• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Downgrade?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Zzzzzzzzzzz, tired of this story. Heard it too many times.

I hope you're not saying that because this happens so much that people should stop talking about it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Get a high-end PC and there won't be a downgrade.
Yay.

Ya'll never learn.
mjlol.png

zlatko

Banned
I would say a very minor downgrade if it happened.

I still think this game definitely looks incredible for what's going on. Open world RPG/MMO esque third person shooter. Sexy game still.

I'm all over it day one. Pre-ordered.... debating that collector's edition ugh. That watch!

SliChillax

Maybe more devs should wait to show their games until they're closer to completion, like with Fallout 4? At least that game won't be downgraded.

Well yeah, I agree with that. I hate it when devs show their games more than a year away from release.

Why did pretty much no other game on console not receive such large downgrades as the Ubisoft games did then?

Oh, yeah, you're right! I'm sorry I'm such a fucking idiot. How could I forget that no other games got downgraded? I mean, PRETTY MUCH, am i rite?

I mean, look at Dark Souls 2 and The Witcher 3. Those games weren't downgraded. GTAV is a perfect example of a game that wasn't downgraded later in its release as well.

Sorry for being stupid.

Ubisoft made a shit game with Watch Dogs. It brought attention to an issue that hadn't been noticed before. Now every time an Ubisoft game comes out it's some dank internet meme. When it releases downgraded from it's "final" version, then people can bitch. But the idea that "downgrade" is even a thing at this point in development shows a large amount of ignorance from an "Enthusiast" community.

marrec

Banned
I hope you're not saying that because this happens so much that people should stop talking about it.

People should stop talking about it. It's not a big deal. If y'all are so worried about it then get a super expensive high-end PC and you're "downgrade" experiences will be minor.

Or be like normal, sane people and just play games that are good as they are released.

This constant coverage culture is getting tiresome.

Damerman

hands down this was downgraded. My cousin who was watching it in another room came running down asking me if i noticed it... i was like: *jay-z voice* YUP!

Eh not really, if it's vertical slice nonsense (which was likely what the initial trailer was) a lot of those assets at that fidelity won't be developed on a wide scale just to be seen on PC. See Witcher 3 recently, Watch Dogs etc. This practice sucks and Ubi is guilty of it more than most devs consistency wise, and it makes me particularly wary of Ghost Recon cause that looked incredible, and will likely be downgraded :/

This 2013 version won't run even on high-end PC.

Just the initial footage showed in 2013 was unrealistic.

Ya'll never learn.
mjlol.png
My bad.
I actually forgot we were talking about Ubisoft somehow.
I'll take that crow and eat it.

Yeah, it's downgraded to a point where it's very different visually. Still super gorgeous, though. It's the same every time with this company. At this point, just look for gameplay concepts instead of graphics when it comes to this.

It is hilarious that these companies fall all over themselves providing previews of the PC version, when the PC port is inevitably released late and half-baked. Ubisoft are so full of shit.

RPGam3r

Developers show you a target that early. That doesn't mean they hit it as there is plenty of dev hurdles to get over before releasing.

Wish they put that disclaimer on all early footage so gamers would just realize games aren't done until they ship (and nowadays that is debatable).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People should stop talking about it. It's not a big deal. If y'all are so worried about it then get a super expensive high-end PC and you're "downgrade" experiences will be minor.

Or be like normal, sane people and just play games that are good as they are released.

This constant coverage culture is getting tiresome.

Wanting developers to deliver on what they show makes me insane?

dhonk

Just accept this as industry norm and move on. It's why I love Rockstar. Whatever they show in GTA is always in engine. What you see when they reveal GTA IV and V is what the game will actually look like.

Iiiiiiii dont know about that. Quite often the reveal trailers are ingame assets with waaaaaaay higher image quality. (AKA bullshot image quality.)

antitrop

2013 and 2014 clips look colorful and vibrant, 2015 is desaturated and boring (on top of obviously being technically less impressive).

marrec

Banned
Wanting developers to deliver on what they show makes me insane?

Expecting visual quality to remain 100% constant throughout a 4-5 year development cycle over and over again makes you insane yes.

Developers showing early builds that reach a bit too high for the performance available over and over again makes them insane as well.

cameron

It still looks good. The media from 2014 had the biggest drop from the initial reveal. The stuff shown this year looks close to the stuff from last year.

Damerman

Get a high-end PC and there won't be a downgrade.
Yay.

which is bullshit because watch dogs maxed out didn't look nearly as good as the reveal... and thats the crux of the issue. Let people who can play it with great visuals, play it that way... don't take it down for every one.

I expect this will also happen to Ghost Recon. I imagine they try their best, but the way they structure development means that a game will get a 'target footage' video, years before release.

Ghost Recon has no chance. I mean.... look at it. Looks a shit ton more detailed than The Division 2015.

It still looks good. The media from 2014 had the biggest drop from the initial reveal. The stuff shown this year looks close to the stuff from last year.

2014 still looked really damn good. The lighting was beautiful, and you still had some good detail and ground clutter.

It didn't look that bad to me.

2015 looks.... ok I guess

First time I saw this, I instantly thought Ubisoft wasn't even being subtle about it, this doesn't even look high end PC in 2013, this looks straight up they "target rendered" the hell out of this and ran a pre-rendered video.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game was revealed two years ago (that was UBI's mistake) before this downgrade bullshit started becoming a "thing". Expecting what they showed in 2013 on a console driven market is beyond ludicrous.

Does the game look good? If so, why the hell do we care? I could see if they never showed the game between 2013 and launch, but that is obviously NOT the case. Nor was it the case with Watch_Dogs or any other game released since then. Game progress. Either let publishers know they shouldn't reveal games that are YEARS away from release, or shaddup about it.

Ghost Recon has no chance. I mean.... look at it.

PC version can look like this.

One of the main problems with the video in the OP is that the Xbone version seems to run below 1080p and it is very blurry. On top, youtube. Not practical for any final judgement, but the game looks downgraded overall.

Top Bottom