• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What whispers about resolution?

There was a thread here not too long ago where a member - fairly trustworthy, IIRC, and who had previously been on the mark about Wii U specs - gave a hint toward screen resolution in response to speculation about future handhelds. The implication was that prelim specs for a future handheld platform were already doing the rounds in some form.

EDIT:

I see mpl90 posted the quote. You'd have to read the thread for full context, but my takeaway was higher than 480p but lower than the kind of 1080p/Retina level a handful of people were hoping for - possibly around the qHD of Vita?

Kevin Callahan, the guy behind the original Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour, is at it again and says that the sequel is now in development for the NX. Callahan says Nintendo is aiming at launching the NX for $149.99.

giphy.gif

so NX will just be a stronger Wii U without a Gamepad? Seems like the Nintendo thing to do.

Surely none of this is true, though.

If (but likely fake) this rumor has any truth, it would be a handheld. However, the New 3DS costs $199 so having a brand new console only cost $149 and be more powerful than Wii U doesn't make any sense.

schaft0620

I am sure its fake buuuutt....If Nintendo launches a console for less than $300 that probably means it can't keep up with the newer consoles unless... its entirely cloud based.

Seriously, why is anyone here treating this as the least bit credible? It's a leaker without any credibility using their full goddamn name to spread a baseless rumor. Regardless of what the NX ends up being, this whole rumor is clearly bullshit

Tadie

Ahahaha just "no"..........

Nonetheless I think Nintendo could be stupid enough to release a weak console again and again and again......

Resolution will depend on the actual size of the screen, at some point you lose returns on PPI unless the device is built for reading small text.
Yeah, 5 inches or less 540p would not be a big deal. Tablet sized though, 720p should be a standard.

I am just going with the assumption that the rumor is pointing toward a portable Wii U, so using the Gamepad size as a reference.

Guys I dunno.

An upgraded WiiU minus the fluff at 150?

I love that idea. Cut the fluff, get a solid account system in places and keep backwards compatibility.

Could be the market reset Nintendo needs

Gaf keeps pumping how great WiiU software is. Pump that up a bit, get the barriers out of the damn way....

Could be an excellent slot to fill.

Calling it: The NX will be a New 3DS-like take on the Wii U (enhanced internals) and will come WITHOUT the Game Pad to drive the price down to impulse buy status, but will still support it for BC and people looking to upgrade.

I would TOTALLY be down with that.

big_z

cant be based on the wii u because nx is arm based.

Nintendo wouldn't reuse gamecube based hardware again anyways. That tech is defunct at this point.

Maybe they realized that people who buy Nintendo consoles pretty much only buy Nintendo games so they can subsidize the console and make back their money through software?

I BELIEVE.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While this probably not true, it is written to fit with the idea of Nintendo just plain making a Nintendo Box that's super cheap.

Being a Wii U with a stronger CPU would enrage some fans who want to see Nintendo games on PS4 hardware. On the other hand, the Wii U kind of proves that HD Nintendo games are mostly fine on a box built just to Nintendo's specifications.

The only thing that hurts some first-party Wii U games is the slow CPU; if every single first-party published game ran at 1080p and a solid 30fps or a solid 60fps Wii U would basically be the perfect Ninendo device for the kind of games Nintendo makes.

Mr Swine

Banned
I really don't see the problem with this. Why is Nintendo going to invest money on creating a console with Xbone/PS4 specs when they will be more or less the only ones making games for it?

Kouichi

Calling it: The NX will be a New 3DS-like take on the Wii U (enhanced internals) and will come WITHOUT the Game Pad to drive the price down to impulse buy status, but will still support it for BC and people looking to upgrade.

I would TOTALLY be down with that.

I'd be down for this too.

AmFreak

About as much as would change from any hardware change?

A normal console successor brings hardware changes that are visible. More bandwidth and a little faster cpu will basically do nothing. What would be the point in killing their 10 million WiiU base for like nothing?
The Wii had the motion controls. Without a new "gimmick" it just doesn't make any sense.

Zubz

Banned
Is this Kevin Callahan the same "Diddy Kong Racing with Secondary Characters" guy? I actually believed that rumor... Although I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to release a new system for dangerously cheap with less processing power than the Wii U, I really doubt this rumor. Which sucks, because I loved his first rumor's concept for a Diddy Kong Racing sequel with lesser characters!

If Nintendo was going to create a wii u without a gamepad, they'd call it a Wii U revision, not a new console. I'm sure someone will bring up the wii and "two gamecubes ducktaped together", but the Wii did what it did on the strength of it's gimmick. A gimmickless wii U wouldn't be branded as a new console

Trago

$150, not trying to compete with the current consoles....and third party reception was positive?!

I'm calling bullshit.

RPGamer92

Banned
The only problem if this is a Wii U w/o the gamepad is how will Wii U games with no pro-controller support work? Will Nintendo release a patch to make them all work? Seems like a lot of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom