• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't see how any of it though is wishful.

Wishful in a way that there's nothing solid about DKR2 being in development but people clearly wishes it was. It would be pretty damn cool to have a DKR on the level of Mario Kart 8 though

Tevious

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried this, but they'd might as well do a Wii U revision if that was the case.

No matter what Nintendo does, they aren't gonna win back third parties for a long time (if ever). The damage has long since been done & was too extensive. It'll take multiple console generations to repair such relationships. And judging by their comments on them rather going out of business before going third party, they'll most likely stick to hardware until they close their doors.

I don't think these companies will hold a grudge. If Nintendo was serious about supporting 3rd parties and made it easy for them to put their games on their next console, then I don't see why they wouldn't. Also, I'm aware Nintendo says they won't go third party, but they're already going mobile. Things change and company survival will outlast their pride.

Bob White

NX basically a repackaged Wii U? Would that mean using the same dev tools that most of the industry didn't even attempt to bother with with the Wii U?

Nintendo can't be that stupid to make another system that devs have to bend over backwards to release shit on.

People would lose their shit if this was just another WiiU with some minor upgrades lol

Most of GAF loves the WiiU though dont they?

I think a lot of people came around once the big games hit and now only lament that it shot itself in the foot with the OS and Pricepoint out the gate

Hell the system is still a pain to use today.

If they gave it a second go by dropping the cost, fixing the OS, getting a solid account system in place and pumping out more of the quality games everyone loves on here?

I dunno man I dunno

I dont really NEED a second PS4/XB1/PC in the space

I would LOVE a reasonably powered and portable budget Nintendo machine though

So... he knows the software Retro Studios is working on and specifics about the next hardware?
Is he this Kevin Callahan? Do we have proof it's him?

His blog was made specifically for the rumor, it's otherwise completely empty, and he's making revenue from our visits. I don't really see any sign of credibility.

EDIT: Also this can't be serious.

oH34DMM.png

Neoxon

I don't think these companies will hold a grudge. If Nintendo was serious about supporting 3rd parties and made it easy for them to put their games on their next console, then I don't see why they wouldn't. Also, I'm aware Nintendo says they won't go third party, but they're already going mobile. Things change and company survival will outlast their pride.
Because the people who would want third party games are already cozy with the PS4 & the XB1, and trying to break into that market this late in the game would be like, as I said before, trying to break a vibranium wall with a rock. Plus western third parties have been through this many times, more recently with the Wii U, so I doubt they'll be willing to jump on board instantly (or ever). This is why I don't think western third parties are ever coming back. As for your third party Nintendo comment, Nintendo specifically said that they wouldn't do mobile gaming as a replacement for their usual dedicated gaming systems. In reality, they're doing both, so they weren't lying about that. A good chunk of Nintendo's revenue comes from their hardware sales and their royalties on software. The Wii U just recently became profitable (correct me if I'm wrong), & the 3DS has been doing pretty damn well.

If Nintendo makes NX as powerful as the X1, what do people expect to happen? It's not like third parties will start coming back to Nintendo like the good old days.

I don't even think Nintendo has used the Wii U to its full potential. Making similar hardware, selling it cheaply, and distancing themselves from Sony and Microsoft is the best thing for Nintendo to do, I think.

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that western third parties aren't ever coming back in any meaningful way.

The best thing Nintendo could do is release a family of systems with a unified architecture so that they can consolidate development resources, meaning their games can be played across the line of consoles they release. They should also incentivize the third party handheld devs they have to make sure their games are playable across the console line and they should continue the push they're making with indies.

A box with strong Nintendo and indie support, that also plays all your Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, Bravely Default, Virtues Last Reward, etc...coupled with a (hopefully) renewed interest in Virtual Console. This would be a big winner in my book.

Nugg

RUMOR: to avoid competition and minimize risks of failure, the NX will be sold for 17$ and will have all the games.

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that western third parties aren't ever coming back in any meaningful way.

The best thing Nintendo could do is release a family of systems with a unified architecture so that they can consolidate development resources, meaning their games can be played across the line of consoles they release. They should also incentivize the third party handheld devs they have to make sure their games are playable across the console line and they should continue the push they're making with indies.

A box with strong Nintendo and indie support, that also plays all your Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, Bravely Default, Virtues Last Reward, etc...coupled with a (hopefully) renewed interest in Virtual Console. This would be a big winner in my book.

Exactly

I think the naysayers aren't looking at this from the right perspective

I dont blame them though.... It IS Nintendo

Because the people who would want third party games are already cozy with the PS4 & the XB1, and trying to break into that market this late in the game would be like, as I said before, trying to break a vibranium wall with a rock. And Nintendo specifically said that they wouldn't do mobile gaming as a replacement for their usual dedicated gaming systems. In reality, they're doing both, so they weren't lying about that.
Yep, and I think Nintendo is aiming at the right direction. There is no point trying to compete with the $100-$200 mobile market or the $300+ console market, so make something in-between.

I don't believe this rumor, but unlike a lot of people here, I would be totally fine if NX is only a slightly more powerful Wii U. If NX is available in both a portable and a home console form and is able to play the same software, I really don't expect the home system to be very powerful. And if I'm able to play every game I purchase on both devices, that's ok with me.

Tabasco

Not happening.

And seriously, what's the point of Diddy Kong Racing at this point, with Mario Kart having characters from other franchises, underwater sections, gliders etc.?
DKR had different vehicles, a story mode, and its own set of unique characters. Also, the handling felt quite different than what you would expect from Mario Kart. The only thing comparable I think is that it has the same basic concept.

Come on now, how awesome would it be to get a new DKR game with updated graphics?

messiaen

Can't see this being real.

Only scenario that comes to mind is if they have a 2DS approach and make the tablet an optional accessory. But that sounds like suicide in itself.

I think the only issue I see is the 150 price point

Even if they somehow were able to strip down and upgrade the WiiU in the most efficient way possible

I just dont see how they could hit that point. No to mention they would have to tank The WiiU and 3DS at the same time

o_O

I mean if they wanted to make a bold stride and reboot and reimagine themselves this would do it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DKR had different vehicles, a story mode, and its own set of unique characters. Also, the handling felt quite different than what you would expect from Mario Kart. The only thing comparable I think is that it has the same basic concept.

Come on now, how awesome would it be to get a new DKR game with updated graphics?

Actually if NX was backwards compatible with Wii U, in part so that Nintendo didn't have to develop new expensive entries in series like Smash and Mario Kart right away, a new Diddy Kong would make a lot of sense.

It's a way to get a new kart racer out for that audience, while the important staff that works on Mario Kart is devoted to new NX games.

Sterok

Not that unbelievable for a handheld. Wii U power would be a bit on the high side, but I don't think it's impossible. $150 is way too little for a home console, so it's obviously not that.

Of course I don't see why any of this is credible, but that's a separate issue.

Most of GAF loves the WiiU though dont they?

I think a lot of people came around once the big games hit and now only lament that it shot itself in the foot with the OS and Pricepoint out the gate

Hell the system is still a pain to use today.

If they gave it a second go by dropping the cost, fixing the OS, getting a solid account system in place and pumping out more of the quality games everyone loves on here?

I dunno man I dunno

I dont really NEED a second PS4/XB1/PC in the space

I would LOVE a reasonably powered and portable budget Nintendo machine though

Do you need a slightly upgraded Wii U? Why on earth anyone would want the NX system to be another Wii U? People like the system but I also think it's agreed upon that Nintendo needs to shake things up A LOT more to get people excited again and making something like the New 3DS is to the normal 3DS would just piss off all the fans.

People will always want new and better.

Neoxon

Another thing, I doubt third parties would say positive things about another machine that's well under the PS4 & the XB1.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The rumor is being discussed all over the internet and this guy was considered legit before E3, when we talked about his DKR rumor in another topic. So i thought it was fine to post this and discuss it (even to dismiss it, you know). Also another guy apparently tweeted that he heard similar stuff about NX so there's that too, and if we're talking about handheld it's not that unreasonable in my opinion.

Then of course if mods think it's a rumor not worth discussing they can still lock the thread.

He also said this, though

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/615495330247901185

Rezae

Regardless of any validity to this rumor, I think a lot of people on here are delusional about Nintendo's place in the current market environment. They absolutely should not compete with the PS4/XB1 on a technical level.

If they can tinker a few things, clean up the UI, drop the gamepad, and release a new console in the $150 range, how is that not a solid decision? What's the alternative? Release a $300 console comparable in power to PS4/XB1 mid-gen whose horsepower will add additional development time to their 1st party titles that have always been more about art direction then pixel count anyway?

I'd love a mega powerful Nintendo console with Mario running on Unreal Engine 4 as much as the next guy, but it's not realistic and would be suicide. You have to assume the 3rd parties aren't coming back. Make an accessible and affordable console capable of meeting their 1st party needs.

amnesiac

Nintendo might make an underpowered console, but only if they felt they had a sufficient gimmick as a hook. And given this rumor says nothing to suggest any such thing, it can safely be considered bull (and for other reasons as well)

By the way, I don't think this rumor is true at all, but it does bring up interesting discussion about the power of the NX.

But let's say that the rumor is true, and Nintendo decides to release a slightly upgraded Wii U without a Gamepad.

Why should Nintendo release a console that is a lot more powerful than the Wii U? I don't think I've played any Wii U game and said, "damn, it's a real shame the Wii U is so underpowered" because all of the games look and play excellently on it. There are instances in games like SM3DW where the environments are bland and not really detailed, but that's a design decision. What I'm saying is, the games Nintendo tends to make don't really require hardware anywhere near the power of a "next gen" console.

The cheap price and perhaps a unified account system with a great Virtual Console system might be that great "hook" that the NX needs to have.

Neoxon

Do you need a slightly upgraded Wii U? Why on earth anyone would want the NX system to be another Wii U? People like the system but I also think it's agreed upon that Nintendo needs to shake things up A LOT more to get people excited again and making something like the New 3DS is to the normal 3DS would just piss off all the fans.

People will always want new and better.
But mid-generation? There's literally no point in trying to be the newer, better thing when everyone has already made their investments in their respective next-gen systems.

Not that unbelievable for a handheld. Wii U power would be a bit on the high side, but I don't think it's impossible. $150 is way too little for a home console, so it's obviously not that.

Of course I don't see why any of this is credible, but that's a separate issue.

I think the only thing that makes this credible in my mind is that its bold and disruptive

And somewhat plausible considering the market goals of the company... im realy torn though

I can say for certain they are NOT gonna compete in the High end Space that XB1 and PS4 occupies so throw that out the window guys

DNAbro

Regardless of any validity to this rumor, I think a lot of people on here are delusional about Nintendo's place in the current market environment. They absolutely should not compete with the PS4/XB1 on a technical level.

If they can tinker a few things, clean up the UI, drop the gamepad, and release a new console in the $150 range, how is that not a solid decision? What's the alternative? Release a $300 console comparable in power to PS4/XB1 mid-gen whose horsepower will add additional development time to their 1st party titles that have always been more about art direction then pixel count anyway?

I'd love a mega powerful Nintendo console with Mario running on Unreal Engine 4 as much as the next guy, but it's not realistic and would be suicide. You have to assume the 3rd parties aren't coming back. Make an accessible and affordable console capable of meeting their 1st party needs.

can they succeed with just their first party software though?

The source of the article is notorious when it comes to posting ridiculous, bombastic rumors for increased clicks. Don't fall for this.

Also, if it really is just a slightly updated Wii U, I'm done with Nintendo. Thank god this is just some fan's drivel.

kamakazi5

So... he knows the software Retro Studios is working on and specifics about the next hardware?
Is he this Kevin Callahan? Do we have proof it's him?

His blog was made specifically for the rumor, it's otherwise completely empty, and he's making revenue from our visits. I don't really see any sign of credibility.

EDIT: Also this can't be serious.

oH34DMM.png

That's not even Iwata it's a puppet!

Agreed.
Nintendo for the past decade has relied on a gimmick to sell their systems. 2/4 only worked. 3DS got saved by some fine third party exclusives.

Maybe the idea that they should focus on making a low cost console where you can play your existing library on is not a bad one.

YUP

Makes more sense for them to focus on their core market as well as entice families/mass market again.

Its that context that gives this rumor plausibility in my mind

Neoxon

The source of the article is notorious when it comes to posting ridiculous, bombastic rumors for increased clicks. Don't fall for this.

Also, if it really is just a slightly updated Wii U, I'm done with Nintendo. Thank god this is just some fan's drivel.
Think about it, Nintendo can't get the casuals back (mobile gaming), nor can they get the hardcore gamers back (PS4/XB1). Might as well make a Nintendo box with a price that makes it an impulse buy & a definitive second system for any gamer. And it's not like most third parties are ever gonna return to Nintendo.

can they succeed with just their first party software though?

Absolutely

And if they narrow the focus down by stripping away the fluff? Fill in the gaps with Amiibo, Mobile and other iniatives

They wont even need to play in the same space as the others and honestly dont need to in the Budget/Mass market space

By the way, I don't think this rumor is true at all, but it does bring up interesting discussion about the power of the NX.

But let's say that the rumor is true, and Nintendo decides to release a slightly upgraded Wii U without a Gamepad.

Why should Nintendo release a console that is a lot more powerful than the Wii U? I don't think I've played any Wii U game and said, "damn, it's a real shame the Wii U is so underpowered" because all of the games look and play excellently on it. There are instances in games like SM3DW where the environments are bland and not really detailed, but that's a design decision. What I'm saying is, the games Nintendo tends to make don't really require hardware anywhere near the power of a "next gen" console.

The cheap price and perhaps a unified account system with a great Virtual Console system might be that great "hook" that the NX needs to have.
again being underpowered is possible, but not if they have no gimmick. Nintendo's MO is all about doing something new. They're never going to release a slightly highered specked version of the wii u that's closer to a traditional console as their next console. The idea is ludicrous

farisr

The Diddy Kong Racing 2 project was moved over to new hardware that will be launched in 2016. The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

LOL.

javac

The article is bull, but I can actually see the NX being in essence a 'New Wi U' with a totally different exterior, marketing and name, no gamepad and all that but basically the same innards just a bit beefier and around that $150 price range. Nintendo games look great as is, its mid gen and price is a massive barrier for Nintendo.

Tanoooki

150 USD for a system more powerful than the Wii U?! Too good to be true, it would sell millions of units at that price point but there's now way they could make a system for that cheap.

The article is bull, but I can actually see the NX being in essence a 'New Wi U' with a totally different exterior, marketing and name, no gamepad and all that but basically the same innards just a bit beefier and around that $150 price range. Nintendo games look great as is, its mid gen and price is a massive barrier for Nintendo.
You clearly don't understand how Nintendo operates at all

again being underpowered is possible, but not if they have no gimmick. Nintendo's MO is all about doing something new. They're never going to release a slightly highered specked version of the wii u that's closer to a traditional console as their next console. The idea is ludicrous

Well the gimmick would be the portable hybrid stuff right?

They might even take the VALUE angle.

If its backwards compatible with everything that came before? You would have the definitive Nintendo experience at a dirt cheap price point

If they nail the OS/Account/Features? You would see this thing in damn near every home and it would even be a tough decision for most people

Neoxon

150 USD for a system more powerful than the Wii U?! Too good to be true, it would sell millions of units at that price point but there's now way they could make a system for that cheap.
The rumor suggests that the NX basically just a modified Wii U (think the Wii to the GameCube), so the price wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah I do not believe these rumors, Nintendo has to make a console on par or better than the XB1 of PS4 if they want to court 3rd party publishers. I am just worried on what they will do with the Wii U Pad because I want some BC with the NX.

The rumor suggests that the NX basically just a modified Wii U (think the Wii to the GameCube)., so the price wouldn't surprise me.

If you were going to take a massive risk you mind as well make it cheap lol

I see how this could work and it excites me but....

I dunno man!

Yeah I do not believe these rumors, Nintendo has to make a console on par or better than the XB1 of PS4 if they want to court 3rd party publishers. I am just worried on what they will do with the Wii U Pad because I want some BC with the NX.

That is such an old argument. Install base and low cost/easy development courts 3rd parties

You can either Mass Hype like Sony did or you can come in CHEAP

Which path makes more sense for Nintendo?

Well the gimmick would be the portable hybrid stuff right?

They might even take the VALUE angle.

If its backwards compatible with everything that came before? You would have the definitive Nintendo experience at a dirt cheap price point

If they nail the OS/Account/Features? You would see this thing in damn near every home and it would even be a tough decision for most people
perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the rumor at hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom