• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Yogg

I'm not sure this is from the patch, but I just helped with about 20 BSB kills, and then about 10 Vicar kills, and every single one of them took me less than 10 seconds to be summoned. That's actually kind of awesome. I didn't bother with online features so far because everything was taking way too long, but this is getting suddenly much more interesting ! Hell, I might even try for some PVP at some point !

Well, at least you didn't call them "gankers".

They were co-oping, and you invaded them. Is it considered "cheese" when they both fight you at once? This is not a sarcastic question.

I've definitely fought off invaders in the same way when I'm co-oping. Getting invaded felt like an unwanted interruption while I was helping a friend clear a level.

Summoning for PVP - honorable fight, bowing, yadada....sure.

Invade me while I'm trying to play? Better stay on your toes. Dunno why you would expect mercy.

latest

Sorry gaf but this game has now been ruined for my brother thanks to the patch!
He is still at the start but now every time he warps or dies, every item in the game, even hidden secret items and late game items, are spoiled for him! what the hell, was it like this in past souls games?

not sure if i should laugh or cry, souls fans will probably laugh at me and say it's supposed to be like this but in my opinion it ruins so many surprises, couldn't they just show items currently available?

Sevyne

I think its completely fair game as long as you just give someone time to orient themselves. Even if i'm invaded I wait to do some gesture, let them pick their weapon of choice and then go at it. I guess its all about the initial pleasantries for me :)

You really need to think about it from the perspective of a person who may just be trying to help a friend co-op. To them, you are an unwelcome invader impeding on their progress. They do not owe you any sort of pleasantries. They could kill you mid-gesture if they wanted to and nothing would be wrong with that.

Now of course you'll sometimes invade folks who are all about the PvP/sportsmanship/etc, but not everyone wants you in their game and will do anything to get rid of you.

Cuyejo

latest

He is still at the start but now every time he warps or dies every item in the game, even hidden secret items and late game items are spoiled for him! what the hell, was it like this in past should games?

DS1 and DS2 does it too.

latest

He is still at the start but now every time he warps or dies, every item in the game, even hidden secret items and late game items, are spoiled for him! what the hell, was it like this in past souls games?

not sure if i should laugh or cry, souls fans will probably laugh at me and say it's supposed to be like this but in my opinion it ruins so many surprises, couldn't they just show items currently available?

Yeah honestly its pretty dumb how it picks any random items, in ds2 a super late game boss can be spoiled from its soul description

latest

i'm confused... what do you mean spoiled? I haven't played since the patch and haven't plays DS1 or 2. how is it spoiled?

Blobbers

I've actually stumbled upon a boss more annoying than Ebrietas.

The Watchdog in Defiled Pthumeru is kicking my ass because my health is halved. Even with Bone Ash armor half of his attacks insta kill me and he's tanky as fuck. This is gonna be one hell of a grind.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Am I the only person who havent finished this game yet loool :p

Just killed the
Shadow of Shadow Of Yharnam
killed them on my third try
woohooo :D

What now ?? Do I keep going south ?

Nope, I got it on midnight launch, and have played it pretty much every day (had maybe 2 or 3 two day breaks) and have just killed ML last night. Still a ways to go for us!

0racle

The Watchdog in Defiled Pthumeru is kicking my ass because my health is halved. Even with Bone Ash armor half of his attacks insta kill me and he's tanky as fuck. This is gonna be one hell of a grind.

This is by far the hardest fight in the game. By the end of it you will know the boss better than you know yourself. If you dont, you won't beat him.

Ferrio

Banned
well thank god i finished it before this patch, i would have gone mad like he just did.
it spoiled so many secret items he could't keep up, he was raging!

Eh, does knowing the exist really spoil anything? You still don't know where they are, what exactly they do etc.

I personally would of liked having them in my playthrough "Oh look at that weapon, I need to find that!"

i'm confused... what do you mean spoiled? I haven't played since the patch and haven't plays DS1 or 2. how is it spoiled?

they literally show every item or anything you can get in the entire game in between warping and death, it doesn't matter where you are in the story.
Even if you die for the first time in the game they might have a picture of a late game obtainable item and it's description.
You might love it, but i would have flipped if i was just starting the game and then this patch came along and started showing me end game items and lore, it makes it so much more confusing and spoils secret items.

Eh, does knowing the exist really spoil anything? You still don't know where they are, what exactly they do etc.

I personally would of liked having them in my playthrough "Oh look at that weapon, I need to find that!"

As i said above, souls fans obviously love it but i would have hated it, and my brother who has now just deleted the patch so he can continue without being spoiled clearly thinks the same.
You might not know where they are but by the time you find it you've already read it's description, it's more like.... oh here's that thing i already knew existed, the surprise and excitement of finding a new item is gone.

I nearly rage quit from that boss. Took a break for a few days, came home from a late shift at work and fired the game up. Got him on my first try that night.

If you are patient you can kill him without getting touched. Just keep your distance and run around in circles till he does the charge attack. It always misses to the side of you. Get in one hit (two is possible but also likely to kill you if you aren't timed perfectly) then roll away twice (my brother gave me that advice). You can usually sprint in and get in 2 or 3 hits when he spits lava too. Fight should take 10 minutes or so.

NastyBook

Okay, in N
ightmare
M
ensis
, and I've just happened up this
bride in a blood-stained dress
. She's
shackled and crying about something.

Weapons free?

Jonm1010

Banned
well thank god i finished it before this patch, i would have gone mad like he just did.
it spoiled so many secret items he could't keep up, he was raging!
I had a hunch something like this would happen with the patch. They would just dump items and descriptions like other games which I always hated.

It needs to be done with more care. Like a tier for before the first boss, after certain benchmarks etc. keep blatant secrets shrouded in a mystery or not at all.

The world is so rich with clear backstory and such outside of the story you find, why not slowly unveil that? Stick to concept art of current areas, monsters, the boss you just beat etc.

they literally show every item or anything you can get in the entire game in between warping and death, it doesn't matter where you are in the story.
Even if you die for the first time in the game they might have a picture of a late game obtainable item and it's description.
You might love it, but i would have flipped if i was just starting the game and then this patch came along and started showing me end game items and lore, it makes it so much more confusing and spoils secret items.

What end game lore is in the item descriptions?

Toxi

Banned
latest

I think it's fine with the exception of revealing the
Burial Blade
. That one's a massive spoiler.

Okay, in N
ightmare
M
ensis
, and I've just happened up this
bride in a blood-stained dress
. She's
shackled and crying about something.

Weapons free?

Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen. who the city is named after
you're fine

I had a hunch something like this would happen with the patch. They would just dump items and descriptions like other games which I always hated.

It needs to be done with more care. Like a tier for before the first boss, after certain benchmarks etc. keep blatant secrets shrouded in a mystery or not at all.

The world is so rich with clear backstory and such outside of the story you find, why not slowly unveil that? Stick to concept art of current areas, monsters, the boss you just beat etc.

this was my first souls game and i'm so glad i finished it before they changed it.
exactly like you said, the game does a good job at slowly unveiling the story through items you find and the descriptions , it slowly tells a story for you to piece together.
after the patch it seems crazy, there is no thought put into what you can or can't see during the loading...end game items, secret items anything is possible and it doesn't matter.
I'm so glad i got to play blood borne without having every item being spoiled, and it looks like maybe i won't be buying the past games now that i know they do this every game.

I think it's fine with the exception of revealing the
Burial Blade
. That one's a massive spoiler.
that one is a massive spoiler, but for me so many items are spoilers...so many pieces of clothing and items descriptions reveal characters and parts of the story long before your supposed to know about them, you should only be able to see items or enemies that are already available or that you've met.

CLEEK

What is a typical SL for starting NG+ and having a similar difficulty balance as NG?

Does the difficulty scale with your starting level e.g. whatever level you start NG+ on is like level SL1 in NG? Now I'm at the end game, is it worth me grinding a bit to increase my SL before I clock the game?

If it helps, here are the tactics I posted in the prior thread, modified to be a bit clearer, that should help with it (once I figured this tactic out, I believe I got it on my first attempt):

Do not target all fight. Stay close to him, in front of him. When he goes to do the normal bite move, depending on which side he attacks, immediately run around his safe side (i.e. the side from which he begins his attack) and whack his back legs twice. Just do this all fight and you will win. As long as you stay close he won't use other attacks. If he does the running charge, dodge it, which should be easy due to the positioning you will have via this tactic.

I can't figure out why bosses like this seemed like cake to me, but others which other people seem to consider the easiest, were much more difficult for me. For instance,
Loran Darkstalker (i.e. final Loran chalice boss)
is the only boss I have not yet beat in the game, but apparently this was an easy fight for many people? Or
Abhorrent Beast in Loran
...spent an entire night working on beating this guy. I did a skill / arcane build by the way...perhaps that has something to do with it?

Angry Guy

maybe i won't be buying the past games now that i know they do this every game.

Your mileage may vary, but the fact that previous games did it that way didn't hinder my piecing together of the plot in any way. If you're interested, I wouldn't skip over them for something so minor.

Dez_

What is a typical SL for starting NG+ and having a similar difficulty balance as NG?

Does the difficulty scale with your starting level e.g. whatever level you start NG+ on is like level SL1 in NG? Now I'm at the end game, is it worth me grinding a bit to increase my SL before I clock the game?

I finished the game with my level in the 80's, maybe higher. Don't know if it's standard, but NG+ doesn't scale with your level. It gets harder, enemies have more health and hit harder, but also give out more blood echoes. You won't be leveling as fast, but you'll still be able to move at a pretty decent pace. If you want to grind, I say go for it. You'll be able to go through the game pretty quickly too, provided you don't get hung up on a boss.

Your mileage may vary, but the fact that previous games did it that way didn't hinder my piecing together of the plot in any way. If you're interested, I wouldn't skip over them for something so minor.

do they show off every obtainable item in the game? did they do it any differently at all?
It might seem crazy to you but that's put me off massively, half of my adoration for bloodborne comes from slowly piecing together the story myself gradually through new items discoveries, finding new things and reading about them carefully to unravel the mystery.
The title on a black screen was a little dull, it would have been great if the loading was shorter and i agree that items and artwork are perfect but surely only things you've discovered so far.

Jonm1010

Banned
this was my first souls game and i'm so glad i finished it before they changed it.
exactly like you said, the game does a good job at slowly unveiling the story through items you find and the descriptions , it slowly tells a story for you to piece together.
after the patch it seems crazy, there is no thought put into what you can or can't see during the loading...end game items, secret items anything is possible and it doesn't matter.
I'm so glad i got to play blood borne without having every item being spoiled, and it looks like maybe i won't be buying the past games now that i know they do this every game.

that one is a massive spoiler, but for me so many items are spoilers...so many pieces of clothing and items descriptions reveal characters and parts of the story long before your supposed to know about them, you should only be able to see items or enemies that are already available or that you've met.

Yeah I think an easy fix would be to relegate the beginning loading screens to just basic mechanic info or basic starting item descriptions and beginning area concept art. Maybe just the latter because the former goes against what the game tries to do.

Then maybe after a period where you find items or progress a new tier of descriptions and artwork unlocks. You get X item from NPC so now that item has a brief vague description added to the random collection of loading screen images.

As for not playing the other games. I don't think it will ruin it. I can't remember anything in particular getting spoiled. Then again I did play primarily on PC for DS1 and 2 where loading was very quick.

xinek

Just beat
Pthumerian Descendant
in the Ihyll chalice. Whew, that was almost as bad as Defiled Hotdog! It took many attempts again, but let me give my encouragement to anyone else having issues here. My strategy was to
cheese him through the pillars with 2-handed Ludwig
. I'm not even ashamed.

Yibby

My strategy was to
cheese him through the pillars with 2-handed Ludwig
. I'm not even ashamed.

You can parry him. Don't be afraid to waste bullets. I used 22 bullets for ~5 visceral attacks but that was enough to bring him down (plus a few small hits).
Everytime he rolls in your direction is an easy parry opportunity

As for not playing the other games. I don't think it will ruin it. I can't remember anything in particular getting spoiled. Then again I did play primarily on PC for DS1 and 2 where loading was very quick.

I think i might be alone in this, but to me your not actually discovering anything when you find new things now, the surprise of finding new things you haven't already seen is gone.
that's a large chunk of the game ruined, sure you see new enemies and locations but the joy of picking up something you've never seen before is gone.
it's like reading about every item in the games strategy guide before you even play it.

all the workshop tools are spoiled, all the outfits , every item, every weapon, there is a good chance that the player has already seen and read about it before they find it.
that seems crazy to me, i'm honestly shocked to discover that past souls games did this and i've never heard about this before, seems like a very flawed mechanic in an otherwise amazing series.

Astral

The stupid elevator at the Unseen Village doesn't work AGAIN. This is the second time it does this to me. I better one shot the stupid boss.

Just got to the end game! I've been to every optional area and beaten every optional boss! I'm trying to get a platinum in one play through. I know I need to backup my save to a USB and use that to get all three endings. Is there anything else I need to be sure to do before I beat the game?

I need to get all the Hunter Tool's and all the Weapon's, right? I guess I should do that before ending the game? The Chalice trophies can be done after I roll into NG+, right? I'll keep all my chalices and ritual materials, correct?

As i said above, souls fans obviously love it but i would have hated it, and my brother who has now just deleted the patch so he can continue without being spoiled clearly thinks the same.
You might not know where they are but by the time you find it you've already read it's description, it's more like.... oh here's that thing i already knew existed, the surprise and excitement of finding a new item is gone.

gotcha.. yea i guess that would be kind of annoying if I just started the game. I am on NG+, so it doesn't bother me much. Easy way to avoid it though just look away lol

What the fuck is this Watchdog bullshit. Wasted 130 fucking vials. Good to know fire res is worthless. Jesus christ.

Dark Souls 3 can't get released soon enough.

Gammacide

Not sure if anyone cares, but I found what has become my go-to spot for farming echoes in NG+:
Hypogean Gaol
. Almost 100k for killing 2 snatchers and 2 pigs. Insane EPS (echoes per second). I'm Lvl 126 right now and gaining a level every couple of minutes. All I have left to do is finish the chalices so I need the HP I think. Mind you, this is with all three Moon runes equipped.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure if anyone cares, but I found what has become my go-to spot for farming echoes in NG+:
Hypogean Gaol
. Almost 100k for killing 2 snatchers and 2 pigs. Insane EPS (echoes per second). I'm Lvl 126 right now and gaining a level every couple of minutes. All I have left to do is finish the chalices so I need the HP I think. Mind you, this is with all three Moon runes equipped.
Neato. I heard the
Lecture Building
is also pretty good, especially since the enemies occasionally drop sedatives.

Did they patch the Iosefka's clinic glitch? I used to be able to do it, but I just started a NG+ and I can't seem to anymore.

Edit: nm looks like they did

burgerdog

Damn, I didn't know beating the NF / NoM bosses got rid of the bell maidens. Now I have to do the invading and take the hp cut all the time.

NastyBook

Okay, M
ergo's
W
et
N
urse
is down, and my fucking house
is on fire
. How close am I to end game? Should I go ahead and start doing more Chalice Dungeons?

Sevyne

Hypogean Gaol

If you are landing Viscerals on them, make sure to equip Heir runes instead. You'll get a lot more that way.

Okay, M
ergo's
W
et
N
urse
is down, and my fucking house
is on fire
. How close am I to end game? Should I go ahead and start doing more Chalice Dungeons?

You are pretty much at it.

I noticed this the other day, but after several playthroughs I absolutly love the voice of Micolash. Something about it just fits the atmosphere and feel of that zone so perfect. I would say its my favorite voice acting in the whole game.

Top Bottom