• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikita Klæstrup: Female empowerment or internalised sexism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevarus

In a business class that I just finished, a professor showed us a video on body language and the difference from Hilary pre-politician and Hilary during her run and after her run showed us that she toned her voice down and her voice & demeanor went from soft spoken to gruff and demanding because of how well voters respond to powerful looking women, one of those qualities being a deeper voice.

That's really interesting! I thought it would be the opposite, as women in power are more likely to be seen as abrasive (as opposed to men, who tend to be seen as "assertive," instead). I've heard Hillary receive flack before for being too harsh and "bitchy."

I don't think the internet is going to be happy until everyone wears genderless bodysuits. That is not the world I want to live in.

I wish a girl or guy could just wear something that looks good without the internet trying to figure out (sic arbitrarily deciding) what is wrong with society that we think it looks good.

Where are the articles positing theories that flaunting sexuality in this manner could demonstrate something good about society? I don't know if there's a compelling conclusion there, but I feel like those who do consider that angle are immediately labeled misogynist. The internet - on all issues - seems to be fostering a sort of communal authoritarianism which only allows space for extreme opinions, thus over-reactive feminism on one side and GamerGate type movements on the other.

I think the internet has a great role to play in knowledge, but I think we are failing to teach critical analysis in a way that gives the masses an appropriate understanding of how to progressively harness that power. Governments, I'm sure, are satisfied with this outcome. BOOBIES

A very vocal minority is crowding social media to appear larger then they really are and are imprinting their values onto others just to reinforce the echo chamber.

That's really interesting! I thought it would be the opposite, as women in power are more likely to be seen as abrasive (as opposed to men, who tend to be seen as "assertive," instead).

Here's the links. It's pretty interesting to see how much she changed from pre-scandal to post-scandal.

http://www.history.com/videos/secrets-of-body-language-part-1

http://www.history.com/videos/secrets-of-body-language-part-2

I've heard Hillary receive flack before for being too harsh and "bitchy."

Maybe the votes sentiment has changed since her campaign days(most likely) but her changing her appearance helped her win the NY Senate and move into the Sec. of State job.

I mean, it's not like she's in a photoshoot to boast her guns like Paul Ryan. Republicans desperate for that lady vote.

121011_paul_ryan_time_mag_328.jpg

"What are those? Five pounds?"

"Two and a half. I'm going for tone, not bulk."

Fuchsdh

That's really interesting! I thought it would be the opposite, as women in power are more likely to be seen as abrasive (as opposed to men, who tend to be seen as "assertive," instead). I've heard Hillary receive flack before for being too harsh and "bitchy."

I'm sure there's a wide variety of differences in reactions based on your age and other demographics. I, personally, really hate vocal fry; I don't think it's an indicator of a woman or man being stupid or anything like that, but personally it really grates on me. But there have been studies that show I'm in the minority; people my age are more likely to associate vocal fry with intelligence and education, whereas there have been lots of more general studies that show negative associations akin to how people regard valley girls.

So it's possible Hillary's more demure approach might work better for some people, and a more on point one works for others. Personally, I like people who speak their mind, but can do so civilly and without name-calling; other people might like more firebrand personalities. There's a whole lot that goes into it besides sexism or gender norms, though they can certainly be a factor.

I'm sure there's a wide variety of differences in reactions based on your age and other demographics. I, personally, really hate vocal fry; I don't think it's an indicator of a woman or man being stupid or anything like that, but personally it really grates on me. But there have been studies that show I'm in the minority; people my age are more likely to associate vocal fry with intelligence and education, whereas there have been lots of more general studies that show negative associations akin to how people regard valley girls.

So it's possible Hillary's more demure approach might work better for some people, and a more on point one works for others. Personally, I like people who speak their mind, but can do so civilly and without name-calling; other people might like more firebrand personalities. There's a whole lot that goes into it besides sexism or gender norms, though they can certainly be a factor.

Fucking really?

There's nothing I hate more than vocal fry and people give me shit for having a New York accent.

Edit: I"m not the only one too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828307&highlight=vocal+fry

Arjen

No. I'm fine with people wearing sexy dresses in suitable contexts for sexy dresses - hell, I positively enjoy it. If she wears this to a bar, night club, my house next Tuesday, I'm cool with that. What I am saying is that using a dress with the deliberate intent of making your sensuality your key feature at an event where your political opinions are supposed to be your key feature should not be regarded as a good thing. I'd levy equal criticism at Obama if he turned up at the next Democratic conference wearing an open collar shirt unbuttoned to reveal his toned pectorals, because that would then dominate the media instead of whatever set of policies he was proposing.

And who decides what is appropriate for what ocassion?
The occasion was the Young Conservatives' 110 year anniversary.

Seems this was a celebration aka a party, so if it was held at a nightclub it would have been ok?

She's pulling it off with great style, stunning dress, while being quite beautiful.

As a fellow Dane, it seems, Danish politics just got better.

Also her Instagram profile has been booming with new followers, too, so in a political way it's working excellent.

Also seems like, her fame is spreading like wildfire, now.
11055446_423929834440544_63187877_n.jpg

Fuchsdh

Fucking really?

There's nothing I hate more than vocal fry and people give me shit for having a New York accent.

More concerning to me is the argument that they're just setting a trend: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/s...rs-in-vocal-patterns.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

They had a This American Life story about it a few weeks back too. There's some interesting stuff going on under the surface about people who claim it's used as a way of putting down women or just another example of people trying to muster linguistic superiority, things like that. Mostly it just reminded me of why I can't listen to Ira Glass for long periods of time. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad...-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps

The whole idea of what are ingrained vocal tics versus put-on affections versus affections you aren't even aware you're using is really interesting to me. Kind of getting out of the topic of this thread, but I think there's an intersection of "appropriateness" and how we sort of expect people to take on different roles in different spheres.

Sevarus

I had to look up vocal fry. THAT'S what that is?? I think I only use it when I'm being heavily sarcastic. I have a deeper, more monotone voice in general, but I don't think I do that vocal fry thing very often.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
And who decides what is appropriate for what ocassion?

Common sense should do a relatively good job here. Something along the line of "does this event take place within an explicitly political sphere y/n".

Seems this was a celebration aka a party, so if it was held at a nightclub it would have been ok?

If you've ever been to similar events, you'll know they're not parties in the truest sense of the word. At least in the UK, they're an opportunity for young would-be politicians to network themselves into junior positions; it's wine and dine. No raves here.

Fuchsdh

I had to look up vocal fry. THAT'S what that is?? I think I only use it when I'm being heavily sarcastic. I have a deeper, more monotone voice in general, but I don't think I do that vocal fry thing very often.

You might do it more often than you realize. I know as soon as I'm expressly mindful of how often I say filler "likes" and "ums" it becomes heavily apparent to me :) Language is like anything else, most of the time you're not thinking about how you say something and so you can let "lazy" habits crop up.

More affectionately known as Valley Girl talk or Long Island talk, it's a common way of speaking for many young 20-something, coastal female Americans. With it comes the supposed pretension of intelligence and education and worldly travels, but all I hear is a woman that sound like a smoker with a voice box.

Coming back to the politicians and women topic, if voters respond well in general to that type of voice, you can bet that most female campaigners will incorporate it into their campaign to solicit votes and work with linguists/speechwriters to perfect it.

Choosing a politicians nowadays is like choosing a celebrity you follow. Rarely do voters actually look at the initiatives that the campaigners throw their name behind or their voting record.

Look up uptalk. That's something I think most young people do in bouts of insecurity.

Arjen

Common sense should do a relatively good job here. Something along the line of "does this event take place within an explicitly political sphere y/n".

If you've ever been to similar events, you'll know they're not parties in the truest sense of the word. At least in the UK, they're an opportunity for young would-be politicians to network themselves into junior positions; it's wine and dine. No raves here.

It's a horrible dress for a rave, no place to hide your molly

Keri

I think that people should feel free to dress how they like, but I wouldn't consider this to be a demonstration of empowerment. She's receiving attention due to the dress, sure, but it's a specific and limited type of attention. People are not talking about her politics. They're talking about how pretty she looks. The only power here, is the same (limited) power that women have had for centuries: Look sexy and people will want you.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think that people should feel free to dress how they like, but I wouldn't consider this to be a demonstration of empowerment. She's receiving attention due to the dress, sure, but it's a specific and limited type of attention. People are not talking about her politics. They're talking about how pretty she looks. The only power here, is the same (limited) power that women have had for centuries: Look sexy and people will want you.

With a face and body like that, people would've paid more attention to her looks rather than her political views anyway.

andycapps

This American Life had a podcast with a segment on it recently. They discovered that all of them do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
taking this photo as an example from the article

why is the normal V neck design like the girl on the right normal and not particularly exotic, yet the /\ design from the girl in the black dress gets lots of attention? Both show lots of cleavage.

if it was exactly the same cut but the other way round, nobody would have said anything

SmokyDave

taking this photo as an example from the article

why is the normal V neck design like the girl on the right normal and not particularly exotic, yet the /\ design from the girl in the black dress gets lots of attention? Both show lots of cleavage.
One totally shows the fulsome shape of a fabulous pair of breasts, the other shows very little other than plain skin. Cleavage is ten-a-penny but to get a view like there is on the left, you usually need to be looking at a naked woman.

There's more implied honesty in the underboob boobs too. Sure, they'll head east and west once the dress comes off, but there's nowhere near the potential for 'where the fuck did they go?!' that an underwired and padded bra offers.

Edit: Also, as your edited photo shows, the young lady on the right just ain't packing the kind of melons to compete with Nikita's funbags.

if it was exactly the same cut but the other way round, nobody would have said anything

Which design intentionally draws attention to the cleavage more?

It's similar to the recent trend of sweaters with a boob window: It's a new take on a tired design.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Edit: Also, as your edited photo shows, the young lady on the right just ain't packing the kind of melons to compete with Nikita's funbags.

oh I know, just an example. Even if you found a similarly proportioned set of boobs, underboob would attract more attention.

I think partly its just rarer, therefore catches the eye. Plus of course underboob is just the best thing ever.

Daemul

The woman is gorgeous, but her outfit is something I would have glanced at for a few seconds and then I would have went on my way. I see nothing wrong with it.

Crocodile

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the issue. She's a grown ass adult who wore what she wanted to an event where it wasn't forbidden by dress code or common sense. I mean its clear the outfit choice was probably some combination of "she thinks she looks good in it and likes it" and "she wants to garner attention" but I'm not seeing why that's a problem here. Once/if she ever runs for office, while I'm sure her beauty will be a hard attribute to miss, I'm sure the people of Denamrk will be voting based on whatever her platform may end up being and not just because she's attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom