• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG interview w/ Randy Pitchford - he's at it again

Garlador

I have a low opinion of A:CM overall, but there was still fun to be had with it... even on consoles. In 4 player co-op, certain sections were a griefers nirvana. Using the hand welder to seal other players in a room with an unkillable monstrosity or using them as bait to distract blind, exploding xenomorphs were some of the most enjoyable moments I had with a game that year.

Don't be afraid to share your opinion, half the people shitting on the game have probably never even played it.

I had a friend who legitimately enjoyed Superman 64. By all means, someone's trash can be another man's treasure. But the consensus is still that the game was, if not outright terrible (I personally think it was), it was a far cry from what was promised and presented to us before release, hence more people are upset with the deception and misleading advertising tactics than the actual game itself. Bad games are a dime a dozen, but Colonial Marines was straight up misrepresenting the actual game.

Many of my buddies agree, though, that practically ANY game can be "the best of times" if you play the game together, relax, bring out some snacks and beer, and just enjoy it in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of way. Lord knows, that was the only way I was ever going to enjoy Resident Evil 6.

Don't be afraid to share your opinion, half the people shitting on the game have probably never even played it.

What if I told you that "people shitting on the game" has nothing to do with how much fun the end game is or isn't and instead has everything to do with false advertising, fake demo's and consistent lies and deceit?

I have a low opinion of A:CM overall, but there was still fun to be had with it... even on consoles. In 4 player co-op, certain sections were a griefers nirvana. Using the hand welder to seal other players in a room with an unkillable monstrosity or using them as bait to distract blind, exploding xenomorphs were some of the most enjoyable moments I had with a game that year.

Man, when the best thing that can be said about a game is that certain sections are awesome for annoying other people...

oof.

npa189

Not sure what people want. Should this guy commit seppuku? Let's move on.

People want an honest admission that the game was terrible, and was sold with false promo demos. He should stop acting like he's the target of a smear campaign and man up and own this failure.

This just solidifies my belief that they just got lucky with borderlands because everything else they do isn't that great.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not sure what people want. Should this guy commit seppuku? Let's move on.
Randy keeps bringing it up and every time he does, he lies and says some mega douchy shit.

Why are you defending him? He's the one that needs admit he fucked up and move on.

Sojgat

What if I told you that "people shitting on the game" has nothing to do with how much fun the end game is or isn't and instead has everything to do with false advertising, fake demo's and consistent lies and deceit?

I'd tell you that I know that. Don't misinterpret my comment as a defence of Pitchford and his contemptible practices.

L Thammy

Press interviews (especially those that are investigative) should be handled on a per-case basis. Molyneux had a history of lies and duplicity, and RPS were well within their rights to call him out on this from the get-go, because the alternative (as you see here) was to softball at the beginning and get progressively more accusatory as time goes on, which rarely works.

People get angry and try to air out their impotent rage against easy targets online, but the moment a publication justifiably takes someone to task from the get-go, they cry that the reporters are being too harsh. You can't have it both ways.

It often seems to me that the gaming industry and gamer culture are in a state of adolescence. They want to be adults because they see benefits from it, but they don't realize exactly what it entails.

Similarly to what you said, people love to criticize game journalism. Or, even more than that, throw non-specific blanket mockery at game journalism. But when they see game journalists actually doing their job, it's too much for them.

It's the same as how people want gaming to be taken as seriously as film so that they can feel like it's a respectable hobby. But when gaming gets the same sort of serious criticism as film, they can't take it. They haven't yet realized that the criticism is part of what leads that media to be taken seriously in the first place.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think what he's saying makes complete sense? I don't get the outrage.

I haven't played Alien Colonial Marines, nor have I seen the pre-release trailers and gameplay demos.

Edit:

That's it? Those aren't that significant differences and those changes could have been for technical or creative reasons.

Sorry, but with that in mind, what Randy Pitchford's points make sense..

I think the issue is more of the demo was representing the final game up til release and after. How much of that is on Randy I dont know. But cant devs show final versions or close to final versions of the game right before release? Playable versions at that?

This isnt the same as other downgrade blow ups because the down grade is usually shown well before the game releases. I think for A:CM ppl didnt really know until reviews went up or after it released. Playable demo from 2012 vs the final version of the game = downgrade differences not really known. Unless I'm mistaken.

I cant recall when the last time thats ever happened. Granted I havent been following video game news close like this before I joined NeoGAf and I still really dont for lots of games now.

I enjoyed Aliens:Colonial Marines, it's one of the unintentionally funniest games I ever played with my buddies. The only good thing about the game was the MP in all of it's forms and even then that's average. Hopefully we get another badass Alien game besides isolation, something more akin to Aliens but with the quality that isolation got.

I was reading this part inparticular:

This guy must be on drugs. So is he saying that he's happy to be a part of this so called trick but deny any responsibility? And when it comes to consoles, really? You look at all the tools produced to make PS3 development easier, the progress the ICE team and XDEV made and he makes it sound like a third tier console. I thought Playstation 3 was more powerful even if it was ever so slightly. Games like The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls at the end of the consoles lifespan really brought that to life for me.
It wasn't a trick, all versions looked awful. So yeah, he's full of shit.

I bought the PC version of the game, completed it at launch, and it looked like crap.

It didn't even come close to looking like their pre release demos.

Top Bottom