• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's FY15: $368 million mobile, $369 console/hand/PC, $194 MMO, profit +49%

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
squarezms7q.png

square2yryqk.png

square3zya7t.png

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q4slides.pdf

---

Note: Mobile revenue was ~2x MMO revenue.

Due to how strong their mobile revenue was (it's competitive with console in the last five years) I made a separate thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044868

---

There should be a presentation a bit later but I'll be sleeping by then: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/

Square Enix said:
Digital Entertainment

The Digital Entertainment segment consists of planning, development, distribution, and operation of digital
entertainment content primarily in the form of games. Digital entertainment content is offered to meet
customer lifestyles across a variety of usage environments such as consumer game consoles (including
handheld game machines), personal computers and smart devices.

In the consolidated fiscal year under review, repeat sales, primarily through download, of catalogue titles
released in the prior fiscal year were strong, while the Group released fewer full-length console game titles
compared with the prior fiscal year.

In the area of content for platforms such as smart devices and PC browser, “SENGOKU IXA,” a browser
game and “DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS SUPER LIGHT,” a game for smartphones continued to show
strong performance. “SCHOOLGIRL STRIKERS,” “FINAL FANTASY RECORD KEEPER,” and “Kai-ri-Sei
Million Arthur
,” games for smartphones newly released during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2015 have
been showing strong performance as well.

Massively mulitiplayer online role playing games such as “FINAL FANTASY XIV” and “DRAGON QUEST
X
” have been making favorable progress.

Net sales and operating income in the Digital Entertainment segment totaled ¥111,926 million (an increase
of 18.4% from the prior fiscal year) and ¥17,276 million (an increase of 61.3% from the prior fiscal year),
respectively.

patapuf

Seems like most big Japanese console devs have managed to find sucess on mobile after having struggled a bit at the beginning

spekkeh

Banned
This makes me a sad panda.

Though if they're talking about profitability of FFXIV, that's probably a very hypothetical profit.

Randy42

Just wait for the Type 0 HD steam release to surprise all estimates like VC did
itll happen guys, right?

right?

As long as them doing well means they can afford to put a lot of money into Deus Ex I don't really care where their money comes from.

They won't have any AAA development in five years

Hey, they're paying for SO5, Mana, Dissidia and all that good stuff, so keep doing your mobile all you want.

I wonder how the western side is doing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Seems like most big Japanese console devs have managed to find sucess on mobile after having struggled a bit at the beginning

I'd say it's more like Japan has always been a 100% mobile-positive market, and the initial "struggle" was them holding onto their console focus.

It's really sad but true.... companies like Capcom and Konami focusing on mobile is smart.

Godspeed projects like FFXV and KH3 because they are the big exception for Japanese development.

S-E should be worshipping the FFXIV team because that game was abysmal when they pushed it out. Not only savaging that thing, but turning it into what it is today is baffling.

BocoDragon

S-E should be worshipping the FFXIV team because that game was abysmal when they pushed it out. Not only savaging that thing, but turning it into what it is today is baffling.

I don't find it that miraculous. They basically threw everything they had against a wall until it was good. It took additional years of development.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Considering how much money mobile brings to them, i'm happy SE still focuses on AAA console game development as much as they do, as much as i've slandered on about them over the years of not releasing anything besides Lightning.

We're gettting DQH, FF15, KH3, we got Type 0, a remaster of FFX(twice) and waiting on a a remaster of KH and 12, not to mention PS4 Dissidia, PS3/PS4 SO5 and even an unannounced project for this year...?(is this still a thing?)

ColdSpike

Banned
I can see it now, Deus Ex the Mobile Adventures. Twenty dollars for the base game, additional weapons cost two bucks each.

BocoDragon

Considering how much money mobile brings to them, i'm happy SE still focuses on AAA console game development as much as they do, as much as i've slandered on about them over the years of not releasing anything besides Lightning.

We're gettting DQH, FF15, KH3, we got Type 0, a remaster of FFX(twice) and waiting on a a remaster of KH and 12

I would say that they do this because of ideas and values, not numbers: console games are their legacy. The people that work there remember and value that legacy. They have the pride to not give consoles/PCs up to the Western Eidos side. It's ideology (an ideology that GAF could appreciate).

Because if they just looked at the numbers and made decisions based on that? They might just cut and run from console development altogether. It's what many other Japanese giants are doing now....

random25

No wonder they are keeping a solid support for both DQX and FFXIV. The start for both was slow, especially FFXIV, but now they are ripe for the picking. And they are doing a pretty good job earning from their mobile games, even though some of their earlier releases were questionable in quality lol.

Sad that no mention of any video game sales and profit in their positive financial report. Looks to be a non-factor in their financials, or they just didn't bother putting them lol.

It makes sense for these major Japanese Pubs and Devs to be making this mobile switch. Console sales in Japan are dead and mobile is king. They are simply catering to their market.

Edit: Also nice results for SE

KoopaTheCasual

Idk, maybe I'm being blisteringly optimistic, but I'm happy that even with their profits coming from mainly mobile and MMO, SE has recently upped their mid-tier HD console support, and continue to diversify their sources of revenue.

I just hope they stick to their new plan, and keep supporting current-gen consoles.

remember when these guys actually made the best games in the world and their fans loved them? Remember when SQUARE ENIX came about and we thought we would get access to games like Illusion of Time and Terranigma?

fuck.

Congrat to them. FFXIV is absolutely amazing. With 2 MMO constantly generating revenues they should have enough cash to bring back more traditional console games.

Top Bottom