• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller trailer, $50

Jon Armdog

Man, I really wish I had preordered this thing when they were giving the pre-release ship dates. I'm 100% sure I want one now.

I've read a few people were thinking about canceling their preordered...I wish they could just transfer them to me or something!

Nzyme32

Even the ones that do support both at the same time usually change button prompts when you use one or the other.

Yeah I'm still really curious how they will work around this if at all (since I doubt there is anything they can do)

Man, I really wish I had preordered this thing when they were giving the pre-release ship dates. I'm 100% sure I want one now.

I've read a few people were thinking about canceling their preordered...I wish they could just transfer them to me or something!

On the plus side, I think you may end up having a better experience than the early adopters. It's going to take some time for the crowd-sourced bindings to really get rolling

Nerrel

MGSV GZ has problems with this. You can't use them simultaneously because the mouse pops up or gets locked out when you start to use the other

chris-farley-rage.gif

laxu

Ground Zeroes plays just fine with mouse aiming and analog movement on a Dualshock 4.

Just tried it. It doesn't at least when using DS4Windows. Mouse cursor just pops up when moving via controller and doesn't allow you to move viewpoint.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomasduda/status/636952676593500161

A bit of a discussion

edit: back at the desk

Interesting idea. I tried both games with a Steam Controller, I couldn't get used to it (see yesterday's rant)

@tomasduda I think Steam controllers default experience should improve significantly as devs roll out tweaked default profiles.

@tomasduda I've set one up for Cactus that makes it play 1000x better than any of the OK templates, it's really quite fun.

@SanatanaMishra AAC was actually the first game I've tried with the Steam Controller, one of the defaults (generic gamepad?) was weird

@tomasduda Give it a go with my community profile, when I get home I'm going to look in to the system for setting default developer profiles

@tomasduda Basically the default gamepad template doesn't take into account the large deadzone used to avoid aim drifting

@tomasduda So my profile is tweaked to use a circular deadzone that's much smaller, makes aiming significantly better/responsive.

wait. i thought it was a cut off date for the early preorder didn't know it was actually only in stock. i preordered july 12th but my order page shipping november 10th.

What? The vast, vast majority of games accept both mouse and joystick simultaneously. In fact, i have NEVER encountered a game that does not.

I'm talking about xinput analog stick input, are you talking about generic joystick or flight stick input? Because I have found very few games (like Road Redemption) that will actually accept xinput joystick input and mouse aim at the same time, usually a game is either in xinput mode or m/kb mode and using one will disable the other or at least temporarily lock it up while it switches which makes it unplayable.

Krejlooc

Banned
God I can't wait until tons of people have steam controllers and can comment on the touch pads. I've given my impressions in extreme detail over the last 2 years, I can't wait to hear everyone else's impressions.

Nerrel

God I can't wait until tons of people have steam controllers and can comment on the touch pads. I've given my impressions in extreme detail over the last 2 years, I can't wait to hear everyone else's impressions.

Thanks for that, by the way. It's a really exciting controller, but it's also pretty complicated and weird, so it's good to have some impressions before jumping in.

I hope there's a fix for the joystick issue, if it becomes a real problem. I've been really excited to play Phantom Pain with it, but it looks like it might require using some sort of custom keyboard and mouse scheme that would really limit Snake's mobility.

Couldn't you just use the Steam pad in its Xinput mode to mimic a 360 controller and still use the trackpads to replace the analog stick input without a problem? The right trackpad doesn't have to be recognized as a mouse, right? If so, I'm not sure why it would need to be split between mouse and joystick anyway.

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks for that, by the way. It's a really exciting controller, but it's also pretty complicated and weird, so it's good to have some impressions before jumping in.

I hope there's a fix for the joystick issue, if it becomes a real problem. I've been really excited to play Phantom Pain with it, but it looks like it might require using some sort of custom keyboard and mouse scheme that would really limit Snake's mobility.

Couldn't you just use the Steam pad in its Xinput mode to mimic a 360 controller and still use the trackpads to replace the analog stick input without a problem? The right trackpad doesn't have to be recognized as a mouse, right? If so, I'm not sure why it would need to be split between mouse and joystick anyway.

No you can use the right pad as a second analog stick. It just doesn't feel very much like an analog stick, and you get none of the benefits that the controller brings to the table.

viveks86

What? The vast, vast majority of games accept both mouse and joystick simultaneously. In fact, i have NEVER encountered a game that does not.

I'm talking about xinput analog stick input, are you talking about generic joystick or flight stick input? Because I have found very few games (like Road Redemption) that will actually accept xinput joystick input and mouse aim at the same time, usually a game is either in xinput mode or m/kb mode and using one will disable the other or at least temporarily lock it up while it switches which makes it unplayable.

grandwizard is right. I just tested this on a random set of games and it does seem like it's going to depend on the game. And it doesn't look pretty.

The Talos Principle - Pass
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Pass
The Witcher 3 - Pass
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Fail
Metal Gear Solid V: GZ - Fail
Batman Arkham Knight - Fail
Alien Isolation - Fail

Damn. This could really become an issue for legacy games and console ports. I'm assuming newer games will fully support the controller after it's out, but a big part of the controller's value proposition is legacy support. It's pretty misleading that they demonstrated this in the trailer while many games out there won't support it out of the box :/

Shaneus

Damn. This could really become an issue for legacy games and console ports. I'm assuming newer games will fully support the controller after it's out, but a big part of the controller's value proposition is legacy support. It's pretty misleading that they demonstrated this in the trailer while many games out there won't support it out of the box :/
Worst case, create a controller profile that completely disables one set of those controls (talking buttons and joystick here). Only issue would be if it recognises triggers as a part of the controller but the pads as KB&M.

viveks86

Worst case, create a controller profile that completely disables one set of those controls (talking buttons and joystick here). Only issue would be if it recognises triggers as a part of the controller but the pads as KB&M.

Any analog input will be considered as analog Xinput. So the triggers will have to be configured as digital too :/

EDIT:

Just tested it. Mouse stops working as it should while using any analog stick or triggers. Works fine while pressing shoulder/face buttons. Pretty bummed about this atm

Shaneus

Any analog input will be considered as analog Xinput. So the triggers will have to be configured as digital too :/

EDIT:

Just tested it. Mouse stops working as it should while using any analog stick or triggers. Works fine while pressing shoulder/face buttons. Pretty bummed about this atm
Oh shit. Yeah, that can't be great at all. Thought that steering in driving games could be really good with those pads, but it seems maybe not. Perhaps there'll be some way to emulate Xinput joysticks with each pad. Don't see why not.

viveks86

Oh shit. Yeah, that can't be great at all. Thought that steering in driving games could be really good with those pads, but it seems maybe not. Perhaps there'll be some way to emulate Xinput joysticks with each pad. Don't see why not.

You most certainly can. That's not the issue. The issue is you can't have a combination of analog xinput and mouse at the same time for many games. The wticher 3 segment in the trailer won't work for all games.

How different are the pads from the previous round of prototypes? I was pretty impressed with those from a mouse perspective but not particularly as a button replacement.

Shaneus

I could see this being fantastic for HTPCs. My only wish (as unlikely as it is to happen) would be if there was a way to alternate between controlling two different devices with the one pad. Even if I bought a separate dongle, if I could switch between my HTPC and gaming PC without needing a second pad, it'd be sweet.

Unless someone could blow my mind and say this is possible?

grandwizard is right. I just tested this on a random set of games and it does seem like it's going to depend on the game. And it doesn't look pretty.

The Talos Principle - Pass
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Pass
The Witcher 3 - Pass
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Fail
Metal Gear Solid V: GZ - Fail
Batman Arkham Knight - Fail
Alien Isolation - Fail

Where did they demonstrate it in the trailer? If you mean them using the stick for movement, that was likely emulating WASD (+ a modifier on a threshold for walk/run). This combined with mouselook on the right pad should be fine for directional movement, but yeah it's still not a true analog stick unless you want to give up the mouselook and go full xinput.

viveks86

Where did they demonstrate it in the trailer? If you mean them using the stick for movement, that was likely emulating WASD (+ a modifier on a threshold for walk/run). This combined with mouselook on the right pad should be fine for directional movement, but yeah it's still not a true analog stick unless you want to give up the mouselook and go full xinput.

Watch the trailer again :)

oQjT8hb.png

Notice how the joystick is mapped to "joystick move" and the right pad says "mouse"? That's the standard gamepad + mouse template. That isn't WASD emulation.

Also, this actually works for witcher 3. It just doesn't work for many other games I listed. The problem isn't at the firmware/driver level. It just seems many games don't implement gamepad support in a way that allows simultaneous mouse usage. A fixable issue, but obviously will not apply to legacy games.

Crayon

Also, this actually works for witcher 3. It just doesn't work for many other games I listed. The problem isn't at the firmware/driver level. It just seems many games don't implemented gamepad support in a way that supports simultaneous mouse usage.

I dont think its that big of a deal. Some games lock it to one or the other for no particular reason. They just need to stop doing that or their games will have inferior controls. The existing games can likely be patched, not that they all will. Little growing pains.

viveks86

I dont think its that big of a deal. Some games lock it to one or the other for no particular reason. They just need to stop doing that or their games will have inferior controls. The existing games can likely be patched, not that they all will. Little growing pains.

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem for games going forward (I hope). But if anyone were planning to play older first/third person games the ideal way, they are outta luck.

Watch the trailer again :)

oQjT8hb.png

Notice how the joystick is mapped to "joystick move" and the right pad says "mouse"? That's the standard gamepad + mouse template. That isn't WASD emulation.

Also, this actually works for witcher 3. It just doesn't work for many other games I listed. The problem isn't at the firmware/driver level. It just seems many games don't implement gamepad support in a way that allows simultaneous mouse usage. A fixable issue, but obviously will not apply to legacy games.

I see. I guess if they were demo'ing TW3 and it works there it's accurate. But yeah in general I think wasd emulation will be used because xinput and m/kb input don't play nice in a lot of games.

daninthemix

It's a shame I need to drop 40 bones on this without being able to test it. Will definitely be reading Gaffer impressions with interest when it hits.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
I wish I had a chance to try it in the games I was actually going to play with it.

I got a chance to play with it at PAX East, but I only got the chance to demo Towerfall and Counter-Strike with it. I kind of wanted to try it for things like Civilization and Pillars of Eternity.

Paz

I think I'm allowed to demo with the Steam controller so if you are at PAX Prime and wanna rock by the Intel booth on Saturday I'll likely be there on one of their gaming machines showing off the steam controller and my game, unless I find out tomorrow that it's against the rules or something.

dsk1210

I think I'm allowed to demo with the Steam controller so if you are at PAX Prime and wanna rock by the Intel booth on Saturday I'll likely be there on one of their gaming machines showing off the steam controller and my game, unless I find out tomorrow that it's against the rules or something.

I would imagine that will be fine, Valve have not really had an NDA on the Steam Box's and controllers.

Baleoce

Anyone who's been testing this behind the scenes, what's the build quality like now with this final build? Also, any reports on battery life?

So with Valve now giving away a rocket league code with steam link and controller orders, does anyone know if I'll get my 2 codes if I ordered through a different retailer (game uk)?

Based on a post above, earlier preorders through steam are getting the game!

hitgirl

Three years ago I played Burnout Paradise on the first version of the steam controller. It was an early early model and that was enough for me to pre order it.

Nzyme32

So with Valve now giving away a rocket league code with steam link and controller orders, does anyone know if I'll get my 2 codes if I ordered through a different retailer (game uk)?

Based on a post above, earlier preorders through steam are getting the game!

It says on the store update page announcement - you'll get it with the hardware if you went with retail // Through Steam inventory if you bought it on Steam

It says on the store update page announcement - you'll get it with the hardware if you went with retail // Through Steam inventory if you bought it on Steam
Ah didn't see that, thanks. Nice little bonus as I was gonna get the game anyway. Shame it won't be until November but at least the game is so popular it will still have a big online community by then.

I had no idea this was happening, and wondered how on earth I unlocked Portal 2 when playing Assetto Corsa. I didn't get a popup/message for Rocket League, but it did get put into my library however. I was planning on double dipping on it, so sweet.

Top Bottom