• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Sony shutting down Playstation Mobile (PSM) on Vita

Percy

Banned
Sounds like a great loss for the industry...

But seriously though, if they're really not going to let people continue to redownload purchased titles, then I sure as fuck would hope they'll be issuing refunds to all those affected by this. It's nothing short of an outrage if they don't.

Well I don't see it as a problem. It was a flop out the gate. Good thing they trashed it and now can focus on maybe being a mobile publisher for these games in their respected app stores. I will never understand why all these tech company do all this work to make their own app store within a app store and bet that this will be healthy for them. Cut it out.

if you have a PSM game on your download list.. you won´t be able to redownload it once PSM is gone.. so make sure that the PSM games are on your Vita, if you want to keep them.

This is why I am not hot on buying full retail games on download services. If it's available on a disc I'm getting it on a disc.

Kssio_Aug

I'll be honest, I just sold my Vita this weekend, and never heard of PSM before. Still, its pretty awful for those who have already bought games in this service and won't be able to redownload them.

I enjoy the praticity of digital content, but this kind of pratices, summed with the impossibility to resell the game is making me more cautious about it lately.

billsmugs

PSM should have started out as it is now, with games exclusively for the Vita and capable of using almost all of the device's processing capabilities. They should also have integrated it better with the store, at least with a search bar. Review codes would have been nice too.

Unfortunately they started out with the daft Android/Xperia Play requirements and severely limited resources, which meant that by the time they fixed it most people had already written it off.

After the changes made last year, this was by far the easiest (and for many the only) way for hobbyists/small teams/individuals/mobile developers to get their games on a console (albeit not a popular one). The games didn't sell very well at all and there's certainly a lot of low quality content on the store, but no-one can claim that this shut down is anything but negative and the limitations on re-downloading content have rather worrying implications for the Vita's own end of life.

People praise the rise of indies on consoles, but Sony here are killing what, with a bit of effort, could have been the best, most open platform for independent developers to get their games on a console. They should be expanding it to PS4, not closing it down!

At least most developers still working on games for PSM will be using Unity at this point, so they can easily release their work on other platforms. I really feel sorry for anyone working with the PSM SDK, hopefully the similarities with Monogame will allow them to port it without too much effort.

You'd have thought that Sony would want all the content it could get on Vita, but they seem to be trying to kill it off slowly, with the closing of Near (which will remove functionality, albeit mostly limited, from several games), the removal of the Youtube app and now this. I wonder what will be next?

Shinriji

There is an oportunity for companies that works with indie games or software ports, grab the best PSM games and bring to PSN with improved performance, trophies, (working) leaderboards, etc.

cpooi

PSM never got released in my region.

I was hoping it would come out someday.

Oh well.

I live in Singapore

Ugh, I signed up last week. It's the most accessible way to get your game on Vita as an indie.

Malebolgia on a portable would make a lot of people happy. Hope you still pursue it via the regular channels, at least the game could have trophies then!

I don't understand what Sony's relationship with the Vita is anymore. It's like they are ashamed of it, but don't quite want to exile it (however, they want to get really close to it).

Axiom

I have a few PSM games and I think it's a shame it's shutting down. I'd have never discovered the "Quiet, Please!" series otherwise, and I have no desire to play them without buttons.

As a consumer I think it's goddamn terrible if they're taking away my ability to redownload the games.

Did Wonder Boy in Monster Land ever get released?

I thought one of the companies porting arcade games was releasing it, but I can't recall the details (and probably Japan only, boo).

Josh7289

No re-downloads after September 10 in Japan. Yikes... I know this isn't the main PlayStation Store content, but that is concerning that there is now sort of precedent for entirely shutting down digital stores on consoles (after Xbox Live was shut down on the original Xbox in 2010 as well).

We need somebody to make a list/thread of the best PSM games to grab before shutdown.

I already know Musync (DDR/beatmania clone) is on that damn list.

hesido

OK, can we make sure that at least we can back up those games to PC's or whatever (no, not just to an extra vita mem card)

This hurts consumer confidence in the "digital future". But I guess, it won't, "games as cancellable services" will be the norm and game preservation will not be possible by legal means.

Ouren

OK, can we make sure that at least we can back up those games to PC's or whatever (no, not just to an extra vita mem card)

This hurts consumer confidence in the "digital future". But I guess, it won't, "games as cancellable services" will be the norm and game preservation will not be possible by legal means.

This was a program hijacked by Ericson.
They'll never be able to get rid of the weird crap tech associated with it

billsmugs

Can someone explain the difference between PSM and Minis? I always thought they were the same thing.

I only have first-hand knowledge of PSM, so any former Minis devs might be able to correct me on some points, but my understanding is:

Minis were smaller games with more limited needs (I think there were restrictions on online connectivity and a file size limit) that didn't require a full developer application and tools but still needed devs to sign up through something close to the process for creating "full" games for PS platforms. They started out as a PSP-only thing I think, then got opened up to PS3. They weren't anything to do with the Vita, though you can play them through the PSP emulation/backwards compatibility on the Vita.

PSM ("Playstation Mobile") is a system by which anyone can sign up (from bedroom coders to small studios) to create games for PS Vita and "selected Android devices" (Sony phones/tablets and a few from other brands). Originally there was a ~£60 fee per year to deploy to devices and release on the store, but this got scrapped later. At first you were limited to (very) poor performance and a small amount of RAM, but then later they dropped the Android support and opened up (most of) the full power of the Vita, though you don't get PSN access or trophies and you can only develop in C# via the PSM SDK or the Unity game engine.

In short:
To release a "Minis" title you had to be a proper company and get devkits etc, but it was a simplified process for smaller teams, that often was used as a stepping-stone into full PSN game releases. Nowadays you'd just apply to be a PS registered developer through the normal channels and they are much more understanding and welcoming to smaller teams.

PSM is (soon to be was) a method by which individuals could release a game on Vita without the need to set up a company or buy devkits. A few larger companies used it for ports of mobile games, but I suspect they were pushed in that direction by Sony to try and legitimise the PSM store and drive interest in it.

Like minis before, this shouldn't even have existed in the first place. A waste of time to everyone involved.
I tend to agree. They need to simply lower the barriers that might be in place for very small developers to get their software into the regular Vita marketplace.

Adventure Bar Story is supposed to be a pretty neat JRPG and shop sim.

Of course, it also available on most phones and has a premium (non-IAP) version on 3DS.

That 3ds version sounds good to me.

Edit: Anybody buy Flight World Simulator? That interest me so much for some reason. PSTV support?

Life of Pixel is still one of my favourite Vita games but the developer wasn't able to put it on Vita proper meaning it was only on PSM. Doomed from the off.

FireCloud

I only have first-hand knowledge of PSM, so any former Minis devs might be able to correct me on some points, but my understanding is: . . .

Thanks billsmugs. That was helpful. I didn't realize that PSM allowed access to more hardware resources. Guess, if I would have thought about Tokyo Jungle Mobile versus some of the Minis I've played, it would have made more sense.

Top Bottom