• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikita Klæstrup: Female empowerment or internalised sexism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious thought: Are politicians supposed to be 'respectable' people?

Is that why there's ~traditionally~ so many wizened oldies securing the top positions?

Cuz, Nikita's very pretty, no doubt about it... but in general prettiness doesnt inspire 'respect' that we usually associate with our political leaders, does it?

Also, tangentially, in that one pic with the fur black jacket, did she add in an illusion of scarring on her torso or is that a real scar that is just usually airbrushed away? Photoshop experts, please weigh in.

Do they just invent new terms everyday now to explain away things they don't like or don't understand? Internalized sexism? I was in a debate a while back with someone who said, because I didn't agree with their projection, I had Internalized racism on my part. I Googled and the term was fairly recent, with most references to it starting in the late 2010-2013 years.
The "internalized racism" Wiki page starts at 2007 as a spinoff from internalized oppression. These things have been around for a while, but our conversations and knowledge of them are constantly evolving and growing.

Do you really think calling out examples of these are "explaining away things they don't like or don't understand"? Feeling a lot of stubbornness in your post, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Riposte

Lisa Wade has referred to this as a patriarchal bargain.

I don't understand what this is saying:

Williams will be excoriated for her unwillingness to defer to the male gaze if she refuses to trade on her sex appeal. But if she does make this trade, she’ll be the first against the wall if anything bad happens to her.

Given what I understand of the phrase "first against the wall", sounds like victim blaming.

Pnr8CHf.jpg

BlDaOT3.gif

...uhh

Politics. *shrug*

Gotta play the game if you want to survive this.

If you've got it, flaunt it, I say. Male, female, etc.: work it.

Is that why there's ~traditionally~ so many wizened oldies securing the top positions?

Cuz, Nikita's very pretty, no doubt about it... but in general prettiness doesnt inspire 'respect' that we usually associate with our political leaders, does it?

Also, tangentially, in that one pic with the fur black jacket, did she add in an illusion of scarring on her torso or is that a real scar that is just usually airbrushed away? Photoshop experts, please weigh in.

I trust an ugly politician over a pretty one, because I know that a politician will try to leverage anything to make their voice heard - and I'd rather they were given as few tools as possible to work with.

Kinyou

What picture are you talking about? There were never any pictures here

wey3FWb.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's a more formal way of looking at it I suppose. The way I see it, its just that our standards for how we dress ourselves to feel handsome or beautiful are inextricable from the culture that teaches us those standards. A woman dressing sexily because she finds it empowering is still operating from standards of what "sexy" is that emerge from our zeitgeist (and the same is true of men)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
While she definitely is pulling that dress off, I will admit it that the dress combined with her political leanings gives off a James Bond villain vibe.

Christine

I don't understand what this is saying:

Given what I understand of the phrase "first against the wall", sounds like victim blaming.

It's complex. People are responsible for the choices they make, but describing the bargain as "patriarchal" is pointing out a dilution of agency. The reason "nearly 100% of women [engage in patriarchal bargains] to some degree" is that there is pervasive pressure on them to do so.

That's a more formal way of looking at it I suppose. The way I see it, its just that our standards for how we dress ourselves to feel handsome or beautiful are inextricable from the culture that teaches us those standards. A woman dressing sexily because she finds it empowering is still operating from standards of what "sexy" is that emerge from our zeitgeist (and the same is true of men)

I don't know that I'd use the term to describe a woman who is dressing simply to make herself feel sexy, for her own satisfaction. But what Nikita Klæstrup is doing is definitely for public consumption.

that's neat

If there's anything my father taught be about being a politician is that what attracts people the most is to act, or to seem in action. Being "noble", as it were, is not always a trustful position to uphold because as a politician you're potentially dealing with many classes and many audiences, and that will only take you so far. But if people see you as someone who engages, who acts and reacts, who isn't still but always looking to solve things, that's something much more trustworthy, which crosses boundaries of class and/or interest. It stimulates the voter to come to you and expose their problem, because they feel like you'd have reason to help them with it.

In that sense, Nikita might be very well benefiting from that, not just through being pretty or wearing risky party dresses, but by appearing to do it with intent, and then reacting to the discussion around her, she looks proactive, keen to point out how things work, and most importantly in control.

that's neat

If there's anything my father taught be about being a politician is that what attracts people the most is to act, or to seem in action. Being "noble", as it were, is not always a trustful position to uphold because as a politician you're potentially dealing with many classes and many audiences, and that will only take you so far. But if people see you as someone who engages, who acts and reacts, who isn't still but always looking to solve things, that's something much more trustworthy, which crosses boundaries of class and/or interest. It stimulates the voter to come to you and expose their problem, because they feel like you'd have reason to help them with it.

In that sense, Nikita might be very well benefiting from that, not just through being pretty or wearing risky party dresses, but by appearing to do it with intent, and then reacting to the discussion around her, she looks proactive, keen to point out how things work, and most importantly in control.

That's all nice and sweets. But ........... what I'm gathering thus far is that .....what she generates quite strongly is the desire for some people to 'brb' and 'jacknicholsonnod.gif' and other such allusions to how her looks are appreciated but not necessarily giving her any platform of political credence.

I did enjoy the pictures. Though.

:x

Just thinking outloud on how people are a bit bent about aestheticism in political sphere. And I'm .... definitely not exempt from the behaviour myself. Wahey~

Kurdel

Banned

I don't see how choosing to wear this dress is accepting a gender rule that disadvantages women. Is it because she is showing a lot of cleavage, and that is inherently negative?

The second part of the quote explains why people feel entitled to judge, but I don't understand the relation to "the patriarchy".

That's all nice and sweets. But ........... what I'm gathering thus far is that .....what she generates quite strongly is the desire for some people to 'brb' and 'jacknicholsonnod.gif' and other such allusions to how her looks are appreciated but not necessarily giving her any platform of political credence.

I did enjoy the pictures. Though.

:x

Just thinking outloud on how people are a bit bent about aestheticism in political sphere. And I'm .... definitely not exempt from the behaviour myself. Wahey~

And I'm .... definitely not exempt from the behaviour myself. Wahey~

72QCjs1.jpg

It looks like a fancy event where she wore a fancy dress. It's only on the news because she's super attractive, but it's not the public's business to police her appearance.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Someone posted a pic folder on reddit that is to die for.

I'm loving the uptrend of "internalized racism/sexism/homophobia".

Cause as minorities, being talked down about our personal desires/opinions from other minorities is something else to add to the list! so great!

"you aren't treading the line! you are internalized X".

"because i like it/i don't think this is discriminating" isn't a good enough answer anymore.

I'm loving the uptrend of "internalized racism/sexism/homophobia".

Cause as minorities, being talked down about our personal desires/opinions from other minorities is something else to add to the list! so great!

"you aren't treading the line! you are internalized X".

"because i like it/i don't think this is discriminating" isn't a good enough answer anymore.
"Check yourself" has been solid advice for decades now.

Christine

I don't see how choosing to wear this dress is accepting a gender rule that disadvantages women. Is it because she is showing a lot of cleavage, and that is inherently negative?

The rule in this case is the one that says that certain exposed portions of a woman's body are inherently sexual, where they are not so for men.

The point is mostly that the fact that male politicians can't usually leverage sex appeal in this way is not an example of "female privilege".

Male politicians have loads of stylists and are really concious of their physical image, and it does change the way people vote. The fact that a woman chooses to do it too is unsurprising and hardly condemnable by her and voters alike when men do it, and they are partly chosen on the same basis.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Doesn't she decide if she feels empowered or not? Has anyone asked her?

Probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Someone posted a pic folder on reddit that is to die for.

That was supposed to be our secret!

edit: lol delete that link or you're fucked

Williams will be excoriated for her unwillingness to defer to the male gaze if she refuses to trade on her sex appeal. But if she does make this trade, she’ll be the first against the wall if anything bad happens to her.

I find this really hard to take seriously. It may be that I am misunderstanding something, either because English isn't my native language, or because it's late and I had a hard day at work, or because I simply don't possess the intellect needed to grasp what she's trying to say. Does she really mean to imply that a woman faces a lose lose situation, whether she dresses moderately or provocatively, no matter what? If this is true, why is no one talking negatively about any of other women who attended this event, and didn't dress like Nikita Klæstrup?

Others, then, feel that they have the right to comment on, evaluate, and even control their bodies.

One of these is not the same as the others... I refuse to feel bad about myself for evaluating or commenting on anyone, or anything, be they man, woman, dog or inanimate object, unless it's done in a manner which is directly hurtful to the person at hand. I consider that to be my prerogative as a free thinking being with a mind of my own. Obviously I will not go up to people and start commenting on anything about them. I will evaluate them in my mind though, just like every single person I see, whether they are Nikita Klæstrup who wore a sexy dress to a political event (of sorts), or just a random person walking past me in the city on my way to work. I might comment on them to a friend or something. None of these mean that I feel I have the right to control anyones body but my own. I don't see the correlation.

Williams made her body public, the logic goes, therefore anything that happens to it is her fault.

The logic of a rapist and some extremely socially conservative people maybe.

User 406

Banned
Would not vote for. Sure, the conservatives over there are probably well to the left of our Democrats, but I'm sure I'd still have the option of a Danish candidate leftier than her.

What are we talking about again? I got distracted when I saw the words "conservative politician" in the OP. Something about pictures?

Seems females are damned if they do and damned if they don't, as far as relying on looks or sexuality in addition to other traits. Internalized sexualism? Give me a break. She wore the dress because she wanted to. There is nothing else to it. Stop projecting your thoughts on it onto her "She must have some internal insecurity or issue to be wearing that!"

Amir0x

Banned
She is absolutely stunning. If she is happy in that outfit, I don't see the problem. It doesn't seem like a bad outfit at all.

Izuna

Banned
BlDaOT3.gif

...uhh

Politics. *shrug*

Gotta play the game if you want to survive this.

If you've got it, flaunt it, I say. Male, female, etc.: work it.

The story behind that gif? Haha

When I saw that photo I just thought it was a really nice dress. A few days later, a GAF thread is finding some issue with it. I am glad I am ignorant not to get caught up to think it is okay to complain about what someone has to wear and condemn it.

Finally, a fashion designer has decided to take advantage of the underboob. Overboob cleavage has dominated the show for too long!

Dryk

Conservative women that think that sexism is over because they have never personally experienced it are more worrying to me. This does not appear to be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom