• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria will only be 30FPS on PS4 and PC

http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/tales-of-zestiria-reveals-its-pc-specs-ps4-info/

Both the PC and PS4 version will run at a 1920×1080 resolution with PC supporting resolutions up to 4K. Full HD here we come! They also benefit from many other graphical improvements: the draw distance is 2x times what it is on PS3, with the PC version having a “far” option improving it even more. Shadows, anti-aliasing and textures also got upgraded. The PC version will allow you to switch between low, medium and high for all the preceding options.

It’s now time to talk about the framerate; all versions of Tales of Zestiria will run at a constant 30 frames per second. Before you run off to the comment section, hear us out! The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!

Somewhere in the distance, a group of Steam users who weren't planning on playing it anyway are now complaining about 30fps on twitter and YouTube.

I have been thoroughly clocked multiple times for this line so I've taken it out, sorry. Was more inflammatory than I meant it to be.

Sophia

Well they best hope their justification holds out and the game IS locked to the animations. They're gonna look really silly if someone mods it to 60 FPS and none of the animations, balance, difficulty, or overall fighting mechanics need adjusted. >_>;

Although, at least they were nice enough to be upfront about the reasoning for it. That's good at least.

LewieP

"Before you run off to the comment section, hear us out!"

All I hear is "It's not our fault, we're just releasing a game on a platform without designing that game to be played on the platform.

Somewhere in the distance, a group of Steam users who weren't planning on playing it anyway are now bitching about 30fps on twitter and YouTube.

I mean really, how did any people who refuse to play 30fps games survive before PC hardware was affordable.

They survived by lowering the settings. That's the great thing about options and choice.

Tagyhag

What is it with Japanese developers and locking animations to 30fps? Fucking stop that.

Games like Naruto would feel so much better if we didn't have to deal with that lowest common denominator bullshit.

Weebos

Banned
What did Xillia run at?

And Vesperia for that matter?

They're the last two I played and I'm curious if I'll even notice.

FoneBone

I'm not blaming the port team, but devs really need to stop hard-locking framerates. Look at it as future-proofing if you ever want to rerelease it on more powerful platforms.

Hikami

Well that's a shame but,
The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!
There are Tales games that run at 60fps..
--
I'll probably end up waiting on a price drop for the PS4 version then. Unless someone can unlock it on PC without breaking the game.
But well, if I have nothing to play around the time it releases then I'll get it anyways. I've played several Tales games at 30fps already, one more wouldn't hurt.

KingBroly

Banned
What did Xillia run at?

And Vesperia for that matter?

They're the last two I played and I'm curious if I'll even notice.

Vesperia and Graces were 60

I think Xillia was 30, but I don't remember off hand.

Don't get me started on the Symphonia remakes. Bastardized ports, IMO. Original ran at 60fps, remake is 30.

That's disappointing. So the game's logic was tied to the framerate?

ToS on Gamecube had the right idea with 60fps.

I think tying logic to framerate is forgivable if you develop a game with the intention of it only being on a platform that can only handle the visuals you want at 30fps. By the time they decided to do PS4 and PC ports for Zestiria they were most likely way too far along for it to be practical to go back and re-write all the code that was built around the assumption of a locked 30fps.

If the *next* Tales game has that same issue, then that's something worth shitting on them for, absolutely.

bigkrev

I'll give them the benefit of doubt right now, but man, they know that someone will figure out how to uncap the framerate within hours/days of the game coming out, so they better not be lying about it breaking the gameplay.

Nimajneb

The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!

Translation: The game is a poorly coded mess and we don't have the time to fix it.

Pejo

Gold Member
In the vast majority of games, I still prefer 30 FPS, so I'm ok with it. I hope this doesn't hurt the Steam pre-order rank 3 reward goal though. I really would like that free copy of Symphonia.

KiteGr

SW_LukeNo1-011.gif

wrowa

I'm just glad that it's coming to PS4 and PC at all, honestly. I actually think that it's a bit silly to complain about this when the game was obviously not meant to get ported to PS4 and PC in the first place - and we all know that Japanese developers still tend to link FPS to game logic.

If you don't want to buy it then that is obviously your decision, but I do think that this is not really the kind of game where you should feel an entitlement that you deserve the best possible version. However, if the next proper Tales mainline game will be locked to 30FPS on PC as well, then complain away.

cyress8

Banned
Back in the day, I remember reading that tying your game logic to framerates was something a new game dev would do and was frowned upon. Now it seems that it is the norm.

I need to find that article one day.

As said in the other thread, sucks that the framerate is locked to 30fps because of bad programming habits. But at least, it seems like they're preparing a good PC port, with even more options to make this game shine even more.

By adjusting their settings. You know, that thing that you have always been able to do.
PC hardware has always been mildly affordable

They survived by lowering the settings. That's the great thing about options and choice.
Okay, but it's only recently that there's been a resurgence in PC gaming - back when multiplatform games often didn't come to PC, what did people play if they refused to play anything at 30fps? Did they just skip all the great PS1/PS2/N64/Gamecube games because they didn't run at 60fps?

I'm not blaming the port team, but devs really need to stop hard-locking framerates. Look at it as future-proofing if you ever want to rerelease it on more powerful platforms.

This is the gist of it. It's not NB America's fault. They are pushing Zestiria onto other systems how they can. It sucks that the original devs didn't think of porting Zestiria to other systems, so they locked the framerate like that, but it is what it is.

You either take it as it is or go home. There's no use complaining about it.

Vesperia and Graces were 60

I think Xillia was 30, but I don't remember off hand.

I believe Xillia was 60 in battle, 30 otherwise.

But again, just because other Tales games were built to handle 60 doesn't mean it's any easier for this one to be 60. If they wrote a lot of the game logic around the assumption of 30fps then making it support 60 without any bugs is a lot harder than commenting out the line of code that says "if it's been more than 0.0333ms since the last frame, wait."

Top Bottom