• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the only believable part of the rumor is the price.

Because a history of the pricing...
  • NES - $100
  • SNES - $200
  • N64 - $200
  • Gamecube - $200
  • Wii - $250
  • Wii U - $300

I can see them going back to the $200 pricetag.

These prices are not adjusted for inflation at all, though. By today's standard the NES actually cost $500,000 USD.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Unseen64 is also tweeting about having heard the same stuff about NX from their own sources.

No surprise if true, Iwata has been fairly candid about the direction for future hardware. Affordable, easy for mobile/indies to work with, shared architecture across handheld/console and some kind of Wii U integration.

It's not going to be $150 but it's not going to be $300+.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
zWVbK.gif

sounds like bullshit from start to end

Yeah, so the NX is effectively a Wii U without a gamepad. Nothing could go wrong with that and I'm sure third party support will be insane (as in non-existent). I don't buy this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If the console is aiming at a $150, Nintendo is likely ditching the tablet controller. I wonder if they will keep the Wii Remote capability, or just stick with a normal controller.

These prices are not adjusted for inflation at all, though. By today's standard the NES actually cost $500,000 USD.
True, but Sony priced the PS4 perfectly after the high cost of PS3. You can make a pretty powerful console for $200 retail. Although if the rumor is true, it seems they are just going to make a portable Wii U. Plus inflation has to occur between SNES and Gamecube, but the price remained the same.

Vena

Well that and I actually own a Wii U...I really don't want to be in another Wii situation where I'm paying for a controller and the permission to access your new library. If the NX were a rebadged Wii U that's just kind of a huge fuck you to everyone who owns one.

...also this would be cheaper than the 3DS. They'll target cheap but I really don't see <$200 happening. I frankly don't want it to happen, Wii U games can look great but they'd look greater at 1080/anti-aliased. Any artstyle benefits from better IQ.

Bandwidth updates and an updated CPU (that isn't a total crapshoot) would allow 1080p/AA from the WiiU. It had a lot of pre-dev issues, problems with bandwidth, and the CPU is hamfisted carrying around BC on die and support for the pad rammed the price to the moon.

Rodin

Unseen64 is also tweeting about having heard the same stuff about NX from their own sources.

That said, I don't believe it either.

Like i said, maybe this is the handheld?

I know, this guy said "low price to avoid PS4/X1 competition", but maybe he had second hand info and mixed up stuff a little bit.

Kathian

Banned
Its a handheld; not sure why people still don't accept this.
And yes it'll launch at a price around the current 3DS price.

150 Bucks? Unless NX is some kind of Add On for the Wii U I don't believe that to be true

I like my Wii U enough that I would't mind NX being Nintendo's answer to the 32X, but it would't be enough to save them. That system's name is tarnished, they need to move forward, unfortunately.

Here's the original rumour:
https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

Literally fanfiction, building some dumb narrative around a couple of facts known to most people following Nintendo products closely.

It's funny that anyone would ever believe a leaker who's posting with a full name ever. No legitimate leaker would ever do that, because if they did they'd be fired so fast and hard it's not even funny.

CronoShot

Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

Even after the mistakes they've made, I don't think Nintendo could be that stupid.

$150 part sounded like BS, but it's totally believable if it's the same hardware as the WiiU. I'm excited for this now; if it's the same as the WiiU and can play all the games, I'll be buying one. I sold my WiiU after a few months of having it earlier this year. I'd welcome a new take on it.

Like i said, maybe this is the handheld?

I know, this guy said "low price to avoid PS4/X1 competition", but maybe he had second hand info and he mixed up stuff a little bit.
Yeah, if it is a portable Wii U the $150 price makes sense. Probably comes with a dock in which you can connect it for 1080p video.
Hopefully the OS is much better. Wonder how they will handle Splatoon BC?

the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU."

There is no way this is true, not when third parties are being positive about the new system. It always had to do with specs

Kriken

Callahan points to the fact that Nintendo has trademarked the word Diddy Kong and that Retro Studios haven’t revealed a new Wii U game as evidence that the game is coming.

Because CLEARLY Retro Studios is the only studio capable of working on Diddy Kong Racing, seems legit

I see it's rumour time again :)

Given that the only whispers we've heard have been about resolution for a handheld device screen, my bet is that NX is a handheld device of some sort, and that it's going to launch ahead of any Wii U successor (most likely the first platform to be part of what I expect to be Nintendo's shared architecture/ecosystem).

What it won't be is Wii U Mk 2 released as a home console.

pswii60

A $149 price-point and hardware to match is fine, but Nintendo isn't going to drum up much third party support unless games can easily be ported to NX from PS4/XBO. So it would need to be somewhat equivalent in hardware architecture.

That is unless NX will be so different (like Wii and Wii U) that Nintendo will hope that third parties will invest in developing games exclusively for their system. But this is an incredibly risky prospect as proven with Wii U.

But then I don't think Nintendo considers third parties too much whilst designing their systems.

I see it's rumour time again :)

Given that the only whispers we've heard have been about resolution for a handheld device screen, my bet is that NX is a handheld device of some sort, and that it's going to launch ahead of any Wii U successor (most likely the first platform to be part of what I expect to be Nintendo's shared architecture/ecosystem).

What it won't be is Wii U Mk 2 released as a home console.

What whispers about resolution?

I agree with those who suspect the nx is a hand held. I have no problem with that, even if they stop development on the wiiu and 3ds... Just give me the ability to hook it up to a TV.

Vena

A $149 price-point and hardware to match is fine, but Nintendo isn't going to drum up much third party support unless games can easily be ported to NX from PS4/XBO. So it would need to be somewhat equivalent in hardware architecture.

That is unless NX will be so different (like Wii and Wii U) that Nintendo will hope that third parties will invest in developing games exclusively for their system. But this is an incredibly risky prospect as proven with Wii U.

But then I don't think Nintendo considers third parties too much whilst designing their systems.

Architecture is irrelevant if it has engine support. Unless it has some bizarro micro-architecture like Cell/Xenon, it won't matter in this day and age as the ISA is nothing more than a superficial layer. x86 doesn't mean porting is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom