• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny receives a new Leveling System with The Taken King release. Step aside RNG.

SomTervo

On the one hand, fucking yes, I'm back in

On the other hand... It should have been like this in the first place. I'm still very bitter about how they designed the whole thing and how much time I wasted on it.

If the end-game is still collecting guns, and the loot system is a bit more attentive to your needs... that's going to be a small (only small) car-crash, isn't it?

Achamian

Hmmm I wonder if it will still require a massive amount of grind for the casuals who can only play a few hours a week (like me) or will make this better. Remains to be seen I'll hold of on buying TTK until I get a feeling of how it's gonna go from the base game update.

Also wondering how this change and removing light levels will be explained in "story" terms.

RlyF5ZH.jpg

Expansion hype

Destiny back on GAF hype train? COUNT ME IN

Fushin

As long as my light level becomes my level I start out at in the expansion I'm cool with this. Don't wanna have to go back down to 20.

MaxiLive

Bungie are currently remaking the game as a beta for Destiny 2 at this point right? They seem to be changing every game systems they designed to fit with what is right for the game.

Good on them for doing so! Still superrrrrrr strange to think that everything they designed for the base game fell flat and has to be replaced.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's a great thing that they're going back on all of their stupid decisions (leveling system, the ridiculous rates for engrams, etc.), but it's still insanely pathetic that they got everything related to the metagame so damn wrong in the first place.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All this positive Destiny news is reeling me back in. I still have yet to play the two micro-expansions that are installed. Getting the itch!

SpokkX

Good i guess. Stopped playing after the first awful expansion though

Destiny is not afraid to change...

It makes one wonder if we really are just on a journey with bungie called "my first mmo"

Obviously they had no real working plan how to handle progression

Too little, too late Bungie. Got burnt once, not again.

Think is an improvement and seeing how fast and easy people have been able to level up not only one character, but three since HoW dropped compared to the launch; makes it nice for those jumping in now. Noticed the drops come easier also. Too little too late for us. Bought the physical Ghost edition with the 2 dlc and played it out till the end. We're cancelling Ttk and already moved on. Too many games to play now and in near future to get trapped in a time sink with Destiny again. Hope those planning to get Halo 5 and playing this game don't get burned out.

mcfrank

So can I be a lvl 40 and still rock all green and white lvl gear? Lol

Sounds like it will be similar to WoW where you can be a level 100, but there is still a gear progression system. If you try to do the hardest content without the right gear, you will fail miserably.

greenegt

All they have to do is announce in-game LFG and I'll probably buy TTK.

Yes, Yes, Yes!

Interesting changes announced. I just got back into playing vanilla Destiny a few weeks ago and am currently on the grind for gear (level 22 right now). I wonder if I should stop at this point, since the systems are changing with TTK, or keep going.

GECK

So they make the no brain decision to change leveling so it works like 99.9% of every other MMO. A year late Luke.

Also lol if it's expansion locked.

daveo42

Banned
This might actually bring me back after barely touching the first DLC and not even playing the 2nd. Now all this thing needs now is a meaningful story behind it and it'd be a legitimately good game all around.

gdt

Sounds like it will be similar to WoW where you can be a level 100, but there is still a gear progression system. If you try to do the hardest content without the right gear, you will fail miserably.

Which is why they tied leveling to gear in the first place.

hamchan

I think they were already trying to do something similar to ilvls with light in Destiny, it was just heavily flawed by having gear have levels and perks too, actively discouraging experimentation and trying new gear since your light level would go down.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Great change, but not really addressing the real problems with the game.

Players: "Hey Bungie, give us a way to group up in game! Give us better communication systems so we can actually socialize with our fellow players! Give us proper clan support!"

Bungie: "Look at this new way to level and get drops!"

Players: "Hurrah!!!!"

If someone listed out the top 20 things wrong with Destiny, I'm not sure these fixes would address any of those issues. I'm all for improving the game. I just want them to REALLY improve the core mechanics of the game. I guess I'll take what I can get and like it.

Ninjimbo

So, they removed a system that limited grinding for more grinding? I actually liked getting an armor core and getting 42 Light gear right away. It made getting the rest of my character up to lvl 34 pretty damn easy.

Now I'm stuck doing bounties and crucible I guess.

Wasn't Light also important to the lore too? It made narrative sense to tie that into systems in some way because we are fighting against The Darkness. I thought that was a nice touch. Wonder what's going to happen now.

I'm still going to get TTK but, I don't know what to make of all these changes right now. I pretty much settled into a nice routine with the game and now it looks like I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board with a lot of the gear and progression and part of me really doesn't want to.

Sounds great. It's awesome to see Bungie take the criticism to heart and really go back and try and fix things. The Taken King is sounding awesome.

coastel

Yea enjoyed the game and recently started playing again for a bit as a friend got the game. The light crap was a load of bollocks and glad its being ditched, think I will play again properly when ttk is out.

So, NOW they look at other MMOs/Action RPGs and go "huh maybe xp all the way is good"

I sort of get where they where going with the light system, and its cool in how it makes you want better gear in a way.

Yeah but when the game launched getting to max level was completely dependent on RNG which is probably the worst way to do it

I quit right after Dark Below was released and have been bashing the living hell out of Bungie and this game ever since.

I personally never expected Bungie to change things so core to the way they designed the game. Light Level and their loot system were both so moronic it wasn't even funny, and the two in concert together was disgusting, but Bungie's stubbornness and general slowness with making changes to the game convinced me they'd never change it.

They finally changed Gjallarhorn and Ice Breaker, the two weapons that broke the game for 6 months, which I figured they'd do but it took them way too long to do.

Adding in these changes to leveling and the loot system is perfect and all I'm wondering now is why it took them so fucking long.

Top Bottom