• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki (FROM/Dark Souls) planning to launch "several new projects."

Auctopus

Gamespot article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-creator-planning-to-launch-several-new-/1100-6429589/

Dark Souls 3 is the "turning point" in the franchise and will pave the way for something new, according to series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpot, Miyazaki was asked if he has given any thought to expanding the Souls series beyond fantasy and into other genres such as sci-fi.

"Dark Souls is my life’s work," he replied. "EVERYTHING I CAME UP WITH FOR DARK SOULS 3 IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES. However, Dark Souls 3 is also actually the turning point for the franchise."

Pressed on whether he would explore the sci-fi or mech genres, perhaps by applying the Souls framework to them, Miyazaki said he "definitely wants to bring the Miyazaki Touch" to them.

As part of his remit as president, Miyazaki intends to launch "several new projects," but didn't specify what these would be.

"I do want to work on something new," he added. "I’m pleased to hear people are interested in seeing that."

The Dark Souls franchise has now shipped around 8.5 million copies across its previous instalments. This figure does not include sales of From Software's other popular games, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Giger Souls
clock-eyebrow.gif

Shengar

But it's good that Miyazaki move on from the Soul series. Dark Souls 3 clearly giving the vibe that it will ended for good. Hopefully Miyazaki next project will be good.

Whatever it ends up being, I will buy it. Miyazaki has built up the same kind of respect I only reserve for designers like Kamiya, Kojima and Miyamoto at this point. Whatever he works on going forward, I'll be there.

Bl@de

I want a Dino Crisis reboot from Miyazaki. Can be a new IP because the rights belong to Capcom (not that they do anything with it). Survival horror + Souls influence + Miyazaki map design + Dinosaurs. And to make it even better: Make it a collaboration between FROM and Tango Gameworks. Miyazaki working together with Mikami. That is all I want. Please :)

silva1991

Can't wait for another Miyazaki's masterpiece, but a bad souls game.

I hope it's more different from Dark souls than Bloodborne.

Molemitts

I'd love to see Miyazaki do a game that isn't based off the Souls formula, I love those games, but I'm sure he has the talents to do so much more.
No mech games, though.

delSai

If they team up with Sony again, they should make a Soul Sacrifice game.
Other than that, Samurai Souls.

i would love dark souls like gameplay in a more upbeat environment. i know that's probably not a popular opinion but i never liked the dark/gothic style of these.

They need to strike a fine balance for future games. If they change too little there is a risk of fatigue among fans. Change too much and they risk alienating fans.

Moongazer

Hopefully something that doesn't use the Dark Souls template and I say that as a huge fan of the series. I want to see something new from them.

I wonder if any of them are new projects with sony.

Theres already 2 other FromSoft PS exclusives on the way, He could be working on one of them??¿?

Ganondorfo

Berserk the video game directed by Miyazaki and then Castlevania directed by Miyazaki. And then Kings Field V directed by MIyazaki.

JimPanzer

bet people will still say DS3 is missing Miyazaki's refinement? lol

I'd love to see a Ninja/Samurai game from FROM.

GrayChild

Kawaii Souls feat. Hatsune Miku.

On a more serious note, I would love to see Miyazaki trying a more traditional survival horror franchise. Some areas in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1 were creepier than most pure horror titles in recent years.

Mandelbo

I'd love to see something entirely new from Miyazaki, something completely removed from the souls series. Preferably something that's got horror elements in it still!

tanooki27

ever since taking the reins, this man has seized every opportunity and created several more. with luck he'll be around for a good long while

I'm glad that DS3 might be the last Souls game for a while. I believe its run its course, and I hope that DS3 could be its climax.

Making yet another Souls game but with a different setting would be a waste of talent, I believe

But of course, I hope that From still take what they learned from Souls and apply them to their future projects

Top Bottom