• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion is one of the worst sequels in gaming history

tilomite!

I also thought it was highly overrated. Maybe because it was on new hardware and a beloved franchise it was rated higher than it deserved.

I know Oblivion and Skyrim get lot of hate, dislike and complaints, and I can see why some don't like those. I enjoyed both, regardless some problems I had with both. But is there any similar but better RPG's with first person view? I'm honestly curious.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Never change Gaf

7oFo5pu.jpg

And I disagree with you OP I played worst sequels

There are 2 kinds of people. People who played MW when it came out first. And people who played Oblivion first.

People who played MW first like me were doomed to be disapointed by Oblivion. Others got to experience Oblivion in ignorant HD bliss.
There's also a third kind, people like me who played Morrowind first and weren't disappointed and still enjoyed Oblivion.

HF2014

I kind of not agree with you OP. Saying its garbage i think not. The 360 version was not incredible, compare to the pc version, and i really enjoy every moments of it. Sure it was more easy to pick up ( enjoyed the travel back on the map), but no i cant say it was a bad game. Skyrim is better, but i got hard time going back to Morrowind after. But for me all elder scrolls gsme were great.

Jarsonot

One of the worst? Like say, top 5 worst sequels in gaming history?

I am so curious to know that list. Quick everyone! Think up all the bad sequels in the entire history of gaming... Got it? Where does Oblivion fall on that list?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
There's also a third kind, people like me who played Morrowind first and weren't disappointed and still enjoyed Oblivion.

Yep.

Oblivion was amazing. Despite having certain imperfections/steps back from Morrowind, it took a bunch of steps forward as well.

Oblivion was my first TES game and it still holds a special place in my heart. I love it just as much as I did Morrowind and later Skyrim. I can see where the criticism comes from, but I've spent so much time having fun with the game that it honestly doesn't matter for me anymore.

That said, I highly doubt I'd be able to back and replay the game now.

oti

Banned
Oblivion was the first game I played for over 60h. Did all the guild quests etc. Fighting system was trash but other than that I loved it back then.

Interestingly though I haven't touched Skyrim yet. Gonna look up some mods and play it on my PC.

typist

I loved the vanilla game at the time, sunk more than 200 hours into it, still intend to replay it with mods sometime. Admittedly it hasn't aged well, the combat pales in comparison to Dark Souls and the voice acting is laughably terrible. But the Dark Brotherhood quests still stand out to me and it was one of the first times I ever experienced real emergent gameplay.

Like I still remember when the guards caught me thieving in Bruma and sent me to jail. I was in a cell with some randomer which had never happened before. So instead of serving my time I started a fight with the guy to see what would happen - the guard opened the cell to break up the fight! So I ran out and stole some guard's mail and weapons that were lying around. None of the other guards stopped me on the way out. It felt like a great escape. Later on there was a quest involving the guy who had been in the cell with me, but the guard had killed him so I couldn't do the quest.

I've heard good things about Morrowind, though wonder how much of it is rose tinted glasses. I tried playing it a few months ago and there were just too many text boxes, would take wacky voice acting over text boxes any day

Definitely a step down from morrowind but with these things people are always gonna have a different opinion if it was the first in the series they played

BigTnaples

I've heard good things about Morrowind, though wonder how much of it is rose tinted glasses. I tried playing it a few months ago and there was just too many text boxes, would take wacky voice acting over text boxes any day

Morrowind had less emergent AI scenarios due to the obvious lack of Radiant AI. Which is what gave Oblivion so many awesome encounters.

That said, emergent gameplay was abound in the game, and 14 years later I still have memories from that game that are as vivid as most real life memories I have. And that is telling.

Plotting and executing a heist of the Vivic house vaults, of my own accord and without any prompting or influence from outside sources has to be one to the best gaming memories I have.

Hyperbolic threads being made to respond to hyperbolic threads I see.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087530&highlight=

Oblivion is hardly the worst sequel in gaming history, not even close. It was a good game for it's time but it has definitely aged poorly. I think people still look at Morrowind with rose-tinted glasses and ignore the issues it had making it hard to objectively compare something with it.

This is one of the worst sequels to an Oblivion thread IN NEOGAF HISTORY.

You know how Final Fantasy 7,8,9 were sprawling RPGs that seemed to do no wrong. The characters were believable in their universes, and they could pull off being serious or actually being funny at times. The worlds were vast and there was tons to explore as you saw fit. Then, Final Fantasy 10 came along and its this straight path. The locations you visit are basically set up like a directory. Worse than that, everything is anime bullshit with awful design, awful voice acting, and maybe the least believable universe to date. People still love it and Oblivion because it was a standout at the time, and it brought people into the genre.

It was growing pains, but the games wouldn't have survived as low-poly, text-based games they were obviously better as. Hopefully we get past it, and your able to get something similar to Morrowind. Until then, Oblivion is enjoyable with context or nostalgia. If anything, Skyrim is unforgivable for not pushing things ahead. Bethesda is kind of stuck in the scope they fell into with Oblivion.

Game is trash. Horrible RPG and even worse sequel. The level scaling completely broke the game; whether you level up and get screwed by overpowered enemies or don't level up and just let your skills improve indefinitely while you always face low level enemies, it's inarguably a terrible system that makes you wonder if they even tested it thoroughly.

tbd

I think all TES games are turds in many ways, not just Oblivion. I never got the hype. They're generic, look the same everywhere, lack variety in terms of everything, all NPCs share the same body, there are no extraordinary tall, small or fat characters (even Witcher 1 had this), dungeons are just corridors, no puzzles, no depth, terrible combat.

And talk about irony, at the same time I love Fallout 3 and NV. They're very similar but I think the setting, licenced soundtrack, general atmosphere and humor make the difference for me. And at least hacking kinda has a puzzle character to it.

It was my first TES game, so regardless of its actual quality, i will always remember it fondly. I don't make it habit to hate games though.

MikeDown

Banned
skyrim was worse, im sorry but just everything about that game was bland and generic; repeditive quests meant to pad the game length, glitches, terrible UI, etc.

oblivion is easily one of the worst games i've ever bought. literally nothing about it was good beyond the "oh look i can wander around in this (astonishingly generic) HD fantasy world" factor.

Famassu

You are so Edgy.

It's a good game.
It's really not. I don't think it's a "3/10 HORRIBURU" game like the OP claims (that spot is taken by actually bad games like Fable 2 that don't even do basic things like character movement well) and I understand that there's some enjoyment to be had, but it IS an utterly mediocre game on all fronts except one: it has a big open world.

I've noticed people somehow become less nitpicky about problems a game has that they would absolutely destroy other games for simply because there's freedom to go where ever you want and do whatever you want. The story is shit and a far cry from better RPG stories? Doesn't matter. Combat is clumsy, badly balanced and boring? Doesn't matter. The RPG mechanics are superficial, badly balanced and horribly designed? Doesn't matter. World & dungeon design is repetitive, overly simple and doesn't offer anything too interesting? Doesn't matter. Graphical style is extremely generic? Doesn't matter. Tons of bugs & glitches? Doesn't matter.

What other game gets a pass for doing so many things so much worse than what the best in the genre are doing? I mean, sure, a game like Planescape Torment has clumsy combat as well, but it's easier to forgive its shortcomings because it has such awesome characters, a great story, incredible dialogue, intriquing setting/world etc.

Of course it can still be enjoyable to just wander around, but if anyone wants a well well designed game with an interesting world to explore and a good story to experience with all of it wrapped inside good RPG systems, one is not going to get it from Oblivion. The game is functional on all aspects and there's no single aspect that is completely broken, but none of it is good when compared to actually well done counterparts.

Fasty

I bought Oblivion and was so excited for the experience I bought Shivering Isles on the same day. Quit after doing about four or five gates, and realising I'd have to keep doing them if I wanted to finish the game. Shivering Isles is still in it's shrink wrap :(

Also Crysis 2 exists

It was my first Bethesda game and I loved it.

I had never played an open world game like that, with interiors and NPCs that kept to a schedule. The story blew my mind and there was a ton to do. I remember particularly enjoying the Dark Brotherhood stuff, Realms of Oblivion and the Gladiator stuff.

Oblivion was amazing to me when I first played it. So big, all the stuff you could do, the fantastic atmosphere... I loved it and still do.

I never played Morrowind though..

BigTnaples

It's really not. I don't think it's a "3/10 HORRIBURU" game like the OP claims (that spot is taken by actually bad games like Fable 2 that don't even do basic things like character movement well) and I understand that there's some enjoyment to be had, but it IS an utterly mediocre game on all fronts except one: it has a big open world.

I've noticed people somehow become less nitpicky about problems a game has that they would absolutely destroy other games for simply because there's freedom to go where ever you want and do whatever you want. The story is shit and a far cry from better RPG stories? Doesn't matter. Combat is clumsy, badly balanced and boring? Doesn't matter. The RPG mechanics are superficial, badly balanced and horribly designed? Doesn't matter. World & dungeon design is repetitive, overly simple and doesn't offer anything too interesting? Doesn't matter. Graphical style is extremely generic? Doesn't matter. Tons of bugs & glitches? Doesn't matter.

What other game gets a pass for doing so many things so much worse than what the best in the genre are doing? I mean, sure, a game like Planescape Torment has clumsy combat as well, but it's easier to forgive its shortcomings because it has such awesome characters, a great story, incredible dialogue, intriquing setting/world etc.

Of course it can still be enjoyable to just wander around, but if anyone wants a well well designed game with an interesting world to explore and a good story to experience with all of it wrapped inside good RPG systems, one is not going to get it from Oblivion. The game is functional on all aspects and there's no single aspect that is completely broken, but none of it is good when compared to actually well done counterparts.

I 100% disagree with everything you have just said.

Oblivion created a world that felt so organic at the time, and while it did not feel as "Real" as Morrowinds world, it did some pretty amazing things.

The graphics for the time were amazing, (though they aged poorly)
The physics interaction was top notch for the time.
The freedom as you said, was and still is quite staggering/daunting.
The combat while not the greatest, was still fun & a step up from early levels in Morrowind.
The Characters were all unique, and ACTUALLY lived in the world. Which is something even newer games like TW3 can't fully compete with.

I could go on, but there are so many memorable moments to be had in Oblivion. I spent several hundred hours exploring the world, and there was still so much to see at the end of my journey. As in, there are entire games worth of content that would be fresh to me if I booted up Oblivion today.

Still, it is the worse out of the 3 "modern" TES games.

Worst of those three though is still like being the poorest of the three richest people in the world.

Gusy

Exiting the sewers and looking at the open world was magical for me at the time. I loved getting lost in it and exploring random places. It was a well designed world for its time. What broke the game for me was two things:

1- Oblivion gates
2- Some jerk came visiting while sleeping and turned me into a vampire. I couldn't walk in the daylight without taking damage for the rest of the game. Couldn't figure how to revert the vampire condition.

It may have aged poorly but Oblivion was a good game when it was released, even presentation-wise. I know metacritic scores don't mean much but... a 93-94 score should indicate the feeling for it at that time.

OP.. its far from being the worst sequel ever made, no matter how much you loved morrowind.

You see, finding the game significantly worse than ES3 is one thing. However, most people considered it a good game, so to call it one of the worst sequels ever means you haven't played enough games with sequels worse than the game they come from or you're heavily exaggerating for the sake of it.

This. This N'wah gets it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed it much more than Skyrim, but it was my first Elder Scrolls.

I wonder how common that theme is...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You see, finding the game significantly worse than ES3 is one thing. However, most people considered it a good game, so to call it one of the worst sequels ever means you haven't played enough games with sequels worse than the game they come from or you're heavily exaggerating for the sake of it.

wellthereitis.gif

Most of the Oblivion fans seem to have played it first. That's good and all but I don't see how they can judge whether or not it's a worthy sequel.

It's worse than Morrowind in virtually every imaginable way other than graphics I feel.

When you say "worst sequel", do you mean the game that fell farthest from the previous entry in the series it belongs to, or the worst game that also happens to be a sequel?

Oblivion certainly doesn't fit the latter,but it's a serious contender for the former.

I never played Morrowind but I absolutely LOVED Oblivion. I put in over 150 hours into that game. That's huge for me.

I have the PC version. I don't know if that made the difference as far as the way the game played, functioned, looked, etc.

When you say "worst sequel", do you mean the game that fell farthest from the previous entry in the series it belongs to, or the worst game that also happens to be a sequel?

Oblivion certainly doesn't fit the latter,but it's a serious contender for the former.

Yeah, relative to its predecessor.

On top of that, I found it to be a terrible game as well regardless of its glorious TES roots. But that is arguable apparently.

It is easily the #1 on my list of most disappointing sequels (games in fact) relative to its predecessor and relative to my expectations. I expected nothing short of the best WRPG ever considering how incredible Morrowind was. I saw no reason for them to shit their game up so bad.

Protip: Nothing matters when the player is having fun.

You can spend all the time you want critiquing a game's systems, story, music, etc. I know I enjoy that, even in games I unabashedly love. But the end question is simple: am I having fun when I play it?

If the answer is yes, no analysis in the world is going to convince me I'm somehow wrong for enjoying it.

And the thing is, *no one* else manages the whole "here's a world, have fun"-type gameplay other than Bethesda.

Witcher 3 beats Skyrim in so many ways that it's not even funny...but one thing it will never have is the experience of just being a person in the world doing what looks interesting and building a story around that. That kind of gameplay has a very clear appeal to many of us, and because it *is* a unique one, it makes it easier to overlook other issues.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I think the game did a good job introducing me the xbox360.

I had ton of fun. But yeah, a lesser game than Morrowind for sure.

Top Bottom