• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Downgrade?

SliChillax

People should know that games are usually revealed on a high end PC and then they get downgraded to have an acceptable framerate for consoles. If you're looking for the highest fidelity get a high end PC, don't blame the devs. The devs should be clear about which version of the game they're showing though.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
People should know that games are usually revealed on a high end PC and then they get downgraded to have an acceptable framerate for consoles. If you're looking for the highest fidelity get a high end PC, don't blame the devs. The devs should be clear about which version of the game they're showing though.

More likely that they polished a specific set of assets for the initial reveal to a grade that they couldn't match for the rest of the game. More often than not these downgrades are just as visible on the PC versions as the consoles.

Gnilres

Just because it's not surprising doesn't mean it should be accepted...

But at least we're seeing it now rather than finding out after buying the game

legacyzero

Banned
This is UBISOFT we're talking about here folks! This is par for the course.

Vertical Slice ----------------->> Reality

autoduelist

Not only this, but before you have everything working in unison and pre-optimization it's very hard to judge exactly what you're going to hit on the target hardware. There's guesswork going on there - even if you think you can hit the target, you may discover that you were asking too much and the framerate is suffering and you need to downgrade.

Given there is no way to know exactly what you're going to be able to have, do you show 'really good' or intentionally downgrade the early video? Only one of those makes sense from a marketing perspective.

tioslash

Yes, it´s clear. Now it remains to be seen how much more downgraded it will get until release. There´s plenty of time.

Striek

Uhhh yeah, of course. Massive. It'll also be massive on PC, some people here kidding themselves. I was calling bullshit from day one.

Doesn't it make sense though? In 2012-2013 you are developing for consoles that don't exist. I don't get all the downgrade nonsense. With Watch Dogs it made sense to complain about, no one knew the graphics had been downgraded until it was released.

Now it just seems like people are trying to be the first people to call "DOWNGRADE" so they seem smart on the internet. Shit happens in game development. As long as they are being transparent about it, I don't see what the issue is.

Oh, wait. Am I supposed to just bandwagon without thinking?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It looks nothing like the 2013 reveal. Just accept the fact that anything Ubi shows will be a downgrade.

Pretty much.

That's the reason why I can't get excited for Ghost Recon: Wastelands.

Haines

Banned
No shit it doesn't look like the reveal.

Let me spell this out for anyone who still doesn't understand.

Game reveals are not a finished game. They will always look better to wow the audience.

Stop worrying about graphics and worry about gameplay.

Hell I just hot done playing 2 player superario bros 3 and I sure don't give a shit if it looked better when it was first revealed.

Get a high-end PC and there won't be a downgrade.
Yay.

Eh not really, if it's vertical slice nonsense (which was likely what the initial trailer was) a lot of those assets at that fidelity won't be developed on a wide scale just to be seen on PC. See Witcher 3 recently, Watch Dogs etc. This practice sucks and Ubi is guilty of it more than most devs consistency wise, and it makes me particularly wary of Ghost Recon cause that looked incredible, and will likely be downgraded :/

The initial reveal kinda of screamed "BS" to me, forget high end PC, with the original pics, it was showing absurd detailed assets for something like a single alley or whatever and of course the dodging bullets behind a car gif, looking so ideal, it all looked "target rendery".

SliChillax

Not only this, but before you have everything working in unison and pre-optimization it's very hard to judge exactly what you're going to hit on the target hardware. There's guesswork going on there - even if you think you can hit the target, you may discover that you were asking too much and the framerate is suffering and you need to downgrade.

Given there is no way to know exactly what you're going to be able to have, do you show 'really good' or intentionally downgrade the early video? Only one of those makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Or they probably had less stuff on screen or a smaller map when they first revealed it. Games aren't downgraded for fun, there's a reason. Ubisoft devs aren't evil devils trying to rustle your jimmies, console hardware has limitations, even high end PC's do.

Doesn't it make sense though? In 2012-2013 you are developing for consoles that don't exist. I don't get all the downgrade nonsense. With Watch Dogs it made sense to complain about, no one knew the graphics had been downgraded until it was released.

Now it just seems like people are trying to be the first people to call "DOWNGRADE" so they seem smart on the internet. Shit happens in game development. As long as they are being transparent about it, I don't see what the issue is.
Why did pretty much no other game on console not receive such large downgrades as the Ubisoft games did then?

I expect this will also happen to Ghost Recon. I imagine they try their best, but the way they structure development means that a game will get a 'target footage' video, years before release.

Yep. There was no way they could've packed that much detail in for consoles. Not to mention, for an open world online game.

This is from 2013:

YjkRT2X.jpg

Madness

Two years of development time changes things. When it was revealed it wasn't fully fleshed out. Plus a lot of these multiplatform games use high end maxed PC's to show off initially. This is a business. They need people wowed and excited.

Just accept this as industry norm and move on. It's why I love Rockstar. Whatever they show in GTA is always in engine. What you see when they reveal GTA IV and V is what the game will actually look like.

I still think Division is gorgeous as hell and can't wait to play it.

Valnen

Or they probably had less stuff on screen or a smaller map when they first revealed it. Games aren't downgraded for fun, there's a reason. Ubisoft devs aren't evil devils trying to rustle your jimmies, console hardware has limitations, even high end PC's do.

Maybe more devs should wait to show their games until they're closer to completion, like with Fallout 4? At least that game won't be downgraded.

Top Bottom