• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Sony shutting down Playstation Mobile (PSM) on Vita

hesido

You can remove the rumour tag..

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra.../support/sp_20150311_psm_info.html&edit-text=

This is a glimpse of the digital future. A very dick move. It seems you will NOT be able to download your purchased content after a certain time. Some Japanese speaker can verify this? Will they allow backing up of content on a PC, for example? I hope so.

Whether the service was popular or not is not relevant here. The fact that they will disallow downloads is douchebaggery. Let them drop the once-a-month re-authenticate for PS Mobile titles if that's really bugging their servers. (But a non-popular service should not be hammering those servers to death, should it?), and why even bother to disallow those downloads, when they shouldn't be putting much strain on their download servers anyway?

To preserve your PSM game in your Vita, you have to activate it between April 10 and September 10.

And to download the game before July 15 of course, since the PSM Store will close that day.

After September 10, no PSM game can be downloaded again if it's not already on your Vita.

SteveWD40

You can remove the rumour tag..

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra.../support/sp_20150311_psm_info.html&edit-text=

This is a glimpse of the digital future. A very dick move. It seems you will NOT be able to download your purchased content after a certain time. Some Japanese speaker can verify this? Will they allow backing up of content on a PC, for example? I hope so.

Whether the service was popular or not is not relevant here. The fact that they will disallow downloads is douchebaggery. Let them drop the once-a-month re-authenticate for PS Mobile titles if that's really bugging their servers. (But a non-popular service should not be hammering those servers to death, should it?), and why even bother to disallow those downloads, when they shouldn't be putting much strain on their download servers anyway?

This is why I can't get comfortable with digital on consoles. Steam is probably going to outlive me, PC will always be around but when the Vita is dead (5 years max?) Sony are going to do a cost analysis on keeping the download servers active for the PSN store and decide to kill them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The thing is, end of support usually means no more new releases and no more purchases, but that doesn't take away your ability to download.

End of support for the entire PSM structure.

delisted PSN games is like a club not accepting new members, but the existing members can still enjoy the benefits.

But this..this is like the shutting down of the entire club.

Hanmik

It seems like Sony isn´t even telling the people who have games on PSM what is happening.. they have to find out via news or twitter..

Occam

To preserve your PSM game in your Vita, you have to activate it between April 10 and September 10.

And to download the game before July 15 of course, since the PSM Store will close that day.

After September 10, no PSM game can be downloaded again if it's not already on your Vita.

But they can be backed up to PC, right?

hesido

This is why I can't get comfortable with digital on consoles. Steam is probably going to outlive me, PC will always be around but when the Vita is dead (5 years max?) Sony are going to do a cost analysis on keeping the download servers active for the PSN store and decide to kill them.

Sony should clearly lay out a plan about what it will do on the (let's hope, un)likely event that it wants to shut down its PSN download and authentication servers. Again, the service being popular now is not relevant and not comforting. Steam I think has such promises, whether formal or not, about what it would do if it goes down.

But they can be backed up to PC, right?
This is absolutely the critical bit. If this is not possible, I don't know how to channel my anger to Sony in some peaceful manner.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Pretty much. PC is the only place I go digital these days.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They're shutting it down because they're releasing a new model of the Vita that will run on the Vita OS as well as Android and will have the entire Google Play store on it instead.

Shinriji

If this activation part is true (and looks like it), people that frequently changes accounts on vita (like me) will lose access to the PSM games when changing to the original account.

So if you want your PSM game, you can't swap regions accounts anymore.

what's the best game on PSM?

- Aqua Kitty, a fun Defender-clone, but the DX version on the PSN store improves the game in almost every way

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
PSM was a potentially great idea badly executed, i wonder what will happen to those developers who are still developing on it.

Xis

I have 7 or so PSM titles (Sony gave them out for free in a couple of promotions).

Aqua Kitty and Super Crate Box have already been mentioned as pretty good; and Rymdkapsel reviewed well, but I had the most fun with OMG-Z.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah, this is why I never ever buy anything digitally for real money. I can just double down on my sincere statement of "fuck digital".

shink

Everything dead with Vita =/
It was so poorly integrated though, in its own store with no exposure. Wasted potential.

shitty news to wake up to...just when I was starting to get serious with my PSM game
Well the silence on the official PSM forum about the Unity 5 integration should have been warning signal enough

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the digital future.....

This is annoying - because in theory a digital game should be forever available - but I don't think it's annoying wrt physical software.

Physical software can disappear from store shelves too. And in terms of your own personal copy, if you already bought one, you can keep a physical copy of these PSM games too.

Bashtee

Updated my post with the infos from the DevPortal and the google translation link from hesido (thanks!). Hope I don't get into trouble for completly posting the DevPortal statement.

zeopower6

To be fair, the initiative for PSM was to have stuff on all kinds of platforms and Vita just so happened to be one of them.

To be honest it was a matter of time when they announced it would be shutting down on Android devices a few months ago.

It really had the potential to be the solution to bridge dedicated handhelds and smartphones. But without the proper backing it was doomed from the start.

Top Bottom