• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain E3 2015 Gameplay Demonstration Impressions

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Big thanks to Risev!

Aight, right here:

Hello everyone. So I've had the opportunity to attend E3 this year and have seen the gameplay demonstration that was presented today by Sean Eyestone at the Konami booth. Here is what happened in the presentation:

The presentation started with Sean Eyestone confirming Micro-transactions, while reassuring everyone that they are only there for those who don't have a lot of time and won't affect the game in any negative way. Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

The gameplay starts in the air command center (helicopter menu screen). Here, they showed the photos on the walls, confirming that they are indeed moments that you can capture and put attach inside the chopper.

Here, we are shown Quiet sitting in front of us, and the various menu features that you can access in the chopper. Mostly the same as Ground Zeroes, except that now you can also fully customize your loadout from here, as well as choose your mission and where to land.

Customization options are simply awesome. You can of course customize Mother Base's color, custom emblems, and Snake himself, be it outfit, weapons, and buddies. You can also fully customize weapons, everything from scopes, barrels, under-barrels, colors, and various parts of the weapon itself.

There is a face option in the loadout section as well, although they didn't go into that. Might be face paint, masks, or who knows what. You can also choose to play as someone other than Snake, although they mostly have very average stats compared to Snake. Oh, and Diamond Dogs have female soldiers that you can play as as well.

Buddies can be selected here as well. Buddies shown are the four known so far, and each can be customized with a different outfit. For example, the default Quiet outfit we always see her in is called the naked camo, and you can change that if you don't want her to look like a bikini model.

They proceeded with Diamond Dog instead of Quiet for this demo. Then, instead of choosing a mission, they went with "Freerom" and just chose a drop location and time to go into the open sandbox of Afghanistan with no mission restrictions.

Dropped into a new section in Afghanistan. DD proceeded to follow in the D-Horse example and peed. Snake can pet DD if he wants.

After that, the player selected a mission from i-Driod, it was episode 3, "A Hero's Way" I believe it was called. The mission, however, does not start immediately. Instead, the player is given three different mission-start locations on the map where the player has to go to start the mission.

Before doing that, the player noticed a side-op nearby, Side-ops are just points of interest in the map where the player can go to and do either in freerom or in main missions. This one involved the extraction of a Russian translator.

The player, who chose to land here with a vehicle beforehand, rode there alongside DD. The location was a crumbling building with Russian soldiers nearby. The player attempted to interrogate one of the guards but could not understand anything.

DD automatically detects enemies and the like. Can be ordered to attack enemies and to wait. The player makes his way inside, kicking ass, and extracting the translator, allowing interrogation of Russian soldiers. The player also rescued a female soldier in the location and fultoned her back to base.

After that, player started to proceed to the mission area. Sprinting alongside DD to the vehicle and driving to one of the three mission-start locations. Arriving at the mission-start location, the player found a machine or something which he proceeded to plug the iDroid into to download mission data. Doing so starts the mission, with the creators of the mission and the characters appearing in it having their names pop on the screen like a TV show. It does NOT interrupt gameplay, since you can continue playing as the names pop up on screen.

The mission had the player eliminating a Russian captain or commander in a Russian base. For this mission, the player extracted DD and brought in the D-Walker, which is seriously overpowered. It moves very fast (faster than the horse probably), has a lot of firepower, shields the player, and can even perform stealth take-downs. The D-Walker even has a funny robotic voice when Snake orders it to do stuff, like scouting the area for enemies for example.

Proceeding with the mission, Snake found that several soldiers are now carrying shields and wearing heavy armor to counter Snake's previous tactics. Boomboxes with tapes found, and a funny moment in which Snake encountered an enemy inflatable decoy inside a building happened, showing that even enemies can use these tactics.

Snake CQC'ed the target and Fultoned him. He, however, encountered an alert phase and called in the D-Walker to kick some serious ass. Really overpowered. Snake also took an anti-aircraft enemy weapon and called in the chopper for extraction. The chopper itself (driver was NOT Morpho) can fire missiles on enemies, kicking even more ass. Snake rode in the chopper, a gun turret infront of him, and blew up everything in place as he flew away.

Mission over, Snake attached a Kojima Productions emblem on his chest, and the demo was over.

Here are a bunch of pictures I took: from the game presentation, the Konami booth, and myself alongside Sean Eyestone and a bunch of amazingly great cosplayers:

http://imgur.com/a/ptUV3

I do apologize for the low quality of the photos, I didn't have the luxary of taking my time with them.

Also, before the start of the presentation, they played a vocal version of the Quiet theme, which was frigging amazing. Also, I'm sure I've forgotten to mention a lot of stuff, so ask me anything if you want.

Here is a small part of Quiet's theme with vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4sZaPqXok

Rajang

Thank you for sharing this Risev.

This game is going to be insane.

"Mission over, Snake attached a Kojima Productions emblem on his chest, and the demo was over."

such a nice touch.

Sn4ke_911

D.....Does that mean what I think it means?

2015-06-1706_02_20-hr20xfq.png

Nah, nvm.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm crazy happy to see the Kojima Productions logo coming back, I bet there was a lot of cheers for that.

The new area in Afghanistan looks crazy big. I never really got much of a sense with scale given how the demos were in a rather condensed part of the map, but dude you'll have to drive for a while to get to the nearest landmark...

Sn4ke_911

So Quiet's theme is waaahhoooooaaaaaaaaaaa.

No it's confirmed in the E3 2013 trailer there are two songs. The waaahhoooooaaaaaaaaaaa one is at the end of the trailer and is sung by Donna Burke. The beginning is this one... idk but i'm pretty sure that is not Donna we hear here.

Still it's even more beautiful and powerful with vocals. Can't wait to hear the full song.

No it's confirmed in the E3 2013 trailer there are two songs. The waaahhoooooaaaaaaaaaaa one is at the end of the trailer and is sung by Donna Burke. The beginning is this one... idk but i'm pretty sure that is not Donna we hear here.

Still it's even more beautiful and powerful with vocals. Can't wait to hear the full song.

What if it's Stef da queen singing it?! O_O Oh, Lord.

Euron

I thought it was wooooooooaaaaaaaah-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And I seriously think I should just go dark for the game at this point. E3 trailer this year really showed a lot but I'm so pumped for it.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
The presentation started with Sean Eyestone confirming Micro-transactions, while reassuring everyone that they are only there for those who don't have a lot of time and won't affect the game in any negative way. Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

I have to say I am glad I have the option, especially with the little time I have for gaming these days.

Sn4ke_911

I'm crazy happy to see the Kojima Productions logo coming back, I bet there was a lot of cheers for that.

Yeah me too.

CHpcNLWVAAAyrfU.jpg

2015-06-1706_14_23-theoj34.png

Also seeing Jackie and Sean wearing Kojima Productions shirts was super awesome to see.

Giving Kojima and his team the respect they deserve.

2015-06-1706_15_42-mezkktn.png

big_boss_salute_by_reaper759-d4be3mf.png

Sn4ke_911

This person keeps calling the Walker "overpowered" without knowing anything about the rest of the game.

Yeah well you know a lot of stuff is "overpowered" for demonstrations.

Jinkies

Yeah well you know a lot of stuff is "overpowered" for demonstrations.

I take it as giving the character a later-game ability in an earlier area than they would normally have it.

Also, spoiler, but there are far more powerful enemies than Russian soldiers in the game.

sonicmj1

Before doing that, the player noticed a side-op nearby, Side-ops are just points of interest in the map where the player can go to and do either in freerom or in main missions. This one involved the extraction of a Russian translator.

The player, who chose to land here with a vehicle beforehand, rode there alongside DD. The location was a crumbling building with Russian soldiers nearby. The player attempted to interrogate one of the guards but could not understand anything.

In MGS3, Sokolov complimented Naked Snake on his excellent Russian.

Am I missing something?

In MGS3, Sokolov complimented Naked Snake on his excellent Russian.

Am I missing something?

Snake calls Mother Base for a supply box to be dropped at a specific location. The supply box misses its destination and, instead, lands on Snake. Snake is knocked unconscious. Once it hits the ground, the box opens up. The camera shifts, the player is shown what appear to be the legs of an unidentified man. The camera pans - zooms out, and Mr. Kojima appears. Hideo uses the Fulton Recovery System on Snake and sends him back to his Mother Base ("A Hideo Kojima Base," and yes, his name is plastered everywhere). Snake is injected with FOXSPEAK, which causes a significant regression in his linguistics. From this point on, Snake wakes up, in the middle of an Afghanistan village-- it is up to him to take back his superb Russian and bring down Kojima, because you know, it's open world, and he has time to put the whole Zero/fulfilling the Boss' will thing on hold.

Shrapnel. (We assume!)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
10495312_10153343655151465_4270269561955695330_o.jpg

11418928_10153343654681465_1412752562116506004_o.jpg

The static theme from pre-purchasing MGSV on PSN. I thought it would go good with the new footage. I wanted the theme and didn't think I could get it any other way.

paolo11

Is it 1080p 60fps like Ground Zeroes?

Man I cannot wait for this game. I pray the MGS V LE console will be available for US.

TheBear

The Giant Bomb dudes think the focus on story has taken a step back to the gameplay (presumably due to Konami shenanigans). does this seem to be accurate?

I love me some fucking crazy MGS cutscenes

So we can play with other soldiers in side-ops, but Snake is a must for story missions, I take it?
Never really toyed with this idea in PW, always chose Snake.

Risev1

The Giant Bomb dudes think the focus on story has taken a step back to the gameplay (presumably due to Konami shenanigans). does this seem to be accurate?

I love me some fucking crazy MGS cutscenes

The recent trailer suggests that the crazy MGS story is still fully here. Probably more spread out though since the game is a lot longer.

Top Bottom