• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG interview w/ Randy Pitchford - he's at it again

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, the denial is too much. He's living in a fake world at this point, and his attitude is just stupid for the amount of evidence against him and the company over this. I'm done with their games; there are a lot of other things in the gaming world to enjoy besides Borderlands. Even a return to Brothers in Arms couldn't sway me at this point. Dude is massively delusional.

yeah! What a knob. How dare he give us awesome games like borderlands.

Reading threads like this make gamers seem like such entitled whining babies with severe first world problems.

If you bought Colonial Marines full price at launch, you would understand.

DerZuhälter;172848007 said:
What company are you talking about?

The company that employs him. Was that confusing you? The company that trots him out to do these interviews? The company that, you know, produced the game we're all mad about? No? Not getting it?

jesu

He deflected a question about the quality of Aliens by talking about the "weirdness" of The White Album, which is universally considered one of the greatest LPs ever.

What a tool.

I thought he had a good point, I like The White Album but I can't listen to Revolution 9 from it.
Some people probably love that track.

GavinUK86

The problem is, Randy Pitchford will continue to piss in everyone's face and tell them it's raining because he knows damn well everyone will buy Borderlands 3. Battleborn looks shit and might flop but you can bet your ass when they announce the new Borderlands everyone will go fucking crazy and preorder it so he's never going to learn his lesson. He'll just carry on being the smarmy git that he is.

TimmiT

Really game journalists shouldn't even give this guy the time of day anymore. You can't trust anything he says, meaning that these interviews usually either mislead people or annoy those who notice the heaps of bullshit that he says. Unless the interviewer would actually be able to get this guy to be honest for once.

Fury451

Banned
I thought he had a good point, I like The White Album but I can't listen to Revolution 9 from it.
Some people probably love that track.

Ah, the old "Some people really enjoy crap" defense. I get what he was saying, but it's not applicable here. That may work for say...Lollipop Chainsaw, Fuse, or Mindjack or something. Not for everyone, arguably not fun or enjoyable, but some people will always love it. It's a distraction however: they lied about their product, and have been blaming everyone else for the reception it got, showing a complete lack of honesty and self-reflection on what they did wrong.

Chinbo37

This is one thing I dont like about "following the gaming culture" and reading news, being on GAF etc.

I played BL 1 several months ago and loved it. I am playing BL2 now both single player and coop and loving that as well! I also have already bought BL PS during hte last steam sale as I know it wasnt so well received but generally it seems that if you like BL2 you will like that game a bit as well.

Anyways when I read this guy's interviews it just turns me off. I will stil play Borderlands but he seems like such an ass.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fuck Randy Pitchford and fuck Gearbox as a whole. This lying asshole can keep digging this hole, I hope he never sells anything again.

I almost admire his strong-willed stubborn personality / pigheaded-ness.

It might be, that he comes from a perspective where we, and the press, are far too critical in general? That because he is so close to the cost and gargantuan effort that goes into making games, his studio's games in particular.

He reminds me a bit of Dyack at times.

Beartruck

Probably. Definitely one of the most overrated franchises in gaming history. Played the 2nd one with a friend for 4 or 5 hours one day. Very mediocre.

I agree. Played through the whole first area with a friend and I was nodding off by the end. Granted I hate loot-athon/carrot-and-stick gameplay by its very nature.

Fathom

Banned
Jesus. He wasn't able to give one straight answer and just came off like a crazy person, using the obsessive fan as some kind of example that "tastes are different".

Eurogamer: In the case of Aliens, you must accept it's not as good as Borderlands. Surely you accept that.

Randy Pitchford: It depends on what criteria you're using to define good.

Eurogamer: Okay, but the general point is that it didn't look as good when it launched as it did in those videos.

Randy Pitchford: I think that's subjective.

This guy...

warheat

Even though Borderlands is somewhat decent, the DLC practice disgusted me, BL2 is going to be the last game I bought from Gearbox.

Fuck you Randy.

SxsGK.gif

VanWinkle

This makes me sad. I was playing Borderlands 2 on The Handsome Collection last night and thinking about how great it is. But I still can't figure out Gearbox as a studio. Like, Borderlands 2 is great in every respect. But you look at their other games, and their upcoming game (can't remember the name) and its like those are from a completely different studio.

And I want to like Randy Pitchford, because he's really passionate about his games, but the guy refuses to acknowledge when something his studio has done was not perfect. His ego is so frail, and I think he needs some humility.

I really think it's worth reading the whole interview.
I think he's a bit out of touch with how he can comes across, and has some questionable blinders / stubborn-ness, but he doesn't always come across as bad.

I wonder what Gearbox (& their partner's) PR think of this weird thing.

There are people who have decided I'm a villain and they're going to continue that narrative. And that's fine. They're free to do that.

Eurogamer: Did you not feel that was fair?

Randy Pitchford: I probably lost somewhere between maybe $10-$15m on Aliens, whereas I made a ridiculous amount of money on Borderlands.

WTF kind of answer is this?

mocoworm

Fucking dickhead >_>
The sad part is, as much as he doesn't care, he's a shrewd man who knows how to play media.

Randy is a piece of shit

FUCK Randy Pitchford, he's a scam artist and a liar.

Randy, if you're reading this, you're an asshole.

I just got a month ban (ended yesterday) for calling Luke Smith a **** over his comments about the Destiny DLC .

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169440919&postcount=844

You may want to edit your posts.

'Disagreeing with someone is fine, but an ad hominem attack on them is not' ... was the reason.

Assuming that the GAF moderating team is fair and unbiased, that is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
yeah! What a knob. How dare he give us awesome games like borderlands.

Reading threads like this make gamers seem like such entitled whining babies with severe first world problems.

Thanks for letting us know you have nothing worthwhile to add. <3 Randy could've answered the questions about the downgrade (which is apparent and if he REALLY needed videos to see it the interviewer had numerous from around launch) but he didn't want to and tried to deflect. Sorry, but he needs to continue to be hounded about these things until he actually gives a good reason for the state of change between those videos and launch.

"Pre-Alpha" is only a shield that can only last so long. There's too many changes between E3 and launch that make is seem crazy that they'd cut so much for the sake of "optimization" and "launch."

hew9753

It's a shame because the Borderlands games are so good. No doubt there's a ton of talented, good employees working at Gearbox. I wonder if they cringe every time Pitchford opens his mouth. God, imagine working for this guy and all his slimy insincerity.

aerts1js

The Borderland games are good so his studio doesn't exactly suck. However, they clearly don't hold all their games up to the same standard.

Randy, you're breaking my Borderlands-loving heart. Those replies are absolutely ludicrous. (I'd love to say I'd boycott Gearbox products, but I know I'd be there Day 1 for Borderlands 3. Sigh.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if he actually believes the story he invented about how Gearbox got its name. I'd completely forgotten about the article until someone brought it up in the previous Pitchford thread; it's still amusing.

JDSN

Banned
He will still be rewarded by all the gafers that will buy the next borderlands game, those are comments from a guy that knows how predictable his audience is, kinda admirable.

I just got a month ban (ended yesterday) for calling Luke Smith a **** over his comments about the Destiny DLC .

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169440919&postcount=844

You may want to edit your posts.

'Disagreeing with someone is fine, but an ad hominem attack on them is not' ... was the reason.

Assuming that the GAF moderating team is fair and unbiased, that is.
Let it go.

Eurogamer: Yes! If we look at the E3 2011 gameplay demo for Aliens, there were certain graphical effects we didn't see in the launch version.

Randy Pitchford: We need a laptop. We can't do this.

Eurogamer: Oh come on. You must know what I'm talking about.

Randy Pitchford: I can't remember every effect. I can't possibly remember.

abtxe3.gif

asfuc9.gif

afauvv.gif

The last one is mislabeled since the one without the HUD is the demo.

It seems like you absolutely cannot ask him about the Aliens game. He'll talk easily about anything else. And I don't think he's excusing the game by giving extremely shallow and evasive answers, I think he's actually really disappointed that that game was as bad as it was and failed in every way. Otherwise no one would spend the money he spent on something that would suck from day one. At some point he sincerely thought the game was going to turn out good. Overall I think he's really upset over the money he lost and doesn't want to talk about it anymore.
Dude is handling it terribly though.

Mass One

I wonder if he actually believes the story he invented about how Gearbox got its name. I'd completely forgotten about the article until someone brought it up in the previous Pitchford thread; it's still amusing.

Woah, does he have a history of compulsively lying like that? That's the kind of elaborate fake story the main character would use to impressive the love interest in a romcom.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Welp, guess Im waiting for a used copy of BL3 whenever it drops. No way I'm lining the pockets day 1 of this clown. As much as I love Borderlands and it being a great series, I just don't care for this guys nonchalant attitude about the shit we love

Oh fucking hell, Randy.. You're pulling the rest of the company and the entire gearbox IP down with every stupid comment you make about this. Either man up and say "we fucked up, but there's nothing we can do" or just SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY.

It seems like you absolutely cannot ask him about the Aliens game. He'll talk easily about anything else. And I don't think he's excusing the game by giving extremely shallow and evasive answers, I think he's actually really disappointed that that game was as bad as it was and failed in every way. Otherwise no one would spend the money he spent on something that would suck from day one. At some point he sincerely thought the game was going to turn out good. Overall I think he's really upset over the money he lost and doesn't want to talk about it anymore.
Dude is handling it terribly though.

I've no doubt he was stoked to work on A:CM at one time but I equally do not doubt that at some stage he started to see it as a gun-for-hire task and it was treated as such. Moreover the only reason he spent $10 mill (if you can believe that number) are contractual obligations with Sega, I'm sure he would have liked to walk away but Sega demanded something to show for their money. Sega's blame in this is that they took what Randy gave them and ran a dishonest marketing campaign, they've owned up to their failure Randy it seems cannot.

VanWinkle

I saw somebody describe him as a used car salesman, and it's so true. There's never anything bad at all about any of his stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having read the entire article, Randy comes across surprisingly well and comprehensively deals with everything the interviewer flings at him.

As he says in closing, some people have decided he's a villain and there's nothing going to change their minds, so there's really not much more to be said on the matter.

I'd certainly expect anyone coming in legitimately neutral on the matter to be more favourable to Pitchford/Gearbox after reading that piece.

What an arse, he's not sorry he made a shit game he's sorry that you think it is a shit game.

I want a new Brothers in Arms but I can't in good conscience support it or the company.

To be honest, if you read through all the 'woe is me' bullshit, he does have a few good points. Doesnt justify anything though.

It's not a good point, he tried to pass off a vertical slice of the game that is completely unrepresentative of the quality of the final game as the final game.

This isn't a case of the art team or developers making logical changes, this is flat out lying.

Having read the entire article, Randy comes across surprisingly well and comprehensively deals with everything the interviewer flings at him.

As he says in closing, some people have decided he's a villain and there's nothing going to change their minds, so there's really not much more to be said on the matter.

I'd certainly expect anyone coming in legitimately neutral on the matter to be more favourable to Pitchford/Gearbox after reading that piece.

He doesn't answer a single question, he just throws around 'everybody has an opinion' and fails to address a single one of the actual complaints. At one point he pretends not to know what people mean when they say there are differences between the demo and what he released.

A man who describes himself as a huge Alien fan contradicts his own pre-release claims about advanced Alien AI and defends the awful garbage assigned to the Xenos in his game by saying "Another person I engaged with it was like, the aliens were really stupid, they just sort of ran at me. I was like, kind of like they did in the movie? They're bugs. What are you expecting? Smart flanking manoeuvres? It's kind of weird." The opening scene with the marine squad in Aliens is Ripley chewing out Hicks for not taking the mission seriously enough by calling the Aliens 'bugs'. Throughout the film the Aliens repeatedly surprise the Marines by doing things they don't expect and acting with intelligence. He is literally lying about the source material here.

You could file this interview in a dictionary under 'disingenuous'.

Who's going in neutral? People who don't know what's going on or who aren't interested in games?

Top Bottom