• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This just hit me. My mom is the worst possible media consumption console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qassim

My TV goes through the Xbox, the Kinect controls my TV's volume which can be controlled with a nice, small convenient media remote that isn't the stupid, large ridiculous gamepad that'll need charging frequently. The Xbox also turns my TV off when I'm done.

The WiiU has an inferior app selection.

Off-screen play I can use the smartglass app on one of the variety of devices I have to stream my TV to, not just the gamepad with its ugly screen, but other devices which aren't as big and bulky.

Having to rely on a web browser on a console media consumption device is hardly what I'd call optimal.

The WiiU is a piece of shit to use, the OS is terrible, my Xbox One updates everything including firmware automatically without me even needing to see an install screen for firmware. It's one thing to have to put up with the turd the WiiU is in order to play a game, but having to put up with it for passive media consumption? I couldn't do that - I'd have smashed that stupid gamepad long ago.

The WiiU isn't even the third best console under my TV for media consumption and it'd be my last option when taking into consideration the other media devices connected to my TV.

bomblord1

Banned
I have a Wii u, but I use my ps4 for streaming and use my tablet for "off-tv" things like web browser and you tube, netflix and amazon.

If you don't have good tablet, then the Wii u has something to offer. But I think even cheap Tablets can provide a better experience than the Wii u Tab
With chromecast you probably can most of the stuff with your tablet

I personally own both Nexus 7's a 6" phone and a surface pro 3.

My TV goes through the Xbox, the Kinect controls my TV's volume which can be controlled with a nice, small convenient media remote that isn't the stupid, large ridiculous gamepad that'll need charging frequently. The Xbox also turns my TV off when I'm done.

The WiiU has an inferior app selection.

Off-screen play I can use the smartglass app on one of the variety of devices I have to stream my TV to, not just the gamepad with its ugly screen, but other devices which aren't as big and bulky.

Having to rely on a web browser on a console media consumption device is hardly what I'd call optimal.

The WiiU is a piece of shit to use, the OS is terrible, my Xbox One updates everything including firmware automatically without me even needing to see an install screen for firmware. It's one thing to have to put up with the turd the WiiU is in order to play a game, but having to put up with it for passive media consumption? I couldn't do that - I'd have smashed that stupid gamepad long ago.

The WiiU isn't even the third best console under my TV for media consumption and it'd be my last option when taking into consideration the other media devices connected to my TV.

I own an Xbone and the OS on that is just bad it freezes all the time and apps frequently crash or refuse to boot at all. Have to disagree strongly about it being a better for streaming especially considering you need to buy and use a separate buttonless device to get the full experience.

If it's one thing the Wii U exceeds at, streaming is so much better than the PS4 for me. I miss how easy it is to get a video going. The PS4 browser is so clunky and the HTML5 abilities of the Wii U make it a much better experience. I don't think I had to make one change to the settings on the Plex web app on the U but I constantly have to fiddle with it on the PS4 where certain files won't work.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's so far from the perfect media consumption device it can't even play optical media.

It has fewer apps, very limited potential for future services to be added to the device, and I don't think it even supports USB media playback.

The fact they wanted to cheap out an use a proprietary bluray makes it far from the perfect device for media consumption. The NX better use the current standard.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
some people still use dvds and blurays?

LOL

My library may not be the size of Netflix's, but it is tailored to my interests and its not going to go away unexpectedly due to a license expiration or internet outage.

Amazon and Netflix are fine for me for the most part, but having no profiles sucks ass since my sister uses the app alot which ends up cluttering her suggestions with mine.

This is some bullcrap right here. I mean, it's in the Wii version, WTF?!?

I was going to try using the Netflixapp through a separate WiiU user, to see if I could point it to a separate Netlix user that way, but of course each user has to have a unique Nintendo Network ID to use Netflix. And that unique ID is tied forever to the console, so I was like "well, I'm don't want to use my main, formerly Club Nintendo, email and fuck it up"...

And that's the story of how my family gave up on the WiiU Netflix app and kept using the shitty one on the Sony Blu-Ray player, or even worse the SD one on the Wii, just because it's easier and makes more sense.

Though Youtube is amazing on Wii U mainly for the tablet keyboard.

It really is surprisingly good. Not even a YouTube app at all anymore for Vita. :mad:

Something been on my mind recently. And that's how perfect the wiiU is as a media consumption device. Specifically referring to it's use in watching online TV. Microsoft may have marketed the Xbox One as the "TV" device but the wiiU is the cord cutters console IMHO.

Why is that? Well the reasons are simple.

1. The controller is the remote.

The wiiU's handy dandy TV button let's you use your gamepad as a universal remote and turn the tv up and down, change channels, and power on and off without ever letting your hands leave the controllers. You can then launch your apps with the same device no switching.

2. Support for the "Big 3".

Amazon, Hulu, and Neftlix. Between these 3 services you basically can watch every big TV series and movie ever conceived. It also has Crunchyroll for anime fans.

3. Off-TV play.

Or should I say watch? You watching an episode of Cut Throat Kitchen and your brother/mother/significant other wants to watch something else? Just flip it to the gamepad and keep going not only has dedicated speakers but a headphone jack to keep from disturbing your significant other.

4. Web Browser

Finally, the wiiU has a fully functioning, intuitive, powerful, and robust web browser. You can suspend any of those aforementioned streaming apps and launch the web browser at any time to look up random stuff about what you are watching, find youtube videos (youtube app sucks use the browser), or pull up more media on various sites all on the TV/pad all while your app is comfortably suspended and can be relaunched at the same point without missing a beat.

The only real problem is Netflix. Their App sucks hot garbage they should take a note from Hulu/Crunchyroll on that as it's missing major features and doesn't use the gamepad for basically anything. I also wish they both would use the wiiU's built in keyboard for typing as it's a bit annoying to use the sticks to type up searches.

Well that's my little epiphany/soap box. I've been using my wiiU as my primary Hulu/Netflix device for the last few weeks and came to this epiphany.

EDIT: Could a Mod possibly change the title to streaming console?
Crappy Netflix and lack of DVD/bluray support makes the wiiU the worst media console.

bomblord1

Banned
A phone certainly looks better than the "offscreen" viewing that you're touting. Most tablets as well.

I can seamlessly switch between the TV and tablet without skipping a beat and 480p looks fine on a 6" screen. It's not as good as my phone but it serves its purposes and looks good as well.

I suppose if you don't have an Xbox One or an PS4, a WiiU would be the perfect media consumption console.

I own both

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No it isn't.

The Xbox One is.

DVD player
Blu ray player
More streaming apps than the WiiU
Free to air TV capable which can then stream that signal to the smartglasd app
HDMI in to take any other HDMI device like a media player or cable box
MKV (and other file) support
Web browser

Its like, not even a contest.

Except the OS sucks and it can't multitask very well.

Yeah I don't even bother turning it on unless I want to play something because it is so fucking slow.

The browser is slow as fuuuuu and I have a fast connection.

Yeah you guys should probably update your Wii Us

I prefer my PS3 over the Wii U. PS3 does everything the Wii U does, but it also has Sky Go, Blu Ray support etc. Also the Netflix app sucks on Wii U, no continuous play is so annoying.

The Ps3 cannot install while multitasking and download anything if an internet connection is required. Even then the speed is very slow. Plus you can't access the store while in game on the Ps3.

Qassim

I own an Xbone and the OS on that is just bad it freezes all the time and apps frequently crash or refuse to boot at all. Have to disagree strongly about it being a better for streaming especially considering you need to buy and use a separate buttonless device to get the full experience.

Which separate buttonless device are you talking about? The tablet? If so - then yeah, I suppose you do - but it's 2015 - if I'm going to be watching videos off-screen, there are plenty of options I'd rather take over watching them on that terrible 854x480 screen, lol.

bomblord1

Banned
Which separate buttonless device are you talking about? The tablet? If so - then yeah, I suppose you do - but it's 2015 - if I'm going to be watching videos off-screen, there are plenty of options I'd rather take over watching them on that terrible 854x480 screen, lol.

Screen looks fine.

JamesAR15

My kids who are 4 & 2 absolutely loved using the Wii U for media, especially the YouTube app. They got very used to using the gamepad. Unfortunately my dog ended up eating the gamepad and I never got around to spending the hundred and twenty dollars for a new one. :(

I can seamlessly switch between the TV and tablet without skipping a beat and 480p looks fine on a 6" screen. It's not as good as my phone but it serves its purposes and looks good as well.
And I can seamlessly switch between the TV and a tablet/phone with a much cheaper $30-50 TV stick. Looks better to boot.

Converse

Banned
I wouldn't call it "perfect," but I'm pleased with it as my media hub.

It has the basic streaming apps, but this is an instance where the Wii U's low install base hurts it -- it could use a few more (namely, Pandora, at least from where I'm standing). It also makes for a case of the "could have beens." In my estimation, the Wii U's Netflix app has the best basic interface I've used -- having a second screen for browsing and a touchscreen for typing is lovely. That said, Netflix has hardly touched the app since launch (as has been pointed out, they haven't even bothered to add the user profiles that they introduced in 2013). It could be leagues better at this point, with just a bit of attention.

And while Hulu looks nice, you can tell that the devs put zero effort into that app; it doesn't even have a touchscreen keypad (you have to use the control pad to select letters just as you would on any other console), which is, frankly, a joke. Obviously, the companies aren't putting the work in when the userbase isn't there, so that's a missed opportunity.

But from a functional standpoint, the dual-screen interface, off-TV viewing, touchscreen input, a really damned solid YouTube experience, and a TV remote built in to the GamePad make for a really nice streaming environment. For hardcore AV folks, though, the ridiculous surround sound situation is a serious drawback that should be mentioned.

Also, people up in here talking shit on the Wii U's web browser are in-sane. Given the speed and the touchscreen interface, I find it's the only console browser that's worth using.

EDIT: Wow. Are you guys serious with that title change? That strikes me as really unprofessional.

jholmes

Dat topic change.

Yeah seriously. Apparently some mod has a fucking axe to grind because a device that takes anything HTML5 will throw at it featuring separate screens is apparently "the worst possible" thing out there.

So uhh hey everyone, don't you fucking dare have an opinion!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This reminds me of the first WiiU threads where grown adults were explaining that resistive touch screens are superior to capacitive ones.

Yeah seriously. Apparently some mod has a fucking axe to grind because a device that takes anything HTML5 will throw at it featuring separate screens is apparently "the worst possible" thing out there.

So uhh hey everyone, don't you fucking dare have an opinion!

I believe it is a simple joke using the opposite end of the hyperbole spectrum as did the equally objectively wrong OP.

Shiggy

Sounds like someone has to justify his console purchase. Everything mentioned in the OP can be done with a phone and a Chromecast in a much better and convenient (and cheaper) way. Apart from number 1, but that doesn't work anyway for those with a separate receiver (surprised it doesn't seem as common outside of Europe).

Thread title change made me do a double take because I was certain I saw the original title and rolled my eyes, then I clicked the title and it was changed.

Good job mods.

bomblord1

Banned
And I can seamlessly switch between the TV and a tablet/phone with a much cheaper $30-50 TV stick. Looks better to boot.

Sounds like someone has to justify his console purchase. Everything mentioned in the OP can be done with a phone and a Chromecast in a much better and convenient (and cheaper) way. Apart from number 1, but that doesn't work anyway for those with a separate receiver (surprised it doesn't seem as common outside of Europe).

I agree

But, I'm talking about consoles.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Faaaaar higher quality. Im surprised Netflix still doesn;t support much higher quality streaming. They've been sitting on the same level HD for a while now.

They don't even do HD on most tablets. Still stuck on 480p.

Oppo

This reminds me of the first WiiU threads where grown adults were explaining that resistive touch screens are superior to capacitive ones.

oh jesus.

the dissonance.

i say this with respect - i love nintendo fans, they are passionate, and very friendly, but i do feel that some of the hardcore have had kind of nervous breakdown over the Wii U situation. it was such a fall from the Wii. i hope the NX delivers man.

the Wii U is a poor choice for media playback for many reasons but people just so desperately want it to be relevant. i can relate, i was an Amiga fan for years ;)

bomblord1, even just considering consoles, Wii U has serious disadvatages.

Blues1990

While I do wish the Netflix application was updated, everything else works fine for me. Streaming videos with the Internet App just works well for my needs.

Why can't you just let it die its quiet death? Why must all these straws be grasped at to justify this paperweight you bought? Why the outrage over cancelled games? Just let it go. Wait for the NX. I'm sure it'll be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom