• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodin

Kevin Callahan, the guy behind the original Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour, is at it again and says that the sequel is now in development for the NX. Callahan says Nintendo is aiming at launching the NX for $149.99. The reason for the cheap price point is that Nintendo doesn’t want to compete against the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Callahan points to the fact that Nintendo has trademarked the word Diddy Kong and that Retro Studios haven’t revealed a new Wii U game as evidence that the game is coming. At this point in time this news is nothing but a big fat juicy rumour.

"The Diddy Kong Racing 2 project was moved over to new hardware that will be launched in 2016. The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU."

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/2...g-2-is-apparently-being-developed-for-the-nx/

Sounds fake to me to be honest (the part about what NX is at least, unless he's talking about a handheld), but we had a discussion about it a few weeks ago so i thought it could be thread worthy. Lock and throw bananas at me if old.

amnesiac

The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

giphy.gif

While I don't believe it, $150 would be an amazing price.
I am thinking $200 because doing history research, SNES and N64 were both priced at $200.

Do not buy this one bit. Even if they were aiming at a low price point, launching a new system at a lower price point than the WiiU is just impossible and would have to be a significant loss on each system sold.

SerTapTap

the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU

If true this is mega disappointing. I don't see much reason to believe any of this though.

While I don't believe it, $150 would be an amazing price.
I am thinking $200 because doing history research, SNES and N64 were both priced at $200.

Inflation though, SNES was around $350 inflation considered...and carts were extremely expensive.

mclem

Even if there was a Diddy Kong Racing 2, I'm really not sure I necessarily see it coming from Retro. If it is, then kudos (pun not intended!) to them for not sticking with the comfortable genres.

Doran902

but whats the gimmick?

Nintendo will still be making awesome first party games but this won't do anything for the 3rd party problem.

Mendrox

If true this is mega disappointing. I don't see much reason to believe any of this though.

Yeah that cannot be true. Nintendo would upgrade a bit hopefuly... I mean, yes their games look stunning on the Wii U, but they need to stay on par with the other consoles..

Kimawolf

Lol that would not make 3rd parties happy lol and makes no sense to release the same box with only a cpu change and name change.

Rodin

That bit sounds like "people on the internet say CPU and RAM bandwidth on the Wii U are slow so let me say that they at least addressed these issues".

But yeah, if any of this is to believe, i think Mpl90 is right and we're talking about the handheld here.

McHuj

It's actually very believable when you consider how Nintendo has talked about price issues with the WiiU and have experienced them with the 3DS launch.

Iwata talked about absorbing the WiiU architecture as well. The GPU wasn't the issue, just the CPU. Substitute an ARM CPU for the PPC, update the GPU, and integrate everything into one SOC and it seems reasonable.

My guess would be that's the portable and a home console with an even bigger GPU would come the following year for a slightly higher price.

Massa

That sounds like speculation not rumor.

Either way it's what I'd bet on. The lesson Nintendo needs to take from Wii U is that their system should be as cheap as possible, not that they should try to compete with Playstation and Xbox.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's actually very believable when you consider how Nintendo has talked about price issues with the WiiU and have experienced them with the 3DS launch.

Iwata talked about absorbing the WiiU architecture as well. The GPU wasn't the issue, just the CPU. Substitute an ARM CPU for the PPC, update the GPU, and integrate everything into one SOC and it seems reasonable.

Wouldn't be a price issue if the value was there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, the part about NX smells like bullshit.
The only say it makes a bit of sense is if there was some confusion and he's talking about the handheld form factor. We know that the screen resolution has already been targeted, of course the handheld is 2016.

MrPanic

If this is going to be that console/handheld hybrid thing people always assume Ninty would make, the specs might make sense.... maybe.

All these rumors sound fake though, we'll see next year.

It makes sense as NX is both Home console/handheld so they are using updated Wii U(which consumes very low power already) in that which is possible to reach that price by 2016 and backwards compatibility. Nintendo knows they can't compare with PS/XB so they need to see their portable strengths and combine the Home console as a single package.

KaneU

Lol @ that price point, but then again... if it's just a repackaged Wii U without a tablet controller... it sounds reasonable.

Actually, the more I think about this - take away the tablet controller from the Wii U.

What's the cost of the system without that expensive thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom