• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Could be the next handheld that's roughly on the level of a Wii U and can play the same games, with Zelda U being a launch game. See: "[...] a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.".
Basically the Gamepad on the go with the Wii U integrated. The touchscreen can then be also used for mobile/native-Android games or whatever.
Runs on the same NintendOS as the next console coming in 2017 and other future devices with different form-factors.

Rodin

Did you even read what you posted OP?

Did it sound logical?

The rumor is being discussed all over the internet and this guy was considered legit before E3, when we talked about his DKR rumor in another topic. So i thought it was fine to post this and discuss it (even to dismiss it, you know). Also another guy apparently tweeted that he heard similar stuff about NX so there's that too, and if we're talking about handheld it's not that unreasonable in my opinion.

Then of course if mods think it's a rumor not worth discussing they can still lock the thread.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only problem if this is a Wii U w/o the gamepad is how will Wii U games with no pro-controller support work? Will Nintendo release a patch to make them all work? Seems like a lot of effort.

Well... it could sync with a Wii U gamepad for current owners, though it means current owners will have a brick in the form of the Wii U console. Can't sell it without a gamepad.

Mononoke

Banned
Less than a 3DS? Ok...

I don't know if that would ever make sense (being less than a 3DS seems too insane). But I do strongly believe the NX needs to have a very low price if it wants to compete.

I still think it would be a mistake to have a PS4 powered $300 system. If the NX is really really cheap, then casual gamers would buy it for whatever software gimmicks Nintendo can push. Hardcore gamers would buy a system that cheap, because they want to have a system that has mario, zelda etc.

Actually I am curious if DS emulation exists on Wii U because it can emulate the 3DS now? Would be pretty big news if you could play your 3DS and Wii U library on one system.

Edit: I actually solved my issue with emulated two screens on one screen. They would just use DS emulation options, lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nintendo blogs are always so quick to jump on reporting wishful thinking rumours

We already know that whatever Retro is making isn't Metroid.

Still, I'm calling BS on this rumor.

What have we heard about Retro's current games in development, if anything? I know Nintendo's essentially said there's no Metroid game in dev at the time though, just curious if we know anything about what Retro is doing

The rumor is being discussed all over the internet and this guy was considered legit before E3, when we talked about his DKR rumor in another topic. So i thought it was fine to post this and discuss it (even to dismiss it, you know). Also another guy apparently tweeted that he heard similar stuff about NX so there's that too, and if we're talking about handheld it's not that unreasonable in my opinion.

Then of course if mods think it's a rumor not worth discussing they can still lock the thread.
the guy was never credible, people were just idiots and assumed a trademark meant something. Once again, no real leaker would ever use their full name. And if since this is the second "leak" it pretty much destroys any credibility since he would've been fired the first time

amnesiac

If Nintendo makes NX as powerful as the X1, what do people expect to happen? It's not like third parties will start coming back to Nintendo like the good old days.

I don't even think Nintendo has used the Wii U to its full potential. Making similar hardware, selling it cheaply, and distancing themselves from Sony and Microsoft is the best thing for Nintendo to do, I think.

Tom Nook

Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

Oh god, it better not be the new NX specs. I wouldn't buy even it's $99.

Neoxon

Nintendo blogs are always so quick to jump on reporting wishful thinking rumours

What have we heard about Retro's current games in development, if anything? I know Nintendo's essentially said there's no Metroid game in dev at the time though, just curious if we know anything about what Retro is doing
If I recall, we know that they were working on something right after Tropical Freeze.

cmChimera

Not happening.

And seriously, what's the point of Diddy Kong Racing at this point, with Mario Kart having characters from other franchises, underwater sections, gliders etc.?

If Nintendo makes NX as powerful as the X1, what do people expect to happen? It's not like third parties will start coming back to Nintendo like the good old days.

I don't even think Nintendo has used the Wii U to its full potential. Making similar hardware, selling it cheaply, and distancing themselves from Sony and Microsoft is the best thing for Nintendo to do, I think.
I'm not sure Nintendo will go for an equally powerful console, but I can guarantee you they wouldn't just put out the wii u without a game pad. That isn't at all how they operate

Tevious

$150 NX with mostly Wii U specs will be suicide. They need to get 3rd parties on board and match or beat the specs of the PS4/XBO. Then again, they're too LTTP so there's probably many people who won't consider buying the NX if it only matched current gen. The only thing I can think of that might favor Nintendo would be to have their console be the mid-gen console. A console that is more powerful than PS4/XBO, but less powerful than PS5/XB4. They wouldn't be directly competing with Sony or MS, they can win over new people who want the console with the best looking games and people who can afford a new console every 2-3 years, and they can keep their loyal fans who just want Nintendo games.

Other than that, I really don't see how Nintendo can ever turn out another success again. I think the Wii was a fluke that they won't be able to reproduce. They didn't know what to do with it and lost all those casuals who have moved on to smartphone/tablet games. The Wii U is having the same problems as the GameCube, IMO. Its kind of a lot to expect the masses to buy a console for just Nintendo exclusives. It'd be like if Square-Enix (or any other large developer) made its own console that only played their games and no others. It wouldn't sell that great. So I kind of wish Nintendo would just consider going 3rd party already. Put their big games on consoles/PC and their smaller games on android/apple devices and the PS/Xbox stores.

Neoxon

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried this, but they'd might as well do a Wii U revision if that was the case.

$150 NX with mostly Wii U specs will be suicide. They need to get 3rd parties on board and match or beat the specs of the PS4/XBO. Then again, they're too LTTP so there's probably many people who won't consider buying the NX if it only matched current gen. The only thing I can think of that might favor Nintendo would be to have their console be the mid-gen console. A console that is more powerful than PS4/XBO, but less powerful than PS5/XB4. They wouldn't be directly competing with Sony or MS, they can win over new people who want the console with the best looking games and people who can afford a new console every 2-3 years, and they can keep their loyal fans who just want Nintendo games.

Other than that, I really don't see how Nintendo can ever turn out another success again. I think the Wii was a fluke that they won't be able to reproduce. They didn't know what to do with it and lost all those casuals who have moved on to smartphone/tablet games. The Wii U is having the same problems as the GameCube, IMO. Its kind of a lot to expect the masses to buy a console for just Nintendo exclusives. It'd be like if Square-Enix (or any other large developer) made its own console that only played their games and no others. It wouldn't sell that great. So I kind of wish Nintendo would just consider going 3rd party already. Put their big games on consoles/PC and their smaller games on android/apple devices and the PS/Xbox stores.
No matter what Nintendo does, they aren't gonna win back third parties for a long time (if ever). The damage has long since been done & was too extensive. It'll take multiple console generations to repair such relationships. And judging by their comments on them rather going out of business before going third party, they'll most likely stick to hardware until they close their doors.

$150, not trying to compete with the current consoles....and third party reception was positive?!

I'm calling bullshit.

Rolls back in the mass market and families

Guys them taking the budget route could be more dsiruptive than we think

Especially if the system can deliver games at WiiU quality and higher

>NX being a marginally more powerful Wii U
>NX retailing at $149.99

Yeah, no. This is a load of steaming buffalo chips. I think this is just damage control done by the original so-called "leaker" because his previous rumor that was too good to be true was proven false through the game (if it even exists) being a no-show at this year's E3.

It's funny that anyone would ever believe a leaker who's posting with a full name ever. No legitimate leaker would ever do that, because if they did they'd be fired so fast and hard it's not even funny.

Also this.

Dimmle

149 bucks comes with its own set of quality perception issues. I don't think that's a good price point.

Other bits of this rumor that smell:
*proposing Nintendo is going to start using a strategy they've been using since 2006
*the assumption that the NX is just another retail console instead of a platform or a combination of the two
*Diddy Kong Racing 2 is a good title to anchor your rumor around if you want to pander to millennials

The whole thing seems really short-sighted.

LordOfChaos

the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU."

Please_no.gif

Rolls back in the mass market and families

Guys them taking the budget route could be more dsiruptive than we think

Especially if the system can deliver games at WiiU quality and higher
I think it could be positive if it is structured to be developed like mobile is.
That being said, I doubt we will see any AAA PS4-scale games on NX though. Probably something closer to Hitman Go.

What kind of system could Nintendo pull off with a $200 price and no gamepad for a 2016 release? Well at least it would be cool to have the gamepad as an option, but not packed in with the system.

I got the Wii U at launch because I actually liked the system idea, and I am enjoying it a lot next to my PS4. If think I have gotten my money's worth, but apart from what we know is coming, I certainly hope we have at least 1-2 surprises left. If not they will need a very solid launch lineup to make me buy the system at launch. PS4 and XB1 will be in the middle of the road in 2016, with lots of games coming and a very solid library already, probably cheaper already. Nintendo needs to think their next move a lot, but I think they will stick to a lower, impulse price tag, they know that their games are what sell the consoles.

If they launch at $200 I expect ports of some of the bigger games like MK8 and Smash.

kirby_fox

Banned
Sounds like speculation more than knowledge.

Now I have doubts about the Diddy Kong racing stuff in general. That was a very believable story, but now reading this it all makes sense as a guy full of it having fun.

Im on board if this is anywhere near the truth

Easiest impulse buy ever if

- Software investment and quality remains high
- Smooth OS and Easy to use Account System in place
- Backwards compatible with all software and peripherals out of the box

Its that simple at that price point. Easy second console impulse buy and a SOLID buy for any family

I think it could be positive if it is structured to be developed like mobile is.
That being said, I doubt we will see any AAA PS4-scale games on NX though. Probably something closer to Hitman Go.

I would consider their internally developed titles comparable at least

Im on board if this is anywhere near the truth

Easiest impulse buy ever if

- Software investment and quality remains high
- Smooth OS and Easy to use Account System in place
- Backwards compatible with all software and peripherals out of the box

Its that simple at that price point. Easy second console impulse buy and a SOLID buy for any family

If it's a magical device that inherits the Wii U emulators and can play NES through Wii games I would be amazed and, again, also cry.

pulsemyne

Like who the heck other than die-hard Nintendo fans would buy a Diddy Kong racing game?
KuGsj.gif

The original sold a fuckton.

Anyway a 150 dollar machine with a bit more power than the WiiU that is possibly a portable? Not too bad in my book. Imagine a portable splatoon for example.
The major problem with this rumour is that it would cost a lot of money to die shrink a WiiU GPU as it's quite unique in it's design. That's IF they could shrink the EDRAM which may not be possible.
If the rumour was true (Which I massively doubt). Then I would think that this would be a portable machine which comes with a dongle to send the signal to a TV. The tech is cheap as hell and would be a very nintendo thing to do. Of course running something as powerful as a WiiU, even with a die shrink, would still require some high battery power so there's that to consider.
The CPU was always a bit weak but if they tweak its FLOPS to something good then the machine could be much nicer. The memory bandwidth was also a bit low so a tweak to that would be welcome.
Most game engines these days are very scaleable. We know that Unreal4 is being worked on to work with WiiU. Unity already works well. Frostbite would also likely work if some effort was put into it.

Fitts

The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

I would love for this to be true if for no other reason than to silence those who contend the tablet doesn't add significant cost to the production of the Wii U.

I doubt it, though. Hoping that the NX is a console/handheld hybrid with specs that at least match the Wii U for $199.

I would consider their internally developed titles comparable at least
True, I mostly meant the third party games.
Honestly though, getting third party mobile games is better than no third party games.

The Nintendo stuff will be a mix of AAA, mid-budget, and low-budget I think. Since the system will share one library, it will probably be easier to have a consistent library.

Ehhh

They would be better off selling it with an HDMI out Dock station or just putting an HDMI port on it.

Having it stream would be too risky in my mind
A docking board for charging with an HDMI out port would not be that crazy.
The main thing they need to work on is battery life. It is about 3-4 hours for both Wii U gamepad and new 3DS XL.

The original sold a fuckton.

Anyway a 150 dollar machine with a bit more power than the WiiU that is possibly a portable? Not too bad in my book. Imagine a portable splatoon for example.
The major problem with this rumour is that it would cost a lot of money to die shrink a WiiU GPU as it's quite unique in it's design. That's IF they could shrink the EDRAM which may not be possible.
If the rumour was true (Which I massively doubt). Then I would think that this would be a portable machine which comes with a dongle to send the signal to a TV. The tech is cheap as hell and would be a very nintendo thing to do. Of course running something as powerful as a WiiU, even with a die shrink, would still require some high battery power so there's that to consider.
The CPU was always a bit weak but if they tweak its FLOPS to something good then the machine could be much nicer. The memory bandwidth was also a bit low so a tweak to that would be welcome.
Most game engines these days are very scaleable. We know that Unreal4 is being worked on to work with WiiU. Unity already works well. Frostbite would also likely work if some effort was put into it.

Ehhh

They would be better off selling it with an HDMI out Dock station or just putting an HDMI port on it.

Having it stream would be too risky in my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom