• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Sony shutting down Playstation Mobile (PSM) on Vita

Bashtee

Update 2:

A member of the PlayStation support team posted the info in english on the community board.

Update:

As others pointed out, the official statement has been posted on the japanese site as well as on the DevPortal.

From the DevPortal:
Discontinuation of PlayStation®Mobile Developer Program

SCE regrettably announce the discontinuation of the PlayStation®Mobile(PSM) Developer Program, which includes the discontinuing of content distribution on PSM store on July 15, 2015 and closure of the PSM DevPortal on November 30, 2015.

The tremendous support from PSM developers allowed us to achieve our original goal: to provide unique PSM content to end users. We truly appreciate your cooperation and wish to express our apology for any inconvenience that our decision has caused.

The time line is as follows:

May 31, 2015: Final day to submit new PSM applications

July 15, 2015: Final day to submit updates to previously released PSM applications; Final day for consumers to purchase PSM applications *1

September 10, 2015: Final day of in-app-purchases through PSM applications; final day to re-download previously purchased PSM applications *1

November 30, 2015: Final day to access the PSM DevPortal

*1: End users may continue playing previously purchased PSM applications, provided that specific procedures are followed. We will notify end users of the necessary procedures separately.

Although the PSM Developer Program is discontinued, if you are interested in developing for other PlayStation platforms, such as PS Vita or PS4, please see contact us via the following web site:

https://partners.playstation.com/apex/PO_AccountAppliPTR?lang=en

Simultaneous to the above announcement, we have released an updated version of the PSM publishing utility, which enable the change of age rating settings, in the event that a rating organization indicates a rating issue. Please refer to this article for the detailed procedure, and utilize as needed. (Note: The updated version of publishing utility is for PSM SDKs only. Please obtain the publishing utility from PSM DevPortal.)

<<FAQs>>

Q: My sales have not met the minimum payment threshold. Can I receive the payment?
A: SCE will pay all remaining balances in November.

Q: Until when can I access the PSM DevPortal?
A: You can access the PSM DevPortal until November 30th. Please check finance report and sales report by then.

Q: I noticed that my bank account information is wrong. Can I change it?
A: Please edit your bank account information no later than July 15th.

Q: By when can I develop PSM application on PS Vita or PS Certified device?
A: You can develop your PSM application on PS Vita or PS Certified device until July 15th.

Q: I found a bug in my PSM application already released on PS Store. What shall I do?
A: Please fix the bug and re-submit by July 15th. The fixed version will be distributed to end users until September 10th.

Q: If my PSM application is rejected after the new/update submission final day, can I re-submit?
A: No, you cannot re-submit.

Q: After the update submission final day, I received bug report from end user. What shall I do?
A: As you cannot submit fixed version after July 15th, please review your PSM application carefully and fix any bugs before then. If this should happen, please ask end user to contact with SCE.

Q: May I distribute source code of my PSM application?
A: Yes, you may.

Q: Any plan for releasing "Unity5 for PSM"?
A: For Unity related questions, please ask Unity.

Q: How will the PSM publisher license agreement be treated?
A: The contract will be terminated.

Q: How will the personal information registered in PSM DevPortal be treated?
A: The personal information will be deleted from our system. However, information required for tax documents will be preserved as applicable to local law.

Q: How will the game data, screen shot, or icon be treated?
A: Those data will be deleted from our system.

Old:
According to a small tweet from a german Vita dedicated news site and some (I believe banned) websites, Sony is shutting down PSM in september. The tweet:

https://twitter.com/yourPSVita/status/575547748797317121

In case you are working on a PSM project, someone on the community board might help you out:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Community-Lounge/End-of-an-era-and-a-way-forward/td-p/23079251

Couldn't find anything offical on PSM DevPortal, so take it with a very small grain of salt.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They should just merge it with the Vita dev programme rather than leaving any remaining devs out to dry. There is zero harm in Vita having a low-barrier access point for devs, PSM served that purpose quite well.

Vex_

Banned
Yeah,one feature at a time. Psm could have actually been a lot better than what it is now,but Sony's gotta Sony. Next thing you know,they'll be killing YouTube support and stuff..oh wait.

I was just about to mention that. :/

Alx

I didn't really follow that program, are there any "success stories" of apps developped for it ?

small44

They killed it by making games over-priced compared to smartphones version and by making all apps not free

Hanmik

this guy made a fun game on PSM..

Wdvmhjx.jpg

so looks to be dead.

Decider

I didn't really follow that program, are there any "success stories" of apps developped for it ?

I can only think of Super Crate Box and Tokyo Jungle but I have no idea of how successful they actually were.

Between this and Minis, I have to wonder why Sony don't seem to be able to stick to a long-term strategy for "smaller" games.

mollipen

BOOOOOOOOO!!!

One of my favorite Vita games came via PSM. I love services where tiny indie games can get in the door, but PSM always seemed mishandled. Real shame.

Hanmik

if you have a PSM game on your download list.. you won´t be able to redownload it once PSM is gone.. so make sure that the PSM games are on your Vita, if you want to keep them.

Bashtee

I'll be honest, the bare PSM SDK was fun to tinker around, but nothing more. Quite a few parts of the SDK weren't translated fully to english and the performance was really bad. The Unity support though was working quite well.

They should just merge it with the Vita dev programme rather than leaving any remaining devs out to dry. There is zero harm in Vita having a low-barrier access point for devs, PSM served that purpose quite well.

Would be nice if we could get some special access via Unity to continue development on regular Vitas, but I doubt it. Too bad the Gameboy emulator only reached ~30fps :(

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm just waiting for them to tell me they're shutting down Vita on Vita and when I wasn't looking they replaced my handheld with a bar of carved soap.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'll be honest, the bare PSM SDK was fun to tinker around, but nothing more. Quite a few parts of the SDK weren't translated fully to english and the performance was really bad. The Unity support though was working quite well.

Would be nice if we could get some special access via Unity to continue development on regular Vitas, but I doubt it. Too bad the Gameboy emulator only reached ~30fps :(

Yeah, that's what I'm mostly thinking. With the Unity support basically being the same as Vita, it seems a shame to just throw that out now.

nampad

So I get PSM is a failure but does it really hurt them so much to leave it in a zombie state instead of shutting down? Hurts small developers and some fans.

if you have a PSM game on your download list.. you won´t be able to redownload it once PSM is gone.. so make sure that the PSM games are on your Vita, if you want to keep them.

What the fuck? I want my money back.

I can only think of Super Crate Box and Tokyo Jungle but I have no idea of how successful they actually were.

Between this and Minis, I have to wonder why Sony don't seem to be able to stick to a long-term strategy for "smaller" games.

and Super Crate Box was never released in some countries, i would have bought it here in Finland if it was ever released :(

But i can see they want to focus the Vita offerings to the proper store, the barrier for making and releasing a Vita-indie title is a lot easier now so the "bonus-indie-store" was quite confusing.

The better games like Aqua Kitty and Rock Boshers got re-released on the proper store side already.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Like minis before, this shouldn't even have existed in the first place. A waste of time to everyone involved.

Good riddance.

This was handled poorly by Sony from the start, back when it was PlayStation Suite.

Hoping that the involved developpers will find their way to the Vita.

Now that is just outrageous. If the entire network was going off line, I could see it. But it isn't, so the downloads should still be there for us.

Sony is the most unsuccessful "successful" video game company out there. It's a miracle they hit it out of the park with the PS4, since 75% of the time they know fuck-all about where the hell they are going and what the hell they are doing.

Like minis before, this shouldn't even have existed in the first place. A waste of time to everyone involved.

Sony (or at least, SCEE) actually gave a shit about the minis service though - to the point where they even released a few of them at retail - and did pretty well.

They just let PSM rot since day one.

What the fuck? I want my money back.

Lol?

That's just the nature of digital downloads, once the service is gone, everything just disappears.

People swearing on embracing the digital future are going to be mighty upset if in 10 years Sony goes bankrupt and PSN is shut down entirely.

Lol?

That's just the nature of digital downloads, once the service is gone, everything just disappears.

People swearing on embracing the digital future are going to be mighty upset if in 10 years Sony goes bankrupt and PSN is shut down entirely.
Piracy will save us.

nampad

Lol?

PSN is still up and Sony too so what's the problem? #4theplayers my ass.

Lol?

The thing is, end of support usually means no more new releases and no more purchases, but that doesn't take away your ability to download.

small44

Lol?

Even if i don't update my firmware?

wow, that gives me confidence in Sony as a digital distributor....

I guess these games are not DRM-free?

will people be able to hack these games and upload them to torrent sites?

Piracy truly is the saviour of our digital culture

Occam

Aqua Kitty started out on PSM and then graduated to PSN.

Anyway, most of the games on PSM were pretty terrible. Seems there was no quality control other than making sure the games were functional.

Top Bottom