• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's FY15: $368 million mobile, $369 console/hand/PC, $194 MMO, profit +49%

IvorB

Woah look at that FF XIV revenue! Pretty great that's it's working out so well for them because the game is f**king great.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well, releasing anything really. Tomb Raider, Just Cause, and Deus Ex on top of what huge number their services earned this year would do it.

I thought the three of them were Q3-4 2016 titles?

I don't even know who these people playing these games on mobile are.. I Just bought a Samsung S6 Edge, a fantastic 1000 dollar phone here in Norway, but playing a rpg on it..? Nope, not going to happen.. I just don't get the appeal.
Banner Saga, XCOM, and FTL play excellently on iPad. Turn based games, tactical games are well suited for touch screen

I play on mobile as much as I do on PC. And not little sessions; a few hours chilling in bed or on the sofa on iPad is great

The really interesting thing about mobile gaming is how much it is a return to "gamings roots" in focussing on "short-form" gaming experiences that are designed to be pick up and play and highly repeatable, right down to using the old "insert 10p to continue" monetisation methods first popularised in arcades.

Whether mobile gaming can - as videogaming in general did historically with the transition from Arcade ("Short form") -> Console ("long form") type experiences for the majority of people is what we're seeing the industry right now flailing around with to see what sticks.
There are already many games that are long form, 2-8 hours experiences, some longer, that are definitely not suited for a bus ride

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FY 2016 yes, but they're coming out in Fall 2015 for the first two and Deus Ex is TBA but most likely Q1 2016.

Oh so fall 2015 for TR2? I must've missed that. Good to know. It looks like this is Eidos' year. Hopefully the next one with FFXV and Dissidia will be Tokyo's year :p

Looking forward to Heavensward's sales btw. I wanna see how big the impact will be on the users'base size of now.

SeanTSC

Oh so fall 2015 for TR2? I must've missed that. Good to know. It looks like this is Eidos' year. Hopefully the next one with FFXV and Dissidia will be Tokyo's year :p

Looking forward to Heavensward's sales btw. I wanna see how big the impact will be on the users'base size of now.

Q4 2015 for the X360 & XB1 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider. PS4/PC later. Early March maybe if they expect it to contribute to the same fiscal year? Not sure if a PS3 version will even happen.

square2yryqk.png
Final fatnasy ... well that's embarrassing

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This seems like it will be good consistent revenue for them. Is anyone else (aside from Blizzard) doing this well with subscription based MMOs?

EVE is a possibility.

I believe EA noted most of SWTOR's revenue has shifted to the f2p element instead of the sub element at this point.

Lineage 1 still makes a lot of money for some reason.

Trogdor1123

well its nice that the console stuff isn't falling...

I think its pointing to the end of good SE games, although one could say that happened a while back.

lol at the people thinking SE is abandoning consoles all together.....are you looking at the same graph as the one in the OP? SE hasn't even released their big franchises yet.

I started to play FFXIV and it's fantastic, so good job SE, maybe you're not that shitty after all.

It's nice that console-hand-PC was 1 million more than mobile at least, haha.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
lol at the people thinking SE is abandoning consoles all together.....are you looking at the same graph as the one in the OP? SE hasn't even released their big franchises yet.

Yeah, Square Enix is a publisher that clearly chose diversification over transition. It's paying off very well. Namco tried to approach more-so as well.

Other companies who instead decided to wind down a lot of traditional publishing (Capcom, Konami, Sega) were more so unable and/or unwilling to compete, hence the heavy resource shifts.

Yeah, with consoles doing as well as mobile there is no reason to abandon either, specially when their big guns are yet to come out

Double money is better than single money

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What were SE's FY 2014 titles? They didn't seem much though.

Red Mage

As long as they're ports of older games or decent ones like FF:RK or Dimensions, I don't mind the Mobile. I doubt SE is going to stop making console games altogether.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What were SE's FY 2014 titles? They didn't seem much though.

They had strong catalog sales that drove a lot of the performance (as in games released March 2014 or earlier but were still selling), but the new releases were Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Nosgoth, Heroes & Generals, Final Fantasy Explorers, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, and Life Is Strange.

You'll notice there are two PC f2p titles in there, which when they're not browser based, are bundled into "HD Games".

I could have missed some titles.

Arkeband

Banned
I truly believe that when FFXV and KH3 come out (hopefully we'll also have DQXI on the horizon), Square Enix will have essentially weathered the storm and be back on top.

If they have to pump out a bunch of mobile games I'll never play so that their console releases can be released in a timely and presentable fashion, I'm fine with that.

GaussTek

Wait, why does it says:

FFXI
Preparing deployment for smart devices.

at the lower right part of the second slide graphic?

Is that one coming to smartphones too or what does that mean?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, why does it says:

FFXI
Preparing deployment for smart devices.

at the lower right part of the second slide graphic?

Is that one coming to smartphones too or what does that mean?
Correct, as made by Nexon.

Oh, I imagined the MMO revenue was from subscriptions and not the retail sales
Yeah their divisions are not always entirely obvious.

Basically anything that makes revenue related to the MMOs is the MMO category, anything that's a mobile game or browser title is mobile/browser, and everything else is "HD games" no matter how not HD it is and even if it's f2p.

DQHeroes, Type 0, ARR, Sleeping Dogs DE, TR DE, Temple of Osiris, there's other stuff I don't remember

thats like 4 million in retail sales altogether?
In the next 2-3 years they have FFXV, KH3, Dissidia, Deus Ex, TR, DQ11, DQH2, some HD remakes like FF12 HD, Star Ocean 5, SaGa etc all coming up.

If anything I'd say SE has invested more into PS4 than they did with the PS360.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
thats like 4 million in retail sales altogether?
In the next 2-3 years they have FFXV, KH3, Dissidia, Deus Ex, TR, DQ11, DQH2, some HD remakes like FF12 HD, Star Ocean 5, SaGa etc all coming up.

If anything I'd say SE has invested more into PS4 than they did with the PS360.

No there's this total:

Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Nosgoth, Heroes & Generals, Final Fantasy Explorers, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, and Life Is Strange

Yeah, Square Enix is a publisher that clearly chose diversification over transition. It's paying off very well. Namco tried to approach more-so as well.

Other companies who instead decided to wind down a lot of traditional publishing (Capcom, Konami, Sega) were more so unable and/or unwilling to compete, hence the heavy resource shifts.

Which is the right way to go , you don't put all your eggs in one basket .

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I really wish they break down the net profit between mobile, console, and mmo. Just the revenue break down tell us nothing.

This is just my wishful thinking, but there is a chance that SE spent craploads of money in marketing to build a mobile franchise (and compete against every other mobile game). The profit for mobile might not be as amazing as it looks. If mobile profit ratio is a lot better than console games, we would see SE bragging about it in the financial.

Top Bottom