• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki (FROM/Dark Souls) planning to launch "several new projects."

Seems to be what gaf wants really. I don't understand the idea of wanting them to remake dark souls 100 times as everything but dark souls, we have people complaining about franchise fatigue, but really copying the same formula and releasing it in 30 different settings doesn't make things interesting, if makes the formula stale. Let souls be souls and let whatever else he wants to make be something different. The only project that really needs to have a souls formula would be a Berserk game (which needs to happen)

It's not just "what GAF wants," but also what will almost definitely happen.

Remember that the last time From had success anywhere close to Souls was with King's Field in 1994. They made 3 sequels (1995, 1996, 2001), plus Eternal Ring (2000) and two Shadow Tower games (1998, 2003).

From released King's Field-style games almost annually for close to a decade (missing 1997, 1999 and 2002), on top of developing games with similar settings and mechanics like Evergrace and Lost Kingdoms during that same time frame.

Combine their past history with the fact that Souls games are becoming more and more successful with each iteration (Bloodborne reviewed and sold better than all of the previous games, there are no signs of franchise fatigue), and it's clear that From has plenty more ground to cover with the series.

Maxrunner

Metroid third person view,just tone down the difficulty and it could be great....bloodborne already has a silent protagonist, pretty much like Samus on pre "other m" games....

Honome

I always thought that the soul series would work perfectly as an old western (like the good, the bad and the ugly style). But tbh i think any new idea from Miyazaki will have my money.

"Dark Souls is my life’s work," he replied. "EVERYTHING I CAME UP WITH FOR DARK SOULS 3 IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES. However, Dark Souls 3 is also actually the turning point for the franchise."
Like the sound of this :D

Remember that the last time From had success anywhere close to Souls was with King's Field in 1994. They made 3 sequels (1995, 1996, 2001), plus Eternal Ring (2000) and two Shadow Tower games (1998, 2003).

From released King's Field-style games almost annually for close to a decade (missing 1997, 1999 and 2002), on top of developing games with similar settings and mechanics like Evergrace and Lost Kingdoms during that same time frame.

Combine their past history with the fact that Souls games are becoming more and more successful with each iteration (Bloodborne reviewed and sold better than all of the previous games, there are no signs of franchise fatigue), and it's clear that From has plenty more ground to cover with the series.

I don't really see that sentiment anywhere outside of gaf and 4 games into a "series", two of which that are technically their own seperate series (Demon Souls and Bloodborne, which even then are also Sony exclusives) is a bit too early to call franchise fatigue. But when you take one thing and copy paste it multiple times with a new skin it becomes less unique and more novelty and once that starts to happen, people start to lose interest. If they keep it contained within Dark Souls, Bloodborne(even though I don't really see that getting a sequel) and MAYBE one other series, I won't mind. But asking for everything souls is just dumb and will ruin what made it special in the first place.

leroidys

I'm inclined to think that one of them has to be Armored Core, as it's about time, and it's the first series Miyazaki worked on at From AFAIK.

That said, isn't he the head of development for the company? So literally anything they're working on would be his announcement to make?

I'm inclined to think that one of them has to be Armored Core, as it's about time, and it's the first series Miyazaki worked on at From AFAIK.

That said, isn't he the head of development for the company? So literally anything they're working on would be his announcement to make?

He's President now, so yup. He said he'd like to make a new Armored Core, so he might do that next. Might make for good publicity and marketing for Armored Core revival if he directs it (even though he already directed 4 and For Answer).

Yuterald

Problem is, most of From's other franchises sold like poo and got middling review scores. Remember the last time they tried something non-Souls? It was that Steel Battalion Kinect game.

Furthermore, if they made a new Otogi or Lost Kingdoms, they would absolutely have Souls-style combat. Otogi was already a hack and slash without the Souls depth, and the Lost Kingdoms cards were functionally similar to spells in Souls, albeit with far greater variety. King's Field would be different as far as gameplay is concerned, but the aesthetic would still be just like Souls.

The only decent franchises From owns that are totally divorced from Souls are Tenchu, which would have to go up against AAA assassin franchises like Dishonored, Splinter Cell and Hitman, Armored Core and The Adventures of Cookie & Creme.

The only thing that has really worked for From is tight combat with creepy monsters, so it makes sense that people are suggesting they stick to that. Even Miyazaki seems to be suggesting spiritual sequels rather than something totally new.

Come on, man, there's absolutely no reason to shoehorn "Souls-like" gameplay into ANY of their other games. Those specific titles, Lost Kingdoms and Otogi, for example, were/are unique enough to stand on their own. Otogi was fairly notable for its destructible environments. Didn't Microsoft just announce that Crackdown 3 will utilize cloud for some unprecedented level of environmental destruction? Could you imagine if From tapped into that resource and applied it to Otogi? While the Wii U isn't the greatest place for 3rd party support, I still feel like the Game Pad would have lent itself well to something like Lost Kingdoms, where the cards/player's deck would be displayed on the pad. King's Field V with Morpheus is an obvious collaboration/potential project, too.

leroidys

I can't think of three bigger tentpoles of gaming for me growing up than samurais, medieval fantasy, and giant mechs. From would REALLY have something going if they could prove that the souls series isn't their one-trick pony, and come out with generation defining Otogi and Armored Core sequels.

kevm3

What I'm afraid of is From Software turning into a Japanese Activision with the Souls series being their "Call of Duty." What I like about From Software is that they didn't run from traditional gaming to turn their game into some movie-like, open-world sandbox like just about every other developer, but then again, I don't want them to run their franchise into the ground.

lord_lad

Banned
Since FROM Software games were already published by Namco Bandai, i can't believe nobody stated the obvious..

The next game from FROM software and Miyazaki:

Souls Calibur

I dont expect them to stop pumping out Souls games any time soon but I hope we see something else from them soon in between Dark Souls and if they do another Sony game + any other deals they got cooking.

Persona7

Banned

Bloodborne sold more than Dark Souls?

Raitaro

I'd want either this:

I want a Dino Crisis reboot from Miyazaki. Can be a new IP because the rights belong to Capcom (not that they do anything with it). Survival horror + Souls influence + Miyazaki map design + Dinosaurs. And to make it even better: Make it a collaboration between FROM and Tango Gameworks. Miyazaki working together with Mikami. That is all I want. Please :)

Or a new game alltogether, possible with mechs, that brings the same kind of innovations and refinements to its respective genre as the Souls games have within the action-RPG genre (deepness of combat, classic level of challenge, incredible world building, fresh online elements).

The fact that we have Dark Souls (3) and Bloodborne is because Miyazaki took older concepts and ideas that he was genuinly invested in and found a way to innovate and refine them in such a way that he triggered a strong response in gamers looking for a certain type of challenge ands level of immersion / world building.

I think we've reached a point where he needs to try and do that again starting with a new jumping off point.

Foffy

Banned
Not enough Tenchu requests in this thread.

From has never made an internally-developed Tenchu game, save for that party title.

The main games have been made by Acquire and K2. Acquire was bought by a mobile company, so I think they're done for in the traditional games space, and K2 was absorbed into Capcom years ago.

It's kind of hard to ask From to make these games; they actually have no experience in making them, really.

Top Bottom