• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG interview w/ Randy Pitchford - he's at it again

kmfdmpig

Love Borderlands and will buy future Borderlands, but this is not smart business here.

Whether he feels it's unfair or not he needs to realize that this is counterproductive.

Not sure why he keeps this up.

If he want to defend why the final product was different from the work in progress version, do that.

But to keep up this defence wall where he tries his hardest to excuse every fault the game had is just making him look like an ass. Pretty much all developers makes bad products from time to time, shit happens. But at least try to make an impression that you're a developer that can learn from previous mistakes.

If he's actually trying to say that A:CM is his picture of a damn good product, then I'm not at all interested in what they're doing next, since that's him lowering the bar.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everyone is going to buy borderlands 3 so I'm sure he's not sweating repeat coverage of the same incident spread out over a few weeks. I hate borderlands so much lol.

colafizz

Neo Member
How did one of the greatest FPS come from a company ran by this douche? I know it won't, but I almost hope Borderlands 3 sucks so that he might gain a tiny fraction of perspective.

Resseh

I just hate the guy ...

and I really think that he is the kind that smiles on the outside, but fu**s you over every way he can behind your back ;-)

But thanks for Borderlands :D
yeah! What a knob. How dare he give us awesome games like borderlands.

Reading threads like this make gamers seem like such entitled whining babies with severe first world problems.

Liamario

Banned
Randy, if you're reading this, you're an asshole. Answer the bloody questions you were asked, or don't agree to the interview. If you can't see the downgrade (and I know you can), then you've no business working in this industry.

Carn82

To be honest, if you read through all the 'woe is me' bullshit, he does have a few good points. Doesnt justify anything though.

Things will change no matter what. Artists will make decisions. Programmers and designers will change things. There are lots of different reasons developers make changes in the course of development. Some artistic, some technical, some procedural. But they'll make changes. And when we like the result, every change we notice we can defend. And if we don't like the result, every change is a scandal.

KJRS_1993

I am starting to think that this geezer is just saying all of this to wind some of you guys up :p

I think it's time to let Aliens: Colonial Marines die to be honest. I don't think there's anything more to be gained from repeatedly kicking the dead horse, it won't make a difference to anything. The next Borderlands will sell amazing regardless. Battle Born sounds bare shit dough.

Reading Neogaf makes gamers seem like such entitled whining babies with severe first world problems.

Fixed that one for you :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Never bought a Gearbox game before, never will with Pitchford on its throne.

CHC

Does anyone else find it very unprofessional when he uses "I" to talk about the financial success of the company's games? It makes him sound like some kid in high school who's bragging in the cafeteria.

Randy Pitchford: I probably lost somewhere between maybe $10-$15m on Aliens, whereas I made a ridiculous amount of money on Borderlands.

Makes him sound really tacky.

Everyone is going to buy borderlands 3 so I'm sure he's not sweating repeat coverage of the same incident spread out over a few weeks. I hate borderlands so much lol.
I hate the idea of "boycotting" things because of a bad egg, so I'm glad I already think Borderlands is bad and don't have to buy it because I hate it.

Phased

I'm still salty over Colonial Marines years later.

He's very lucky it was next to impossible to get a refund back then as this bait and switch he pulled wouldn't work out as well today. I purchased the game entirely based on the "demo" he specifically gave showing a game that never existed.. That's entirely on me for pre-ordering, but because of this I haven't pre-ordered a game since, and have no intention to until I see reviews and general impressions, most of which you can get on day 1 anyways, or earlier.

I'm glad they lost money on it. I also probably won't be buying another Gearbox game again.

Eurogamer: Yes! If we look at the E3 2011 gameplay demo for Aliens, there were certain graphical effects we didn't see in the launch version.

Randy Pitchford: We need a laptop. We can't do this.

Eurogamer: Oh come on. You must know what I'm talking about.

Randy Pitchford: I can't remember every effect. I can't possibly remember.

Honestly I've not cared that much about the whole Aliens situation but holy shit that bit there is such a blatant lie

SoulUnison

Banned
Somebody take Borderlands away from this guy.

Pre-Sequel was the freshest feeling entry in the series and actually attempted to deliver on some of the promise that was inherent to Borderlands' premise but didn't really feel like it was ever there even after 2 games, like how the "billions"of guns are really just mish-mashes of maybe, like, 8 or 9 guns.

The dude just can't accept that he's not some visionary who always knows best and who everything will magically work out for. He stumbled onto a winning formula with the first Borderlands under some rather shady circumstances (like retooling the game mid-way through development and stealing the art style wholesale) and it's gone completely to his head.

Baleoce

Eurogamer: Okay, but the general point is that it didn't look as good when it launched as it did in those videos.

Randy Pitchford: I think that's subjective.

This guy. It must be draining for him to keep this up.

Carn82

Reading threads like this make gamers seem like such entitled whining babies with severe first world problems.

I tend to agree. I'm not standing up for 'bad' products, but gaming sites and enthousiast-forums tend to focus in on issues that the general public (in this case, probably the biggest piece of the market that bought the Alien:CM) isnt aware of and probably doesn't care about at all. A lot of people wont have seen the E3 footage or bullshots or whatever. They bought an Alien game because it had Alien on the cover.

I'm not saying that shipping below-average products, 'lying' to the media and fans is acceptable, but this is how business works in general (it's one of the lesser sides of it). Overpromising & underdelivering happens all the time and it's not just the gamesindustry. In the end, vote with your wallet. If something is shit, advice your friends to avoid it.

Kiant

What a joke. Randy just needs to shut the hell up - accept they were in the wrong and move on. He's leaving a terrible image of gearbox.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Because of reactions like this, people will never stop bringing up that game. He should've shown some remorse and moved on.

Carn82

He's leaving a terrible image of gearbox.

I would guess that Gearbox has a PR guy/girl who istructs their public-facing personel; but maybe Randy just doesn't care. If that's true, than he is an idiot and needs to step out of the light and let someone else do the talking.

Majukun

the interviewer should have pointed out at more blatant differences like the totally diferent animations and the idiotic AI in the final game compared to the demo instead of offering him an easy way to dribble the question talking about graphics

I am starting to think that this geezer is just saying all of this to wind some of you guys up :p

I think it's time to let Aliens: Colonial Marines die to be honest. I don't think there's anything more to be gained from repeatedly kicking the dead horse, it won't make a difference to anything. The next Borderlands will sell amazing regardless. Battle Born sounds bare shit dough.

That is exactly the kind of thinking that got us in this mess in that first place.

Zia

He deflected a question about the quality of Aliens by talking about the "weirdness" of The White Album, which is universally considered one of the greatest LPs ever.

What a tool.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"I don't know what you are talking about"

Goes on to describe it it minute detail.

Right.

Exactly. He must have looked at it on his phone since he claimed he needed a laptop to know what they were talking about.

KJRS_1993

That is exactly the kind of thinking that got us in this mess in that first place.

I disagree.
People were burned by Aliens: Colonial Marines because they pre-ordered the game before any reviews were out. If they got burned, that's their mistake unfortunately, and they're ultimately responsible.

Repeatedly bringing this up over and over won't change anything. It's not going to put old Randy up there out of business.
If people don't preorder it, they have 0% chance of getting burned by it. That will make a difference on the other hand.

I can't say I've actually enjoyed any of their games. Borderlands has never clicked with me, so I'll be quite happy feeling I don't have to fund any more of their bullshit.

Eurogamer: In the case of Aliens, you must accept it's not as good as Borderlands. Surely you accept that.

Randy Pitchford: It depends on what criteria you're using to define good.

incredibly-stupidvbp5t.gif

Wizman23

Banned
I don't really care what he says as long as his studio will bless us with some Borderlands 3 goodness in the near future

Somebody take Borderlands away from this guy.

Pre-Sequel was the freshest feeling entry in the series and actually attempted to deliver on some of the promise that was inherent to Borderlands' premise but didn't really feel like it was ever there even after 2 games, like how the "billions"of guns are really just mish-mashes of maybe, like, 8 or 9 guns.

The dude just can't accept that he's not some visionary who always knows best and who everything will magically work out for. He stumbled onto a winning formula with the first Borderlands under some rather shady circumstances (like retooling the game mid-way through development and stealing the art style wholesale) and it's gone completely to his head.
The presequel is a tragic game in my eyes. From beginning to end it you could see the ambition of the devs trying to make a game with a severely restricted budget.
But yeah pitchford is a pathological liar, much more than molyneux imho. And a narcisist, given how he identifies himself with the company.

TimmiT

DerZuhälter;172848007 said:
What company are you talking about?

This is Randy Pitchford we're talking about. It was a company's money, not his own. And it seems more likely to me that it was SEGA's money rather than Gearbox's.

Eurogamer: Yes! If we look at the E3 2011 gameplay demo for Aliens, there were certain graphical effects we didn't see in the launch version.

Randy Pitchford: We need a laptop. We can't do this.

Eurogamer: Oh come on. You must know what I'm talking about.

Randy Pitchford: I can't remember every effect. I can't possibly remember.

Eurogamer: Okay, but the general point is that it didn't look as good when it launched as it did in those videos.

Randy Pitchford: I think that's subjective. There was one demo that was done, there was basically the same environment that was the first map of the game, and they were trying to show, oh look how it changed. It was kind of hilarious because, the first thing was, you're walking down the umbilical chord and then there's a jolt and a shake and you look up and a body of a marine smashes against the glass and the glass shatters and there's blood and then the first-person player falls down and there's blood on the ground and then he pushes his hand off of it and stands up and you can see blood on his hand, and then he readies his gun and moves forward.

And then they showed, like, here's the final version. In the final version, the thing shakes, he looks up, the body hits the glass but it doesn't shatter. There's no shattering effect. And then when he falls there's no blood on the ground and he doesn't do the thing where he looks at the blood on his hand. And that's a scandal. Like, that is a scandal.

This fucking guy...

As hard as I tried to like Borderlands, I couldn't bring myself to play more than a few hours of either one. It makes it much easier to dismiss Gearbox and this asshole.

drotahorror

I hate to act like an asshole, but fuck this guy. Fuck his games, borederlands and every other game he touches.

Probably. Definitely one of the most overrated franchises in gaming history. Played the 2nd one with a friend for 4 or 5 hours one day. Very mediocre.

Top Bottom