• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Sony shutting down Playstation Mobile (PSM) on Vita

autoduelist

Things like separating PSM from the normal games marketplace so these games were all hidden away, not allowing devs access to various system functions, stuff like that.

Well, they didn't really have much choice. The games needed to work on more devices than simply vitas, so they couldn't allow access to 'various system functions'. They wouldn't be able to have trophies either. So, at that point, you almost need to separate them into their own storefront so people don't buy them thinking they are 'native' vita games.

But then when you're in a separate storefront, don't have trophies, etc, you're not going to sell. So it's a vicious circle.

At least Sony tried it; it was mildly successful at times, but even trying to bring 'cult' titles into the fold (tokyo jungle, the 'what did i do to deserve this my lord' game, etc) didn't bring it success.

so... kill it. it was a failed venture. nothing really to do with vita, it just wasn't a viable marketplace.

thechemist

Got a email confirming this.

PlayStation Mobile will cease to distribute content after 15 July 2015

PlayStation Mobile will stop distributing content after 15 July 2015. After 10 September 2015 you’ll no longer be able to make in-app purchases or re-download PlayStation Mobile content you’ve already purchased. The “PlayStation Mobile for Android” application will also no longer be available for download after 10 September 2015.

Don’t worry, you can keep playing all the PlayStation Mobile content you’ve bought already – you just need to activate your devices by 10 September 2015.

Here’s how to activate your devices and keep playing your purchased content:

Between 10 April 2015 and 10 September 2015, simply start up your PSM content on the devices you want to keep playing on, and make sure your device is connected to the network.

Activation takes place automatically, and up to three compatible devices can be activated.

Please remember that if you deactivate your device again after 10 September 2015 you won’t be able to play your PSM content again.

If you want to keep playing on PlayStation®Vita, you can also activate your device by performing the steps below between 10 March 2015 and 10 September 2015:

- [Settings] > [PSNSM] > [System Activation] > [PlayStation Mobile] > [Activate]

Got a question or need more support? Head over to the PlayStation Mobile support pages.

Thank you to everyone who played with PlayStation Mobile, and we hope you continue to enjoy all your purchased content.

Bump. This looks to be the more relevant thread of the two top ones from the search results.

Just received an email.

1W0AQTp.png

Code:
http://view.playstationmail.net/?j=fec315797663057a&m=fe9815707366037b74&ls=fe5e15707d630475751d&l=ff9b1573&s=fe6515707d6505787c15&jb=ff5d15787c&ju=fe5c17717c6d047f7012&et_cid=em_193717&et_rid=10811591&Linkid=PSMS2-S-170415-CE-1ST-APS%E2%80%8F%E2%80%8F_en_AU&r=0

But that's my birthday...

dose

After 10 September 2015 you’ll no longer be able to make in-app purchases or re-download PlayStation Mobile content you’ve already purchased.
WTF? How can they stop providing what you have paid for? Outrageous.
I can see this happening with Vita and PS3 content at some time in the future, where there will be a real shitstorm.

WTF? How can they stop providing what you have paid for? Outrageous.
I can see this happening with Vita and PS3 content at some time in the future, where there will be a real shitstorm.

Same reason any other digital service would stop providing it...

Top Bottom