• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki (FROM/Dark Souls) planning to launch "several new projects."

Ninja/Samurai Souls

Smaurai souls plzz

Other than that, Samurai Souls.

I'd love to see a Ninja/Samurai game from FROM.
618.gif

Anything they do, I'm in.
Although my head is blown by The idea of a current gen Tenchu, more Metal Wolf Chaos or anything in space by them.

Yuterald

Just a bunch of sequels?

King's Field hasn't had a proper installment since 2001/2002. It's in dire need of a reboot. They're also resting on a lot of great, untapped IPs that could use new installments. Of course I'd like to see them do something original again, but if they have the resources/teams to develop multiple projects, I think it would be great to see some of these titles make a return.

Dragons Dogma feels so god damn generic when it comes to monster design. Also its too easy and too fast. Not really getting that Berserk feeling while playing Dragons Dogma.

there is nothing fast about warrior's charged attack. But its monster design sure is levels below souls.

Wagram

Definitely not the end of the Souls style of game because it's their most successful franchise now. I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of King's Field.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Am I the only one who would love a portable Dark Souls? Anywhere would do. If mobile though, please have full controller support.

every single time i pick up my vita i wish i could play souls on it. bloodborne and DSII via remote play is great, even with some wonky touch controls

Kinda hoping Salt and Sanctuary fills that hole. Coming to PC, PS4 and VIta.

And if it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if it was released before a long flight I have in December.

If Miyazaki based a lot of his ideas for Dark Souls off of Berserk, I could definitely see him doing a Sci-Fi Souls series in the vein of Tsutomu Nihei's "Blame!"

Nihei's world is bleak, filled with twisted cyborg/synthetic abominations and no clear line between good and evil. The creature designs are very Souls-esque as well.

"Gravitational Beam Emitter is OP, FROM pls nerf! "

Dragons Dogma feels so god damn generic when it comes to monster design. Also its too easy and too fast. Not really getting that Berserk feeling while playing Dragons Dogma.

Could you explain why you think it's "generic?" I think enemy design in Dragon's Dogma is comprised of purposefully traditional monsters and beasts from mythology and old school fantasy, for a classic, vintage atmosphere. That is part of the game's appeal. Dragons, hydras, chimeras, cyclops, sirens, etc, all timelessly iconic beasts of Western fantasy. It's not generic when it is one of the few games that comprises most of its bestiary with realistic yet faithful renderings of classic monsters. It has a really consistent classic fantasy aesthetic that is hard to find in most other fantasy games, that is not ruined by superfluous design or new takes on the monsters.

It also doesn't fall in that hole of copying Tolkien.

Please, no more Dark Souls after this one.

Time for something completely new. A sci-fi Souls game would generate unreal hype. That would be bonkers. I want it.

man I'd love that. Idk about a samurai "souls" game, but a samurai game with japanese mythology like hunting youkai, or a more grounded game, based off of something like vagabond.

I'm drooling at that last part, do vagabond!
Yeah it doesn't have to be a "souls". Just a good samurai/fuedal Japan game because there are pretty much no games in that setting (samurai warriors doesn't count).

Auctopus

Please, no more Dark Souls after this one.

Time for something completely new. A sci-fi Souls game would generate unreal hype. That would be bonkers. I want it.

Choose one.

You probably will never get something completely new. They know the Souls design works, it's just a matter of applying it to different themes.

cerulily

I'd like to see FROM do something from the Otogi property (if they're going to do ancient Japan, i think fantasy would be best)

I think it gives them enough flexibility to do something newer and not as well tread as souls, but also retain that distinctly japanese setting people seem to want from a samurai/ninja souls game.

Soriku

Pressed on whether he would explore the sci-fi or mech genres, perhaps by applying the Souls framework to them, Miyazaki said he "definitely wants to bring the Miyazaki Touch" to them.

Why not combine both...make a sci-fi Souls with mechs. Big bosses are nothing new to the series.

leroidys

OTOGI! Just one more on current gen tech would be fine. The original duology stands alone, but it came out a gen too early.

Also, what's gaf's favorite armored core? I haven't played one since PS1.

Whatever he ends up doing, I'll probably be there day 1. Sci-fi Souls could be very nice as one of these projects.
Exciting times ahead!

Team ICO and Psygnosis on your avatar?! Get out of my brain!

Hehe, should put some From Software in there too :)

JimPanzer

What no, because he's already been listed as the director... so I don't know why they would, he wasn't the director of Dark Souls II however.

There already was some hefty arguing because some direct connections to the lore of DS2. People will argue even without reasons.

sith23

Neo Member
Pretty cool to know that Miyazaki has something else under his sleeves. Wether or not it is a new "Souls" game.
I'm eager to know more about those projects.

sn00zer

Ah Berserk, its like Dark Souls but with rape!..... yaaaaaaaaaay

EDIT: Also New game wiuse would like a bright colorful game with Souls trappings

I really don't need him to do another 'souls' game although another bloodborne or demons sequel would be nice. I'd almost prefer he came up with a new concept. Even if it's not as good as the 'souls' style games, let the man create a new concept. I don't need another Kojima situation where he's forced to make the same stuff forever until he is sick of it.

Shin-chan

Whatever he does following Dark Souls 3 I hope the setting is as 'out there' as Bloodborne is.

I seriously think that game's atmosphere, story and artwork set it apart from just about everything else in the industry, and maybe any other form of media too. Sure, there's other Victorian era games and other games with Gothic and cosmic horror, but nothing is melded together and as unique and coherent as Yharnam and it's characters.

Even if it's a scenario I'm not fond of I have no doubt Miyazaki will make it his own with a truly unique plot and feel.

Beyond what he has done for 'hardcore' AAA game design, him and his team are also the most interesting writers in the industry at the moment in terms of fantasy.

Would love an atmospheric sneaky kind of Tenchu / Ninja game from From.

As a huge fan of Tenchu 1 going way back, I'd love another atmospheric iteration of a Tenchu and Shogun Assassin type deal. I would be really interested in something like that based on Miyazaki's taste for desolate/melancholic vibes mixed with some traditional koto music and influenced by his own culture's ghost stories and so on. I'm thinking Tenchu 1 meets Shogun Assassin meets Kwaidan meets Onibaba with a DS1 type world design. I'm just pulling this out of my ass but it's glorious in my head.

I mean the guy already somehow combined DS1 with Lovecraft and Poe and Castlevania somehow...I would've laughed at the thought that something so fucking balls-out amazing could ever be put into videogame format.

Top Bottom