• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

ShinMaruku

Didn't he direct the hurricane packs and not the main game?

He was director of hurricane packs and Black. He was also the mind behind the AI. The man is very skilled and yet people never know what he worked on and base all their hate on him on 1 game. Meanwhile he has worked with many other parties, got very high up in the CEO of Koei's esteem
That man is a hardass almost on Kutaragi's level
and has done some very nice games after Ninja Gaiden 3.

Anyhow a collab of NG and DMC would be perfection. Still want Dante and Kagura trolling bosses though.....

Son Of D

During scene with Dante reading the magazine I never looked at screens to see what the magazine says. Thought I'd take a screen to check:

devilmaycry4specialedvmun7.jpg

I still have no idea. Although I like there seems to be an article about the food that Dante likes.

ShinMaruku

During scene with Dante reading the magazine I never looked at screens to see what the magazine says. Thought I'd take a screen to check:

I still have no idea. Although I like there seems to be an article about the food that Dante likes.

That explains why Lady and Trish dress so.

Like with Itagaki there is no objectivity. Razors edge has some of the best mook battling. If they had reallyt overhauled the game it would be been somehting special. It restored my faith too.

Of course they are insane. I'm just saying those shitting on Hayashi are equally as nuts. Perhaps it's the same people. :p
I fail to see how Razor's Edge's regular battles were in any way great. Slapping NGII's combat mechanics on top of that pile of garbage only highlighted just how fucked up the dynamic between Ryu's essential moves was due to Steel on Bone, not to mention the dodge happy enemies that can effortlessly escape your combos at any time, whereas in older games catching them off guard ensured certain death.

And I have every good reason to shit on Hayashi for the aforementioned NG3 as well his continued tampering with NG1 and 2 in the same way George Lucas continued to tamper with the original Star Wars trilogy decades later. Only thing that could restore my faith for a Ninja Gaiden 4 is to give the directorial duties to someone else because DOA5 showed that there are people who can lead a project at that company far more competently than Hayashi (and I still have particular gripes with DOA5).

He also has a Beowulf poster in his office.

He was director of hurricane packs and Black. He was also the mind behind the AI. The man is very skilled and yet people never know what he worked on and base all their hate on him on 1 game. Meanwhile he has worked with many other parties, got very high up in the CEO of Koei's esteem
That man is a hardass almost on Kutaragi's level
and has done some very nice games after Ninja Gaiden 3.

Anyhow a collab of NG and DMC would be perfection. Still want Dante and Kagura trolling bosses though.....

Hayashi gets shit on since every since he took over Ninja Gaiden the franchise has gone straight decline, from NGS2, NG3, and that NGZ game. And Razor'Edge only showed how messed up NG3 was as a game at its core and the way to made it "better" was to replicate NG2... Not that much of a milestone anyway.

ShinMaruku

If only Itagaki got shit on for DOA4 or the Devils Third,
Not expecting that :p

Anyhow outside of that and Capcom buying BloodRayne there is no other collaberation that could happen.

Really why didn't Capcom buy Ryane when Majesco was selling her. These nutcases could have worked her so well. Good god the dialogue would be near equal of Kagura.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hayashi was not the director of NGB. He was the project lead. Itagaki was both director and producer with Matsui as a director.

Hayashi was director for Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

ShinMaruku

Capcom isn't exactly in the position to be buying other IPs when they can barely sustain their own IPs.

This was years ago when Majesco was in the toilet, they could have bought it cheap and in this rendition of Capcom could have made a tidy profit.

I bet Inafune had a hand in it.

Helscream

Banned
So I finally got around to beating Vergil's campaign on DMD. And I can start to see why people say he is OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b76uQf1_Z8w Sanctus is a joke with him.

Some thoughts I wanted to share concerning the game as a whole.

Having to go back through the campaign reminded of just how lacking the game is when it comes to level design. I get the impression that each demon that comes from the hellgates had a "elemental domain" of their own, but I felt like Echidna was really the only demon who really turned an entire environment to her own liking. Berial didn't really manifest his own environment and Bael/Dagon just took over a castle. I would have also hoped for more demons themed to their proper elemental domain.

The camera at times tries to make everything look stylish and when it works its good, but when its bad the camera is atrocious.

The platforming and puzzle solving is a complete chore in this game. The first or second playthrough its sufferable, but beyond that it starts to becomes insufferable. Also on top of that having to going through the exact same content backwards as Dante was underwhelming. I really wonder at what point in development did the team become bankrupt of good idea's or was it sheer laziness.

The combat however is the bread and butter of this game and in my opinion is the only thing that matters in a DMC game. Even with its flaws and shortcomings (such as most bosses/enemies clearly being tuned for Nero) its really has some of the best combat mechanics of any game in the last decade. I know that's a bold statement, but when you look at all the crazy shit you can do with Dante I will stand by that statement.

Balance wise I feel that every character is in good shape but Trish. I died on level 84 in the bloody palace when facing off with the two Blitz. I don't think Trish was tuned well when fighting Blitz or Faust/Mephisto because both enemies can evade the Pandora cannon since they move around so damn much. (and this becomes much worse on DMD). And outside of using DT her range weapons are so bloody weak its hard to breakthrough enemy defenses.

I just hope if there is a DMC5 Capcom looks back at the flaws of DMC4 and tries to recreate the experience DMC3 offered, but more refined and polished with new concepts and ideas.

MrJames079

Neo Member
Since the Dante and Sparda costumes are already in by default; the Kagami, Demetri and generic desaturated palettes were all that were needed for all of Vergil's decent palette swaps to be playable.

The textures are here if anyone wants them.

It's a little disappointing that they didn't do that with LDK's bosses this time - it's been 7 years and they still won't let us recreate the double Credo video in the regular game. Along with Lucia and questionable product placement, it's the last thing left which should be brought back from DMC2.

Would somebody mind explaining to me or linking me to something that shows how the hell you put these in the game? I'm kinda new to this and I'm really digging the look of that white coat Vergil

I think they wanted to create a metroidvania feeling at the beginning, but they had to rush at one point. But honestly the game is 7 years old now, we should know at this point what to expect. The combat and animations are still god like though.

I still love Bayonetta 2 a lot more, because the whole package is so much better. That said I really hope DMC 5 delivers on the other fronts as well.

I want "Thoroughness elucidation" to be my GAF tag.

I've not played this game in several days so I'll probably be a bit rusty, but I'm gonna try and focus on finishing my Lady/Trish SoS playthrough tonight and then start with the DMC HD collection, which I finally bought this morning.

Speaking of which, anyone got a good DMC1 guide to point to, specifically with stuff regarding combat and enemy tips? Been a while since I first beat the game on normal and while I remember most of the level layouts and objectives just fine, I'd like to get a bit more out of that game's mechanics more than I did a year or two ago.

MrJames079

Neo Member
Would somebody mind explaining to me or linking me to something that shows how the hell you put these in the game? I'm kinda new to this and I'm really digging the look of that white coat Vergil

Status report: I've figured out how to put the mod in the game but now I've run into a different problem, no matter what I do Vergil's arms stay blue and I can't seem to get them to change even after pasting in the files
MDCmnrV.png

MrJames079

Neo Member
Status report: I've figured out how to put the mod in the game but now I've run into a different problem, no matter what I do Vergil's arms stay blue and I can't seem to get them to change even after pasting in the files
MDCmnrV.png

Well I've completely given up on trying to figure out this blue arms issue, if its not too much trouble, could someone upload the kagami palette as a .arc file so I can see if the problem is something on my end?

that's trish and lady voice actors isn't?

Looks like Famitsu got an interview with Kobayashi at SDCC ?

Google Translate:

is Kobayashi there just to promote RE 0 remaster?

Golnei

I want "Thoroughness elucidation" to be my GAF tag.

necessary seeing - type of man whom the submissive heroine likes

MDCmnrV.png

Have you invalidated or replaced pl030_demo.arc? Vergil's arm textures are always read from that instead of pl030.arc.

I think they wanted to create a metroidvania feeling at the beginning, but they had to rush at one point. But honestly the game is 7 years old now, we should know at this point what to expect. The combat and animations are still god like though.

I still love Bayonetta 2 a lot more, because the whole package is so much better. That said I really hope DMC 5 delivers on the other fronts as well.

Even if the nature of 4's campaign is long-established at this point, it's still a very poorly constructed experience for those who don't delve deeply into the combat, justifying negative or mediocre reviews. Regarding the vague Metroidvania-ish inspirations, (even if Resident Evil would probably be more accurate) while I'd love it if the series went further down that path, DMC4's level design would make it a prospect to be dreaded even without the degree of asset reuse present there. Hopefully, the level designers who worked on Dragon's Dogma would be involved in some respect...

gunbo13

didn't notice until now but sakaki posted up 2 vergil combos that look hiiiiilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscnOiZ6QTo

the second one in particular is super cool
This is what I predicated and feared when playing as Vergil. I'm not thinking 10,000 hours Dante but it will take a lot. These guy/girl players are talented but damn do they have to have a lot of time. I envy. :(

I'll probably commit a pedestrian Vergil and hang it up. Need a new mainline title, especially with the lousy DMC4 campaign, to shock some life into the franchise.

This is what I predicated and feared when playing as Vergil. I'm not thinking 10,000 hours Dante but it will take a lot. These guy/girl players are talented but damn do they have to have a lot of time. I envy. :(

I'll probably commit a pedestrian Vergil and hang it up. Need a new mainline title, especially with the lousy DMC4 campaign, to shock some life into the franchise.
Don't worry you got enough time to submit an entry for the GAF True Style Tournament.

ShinMaruku

At first I thought it was impossible to get s-rank with super characters, nope, I just have to style my ass off. I call it my personal challenge. But I think it's making me never want to play Normal Nero XD

I can check. I used reference guides when I first setup the PS4. All my TV modes are calibrated individually, have been for many years. This is the same display I have played through with Infamous SS, TLOU, and a few other PS4 titles. I especially felt that Infamous SS looks damn damn good, TLOU isn't bad for a remaster.

DMC4:SE is running at 60fps and is roughly 7.5 years old. The PC version down-sampled looks pretty damn good even today. Detail is preserved, motion blur is not needed, no anti-aliasing, and far more pixels. Vanilla was the same. When you compare that crisp of an image against the PS4 version, the PS4 version is going to look basically like a mess. Not only the image though, the game is less responsive on PS4 for sure, no question. And that mess of a controller.

Sounds good. Try setting your ps4 to output at RGB range full, and see if that helps with the washed out look. As I mentioned earlier, ps4s auto setting is busted and often doesn't read RGB ranges properly so you instead have to set it to limited or full specifically.

I-hate-u

Definitely understandable. DMC4's designs are not acceptable in 2015. It's a game geared towards the hardcores with the content they decided to focus on. Better that the game gets these reviews now so that Capcom can be reminded on what they got wrong in DMC4.

To be fair when a core component of your game (the campaign) sucks absolute balls then yeah, a 6/10 is fair.

I say this as someone who LOVES DMC4. That campaign is awful, confusing and when I picked up SE I forgot nearly the entire campaign because of how mind-boggingly stupid and out of place everything is.

Bayonetta on the other hand reviewed very highly in part because the campaign and combat went so well together. I'm sure if DMC4 had a proper campaign that was interesting, fun, visually pretty to look at (a few areas are nice but the rest is just bland nonsense that makes no sense) and didn't have constant backtracking as an obvious method to prolong the game, DMC4 would have been much better received.

I was enamored with the game when it came out in 07. It was my introduction to the DMC franchise. After 8 or so playthroughs, I bought DMC3 SE and while the story and characters far outpace what is in 4, I think in my heart I always had such a fondness for the game. Maybe because of the Total Result soundtrack.

Playing the game again 2015 made me see a poor game built around phenomenal combat and animation in playable characters and enemies, where the story is so nonsensical, and the level design so terribly bad where it seems that levels are attached together with strings. A meaningless love story, repetitive dice rooms, terrible laser sections, and the infamous backtracking all tell me a story about a game with troubled development.

Yet, despite how many so called superior games I have played in Bayonetta, Rising and Ninja Gaiden, 4 will always be my favorite. I really hope Capcom utilizes the strengths of 4 and 3 to make that perfect action game with an epic Vergil x Dante x Nero story.

Dahbomb

Well 4 came out like 7 years ago so that's fine. It's just that standards have gotten a lot better since then and so have expectations.

That's why if Capcom releases a DMC4.5 as DMC5 it would be a disaster.

Mizerman

Yeah, I would like to think that Capcom knows better than to skimp out on something anticipated as DMC5 and just go the bare minimum.

That wouldn't fly so well nowadays.

Well, that's done. Son of Sparda finished with Lady and Trish. The rust had definitely set in during the past week, as jumping in at mission 17 and going through the rest of it there was not my best moment. Especially with Savior and Sanctus. I feel so ashamed going through all three gold orbs on that last mission, but by that point I was really losing patience and wanted it over with.

But hey, I unlocked Trish's EX color as a result, so there is that. Though I got it just barely

Dunno if I want to give up on the campaign just yet as I still want to unlock the remaining stuff in the game (not to mention I still have four secret missions left). Though if I keep playing I'm probably not gonna start on DMD right away and just stick to improving my scores on earlier difficulties and get back in the groove. To think I ended up playing like shit after taking a week off from it.

I was enamored with the game when it came out in 07. It was my introduction to the DMC franchise. After 8 or so playthroughs, I bought DMC3 SE and while the story and characters far outpace what is in 4, I think in my heart I always had such a fondness for the game. Maybe because of the Total Result soundtrack.

Playing the game again 2015 made me see a poor game built around phenomenal combat and animation in playable characters and enemies, where the story is so nonsensical, and the level design so terribly bad where it seems that levels are attached together with strings. A meaningless love story, repetitive dice rooms, terrible laser sections, and the infamous backtracking all tell me a story about a game with troubled development.

Yet, despite how many so called superior games I have played in Bayonetta, Rising and Ninja Gaiden, 4 will always be my favorite.

I always had trouble explaining to others why I like DMC4 more than DMC3 even though I know that 3 is overall a better game. Your explanation explains why I have spend more hours in 4 than 3.

I really hope Capcom utilizes the strengths of 4 and 3 to make that perfect action game with an epic Vergil x Dante x Nero story.

just 2 more months and couple days to go before we know if such a thing exists
sheldon-breathing-into-bag-gif.gif

Rean

Well I'm around mission 17 or 18 with Dante now. (Just got Lucifer) He is pretty difficult to learn, but I think I'm getting his weapon switching down. I'm also getting used to his teleports and dodges too. Seeing Dante slowly building this arsenal of weapons he's getting is making me feel dissapointed that Nero doesn't have as many weapons as him. Regardless, Nero is still fun to play as.

Also is there anyway to hit those teleporting electric enemies instead of just shooting them until they're stunned? I haven't found a way around it other than that.

Same guy who first posted that Credo no damge DMD, comes another Credo v Vergil stylish vid.. Check out the taunt at 0:26
https://youtu.be/S3gZCuMBR2U?t=28s

Vergil makes everyone his bitch.. except Dante and Mundus of course...

heavy rain swords are excellent way for dishing out damage and stopping enemy so you can breath. Was plenty helpful in DMD

I had Credo pinned and did the distort/jf/lvl3 charge punch with beowful and he ate 80-90% health

Well I'm around mission 17 or 18 with Dante now. (Just got Lucifer) He is pretty difficult to learn, but I think I'm getting his weapon switching down. I'm also getting used to his teleports and dodges too. Seeing Dante slowly building this arsenal of weapons he's getting is making me feel dissapointed that Nero doesn't have as many weapons as him. Regardless, Nero is still fun to play as.

Also is there anyway to hit those teleporting electric enemies instead of just shooting them until they're stunned? I haven't found a way around it other than that.

The Blitzes are always a pain in the ass. These are my strategies for them:

Nero: Level 3 Charge shot till they lose the cloak, then DT and buster them twice, and make sure you hold a charge shot during both of them so by the end you'll have a lvl 3 charge. When the Blitz backflips from the second buster, unleash the charge shot the streak toward him, and buster him one last time. This will bring him to where a single shot will kill him, so when he's charging up, just shoot him and you get an SSS rank (Don't forget to taunt :))

Dante: Equip the Gilgamesh and Royal Guard. Get near the blitz, and ounch him, then immediately parry, and you'll absorb the hit, keep doing this till his shield comes off. When it does, go near him and RI (Only distort the final hit or he'll fall out of it), and this should bring him to the "Red Cloak" state. Simply dodge his attacks, or punch+Royal Guard.

Vergil: Use your sword formations to decloak him, then if you have a Lv3 Concentration, charge a rising dragon with Beowulf to level 3, and it will bring him to an inch with his life. A single summoned sword will kill him (Use a formation then taunt for ultimate badassery points)

Rean

The Blitzes are always a pain in the ass. These are my strategies for them:

Nero: Level 3 Charge shot till they lose the cloak, then DT and buster them twice, and make sure you hold a charge shot during both of them so by the end you'll have a lvl 3 charge. When the Blitz backflips from the second buster, unleash the charge shot the streak toward him, and buster him one last time. This will bring him to where a single shot will kill him, so when he's charging up, just shoot him and you get an SSS rank (Don't forget to taunt :))

Dante: Equip the Gilgamesh and Royal Guard. Get near the blitz, and ounch him, then immediately parry, and you'll absorb the hit, keep doing this till his shield comes off. When it does, go near him and RI (Only distort the final hit or he'll fall out of it), and this should bring him to the "Red Cloak" state. Simply dodge his attacks, or punch+Royal Guard.

Vergil: Use your sword formations to decloak him, then if you have a Lv3 Concentration, charge a rising dragon with Beowulf to level 3, and it will bring him to an inch with his life. A single summoned sword will kill him (Use a formation then taunt for ultimate badassery points)
Thanks, I'll try this out. I don't have everything unlocked yet, but I had a hunch the charge shots would help in some way against them.

Dahbomb

That stun move that Vergil has with the swords shouldn't be working on bosses like that... way too powerful. I mean yea yea "Vergil OP OP OP" but mechanics like these are very dangerous in action games. You could potentially come up with stun loops where you stun the opponent, do a combo that builds enough meter within that stun period then do the stun move again to indefinitely lock in enemies or bosses. Stuff like that kinda breaks Godhand too with the moves that dizzy or stagger.

Honestly speaking Vergil shouldn't even be in DMC4 with his toolset. It's exactly the same case as DMC4 Dante. It's like Superman in Gotham city, it's just a joke at this point.

Finally got Judgment Cut loops down! So happy!
Devil's Third looks like shit.

Itagaki is definitely washed up.

And it's on the Wii U (DansGame)

Like with Itagaki there is no objectivity. Razors edge has some of the best mook battling. If they had reallyt overhauled the game it would be been somehting special. It restored my faith too.

Pretty much. RE was a good game :)

Capcom isn't exactly in the position to be buying other IPs when they can barely sustain their own IPs.

...and on multiple consoles

MrJames079

Neo Member
necessary seeing - type of man whom the submissive heroine likes

Have you invalidated or replaced pl030_demo.arc? Vergil's arm textures are always read from that instead of pl030.arc.

Even if the nature of 4's campaign is long-established at this point, it's still a very poorly constructed experience for those who don't delve deeply into the combat, justifying negative or mediocre reviews. Regarding the vague Metroidvania-ish inspirations, (even if Resident Evil would probably be more accurate) while I'd love it if the series went further down that path, DMC4's level design would make it a prospect to be dreaded even without the degree of asset reuse present there. Hopefully, the level designers who worked on Dragon's Dogma would be involved in some respect...

Replacing the arm file in that worked brilliantly, thanks
GxNBMk6.gif

Seyavesh

haha holy shit you can doubletap/tripletap the chain judgement cut input to make it 10x easier

i was just mashing y and then i chained an air judgement cut into a grounded one somehow just by mashing it loll

doubletapping/tripletapping makes the ground judgement cut->air judgement cut chain super duper easy

myco666

Finally managed to beat Nero/Dante campaign. I remembered this game being easier but I think I played it on Human first time through so that might be it. Only thing that I didn't really like with Nero/Dante is how once you get used to Dante you will be changed back to Nero and don't really remember how to play with him. Otherwise super great game. Tried Vergil for two missions also and wow he feels super broken. I have almost everything unlocked already though but still.

Top Bottom