• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's FY15: $368 million mobile, $369 console/hand/PC, $194 MMO, profit +49%

Goli

If anything it seems like Japanese companies are going back to consoles after realizing that mobile isn't a sure thing.

Also keep in mind that most of Squeenix's mobile games (most of their more successful ones, I'd guess) are spinoffs or ports of their console franchises and the main audience for them is probably current and former consumers of their console franchises. They're eventually going to run out of old games to port, so that revenue stream will dry up, and spoinoffs require something to spin off of to work. It will probably remain their biggest revenue stream for a while, but I don't think abandoning consoles would be the best long-term strategy, and they don't seem to think so either, considering that they greenlit SO5.

Schoolgirl Strikers and Kai-ri-sei Million Arthur aren't based off older IPs and they're a lot more successful than some of their mobile games based on them, like Rise of Mana or FF Agito.

Koozek

Didn't Matsuda, SE's president, make it clear that he still values AAA games, as they're part of their company's DNA and are needed to maintain the brand's image as a successful, industry-leading franchise, or something along these lines.

Oh, I found at least part of what I remembered:
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2014_01en.pdf
1) Revisiting Long-term, Large-scale Development
HD (high definition) games are the Square Enix Group’s DNA
and a showcase for our creativity. HD game development will
continue to be an integral part of our businesses. However,
as I mentioned in last year’s annual report, there are serious
structural flaws in the disc sales model that defines the
current HD game business, and the question of how to deal
with the issue is a significant managerial challenge. One
major approach we are currently taking is to apply variable
pricing models, such as F2P (free to play) games, to the HD
games area. We are already introducing such models and
have achieved success in several cases. [...]

The idea that the MMOs are the real story here is nuts, I think. The MMOs are evidently doing well, but based on the reports in their six-month release before, it's probably fair to say they're doing well but not barnstorming, the vast majority coming from mobile, which is the real story. With Record Keeper in particular they're finally hitting their groove there and managing to make money without it being disgusting All the Bravest gouging - I look forward to seeing that continue.

(And the inevitable iOS/Android release of that PC port of FF7)

This doesn't mean AAA console games are going to go away, obviously, but I think it does mean they might well shift from being the #1 money maker of the business to legacy-defining projects and the like. I think they'll also try hard to apply monetization methods learned in the mobile space to console games. I could see them doing an episodic traditional console RPG, or a free micro transaction driven one, for instance.

SeanTSC

Hey, since it's letting me get Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and probably Dragon Quest 11 all on Consoles/PC - good for them!

They may be making a lot on mobile, but they're also clearly doubling down on their AAA IPs again.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't even know who these people playing these games on mobile are.. I Just bought a Samsung S6 Edge, a fantastic 1000 dollar phone here in Norway, but playing a rpg on it..? Nope, not going to happen.. I just don't get the appeal.

QaaQer

I don't even know who these people playing these games on mobile is.. I Just bought a Samsung S6 Edge, a fantastic 1000 dollar phone here in Norway, but playing a rpg on it..? Nope, not going to happen.. I just don't get the appeal.

What else are you going to do on public transport? Read?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What else are you going to do on public transport? Read?

To be truthful, I and most people I know have gotten very big on podcasts and audio-books in recent years. Great things whether you are a passenger or actually driving.

The key thing I suspect is that given how much attention mobile-gaming involves, it really comes down to how much space the rest of your life allows for it. As in, how often are you texting, sending/reading emails and social media, and the sort of time-blocks you have to give your attention over to looking at a small screen.

This sort of contention is for me the biggest reason why mobile gaming really isn't a great path to take for the industry - it seems to me that it forces products into very specific keyholes (in terms of user expectation) in order to be successful.

Mobile gon give it to ya

My prediction is final fantasy XV is the last final fantasy......... For consoles

The rest will debut first on mobile then maybe om console or duel release

The key thing I suspect is that given how much attention mobile-gaming involves, it really comes down to how much space the rest of your life allows for it. As in, how often are you texting, sending/reading emails and social media, and the sort of time-blocks you have to give your attention over to looking at a small screen.

This sort of contention is for me the biggest reason why mobile gaming really isn't a great path to take for the industry - it seems to me that it forces products into very specific keyholes (in terms of user expectation) in order to be successful.

The really interesting thing about mobile gaming is how much it is a return to "gamings roots" in focussing on "short-form" gaming experiences that are designed to be pick up and play and highly repeatable, right down to using the old "insert 10p to continue" monetisation methods first popularised in arcades.

Whether mobile gaming can - as videogaming in general did historically with the transition from Arcade ("Short form") -> Console ("long form") type experiences for the majority of people is what we're seeing the industry right now flailing around with to see what sticks.

QaaQer

To be truthful, I and most people I know have gotten very big on podcasts and audio-books in recent years. Great things whether you are a passenger or actually driving.

I'm one of those! The audio edition of The Economist @ 2x pitch corrected speed is my go-to. Fukyama's Origins of Political Power is also great, albeit kinda disheartening when you come to realize how much we resemble Chippanzees, a bit of a blow to my ego.

daveo42

Banned
Mobile is the future, at least in Japan. We'll still get a few bigger budget PC and console games from them as they are still relevant outside of Japan, but seeing them continuing the shift to mobile is unsurprising.

Still pretty sweet to see FFXIV doing so well.

oni_saru

If they keep making good mobile games like FFRK, then shieeettt i welcome the SE mobile revolution :p

Seriously though, FFRK is super addicting. It's all I've been playing since it launched.

Opiate

If anything it seems like Japanese companies are going back to consoles after realizing that mobile isn't a sure thing.

What are you basing that on?

Konami all but openly exiting the console gaming industry? These results from Square Enix, where not a single retail console title is noted for its success? Level 5 announcing further movement towards mobile? Capcom's mobile push with things like Breath of Fire? Sega almost entirely abandoning everything but PC/mobile?

Chaos17

Kingdom Hearts Unchained X[chi] Announced For Smartphones
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/1...nnounced-for-smartphones/#dOBierRS6SdHw0bZ.99

kingdom_heartsx_thumb.jpg

OsirisBlack

Banned
Wow looking at that chart and seeing FFXI still represented in their financial report pretty damn amazing for an almost 13 year old MMO.

Also yes XIV is the only case in MMO history where the game was completely redone successfully.

SeanTSC

What are you basing that on?

Konami all but openly exiting the console gaming industry? These results from Square Enix, where not a single retail console title is noted for its success? Level 5 announcing further movement towards mobile? Capcom's mobile push with things like Breath of Fire? Sega almost entirely abandoning everything but PC/mobile?

I don't know what games you play from what companies, but from where I'm looking Japan has been having a big push with console games again this generation.

Square-Enix: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and probably Dragon Quest 11 all on Consoles/PC.
Capcom: Street Fighter V, Deep Down, Dragon's Dogma Online, etc are coming and they just released 2 Console/PC Resident Evil games and a new one is likely getting shown at E3.
Tecmo-Koei - Dynasty Warriors, Toukiden, + Gust's new PS4 Game just announced today
NIS - Disgaea 5 on PS4
Atlus (Sega) - Persona 5 on PS4
Compile Heart/IF - Omega Quintet just released + Neptunia V II in the works for PS4
Nihon Falcom - new Ys for PS4
Level 5 - supposedly announcing a new PS4 game at E3 this year
Bandai Namco - Tales of Zesitira getting a PS4 port is the worst kept secret ever plus they said the next tales game will be on the PS4. Plus their fighting game IPs like Naruto, Jojo, Dragon Ball, etc all have PS4 versions out or coming out.

Yeah, Konami's probably gone after MGSV, but Japanese developers are hardly dumping consoles in droves. If anything there's been a big resurgence with all the announcements lately. Plus they're now taking to kickstarter and the new Igavania is PC/PS4/XB1 and I'm sure he won't be the last to go that route.

We're probably going to see quite a few Japanese console/PC games at E3 this year too.

Felessan

Is it? It seems tiny compared to the numbers from EA, King, Activ, etc.
ATVI is about 4 times larger, not particular what you call tiny. SE is around the same size as Ubi

The idea that the MMOs are the real story here is nuts, I think. The MMOs are evidently doing well, but based on the reports in their six-month release before, it's probably fair to say they're doing well but not barnstorming, the vast majority coming from mobile, which is the real story.
At current moment mobile is 2x of MMO and both of them around 2/3 of total revenue of gaming division. Mobile just grow much faster - year ago mobile games were just slightly bigger than MMO part.

Opiate

I don't know what games you play from what companies, but from where I'm looking Japan has been having a big push with console games again this generation.

Square-Enix: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and probably Dragon Quest 11 all on Consoles/PC.

First, a lot of these are Eidos; technically part of Square, now, but we're talking about Japanese publishers here. Second, I don't see how this in any way represents an increase from last generation.

Capcom: Street Fighter V, Deep Down, Dragon's Dogma Online, etc are coming and they just released 2 Console/PC Resident Evil games and a new one is likely getting shown at E3.

You listed 5 games. You think this represents strong support? We must be expecting different things. Just a decade ago, Capcom released 22 console games in one year alone.

NIS - Disgaea 5 on PS4

A small publisher producing one game.

Atlus (Sega) - Persona 5 on PS4

Again, we seem to be coming from completely different viewpoints here. Sega -- Sega! -- has announced a single game for consoles right now, and this represents strong support to you? By the time Persona 5 arrives, the PS4 will be ~2 years old. I can name a host of Sega games release on PS3/360 off the top of my head in the first two years of last generation: Sonic (PS3/360), Sonic and the Secret Rings, Condemned, Full Auto, Virtua Fighter 5, Sega Rally.

And again, that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. If your point is that consoles have not been completely and totally abandoned, I agree. But relative to historical output, even as recently as last generation, this is a stark decrease.

Z3M0G

I don't even know who these people playing these games on mobile are.. I Just bought a Samsung S6 Edge, a fantastic 1000 dollar phone here in Norway, but playing a rpg on it..? Nope, not going to happen.. I just don't get the appeal.

Do you play handhelds? Vita/3DS?

SeanTSC

And again, that's just off the top of my head! I'm sure there are more. I mean, if your point is that consoles have not been completely and totally abandoned, I agree. But relative to historical output, even as recently as last generation, this is a stark decrease.

My point is that Japanese console development is still strong and there's been a lot of announcements recently and will likely be quite a few more in just one month at E3. Maybe there's not a million titles out there, but there's still a fairly good amount of them and quite a few coming and Japan has started to make a positive shift towards them lately.

As for Sega well, oh well? Yeah, we have different viewpoints there. I'll take them continuing one great title from a strong developer they acquired over getting more junk from them. The last Sega title I bought was Sonic Unleashed and the last time they impressed me was Valkyria Chronicles.

Plus, quantity doesn't equal quality. Especially with Capcom and Sega. They aren't releasing a huge glut of shovelware on consoles anymore, great.

Opiate

My point is that Japanese console development is still strong and there's been a lot of announcements recently and will likely be quite a few more in just one month at E3. Maybe there's not a million titles out there, but there's still a fairly good amount of them and quite a few coming and Japan has started to make a positive shift towards them lately.

As for Sega well, oh well? Yeah, we have different viewpoints there. I'll take them continuing one great title from a strong developer they acquired over getting more junk from them. The last Sega title I bought was Sonic Unleashed and the last time they impressed me was Valkyria Chronicles.

A "shift" would suggest that support is increasing. Increasing relative to what? Last generation? The PS2 generation?

I think the best you could say is that the Vita's almost complete failure has meant that at least a few games which had been going to PSP are going to PS4 instead.

Rising_Hei

SE are gil buyers confirmed

I know that paying for a carry doesn't mean for sure someone is a gil buyer

Humans gotta be pretty stupid to buy any kind of ingame currency from RMT, even more if it's FFXIV lol

I was making around 10m daily before i stopped the madness of getting rich

As for SE, the only thing that's changed is that their lesser games end up on mobile and not on handheld consoles :/

dramatis

Its not a 'top tier' like a mainline FF is, but a Musou type game based on DQ was pretty clearly a title expected to do well in the Japanese market.
I don't think it should be considered less of an AAA title than something like Hyrule warriors is.
"AAA" refers to the budget of the game, not the quality.

Magnus

XIV's turnaround is wild. Good on them. As someone who's been more a fan of their console releases (including some great remasters) than their mobile efforts, I'm hopeful more is coming after FFXV, KH3 and the new Star Ocean.

SeanTSC

A "shift" would suggest that support is increasing. Increasing relative to what? Last generation? The PS2 generation?

I think the best you could say is that the Vita's almost complete failure has meant that at least a few games which had been going to PSP are going to PS4 instead.

I guess it depends on what games you care about. For me, I'm getting more and more games. I'm getting Deus Ex, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry, Igavania, Persona, Disgaea, Ys, Tales, Atelier, Neptunia, and all the various other niche JRPGs I love still. And I haven't lost anything except.. Breath of Fire, which was dead long before mobile anyways, and probably Metal Gear after V? Though we'll probably still get Metal Gear Rising 2. Though I doubt Metal Gear will be going to mobile full on.

I guess it sucks if you've lost some Japanese series you care about to mobile, but man, I haven't really lost anything to it. I buy an average of 4 new retail games per month over the course of the year and I'm not feeling the hit. What notable Japanese series are going there and abandoning consoles? Sonic?

Man MMO companies should take a look at what square did with ff14. And how they turned that game around. Square deserves every penny they get from ffxiv.

Opiate

I guess it depends on what games you care about. For me, I'm getting more and more games. I'm getting Deus Ex, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry, Igavania, Persona, Disgaea, Ys, Tales, Atelier, Neptunia, and all the various other niche JRPGs I love still. And I haven't lost anything except.. Breath of Fire, which was dead long before mobile anyways, and probably Metal Gear after V? Though we'll probably still get Metal Gear Rising 2. Though I doubt Metal Gear will be going to mobile full on.

I guess it sucks if you've lost some Japanese series you care about to mobile, but man, I haven't really lost anything to it. I buy an average of 4 new retail games per month over the course of the year and I'm not feeling the hit. What notable Japanese series are going there and abandoning consoles? Sonic?

Please note we're not just talking about series that moved to mobile explicitly, but are just gone generally, for whatever reason. Mega Man has all but evaporated, Suikoden is gone, Dino Crisis is gone, Virtua Fighter is gone, Super Monkey Ball is gone, Breath of Fire, as noted, is gone, Onimusha is gone, Devil May Cry is nowhere to be found -- again, just off the top of my head.

It sounds like you are just looking at this from your perspective -- I think you're defining "notable series" as "things I happen to personally care about." I don't really care about your personal preferences (nor do I care about mine, to be clear), I'm only looking at the big picture: there are fewer games being made on consoles than in the past by a significant margin in Japan. What you personally believe is "junk" would be good to someone else, which is probably why the consoles are selling so terribly in Japan: that "junk" matters to a lot of people.

Yeah, having FFXIV rebooted was probably for the money makings. I'm sure they'll make up for the loses.

*resubs*

Seriously, though. That game is my jam.

I wish they would make a Vita FF game, like they did with Crisis Core on PSP.
Or just port FFI again.

No wonder they are keeping a solid support for both DQX and FFXIV. The start for both was slow, especially FFXIV, but now they are ripe for the picking. And they are doing a pretty good job earning from their mobile games, even though some of their earlier releases were questionable in quality lol.

Sad that no mention of any video game sales and profit in their positive financial report. Looks to be a non-factor in their financials, or they just didn't bother putting them lol.

Care to elaborate? I have the impression that DQX was a big success right from the start. And it still is, the latest expansion pack just sold 200k at retail at launch.

SeanTSC

Please note we're not just talking about series that moved to mobile explicitly, but are just gone generally, for whatever reason. Mega Man has all but evaporated, Suikoden is gone, Dino Crisis is gone, Virtua Fighter is gone, Super Monkey Ball is gone, Breath of Fire, as noted, is gone, Onimusha is gone, Devil May Cry is nowhere to be found -- again, just off the top of my head.

It sounds like you are just looking at this from your perspective -- I think you're defining "notable series" as "things I happen to personally care about." I don't really care about your personal preferences (nor do I care about mine, to be clear), I'm only looking at the big picture: there are fewer games being made on consoles than in the past by a significant margin in Japan. What you personally believe is "junk" would be good to someone else, which is probably why the consoles are selling so terribly in Japan: that "junk" matters to a lot of people.

You're right, from my perspective it's as great as ever and it can be difficult to see other's side of what games have gone where when they're not things you ever even think about. Just from my side - man, it's still fantastic. A lot has gone maybe, but a whole ton of it is still alive and healthy and there's going to be even more of it.

A lot of Sega's own IPs, some of Capcom, and most of Konami is gone - but on the other hand there's a ton of stuff still here from all of the other developers. A lot of those IPs, like Suikoden and Breath of Fire, also disappeared along with the PS2, long before Mobile. Konami, Sega, and part of Capcom are far from the majority of Japanese games and sometimes companies just change. I don't consider things that have been gone for a long, long time anyways a "casualty of mobile" or something.

And Devil May Cry is not nowhere to be seen. I'm confused by that comment. DmC:DE was just released and DMC4:SE is coming out very soon. I have no doubt that Capcom will be putting out another big DMC game on consoles.

Top Bottom