• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's FY15: $368 million mobile, $369 console/hand/PC, $194 MMO, profit +49%

Ugh, two aspects of gaming I have no interest in.

No wonder I haven't played a SE game in 3 years.

remember when these guys actually made the best games in the world and their fans loved them? Remember when SQUARE ENIX came about and we thought we would get access to games like Illusion of Time and Terranigma?

fuck.

These games are actually the real money makers for SE. FFXV, KH3, and many other future SE games won't probably exist if they didn't resort to mobile and mmo games. Console games just don't cut it anymore to bring profit to SE, so they're resorting to other means of money making products.

Perhaps each one of us should've bought a couple or more for each of their 'real' game so they won't need to fund their games from mobile and mmo games?
If they see that 'real' games making money just fine, they wouldn't need to make mobile and mmo games anymore, right?
We should be grateful that they're still making 'real' games despite the huge success of mobile and mmos.

The results are fine. Better than 2010 in terms of Net Income (without doing a conversion to dollars). Not completely sure but it seems to be their biggest year since 2007 (again talking about actual profit).

Still, it's strange to see no mention of DQH, Type-0 HD or even Life is Strange.

Also, their cash went down, but they have a lot more in production.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would say that they do this because of ideas and values, not numbers: console games are their legacy. The people that work there remember and value that legacy. They have the pride to not give consoles/PCs up to the Western Eidos side. It's ideology (an ideology that GAF could appreciate).

Because if they just looked at the numbers and made decisions based on that? They might just cut and run from console development altogether. It's what many other Japanese giants are doing now....

That might be true, but it could also just be that they don't have anything else to diversify into. What if mobile gaming turns out to be a fad that busts in the next few years? Konami can just continue its gambling business, but what could Square Enix do?

That's not predicting a mobile game bust, but you still risk a lot to move a company as big as SE fully into a market that's only 5 years old. It could even stay a hugely growing market, while SE fails to keep up with the moving trends thanks to their lack of history in that market.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What does this mean exactly? They had a roadmap and they followed it. Also what other MMO recovered like FFXIV did?

What other MMO had the mandate to support a multinational corporation like FFXIV did? It was "too big to fail" in the 2008 parlance of big banks in the recession.

I actually almost mentioned that in my post... I think the amount of TLC that XIV received would have saved any number of MMOs. They threw resources at it until it was good. I'm not impressed by that.

I'm not want to heap praise onto XIV's turnaround because it completely soaked up the resources of Square Enix and it came at a huge cost.

That might be true, but it could also just be that they don't have anything else to diversify into. What if mobile gaming turns out to be a fad that busts in the next few years? Konami can just continue its gambling business, but what could Square Enix do?

That's not predicting a mobile game bust, but you still risk a lot to move a company as big as SE fully into a market that's only 5 years old.

That's a good point, actually.

The dynamic of "what will sell in the future" is inherently personality-driven, not by numbers on the page. The numbers on the page tell you what sells now (or sold in the last quarter)... "what sells in the future" is always a human guess...

I'm so glad the West is still a console/PC area.
Imagine we shift towards mobile too... My gaming days would be over.

For the record, I have nothing against mobile, it can have its own market. But I really don't like the business model of it. Alot of vaporware, shallow gameplay, microtransactions, ...

patapuf

For the record, I have nothing against mobile, it can have its own market. But I really don't like the business model of it. Alot of vaporware, shallow gameplay, microtransactions, ...

Eh... mobile is huge in the west as well and still growing.

It's just that people like their consoles as well while it seems the japanese interest in them decreased by a lot, that's not an entirely new phenomenon either, before mobile it was handhelds that were the big spotlight.

Eh... mobile is huge in the west as well and still growing.

It's just that people like their consoles as well while it seems the japanese interest in them decreased by a lot, that's not an entirely new phenomenon either, before mobile it was handhelds that were the big spotlight.

I know, that's why I said that I don't have issues with mobile either. It's like TV and radio, they both have their own market.

As long as consoles/PC stays relevant, I'm a happy gamer.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Agreed completely. A world where mobile exists alongside full console experiences is the ideal.

The fact that some markets have gone entirely mobile-focused is a bit sad. I don't think people changed, so much as mobile became the largest market of easy money. It made the non-AAA console market into a smaller niche, that didn't so much not want it, as it was they were 'cut off' when they became the lesser target segment.

The course correction is recognizing the (very large) market of discerning console gamers, and learning how the industry can adjust to cater to them.

I don't need the people who make Tranformers movies to make indie movies, for example. I want a very healthy smaller/indie movement that lives alongside the mega-productions. That can and will happen. I think we've seen the further development of it today, through projects like Bloodstained.

kmax

Not surprised. Fortunately for us, Square still is an important player in the traditional gaming industry, in comparison to their Japanese counterparts.

As far as Mobile is concerned, it's going to continue its ascension as it's becoming more lucrative for publishers and is overall more convenient for the Japanese market.

These games are actually the real money makers for SE. FFXV, KH3, and many other future SE games won't probably exist if they didn't resort to mobile and mmo games. Console games just don't cut it anymore to bring profit to SE, so they're resorting to other means of money making products.

Perhaps each one of us should've bought a couple or more for each of their 'real' game so they won't need to fund their games from mobile and mmo games?
If they see that 'real' games making money just fine, they wouldn't need to make mobile and mmo games anymore, right?
We should be grateful that they're still making 'real' games despite the huge success of mobile and mmos.

How do they know this tho? When did they ever release anything we actually wanted?

Secret of Mana 1 + 2
Chronotrigger
Illusion of Time
Terranigma

Damn...just release those as remasters...not a huge resource drain by any means. Instead, they release FF 13/2/Lightning - seriously?

Mokubba

Good for them. Money coming in means more games.
As long as they don't abandon console games, it means the money is being put to good use.

None, what happened with FFXIV is basically the first true turnaround of a failed MMO in the short history of the genre.

Isn't FF14 the only successful revival of a failed MMO to date? I can't think of any other MMOs that had such a terrible launch and then had a massive facelift that actually saved the game.

As long as this finances my retail single player console games, I'm fine with it. Not sure this is a sustainable status quo though.

Mobile only SE is the...

tumblr_inline_najaea1Nhb1rnuijn.gif
I mean, they've been close enough to it for a long while now.

Congrat to them. FFXIV is absolutely amazing. With 2 MMO constantly generating revenues they should have enough cash to bring back more traditional console games.

i actually envy that optimism.

more like when 2 mmo's or cheap mobile games generate more revenue than multiple console games combined why bother with expensive console games anymore?

Rising_Hei

i actually envy that optimism.

more like when 2 mmo's or cheap mobile games generate more revenue than multiple console games combined why bother with expensive console games anymore?

They haven't released any big AAA console game in last fiscal year.... just rehashes, HD ports or less expensive games, so it's not fair to compare

It should be done when KH3 & FFXV get released

Asd202

They haven't released any big AAA console game in last fiscal year.... just rehashes, HD ports or less expensive games, so it's not fair to compare

It should be done when KH3 & FFXV get released

Yeah and if those games underperform I can see SE getting out of AAA games. Well at least the Japanese branch.

Kanann

I'm glad they plan to make more mid-budget titles on console sometime ago
but seeing how their profitable field is, I really doubt that plan now

Grieves

If Square Enix are going to continue with mobile, I wish they would support Windows Phones.

I'd love to see what all the fuss about Record Keeper is all about.

Yeah, I'm assuming SE will be dead to me after FFXV and KH3.

Where is this hyperbole coming from? They have tons of huge AAA games coming

Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Just Cause 3, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Star Ocean 5. They almost certainly are developing a new Dragon Quest game, and probably a Hitman game.

They arent going to just stop unless all of those (good looking) games just completely flop. (highly unlikely).

*edit* just saw you said dead to "me" i thought you just said "Dead" period. my bad.

FF 14 is such a great game, it deserves every cent it earns!

To think when this game launched first it was a failure, now look at it

fester

Banned
FF:RK is a fun, nostalgic distraction, but not much substance. And I'm not about to spend any money on it. Seems I'm an exception to this. :(

Akzel

I'm not surprised with the price they sell games on mobile. Good for you SE but no thanks I'll stay away from your games on mobile :)

All Japanese companies will ditch consoles soon

If anything it seems like Japanese companies are going back to consoles after realizing that mobile isn't a sure thing.

Also keep in mind that most of Squeenix's mobile games (most of their more successful ones, I'd guess) are spinoffs or ports of their console franchises and the main audience for them is probably current and former consumers of their console franchises. They're eventually going to run out of old games to port, so that revenue stream will dry up, and spoinoffs require something to spin off of to work. It will probably remain their biggest revenue stream for a while, but I don't think abandoning consoles would be the best long-term strategy, and they don't seem to think so either, considering that they greenlit SO5.

TheTux

Looks like they've started including digital sales in their sales stats.

Edit:
BTW they basically confirmed what we already knew: no FFXV soon.

Top Bottom