• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki (FROM/Dark Souls) planning to launch "several new projects."

Foffy

Banned
I hope they keep dark fantasy as the root. This has always been From's bread and butter, which the Souls games are a part of.

NEO0MJ

WAT?

Berserk is rich in characters and it's world with deep, layered, complex themes of fate, destiny, symbolism, foreshadowing, emotions etc and that's all you came away with? Rape? Someone wasn't paying attention. That or you haven't read the manga.

I thought it was about riding a boat
;-;

I hope they keep dark fantasy as the root. This has always been From's bread and butter, which the Souls games are a part of.

It used to be mecha games ( ._.)

Teknoman

Can we get more custom mecha action? Because the online environment + console power should make for some amazing things.

Steel

Banned
If I should be happy he's moving on to other genres, or sad that this pretty much confirms that the next armored core isn't even a project yet.

Hopeford

All I really want is for a new Metal Wolf game that plays like the Souls games. Like exact same gameplay, exact same difficulty, only at the end of a difficult giant-robot-boss you get a ridiculous cutscene talking about American justice.

Odrion

Banned
I'm feeling that FROM is turning Miyazaki into their Kojima or Miyamoto. There'll be many projects he'll oversee and have a influencing role in, but he won't be THE developer.

I'm feeling that FROM is turning Miyazaki into their Kojima or Miyamoto. There'll be many projects he'll oversee and have a influencing role in, but he won't be THE developer.

Isn't this the case already? Outside of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, rest of his games has co-directors and he gives them ideas, level designs, items description.

lord_lad

Banned
Leaked roadmap from from software

Call of Souls: Difficulty Warfare

Soul's Creed

Madden Souls

FIFA Souls

Soultris: By Alexey Pajitnov

RapeSouls

Ultra Souls Fighter

SoulsVille

Hearthsouls

World of Souls online

Foffy

Banned
It used to be mecha games ( ._.)

No, it hasn't. The company was actually founded on dark fantasy with the King's Field games. Armored Core came later.

Both of those themes - dark fantasy and mecha - are what flows in the spirit of the company, but let's not forget what came first, and appears to be received the best from gamers.

There is a reason From is a premier developer in the domains that they are.

Leaked roadmap from from software

Call of Souls: Difficulty Warfare

Soul's Creed

Madden Souls

FIFA Souls

Soultris: By Alexey Pajitnov

RapeSouls

Ultra Souls Fighter

SoulsVille

Hearthsouls

World of Souls online

Seems to be what gaf wants really. I don't understand the idea of wanting them to remake dark souls 100 times as everything but dark souls, we have people complaining about franchise fatigue, but really copying the same formula and releasing it in 30 different settings doesn't make things interesting, if makes the formula stale. Let souls be souls and let whatever else he wants to make be something different. The only project that really needs to have a souls formula would be a Berserk game (which needs to happen)

convo

You know, I'm ready for Miyazaki to make a game that isn't hard.

Are they hard though? What does it mean to be hard? All these questions coming to you from the hyperbolic time-chamber that is the internet.
Some simply can't understand that these games are more than the tag-line people basically forced on it. This and people complaining how easy these games have been, and the concept of difficulty goes right in the trash.
No one this side of the internet cares about applying logic to their arguments or their uneducated one-off comments.

Foffy

Banned
Are they hard though? What does it mean to be hard? All these questions coming to you from the hyperbolic time-chamber that is the internet.
Some simply can't understand that these games are more than the tag-line people basically forced on it. This and people complaining how easy these games have been, and the concept of difficulty goes right in the trash.
No one this side of the internet cares about applying logic to their arguments or their uneducated one-off comments.

Hard in the sense that they absolutely demand more from the player. A true investment of time and energy into mechanics, and if one isn't prepared to twerk to that frequency, it's considered hard.

Granted, some parts in From's games are considered bullshit - one part in King's Field II and Dark Souls II's Gank Squad come to mind - but don't most games have weak spots?

RapeSouls

That souns fun :)

I really like all souls games.
But I totally get his intention to make something else.
I hope dearly that Miyazaki-san would not fail. Or else Kudokawa/Namco would force
him to make Souls just like COD/Assassins till the end of times.

doofy102

Why though?

Seriously there's like a million other games out there for you and you're basically asking someone who appeals to a certain core group to stop appealing to them. That's ridiculous.

What? No, I love the Souls series, dude. I'm not ASKING Miyazaki to make ANYTHING. I'm just saying it'd be cool to see what he'd come up with, say, a more average difficulty, because it'd still be a smartly designed work.

Oh Christ, no it doesn't. They're still hard games.

What? No, I love the Souls series, dude. I'm not ASKING Miyazaki to make ANYTHING. I'm just saying it'd be cool to see what he'd come up with, say, a more average difficulty, because it'd still be a smartly designed work.

Most of the challenge comes in the smart design expecting the player to use their brain.

NEO0MJ

I stopped reading it there does it get better afterwards?

The releases stopped at around that time so you didn't miss much :p

No, it hasn't. The company was actually founded on dark fantasy with the King's Field games. Armored Core came later.

But weren't the Armored Core games their most successful games until the Souls series? Or maybe I'm just basing that on which games of theirs I used to play during the PSX/PS2 era.

convo

Granted, some parts in From's games are considered bullshit - one part in King's Field II and Dark Souls II's Gank Squad come to mind - but don't most games have weak spots?

Of course they have weak spots that's why video game boards exist to discuss tactics on how to deal with/ cheese those sections of games. Being a time commitment is obviously ture, how hard it is for someone to spend that time actually learning the game concepts and stuff varies dramatically from person to person. I think the community maybe not including hardcore-pvp players did a good job trying to show off the game in it's intended way of thinking about the game.You don't have to play like everyone else to make it through one game depending on how you did it you will be either satisfied or pissed off anyway. Hard to please humans in general when you can't expect them to have some sort of intelligence they did not have to begin with.

I thought it was about riding a boat
;-;

RXwWoSH.gif

Foffy

Banned
Of course they have weak spots that's why video game boards exist to discuss tactics on how to deal with/ cheese those sections of games. Being a time commitment is obviously ture, how hard it is for someone to spend that time actually learning the game concepts and stuff varies dramatically from person to person. I think the community maybe not including hardcore-pvp players did a good job trying to show off the game in it's intended way of thinking about the game.You don't have to play like everyone else to make it through one game depending on how you did it you will be either satisfied or pissed off anyway. Hard to please humans in general when you can't expect them to have some sort of intelligence they did not have to begin with.

I do not believe this is true. I would imagine normal, functioning humans absolutely have the intellect for "higher" things, whatever those may be. But this must be nourished and trained, like any skill or art. People are, in every sense of the word, products of their environment, which results in their culmination of experience. This is not to say one is better, but to explain the cultivation and divide that is clearly seen when these more demanding games come out.

Miyazaki's games particularly stand out as examples that co-exist in a sea of games that dumb everything down and assume the players' experience with the game is literally the first time they've interacted with anything that required controls, and if those games are the norm, it is of no surprise that anything beyond that norm might be considered "hard" or "absurd".

ElTopo

Banned
Hate to be a downer but I'm a little concerned that we're heading towards Dark Souls burn out. I'm hoping that the 3rd game will not only be amazing but the last one for a while, at least for a couple of years, while FROM tries a different genre of gaming.

I'd like to see a new Tenchu.

Walpurgis

Banned
I want to see a Cyberpunk Souls which would probably just be a futuristic Bloodborne in a high tech city. I also want to see more fantasy games, particularly Chinese or Japanese folklore (like how The Witcher 3 had Slavic folklore and creatures).

And I'm still waiting on my mounts for Dark Souls, Miyazaki.
You know, I'm ready for Miyazaki to make a game that isn't hard.
I'm not. There are plenty of other games that do that.

Vex_

Banned
Kings Field Souls
Core Souls
Armored Souls
Cutey Souls (chibi styled souls game)
Souls Racing Champions (kart racer)
VRS mk III (Virtual Reality Souls)
Souls the Fighters (Fighting game)
Soul Souls'?

The possibilities are endless.

Will be interesting to see what he does next. Love the Souls series/Bloodborne. Nice seeing Dark Souls has sold 8.5 million as well. Wonder how much each did individually.

BlurredNotions

Neo Member
Dead space + dark souls = not sure if i can handle..

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Just imagine a Souls/borne type game set in a Dead Space-like sci-fi world. You could actually cut your enemies into pieces.

I'd love that. The first Dead Space was a masterpiece IMO. Great third person action horror title with absolutely amazing atmosphere, intense and very oppressing.

KORNdoggy

You and i have different view about souls template. It's no where ubisoft open world

ubisofts openworld template got tedious for me after i'd played AC1 AC2 and far cry 3. so it took 3 games for me and they carried on afterwards with a ton more AC, watchdogs, far cry 4 etc.

FROM have made 4 souls games and are releasing DS3 and bloodborne DLC and no doubt more using that template. it's definitely the same situation. they've found something that works and are running it into the ground. ubisofts specialty. lol

convo

I do not believe this is true. I would imagine normal, functioning humans absolutely have the intellect for "higher" things, whatever those may be. But this must be nourished and trained, like any skill or art. People are, in every sense of the word, products of their environment, which results in their culmination of experience. This is not to say one is better, but to explain the cultivation and divide that is clearly seen when these more demanding games come out.

I see the average level of skill increasing since the first souls game came out. I also believe people have become smarter as a direct result of these games existence. But i am too tired to believe that a vocal group of people aren't going to be complete ignorant shits no matter what. I have complete faith that FROM isn't going anywhere and is going to school the majority of game developers.

Bottom line though i am annoyed by extremely reductive statements about these games and no one is going to stop these kind of games from happening unless people actively commit suicide because of that-- i am looking out my window and the Apocalypse isn't happening because of this game so no luck for those guys wishing for no more anytime soon.

BumRush

Space, mech, samurai, blade runner-esque, horror, etc. would all be amazing...whatever it is, if it's Souls in a different setting, I'm buying it.

Top Bottom