• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Right now, the only stuff I'm sure of for my list are Shirobako, Yuri Kuma Arashi, Euphonium, and Baby Steps.

I'd be happy with a win for either Shirobako or Yuri Kuma.

You're forgetting the end of Tomino-sama's masterpiece that aired this year? For shame.

I want Yurikuma and Eupho to place high because they absolutely deserve it.

Quasar

Eh, I am nearly 100% certain that Gate goes to shit later. I don't feel bad about jumping in and out. I might as well enjoy the stupid before it gets downright offensively stupid.

I keep wondering when its supposed to happen. I've read most of the manga and it still hasn't. But then I've also yet to be offended by Prison School.

Yeah, y'all crazy. Even the last arc of the manga wasn't very strong but it was still pretty darn good. The manga/anime can do some dumb stuff on occasion but it's never straight up bad or awful.

And goth loli War Maiden is the best character. I give her a free pass.

Also glad to hear that MC got his grope on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki

LOL at the ending song images changing after this episode
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Mailbox

Ok, that was weird.

Not because of what was in the episode, but because I feel like i should be able to start liking this show later.

Unfortunately it does the one thing I absolutely hate in anime. Infodump hamfisted first episodes.

seriously, the name-dropping and terrible use of info dump almost always makes me feel confused and frustrated when starting a series, and even if the series is amazing, that initial bitter feeling never goes away and it feels wrong.

I get the
Vertex stuff, just not the familiars and weird app stuff,
but there's some serious problems with conveyance here. WTF is
the Shinju
? and why does everyone take everything at face value without questioning everything from Fuu.

I'm sure this show gets better, and I intend to finish it, but damn if this first episode didn't frustrate me.

blurr

Yea, the first episode isn't very impressive but it gets better later on. You'll grow to like them and the SoL bits are really good.

Mailbox

Is God Eater anime worth checking out?

Artistically, its very interesting, even if the animation doesn't hold up.
That said, if there is something else on your backlog, go with that instead

Yea, the first episode isn't very impressive but it gets better later on. You'll grow to like them and the SoL bits are really good.

but seriously i feel like i should know what
Shinju
is, but i don't...

Mailbox

You know that when the show first aired that WAS the first episode?

As someone who watched it in broadcast order...

DO NOT WATCH IT IN BROADCAST ORDER.
(basically, his point still stands, and broadcast order makes the show feel like crap. I need to rewatch haruhi to get a decent impression, but because of broadcast order, i don't like it one bit.)

Started the second episode of Yuki Yuna (i'll probably end up finishing the series by tomorrow), but this really feels like
evangelion if every character was talking about the human instrumentality project and SEELE every second sentence w/o explaining shit.

Kenstar

You know that when the show first aired that WAS the first episode?

yes I remember watching the 100mb vomit-yellow hardsub .RMVB files of yesteryear with the sponsor intro's left in after the OP's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHE1GMuLyI

It would be like STOPPING there and wondering what the big deal is, never getting to the espers/reality-warping/Cyber kuudere/Psycho Inchou/Kyon-kun denwa/Endless 8/Mystery island w/ Ace Attorney References/hare hare yukai mania

ibyea

Banned
As someone who watched it in broadcast order...

DO NOT WATCH IT IN BROADCAST ORDER.
(basically, his point still stands, and broadcast order makes the show feel like crap. I need to rewatch haruhi to get a decent impression, but because of broadcast order, i don't like it one bit.)

Why would you do that to yourself? D:

Mailbox

Why would you do that to yourself? D:

Thats the order crunchyroll had it at the time.
I had no idea.

But seriously, getting through haruhi in broadcast order was a damn slog (especially since I binge watch).

I hope whenever i do a rewatch, it'll be better.

kewlmyc

Is God Eater anime worth checking out?
Might as well, there's only 4 episodes.

Also, I really hope you guys are wrong about GATE going to shit later on. It's probably my favorite anime of the season right now. It's propaganda but most stories with military as the good guys are. It's just this is on the Japanese side of things now.

convo

Eh, I am nearly 100% certain that Gate goes to shit later. I don't feel bad about jumping in and out. I might as well enjoy the stupid before it gets downright offensively stupid.

The thing i wanted to see from this was middle earth getting it's ass handed to it hard, and i will get some of that but not enough since the defense force is a defense force and not an army that supposed to invade. The shows priorities are not in my wishes favor right now. But Nippon too stronk though. I still look forward to seeing certain characters getting blown the fuck out, like really hard but i haven't read that far ahead.

Razmos

I HATED Yuuki Yuuna's ending. hated it.

Symphogear GX episode 9: LOL
I really liked the "Philosophical Weapon" concept, but it was awfully convenient considering she was fighting the two characters who not only use a sword but one of them actually calls herself a sword and a tool.
Hopefully Tsubasa's "i'm not a sword" thing here will make her a more interesting character going forward because lord she's boring.

I guess one way to make her less boring is to reveal
she was born out of incest
lmao

Shirabe is putting in WORK, goddamn. She just destroyed a damn relic.

Not sure how I feel about the twist at the end. On one hand (lol) it was glorious and unexpected and my jaw dropped. On the other hand
he was a shitty character

GATE 9
The ridiculousness of the propaganda for the JSDF is continuing to making enjoyable. I'm pretty the scene at the end is going to be a fake out but it doesn't really reduce the awkwardness.

Ghizz

Any good anime? Been out of the loop for awhile... checked out GATE 1-7 and was am not too impressed....Saw someone say that chaos dragon is not worth checking out...any other cool/shounen/action/mindfuck , not-slice-of-life stuff?

Any good anime? Been out of the loop for awhile... checked out GATE 1-7 and was am not too impressed....Saw someone say that chaos dragon is not worth checking out...any other cool/shounen/action/mindfuck , not-slice-of-life stuff?

If you want a good old 90's throwback anime, checkout Ushio and Tora.

2766528-6199162708-tumbl.gif

If you want some a dark medieval action show, with designs that are straight out of Dark Souls and Berserk, and don't might CG, check out Garo The Animated Series.

tumblr_nd4vnunHbO1rbrys3o1_500.gif

phaze

I found them both weak but both Gangsta and Ushio to Tora seem to have garnered fairly positive reception from segments of this thread.

Mailbox

Yeah....

The biggest problem with this show is that it just doesn't know how it wants to handle itself. Some of the drama parts are good (that flashback with the Neir-esque music was ace (made me want a Neir-like anime... T_T ) )
The slice of life bits are done nicely.

But they don't really mix. The drama parts are almost always about Fuu and how she sees the situation, but nothing is used as a base for that. There is nothing to suggest that anyone is having any affect from this whole hero thing other than Fuu which just makes her seem like she's needlessly worrying rather than actually troubled.

Not sure how gaf would find me saying this, but for the first for episodes respectively, i enjoyed devil survivor 2 more than this.

Exalted

Rokka
Overlord
God Eater
Shimoneta

blurr

Well, it all comes down to expectation and reality, when someone suggests a show saying its good/perfect/mind blowing/above average/impressive, watch it but with no expectation. Yuuki Yuuna may not be flawless but it has like-able characters, good SoL bits and nice drama (which comes in later on).

Damn, how is Garo The Animated Series in terms of story and pacing? don't mind CG and it looks rad, I'm interested in dark fantasy :0

Damn, how is Garo The Animated Series in terms of story and pacing? don't mind CG and it looks rad, I'm interested in dark fantasy :0

Story wise, it's a mix between a warrior's tale and about growing into an adult. (The latter in a more metaphorical sense.) Pacing wise, it has some standalone episodes, but I would characterize the pace as very methodical otherwise. I wouldn't say it ever drags, but that I might be because I really liked the characters.

Mailbox

Well, it all comes down to expectation and reality, when someone suggests a show saying its good/perfect/mind blowing/above average/impressive, watch it but with no expectation. Yuuki Yuuna may not be flawless but it has like-able characters, good SoL bits and nice drama (which comes in later on).

i get that, but i actually had no expectations coming in. I just heard some gaffers saying it was good, but i didn't know the plot or the genre or anything. idk

blurr

If you didn't have any expectation, the next in line is what you value most in a show, is it the drama, the characters, the action or the story.

Yuuki Yuuna gets the ticks in what I regard important to a show(which I mentioned in a post right above yours :p) so I quite liked it but despite that I don't regard it as flawless by any means, it could've been better but I liked what it did.

(DAT feeling when hearing them chant the 5 tenets of Hero club)

Mailbox

If you didn't have any expectation, the next in line is what you value most in a show, is it the drama, the characters, the action or the story.

Yuuki Yuuna gets the ticks in what I regard important to a show(which I mentioned in a post right above yours :p) so I quite liked it but despite that I don't regard it as flawless by any means, it could've been better but I liked what it did.

Oh, i'm not knocking you for liking it.
It just feels to me that so far (up to episode 5) the show has a lot of good (but not quite great) parts that just don't mix well together (kinda resulting in a show that is less than the sum of its parts)

on to the second half, hope it gets better

blurr

Oh, i'm not knocking you for liking it.
It just feels to me that so far (up to episode 5) the show has a lot of good (but not quite great) parts that just don't mix well together (kinda resulting in a show that is less than the sum of its parts)

on to the second half, hope it gets better

Yea, I was just giving you a gist of what I liked about it and why. Not that I took a jab from you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Wake Up Girls Zoo.

Cool ✓ (by far the coolest show of the year)
Shounen ✓ (it appeals to all demographics)
action ✓ (plenty)
mindfuck ✓ (in spades)

javac

So I just got done watching ten episodes of City Hunter 2 last night, yes the show is that good, I couldn’t stop watching and had to literally force myself away from the screen in order to stop for the night. Kicking things off is Episode 7. Both Ryo and Kaori head off to a remote island for a job that they’ve received. Turns out that a girl lives by herself on the island, but due to the riches that exist on the island people want to force her off of the island so they can keep everything for themselves. Right off the bat they try to sabotage Ryo and Kaori’s journey to the island by destroying their plane, but that won’t stop them. In the end it’s a very funny episode in which Ryo is forced to live a peaceful and quiet life for a few days, away from any sort of stimulation which drives him mad. Even when he’s alone on an island with a girl he still fails to get any mokkori. Also, half way through the episode, the show turns into what Kaori dubs a gourmet manga as they fall in love with the girls cooking.
In Episode 8 a mokkori babe forces Ryo to pretend to be her boyfriend when meeting up with her father, the classic setup. As the father questions Ryo in regards to his life and job, he makes up anything he can on the spot, further digging himself into a hole including telling the father that he’s a detective that works for the metropolitan police, and like that he’s a policeman for the day. He gets the help of his friend, Saeko a police officer herself, and having racked up reams of IOU’s for Ryo due to the many times he’s helped her out only to get the cold shoulder, she is used in order to help get him into the police force in order to show the father around the station. Ryo also manages to ‘borrow’ a police car however when a dispatcher asks for assistance, Ryo has to respond to the crime scene in order to prove himself.
Saeko takes a day off in order to go out on a date with Ryo in Episode 9 but he doesn’t buy it, she has to be planning something! Apparently she’s not bluffing, but while going for a cruise, she spots an important suspect and like that she’s back in detective mode, following the car. The suspect figures out that he’s being chased and thus speeds off in order to lose her, but as she pursues at high speeds she’s pulled over for speeding. Since it’s her day off and she doesn’t have her ID on her, and since her suspect is getting away she dumps Ryo onto the police woman. She’s pretty cute but also innocent and oblivious to all of Ryo’s moves. Meanwhile, Kaori buys a designer coat for herself and is super happy, but the next morning Ryo is awoken to shrieking as she finds out that she’s purchased a forgery. Maybe the suspect Saeko was after earlier is behind the fakes? Episode 9 is another hilarious episode that features a lot of sexy vehicles, cute girls and many great moments all around and a pleasure to watch as always.
The next episode is split into two parts, a trend that I’ve noticed a lot thus far in City Hunter 2. Episode 10 revolves around a princess and her lady-in-waiting. They’ve come to visit Japan but go missing, so when they call Ryo for help he’s surprised. When he arrives at the place they told him to meet up, he comes face to face with a beautiful lady, however it turns out at the little girl accompanying her is in fact the princess and the beautiful lady, Salina is the servant. Regardless, Ryo wants to have some Mokkori time with Salina, but when the princess offers him his very own harem on the condition that he can’t do anything to Salina, he’s put into a tough spot. As time goes on however it becomes clear that they have feelings for each other. Of course it wouldn’t be a City Hunter episode without some bad guys and as such they’re after the princess. While Ryo and Salina are taking a stroll in the park they the bad guys decide to attack but as always they’re no match for the mighty Ryo. In order to keep Ryo off of Salina, the little girl tricks him into thinking that Salina is a man so when she casually approaches him he of course runs off. Salina figures out what they did and pretty much breaks down and cry’s as she admits that she’s fallen in love with Ryo and the idea that he thinks that she’s a man embarrasses her. It’s a really good episode with lots of funny moments as well as emotional moments that put a few tears in my eyes. Episode 10 is a beautiful episode for sure.
Episode 11 continues where the last one left, with Salina running off. Turns out that Salina was the princess after all and the reason that she and the little girl ran off was so she could relax and enjoy life a bit. The little girl admits that she played a prank on Ryo, admitting that the princess is a lady, and Ryo runs after her where she confesses her love to him, well almost. It gets emotional as she hugs him, which is when Ryo gets some perverted ideas. One look at his perverted expression and the princess decides to confess later. While this is all going on, both Kaori and the little girl are ambushed and the little girl is kidnapped and taken hostage and so the princess, Kaori and Ryo go to rescue her. In the end, the princess decides to go on a date with Ryo before she heads back to her home country. Surprisingly Ryo actually manages to be romantic and the whole thing is emotional. In the end, nobody told him that she was in fact the princess, but deep down Ryo knew, but he decided to treat her just like an ordinary woman, something she obviously values and appreciates. Two fantastic episodes that had me laughing, upset, and just engaged the whole way through. These two episodes really embody the heart, soul and essence of City Hunter.
Episode 12 follows a professional female wrestler who is harassed by a bunch of Yakuza who want her to lose in the next match since they’ve put a lot of money on the bout. At first she objects to Ryo being her bodyguard as she’s tough enough to look after herself, and doesn’t need a mokkori pervert looking after her, however by the end she realizes that Ryo means well and just wants to see her smile again.
Ryo has some toothaches in Episode 13, but having a huge fear of dentists he decides to sort it out himself with an elaborate trap, however it fails. Just the sight or sound of any dental apparatus sends him into a frenzy. Kaori drags him to the dentist but when he finds out that the dentist is cute, he endures the procedure. Anything for a little Mokkori. Prior to Ryo turning up at the dentist, another man was getting a crown removed; however this is no ordinary crown as it contains a microchip inside of it. The dentist drops it my mistake and when the man becomes impatient, she hands him a random crown from the drawer in order to usher him away. The man later finds out and wants his crown back and so he targets the dentist, but luckily Ryo is there in order to protect her, however since she’s so cute, Kaori has to also protect her from his Mokkori ways.
Episode 14 features a girl who makes men pay her for everything, valuing money over anything else. She goes on a date with Ryo, he touches her shoulder twice, her back three times and holds her hand briefly, 2650 Yen please! An old man hires three womanizers in order to gain her love as the ultimate proof that they should inherit his business. As the episode goes on each one of them fails and Ryo figures out the heart-breaking truth as to why she values money over everything else, and in doing so gains her love and trust.
In Episode 15, the daughter of Umibozu’s deceased partner comes back in order to kill him. She believes that Umibozu is to blame for her father’s death and has been training for the last 8 years in order to kill him. Umibozu asks Ryo to look after her since he cares for her, but no matter how much they try to explain that Umibozu is innocent she doesn’t want to listen, but Umibozu himself doesn’t mind, as long as the daughter of his friend is at peace once she kills him, he’s fine.
Episode 16 continues and concludes this story as the girl; Katherine discovers the truth and finds the true culprit of the murder of her father all those years ago with the help of Umibozu. In the end, these were two great episodes that were both tense and enthralling.
Although I watched 10 episodes, there’s still plenty more to go, and as always I can’t wait to watch more. Not a dull moment goes by in City Hunter and I’m constantly laughing, smiling and just downright excited. MOKKORI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom