• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki (FROM/Dark Souls) planning to launch "several new projects."

Yuterald

I think this, "take said theme/setting and apply Souls formula to it", is extremely short sighted and completely missing the point. If I were From, I would do the following as an armchair CEO:

-Make exclusives for the three main consoles
--King's Field V for PS4, co-developed with Japan Studio
--Otogi 3 for Xbox One, co-developed with Microsoft Games Studio
--Lost Kingdoms 3 for Wii U/NX, co-developed with Nintendo producers, etc.
--Tenchu, cross platform, with similar online integration as the Souls titles (they still own this, right?)

Done. Portfolio instantly more interesting and diverse than what they've been doing for the past few years.

Anung

Un Rama
Cyberpunk Souls please where death is framed as your mind being downloaded into a new body.

And Armored Souls. And Ninja Blade 2.

No. NO. NO. NO. NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I liked Bloodborne but I rather want them to make more multiplats instead. Not developing exclusives just for the sake of exclusives.

I hope you're never getting in the position to decide stupid crap like this. I rather own as few platforms as possible.

Yuterald

No. NO. NO. NO. NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I liked Bloodborne but I rather want them to make more multiplats instead. Not developing exclusives just for the sake of exclusives.

I hope you're never getting in the position to decide stupid crap like this.

Whatever gets them out of their Souls-making machine, I'm all for it. They used to have such a diverse portfolio/catalog during the PS2/GC/Xbox-era, which had exclusive titles for specific hardware. I kind of would like to see From go in the direction that Platinum has, as far as the deals/contracts they land with other major publishers (Nintendo/Microsoft, etc.).

Whatever gets them out of their Souls-making machine, I'm all for it. They used to have such a diverse portfolio/catalog during the PS2/GC/Xbox-era, which had exclusive titles for specific hardware. I kind of would like to see From go in the direction that Platinum has, as far as the deals/contracts they land with other major publishers (Nintendo/Microsoft, etc.).

I rather not. If I can't play 70% of their portfolio then I don't need more "diversity" from them.

kevm3

I enjoy the souls series a lot, but I really hope he isn't afraid to take a risk because they are running the 'souls' thing into the ground.

If Miyazaki based a lot of his ideas for Dark Souls off of Berserk, I could definitely see him doing a Sci-Fi Souls series in the vein of Tsutomu Nihei's "Blame!"

Nihei's world is bleak, filled with twisted cyborg/synthetic abominations and no clear line between good and evil. The creature designs are very Souls-esque as well.

tumblr_lyrsgweKXP1r4xqamo1_500.jpg

Bring on exclusives. If you want to play exclusives than get all the consoles.

That being said bring on Cyberpunk Souls that has an 80's/90's anime aesthetic.

JPS Kai

Rather than "______ Souls", I'd like to see Miyazaki try out a completely new genre. That man has some strong ideas for narrative and I don't want to see his auteurship succumb to franchise fatigue.

Rather than "______ Souls", I'd like to see Miyazaki try out a completely new genre. That man has some strong ideas for narrative and I don't want to see his succumb to franchise fatigue.

Which is why i would like to see what twist he could put on a superhero kind of game.

Forkball

Souls Party

A Mario Party-esque title set in the Souls universe. You pick a character and they all have a special ability, like Solaire can throw the Lightning Spear at players who are two spaces ahead. All the boards will be based on famous places in the Souls franchise like Anor Londo, Blighttown, Iron Keep, etc. Instead of stars, you collect souls. Whoever has the most souls at the end wins, but actually they don't because everyone is dead and the world is in agony.

Veal

Am I the only one who would love a portable Dark Souls? Anywhere would do. If mobile though, please have full controller support.

UrbanRats

Berserk.

Berserk!

BERSERK!

BERSERK!!!

Why would you even want this?

First of all, Dark Souls is basically Berserk, somewhat tamed down in violence and gore (which would happen with a Berserk videogame regardless).
So you'd just be getting another Souls game, but with fixed characters and less freedom in building your own.

Second of all, the Berserk story isn't even concluded (and likely never will be) so you'd be retreading the goddamn Golden-Age-up-to-the-eclipse arc AGAIN.

Miyazaki already took from Berserk everything he wanted and put that into Souls, there really is no need for a licensed version of it.

-
#CyberSoulsNihei team is where it's at.

low-G

King's Field V and/or cyberpunk souls pls

Yeah, a new GREAT kings field (lighter Dark Souls in first person more or less) would be amazing to me.

Also, imagine being a mech pilot, with full Armored Core style upgrading & customization, yet you're going through a crazy world like Dark Souls (interesting complex level design, some tight spaces, no boring city / outdoors generic crap)

Yes, please do more Souls games with a different setting. Fantasy is so boring to me. It's the main reason I avoided the series up until Bloodborne (which I freaking love).

First of all, Dark Souls is basically Berserk, somewhat tamed down in violence and gore (which would happen with a Berserk videogame regardless).
So you'd just be getting another Souls game, but with fixed characters and less freedom in building your own.

Second of all, the Berserk story isn't even concluded (and likely never will be) so you'd be retreading the goddamn Golden-Age-up-to-the-eclipse arc AGAIN.

Miyazaki already took from Berserk everything he wanted and put that into Souls, there really is no need for a licensed version of it.

-

Who said anything about a Souls Berserk type game? (Not that I wouldn't want a faster combat oriented one)

Give me a Berserk fighting game!

I think this, "take said theme/setting and apply Souls formula to it", is extremely short sighted and completely missing the point. If I were From, I would do the following as an armchair CEO:

--King's Field V for PS4, co-developed with Japan Studio
--Otogi 3 for Xbox One, co-developed with Microsoft Games Studio
--Lost Kingdoms 3 for Wii U/NX, co-developed with Nintendo producers, etc.
--Tenchu, cross platform, with similar online integration as the Souls titles (they still own this, right?)

Done. Portfolio instantly more interesting and diverse than what they've been doing for the past few years.

Just a bunch of sequels?

Am I the only one who would love a portable Dark Souls? Anywhere would do. If mobile though, please have full controller support.

every single time i pick up my vita i wish i could play souls on it. bloodborne and DSII via remote play is great, even with some wonky touch controls

Jashobeam

My hype levels for Dark Souls 3 just went up 10 fold! I absolutely cannot wait to see what Miyazaki's warped mind cooks up this time.

Give us SciFi Cosmic Horror Souls.

That is something only From could master. Then push some Mech Gameplay in it for all those Armored Core fans: Perfect.

silva1991

-

It doesn't have to be a souls berserk game. action character Berserk game would be great with interconnected world design on the level of Bloodborns.

also it doesn't have to follow the manga, the game can easily be reimagined version of it with actual ending.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Glad to hear hes branching out. Really dont want the poor guy to get burnt out on Souls. Souls exists the way it does because hes was passionate about doing something new and different.

UrbanRats

It doesn't have to be a souls berserk game. action character Berserk game would be great with interconnected world design on the level of Bloodborns.

also it doesn't have to follow the manga, the game can easily be reimagined version of it with actual ending.
Well then i don't see why y'all would even want FROM to do it.
And if you re-imagine it, what benefit is Berserk really giving you, that a random "dark fantasy with big sword" wouldn't already? A darker Dragon's Dogma would probably already be there.

AESplusF

I want to see a new IP or at least a very different souls game, don't know why so many of you just want him to use an old IP

To piss of any fan? No. You should not shit on those who will buy your game 100%. Many Berserk fans are playing Dark and Demon Souls because they are like the Black Swordsman arc without the Berserk story. Demon Souls is much more Berserk than any game could be imo.

To piss of any fan? No. You should not shit on those who will buy your game 100%. Many Berserk fans are playing Dark and Demon Souls because they are like the Black Swordsman arc without the Berserk story. Demon Souls is much more Berserk than any game could be imo.

Dragon's Dogma says hi.

Bl@de

Maybe Miyazaki will revisit Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox One. Time for Microsoft to win NPD. Exclusive bundles with console + game + usa flags for everyone.

chozen

There was a thread here earlier talking about a Souls game that would have a Sci-Fi setting inspired by HR Griger. That would be genuinely scary and badass. Imagine being in an alien mother ship with like a wrench or something idk.

Dragons Dogma feels so god damn generic when it comes to monster design. Also its too easy and too fast. Not really getting that Berserk feeling while playing Dragons Dogma.

Too fast? I see this mentioned a lot - especially when it comes to discussions about if Platinum should make a Berserk game.

Why does everyone think Guts is slow? Am I reading a different manga here? The dude is super quick when it comes to combat.

Top Bottom