• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG interview w/ Randy Pitchford - he's at it again

AHA-Lambda

Some choice quotes

Eurogamer: In the case of Aliens, you must accept it's not as good as Borderlands. Surely you accept that.

Randy Pitchford: It depends on what criteria you're using to define good. It did not sell as much. It didn't receive nearly the scores. It wasn't even close. Borderlands has sold maybe 15 times as many units. And the scores are very clear. Aliens got destroyed by the critics.

Eurogamer: Did you not feel that was fair?

Randy Pitchford: I probably lost somewhere between maybe $10-$15m on Aliens, whereas I made a ridiculous amount of money on Borderlands.

Eurogamer: I absolutely accept that, and the footage was marked as work in progress and that's fair. What I'm curious about is why did this game change in the way it did?

Randy Pitchford: Which way do you want to talk about? Pick a way it changed. Do you have a specific example of something that changed?

Eurogamer: Yes! If we look at the E3 2011 gameplay demo for Aliens, there were certain graphical effects we didn't see in the launch version.

Randy Pitchford: We need a laptop. We can't do this.

Eurogamer: Oh come on. You must know what I'm talking about.

Randy Pitchford: I can't remember every effect. I can't possibly remember.

Eurogamer: Okay, but the general point is that it didn't look as good when it launched as it did in those videos.

Randy Pitchford: I think that's subjective. There was one demo that was done, there was basically the same environment that was the first map of the game, and they were trying to show, oh look how it changed. It was kind of hilarious because, the first thing was, you're walking down the umbilical chord and then there's a jolt and a shake and you look up and a body of a marine smashes against the glass and the glass shatters and there's blood and then the first-person player falls down and there's blood on the ground and then he pushes his hand off of it and stands up and you can see blood on his hand, and then he readies his gun and moves forward.

And then they showed, like, here's the final version. In the final version, the thing shakes, he looks up, the body hits the glass but it doesn't shatter. There's no shattering effect. And then when he falls there's no blood on the ground and he doesn't do the thing where he looks at the blood on his hand. And that's a scandal. Like, that is a scandal.

Fucking dickhead >_>
The sad part is, as much as he doesn't care, he's a shrewd man who knows how to play media. Get himself in the spotlight and pick ld wounds, why? Cos he's got new Duke Nukem and BiA games to announce!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-an-hour-with-randy-pitchford

Lock if old.

And then they showed, like, here's the final version. In the final version, the thing shakes, he looks up, the body hits the glass but it doesn't shatter. There's no shattering effect. And then when he falls there's no blood on the ground and he doesn't do the thing where he looks at the blood on his hand. And that's a scandal. Like, that is a scandal.

Dynamic lighting, different setpieces (the Marine throwing a grenade onto the dropship during the attempted escape, to say nothing of the different sequence later on at Hadley's Hope with the Crusher/Queen confrontation) and different dialogue were just some of the things that were severely gimped by the time the final version came out.

He has to know he's full of shit at this point.

Randy pls
JmZQptz.gif

Why is he suddenly everywhere?

Absolutely never buying a Gearbox game as long as this pathological liar is in charge, I refuse to reward his bullshit.

Ive never been put in a moral quandry by a devs figurehead before.
I love borderlands and wanted BL3 for a while now, but I just want nothing to do with this man anymore and do not want to contribute to his jackassery

Dynamic lighting, different setpieces (the Marine throwing a grenade onto the dropship during the attempted escape, to say nothing of the different sequence later on at Hadley's Hope with the Crusher/Queen confrontation) and different dialogue were just some of the things that were severely gimped by the time the final version came out.

He has to know he's full of shit at this point.

Randy Pitchford: "I've never seen a final build of A:CM, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask for it."

He is salty as fuck. Jim Sterling has been lighting a mean fire under his ass the past few weeks.

Jim, if you're reading this - Turn up the HEAT!

Well, I'm just going to avoid Gearbox like the plague even more than I already do. Never liked any of their games besides Brothers in Arms anyways. I really hope the Duke Nukem IP could switch hands again one of these days. Maybe to the developers of Shadow Warrior?

mike4001_

I just hate the guy ...

and I really think that he is the kind that smiles on the outside, but fu**s you over every way he can behind your back ;-)

But thanks for Borderlands :D

I would love Jim Sterling to face off against Randy Pitchford much like he did with Digital Homicide. That would be some good old fashioned entertainment.

Ledhead

God damn, someone needs to keep Randy on a tighter leash and away from the media. He's doing nothing but harming Gearbox as a whole

Amazing.

Honestly if you've never seen self-delusion in action this interview is worth a read other than that it's 10 mins of your life you'll never get back.

jelly

I still don't believe he put 15 million into it.

Is it not clear that he won't own up because he would get sued and lose much like 343 never blatantly saying they shipped a broken game. It's just something you would never admit.

Alienous

Just own up to it, Pitchford.

We saw you pull the card out of your sleeve. You can acknowledge that you tried to pull a fast one and got caught. "We made mistakes with Aliens: Colonial Marines, and we learnt our lessons". It probably wouldn't be true but this dismissal of what happened just makes people think less of you, and Gearbox by extension. And it's your fault.

I would love Jim Sterling to face off against Randy Pitchford much like he did with Digital Homicide. That would be some good old fashioned entertainment.

This. A thousand times this.

Credit to EG for pushing a little, but the guy is sitting there flat out lying to your face (and himself, like a fucking fool) and after a while they let him slide on it. Jim would've been like a dog with a bone with that one.

Hence it'd never happen.

Carn82

I kinda understand why he thinks and acts like that, but yeah, this isnt doing your company or your products any good. Just admit that 'you dropped the ball', 'learnt some lessons' and 'will not repeat the same mistakes'. The damage has been done, you can't retroactively change that.

Jesus fucking Christ Randy; just give it a fucking rest. Admit you fucked up. You aimed to high and failed to hit your goal. He sounds goddamn delusional.

Santar

Eurogamer shouldn't have just focused on the graphics in the question, it just sounds like whining.
The problem with aliens was that the game just wasn't very good.

Terrell

I'm waiting to see how long it takes for Pitchford to concoct the narrative that he's being bullied by the press "just like Peter Molyneux was by Rock Paper Shotgun".

I mean, he's already gone after angry gamers, it's only a matter of time before he does the same thing to the press.

Vire

I don't get why you can't just admit Aliens was a stinker, but reiterate that you have a lineage of past success through Brothers and Arms and Borderlands and focus on the future.

I guess that's cause he knows Battleborn is utter shite too.

Usobuko

Banned
Gearbox hit mainstream audience with Borderlands, Randy probably think all the criticisms at him are nothing more than fart in the wind financially.

PnCIa

This guy. In hindsight i am really sad that they bought the Duke franchise. It should be in better hands.

Top Bottom