by a bit of cleavage than the extremist nonsense politicians my age usually shout to get it.

It's a really elegant dress and it fits her figure well, but of course a young woman wearing an unconventional & daresay provocative dress to a political function means she's in the patriarchal trap.

Good lord.

Sevarus

I'm pretty much convinced that women in politics are going to have their appearances commented on entirely too often, regardless of what they look like. From this woman, to Palin, to Hillary.

The little blurb on the "patriarchal bargain" posted a ways back was interesting. I certainly play that game, and the majority of women I know do too, to some extent. If this politician can use her attractiveness as a weapon, that's a smart move. She would be foolish to not capitalize on that.

andycapps

I'm pretty much convinced that women in politics are going to have their appearances commented on entirely too often, regardless of what they look like. From this woman, to Palin, to Hillary.

The little blurb on the "patriarchal bargain" posted a ways back was interesting. I certainly play that game, and the majority of women I know do too, to some extent. If this politician can use her attractiveness as a weapon, that's a smart move. She would be foolish to not capitalize on that.

This is a great point, I agree.

Arjen

Even if she uses her attractiveness for political gain, how is that different than using your relgion/ family values/ whatever. Tons of politicans use certain things to appeal to a certain demographic that have nothing to do with policy of their political party.
It's a good thing polticians are getting more diverse.

Even if she uses her attractiveness for political gain, how is that different than using your relgion/ family values/ whatever. Tons of politicans use certain things to appeal to a certain demographic that have nothing to do with policy of their political party.
It's a good thing polticians are getting more diverse.
Yeah, whatever positive quality you have, you'll use it. If she's an amazing politician, then she's proven yet again you can have both looks and brains on your side. It's the media's fault for banging on about that aspect in a reactionary manner and not paying attention to this politician's policies or views.

I don't care if you look like Churchill or Catherine the Great, just have some integrity, loyalty and leave society a little better than you found it.

In a business class that I just finished, a professor showed us a video on body language and the difference from Hilary pre-politician and Hilary during her run and after her run showed us that she toned her voice down and her voice & demeanor went from soft spoken to gruff and demanding because of how well voters respond to powerful looking women, one of those qualities being a deeper voice.

More women exploiting their sexuality to gain an advantage in the political arena would merely be par for the course IMO. Any politician would use whatever tools necessary to get elected, including switching parties, dying their hair, or changing their appearance and hiring certain speechwriters that make them sounds more emphatic to their constituents. It's merely another distraction in a field full of distractions.

Alucrid

Banned
Dear God, you don't get it. First, she was wearing a formal dress that showed cleavage, the dress was entirely appropriate. If she was wearing a thong and bra too the function that would be different. Second, what the hell do you think people are looking at in that Obama picture, his shorts? They are looking at his shirtless chest and abs, he didn't go topless on the beach because "that's what you do." He did it precisely because he knows he's got a decent enough body and that it will play well with the press. Let me ask you this, in all the time since that photo Obama has routinely gone to Hawaii (his home state) to vacation with his family yet have you ever seen any other shirtless Obama beach pics? The answer is no.

In fact, here's a picture of him post-election on vacation with his family:
obama-on-beach.jpg

That's right, he's wearing a shirt because the election politics are over and there's no need to play that card again. I just can't understand how naive you have to be to not understand that NOTHING a presidential candidate, or any serious politician for that matter, is spontaneous or done without deliberate precision. Do you think when the walk into restaurants to get some food and take pictures with all the customers and staff that wasn't planned weeks in advance?

The Obama beach pic is the EXACT equivalent to the dress cleavage picture, both of them know exactly what they are doing and know it plays well with voters. It's all apart of the political game, like how male politicians in American roll up their sleeves when they speak in rural areas so as to make it look like they're just a working guy. The fact that there is this huge controversy because a women is playing the same game says something.

EDIT:

Actually I did some rechecking, turns out that photo with him at the beach with his shirt on is part of another vacation prior to the 2008 DNC. I actually cannot find a single beach vacation photo of Obama after his election despite that he has taken one every year.

or he could be wearing a shirt because he's not going into the ocean which is obvious by his and his daughters' clothing. you know, shit millions of other normal people do

and since you seem so interested in obama's bod, here's one from 2010

obamatopless-300x272.jpg

I don't think the internet is going to be happy until everyone wears genderless bodysuits. That is not the world I want to live in.

I wish a girl or guy could just wear something that looks good without the internet trying to figure out (sic arbitrarily deciding) what is wrong with society that we think it looks good.

Where are the articles positing theories that flaunting sexuality in this manner could demonstrate something good about society? I don't know if there's a compelling conclusion there, but I feel like those who do consider that angle are immediately labeled misogynist. The internet - on all issues - seems to be fostering a sort of communal authoritarianism which only allows space for extreme opinions, thus over-reactive feminism on one side and GamerGate type movements on the other.

I think the internet has a great role to play in knowledge, but I think we are failing to teach critical analysis in a way that gives the masses an appropriate understanding of how to progressively harness that power. Governments, I'm sure, are satisfied with this outcome. BOOBIES

I don't think the internet is going to be happy until everyone wears genderless bodysuits. That is not the world I want to live in.

I wish a girl or guy could just wear something that looks good without the internet trying to figure out (sic arbitrarily deciding) what is wrong with society that we think it looks good.

Where are the articles positing theories that flaunting sexuality in this manner could demonstrate something good about society? I don't know if there's a compelling conclusion there, but I feel like those who do consider that angle are immediately labeled misogynist. The internet - on all issues - seems to be fostering a sort of communal authoritarianism which only allows space for extreme opinions, thus over-reactive feminism on one side and GamerGate type movements on the other.

I think the internet has a great role to play in knowledge, but I think we are failing to teach critical analysis in a way that gives the masses an appropriate understanding of how to progressively harness that power. Governments, I'm sure, are satisfied with this outcome. BOOBIES

I think those that are most vocal about it are jealous types...either jealous they aren't a girl like that or jealous they don't have a girl like that...Or maybe I'm just projecting loool.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So your first assumption is that she's a malicious temptress because she wore a sexy dress. Am I understanding you correctly?

No. I'm fine with people wearing sexy dresses in suitable contexts for sexy dresses - hell, I positively enjoy it. If she wears this to a bar, night club, my house next Tuesday, I'm cool with that. What I am saying is that using a dress with the deliberate intent of making your sensuality your key feature at an event where your political opinions are supposed to be your key feature should not be regarded as a good thing. I'd levy equal criticism at Obama if he turned up at the next Democratic conference wearing an open collar shirt unbuttoned to reveal his toned pectorals, because that would then dominate the media instead of whatever set of policies he was proposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom