• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2 Is Apparently Being Developed For The NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

$50 too expensive.

This.

Even though I'm sure you're being facetious people will find reasons not to buy a Nintendo console despite wanting the games.

Nintendo has to go real big to make a console people have a harder time saying no to, right now "lolgamepad" is an easy out for people looking to walk in and complain

ignata

Is it feasible that a console more powerful than the Wii U could come out and be priced cheaper than it? I understand the Game Pad accounts for a big portion of the cost of that system, but if that's the case, I feel it would be more consumer friendly to just have a pad-less version of the Wii U at a lower cost.

I love how the source is a guy who started a similar rumor a year ago, and how there's nothing about it that gives it any credibility in the first place. Seriously, MNN posts literally any rumor it finds regardless of credibility. Any rumor the ypost should be taken with a grain of salt

McHuj

Wouldn't be a price issue if the value was there.

I agree. But I think that's a problem for Nintendo. They're sandwiched between X1/PS4 and mobile so they have to carve out their niche as they can't compete with either directly.

zoodoo

Even if there was a Diddy Kong Racing 2, I'm really not sure I necessarily see it coming from Retro. If it is, then kudos (pun not intended!) to them for not sticking with the comfortable genres.

I'd say they are not sticking with the comfortable genres already. From Metroid Prime to Donkey Kong, they are pretty different games

On topic, 149.99 would be a nice price and would probably be attractive to a lot of people but I am still calling it fake

nakedeyes

Banned
If true this is mega disappointing. I don't see much reason to believe any of this though.
Um. Nintendo reusing hardware with the GameCube->Wii isn't a good enough reason?

They have a track record of doing this. I am really hoping this is not the case myself, but it seems feasible

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The main thing I get from this is that the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors are complete lies.

This.

Even though I'm sure you're being facetious people will find reasons not to buy a Nintendo console despite wanting the games.

Nintendo has to go real big to make a console people have a harder time saying no to, right now "lolgamepad" is an easy out for people looking to walk in and complain

"Even though the graphics are on par with the PS4 and it has the normal gamepad there isn't enough Mature experiences and too many Mario games for my liking, so I think it's a bad console."

-Average Joe who dislikes Nintendo already and will continue to dislike them reviews the NX.

Actually, the more I think about this - take away the tablet controller from the Wii U.

What's the cost of the system without that expensive thing?

It legit would be $200 or $150 for us to buy more than likely.

Richie

This.

Have they lost THAT much mindshare? $150 for a home console on launch is impulse buy territory from where I stand.

Nintendo wouldn't even need to do any R&D. Just lower wii u price to 149.99 and call it the NX. hahaahah

And they could have just added motion controls to the GC, if they really wanted too, it's a new product with a new push, new ideas, and shitty hardware just like the wii and wiiu.

Xater

I love how the source is a guy who started a similar rumor a year ago, and how there's nothing about it that gives it any credibility in the first place. Seriously, MNN posts literally any rumor it finds regardless of credibility. Any rumor the ypost should be taken with a grain of salt

More like a salt mine.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah that cannot be true. Nintendo would upgrade a bit hopefuly... I mean, yes their games look stunning on the Wii U, but they need to stay on par with the other consoles..

Whatever Nintendo's next console is, it won't be a big leap over the Wii U in terms of power. They will focus on making it affordable and easy to develop for.

Crayolan

Callahan says Nintendo is aiming at launching the NX for $149.99.

56102361.jpg

ksamedi

I don't think its inplausible for them to launch at 150. I think they will have different SKU's that play the same games with different prices. I think with the approach they are taking they will have a lot of flexibility in this. And I do believe the NX will have a Wii U architecture, as Iwata nearly litteraly said in in the Q&A's and the hardware guys are pretty fond of the architecture design as well going from previous interviews.

Now I'm not saying I believe this rumor, but it does make sense to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Iwata was adamant that pricing was a major problem with Wii U.

Nintendo knows they can't compete with PS4/XB1.

Cheap pricepoint puts it into impulse buy "secondary console" territory, especially with good launch games. Don't be shocked if Nintendo goes this way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With all those stability updates I doubt you could ever have a more balanced CPU than the Wii U's.

I hope they don't refer to that Diddy Kong Racing fanfiction which involved Nintendo supposedly negotiating with Rare for IPs and other shit, lol. Probably gaining trust among the naive because the writer picked up that Monster Games are known for racing games and were involved in DK (not even guessing that beforehand, just stating the fact after we already knew it). Well, it probably is the same guy, considering that this new ,,rumour'' again just sounds like someone's next gen fanfiction.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm sure this is BS, but people, it's time to set your NX expectations realistically. It's not gonna be a powerhouse. The power description in this rumor is exactly the kind of thing you should get comfortable with now.

Lernaean

Banned
I know where they pulled that rumor from, but my manners don't allow me to say.

In the meantime I can't stop laughing.

Honestly the only believable part of the rumor is the price.

Because a history of the pricing...
  • NES - $100
  • SNES - $200
  • N64 - $200
  • Gamecube - $200
  • Wii - $250
  • Wii U - $300

I can see them going back to the $200 pricetag.

The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

The company should also fear that it would be market suicide to release another overly outdated nad underpowered box in the middle of a console generation, when most developers and publishers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One ...

At least try to put something 'on par' with the Xbone on the table. Even if it means you have to launch at €199 - 249, you're still €150-200 cheaper that the competition.

So is this the video game version of Apocalypse predictions? Make up a rumour, and extended it with more made-up things in order to explain why the original rumour hasn't panned out yet.

amnesiac

Has Nintendo even used the Wii U's power to its full potential?

Not sure their next-gen system should be comparable to the X1/PS4. Power isn't enough to draw third parties in.

Distancing themselves and creating a cheap alternative console is the way to go for Nintendo, I think.

Pachimari

Unseen64 is also tweeting about having heard the same stuff about NX from their own sources.

That said, I don't believe it either.

SerTapTap

Yeah that cannot be true. Nintendo would upgrade a bit hopefuly... I mean, yes their games look stunning on the Wii U, but they need to stay on par with the other consoles..

Well that and I actually own a Wii U...I really don't want to be in another Wii situation where I'm paying for a controller and the permission to access your new library. If the NX were a rebadged Wii U that's just kind of a huge fuck you to everyone who owns one.

...also this would be cheaper than the 3DS. They'll target cheap but I really don't see <$200 happening. I frankly don't want it to happen, Wii U games can look great but they'd look greater at 1080/anti-aliased. Any artstyle benefits from better IQ.

Has Nintendo even used the Wii U's power to its full potential?

Not sure their next-gen system should be comparable to the X1/PS4. Power isn't enough to draw third parties in.

Distancing themselves and creating a cheap alternative console is the way to go for Nintendo, I think.

I haven't seen the visual quality leap that PS3 games had, granted Nintendo doesn't tend to do that (prime 1-> Prime 2 is pretty sweet though). I'm not sure there will be a "full potential" beyond maybe Zelda which does look pretty great.

besides Diddy Kong Racing 2 being a thing that exists everything about this sounds awful so I'm sure it's 100% true at this point

Jackano

The fact that the price tag rumor, which should be the bigger news, is depicted as a sub point, sounds like the whole thing is a fake. If there was still a need to write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom