• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

They don't really need exclusives to be honest especially if they have Battlefront marketing.

I thought Microsoft already had it?

That's right, my bad. Forgot about the DLC deal. To be fair, it's hard to remember anything about that game with how little they've shown/spoken of it.

Chobel

Man PS4 is in deep shit this holiday.

735.gif

kyser73

I stated this already (less information due actually wanting the op to research first) and the op just skips it so its very telling.

Isn't it? It's like the last decade has seen multiplats being the biggest Xmas sellers and yet still people insist it being about exclusives on their favoured platform making the difference.

It's not a console war thread, iits a "WTF Is Sony doing for the holidays" thread.

If they really do have Battlefront then I do think I jumped the gun. We'll know tomorrow right?

And as has been pointed out, Sony releases games all though the year, while MS tends to stack their important releases in that three month window and largely ignores the rest of the year.

So, for me they have Disgaea 5 and Persona 5. That's likely enough for me to be very happy with the holiday. Plus, I honestly believe they will have The Last Guardian for this holiday. Add in a few mid level/PSN games, and it's a decent holiday for more hardcore fans.

Star Wars Battlefront could kill.

As far as matching the trio of heavy hitters from Microsoft, very unlikely.

Adachi

Banned
Maybe No Man's Sky will be a holiday title, while not retail this could still turn some heads.

Other than that Persona, R&C and if I had to guess at least one retail game that's not been announced at this point.

Also marketing for MGS and probably 1 or 2 more titles, maybe Battlefront, maybe something from Bethesda that they'll show at E3, maybe from Rockstar (though I doubt there'll be a new Rockstar game this year).

They probably won't have a really big AAA game.

Last year was just Driveclub and LittleBigPlanet 3 but it didn't seem to hurt them, so they should be fine this year with 'small' stuff like Ratchet & Clank and Tearaway Unfolded.

The PS4 has earned itself a reputation as the console to have, so people will be buying them to play Star Wars and Metal Gear regardless of the exclusive lineup.

Shabad

I don't know...

• Japanese games (Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Disgaea 5, some hunter games, ... )
  • Great high production value indie exclusives (No Man's Sky, Rime, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, The Witness, ...)
  • First party AAA games (Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, ...)
  • Future announcements at E3/GC/TGS (Everybody's Golf ? Gran Turismo 7 ? Hell, even The Last Guardian !)
  • Marketing deals (Battlefront ? The Phantom Pain ? )

They should be fine... They would be fine without any of that anyway...

marcincz

I don't know...

• Japanese games (Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Disgaea 5, some hunter games, ... )
  • Great high production value indie exclusives (No Man's Sky, Rime, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, The Witness, ...)
  • First party AAA games (Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, ...)
  • Future announcements at E3/GC/TGS (Everybody's Golf ? Gran Turismo 7 ? Hell, even The Last Guardian !)
  • Marketing deals (Battlefront ? The Phantom Pain ? )

They should be fine... They would be fine without any of that anyway...

Besides Uncharted trilogy HD and Tearaway Unfolded.
Shadow of the Beast, too.

• The Tomorrow Children
  • No Man's Sky
  • PlanetSide 2
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Uncharted: The Remastered Trilogy
  • Morpheus Teaser demos in stores

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not quite sure what they have planned but if their rumored summer lineup stays as it is right now (Journey, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Tearaway) and none of those get shifted towards fall i think it suggests Sony are confident with what they have for their holiday lineup instead of trying to pad it out with one or two of these game.

I think this is a good comment. It would be relatively easy for Sony to have sat on eg Tearaway and EGTTR until later in the year, but they aren't. So either they are confident they have something in their pocket, or confident that they can manage without, and backing third parties with comarketing deals.

Stampy

Would it make sense to move Tearaway Unfolded to holiday season. It's a title that may look to a parent like a suited gift for younger generations.

After everything Microsoft threw at Sony during the 2014 holiday, only to barely beat them, you really have to wonder what Microsoft will have to do this coming holiday?

Sony's going to have more than just a remaster this time.

The only thing Microsoft threw at Sony was discounts. But if the console war was about price, the Wii U would be winning. It isn't.

This year Microsoft has Halo 5 which is far more significant than their discounting tactics last year. Even Tomb Raider is. Sunset Overdrive and FH2 - whilst great games - were never going to shift systems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only thing Microsoft threw at Sony was discounts. But if the console war was about price, the Wii U would be winning. It isn't.

This year Microsoft has Halo 5 which is far more significant than their discounting tactics last year. Even Tomb Raider is. Sunset Overdrive and FH2 - whilst great games - were never going to shift systems.

That's not what people were saying last year though.

Damn this thread showed up late this month :p we won't know until after E3 honestly, so give it a few months. I hate to say it, but at least Sony(even Nintendo) takes advantage of the entire calendar year. MS has this weird assumption(Saracsm mostly) that people only play games for 3 months late into the year, and never release shit during the post November-July months..

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
But if Sony's sales lead in the first 9-10 months is completely erased in the holidays, don't you think there's a problem with that strategy?

Even if Sony doesn't have anything at all for the holidays, the lead will bot be erased. It's impossible at this point for MS to catch up and overtake them.

Also, I think it's time that companies relook at their releasing strategies instead of going for the traditional holiday releases. Sales is definitely going to be good during those few months so why not try to make more people buy during the first 9 months of the year, especially when systems are leas likely to be discounted or bundle, leading to higher margins.

Ishan

essentially battlefront. but its the star wars year!

(sony has been coasting tho, but it does have the somewhat already critical mass advantage)

EDIT: sony spreads its first/exclusives out. we have bloodborne/order already and now rapture for summer. third parties rule holidays. except halo sony has no halo counter. But well they never had one.

Kayant

Right. All that matters is who has the cheapest system. This is of course why the WiiU is doing so well.

Doesn't matter how cheap they made the system, If it didn't have the games people wanted, they wouldn't buy it. Holiday last year, Microsoft had the better games and won those two months.

Sony is doing a much better job staggering their releases which is a reason they win all the other months. Microsoft is basically ignoring January through August and they are losing those months.

How did it do compared to other ps4 exclusives? How many did it sell? According to chartzzzz (yes, i know) it sold 1 million copies in its first week. That doesnt sound bad to me.

Lool and really chartzz...

Wii U has had both(Going by praise of exclusives) for a while yet look at where it is.

Also in UK PS4 won the holiday. How do u explain that?

Top Bottom